Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X News / General Discussion

Hypothetical: Fuji 27mm f1.7 'classic'
Old 08-22-2016   #1
gavinlg

Hypothetical: Fuji 27mm f1.7 'classic'

I was thinking about Fujifilms extraordinary lens lineup for their XF mount the other day - specifically about the coming 23/50mm f2 lenses and their doubling up on focal lengths with differing characteristics. Obviously this is great for photographers (not so great for their wallets if you can justify each version of each focal length - which isn't hard to do!). Then I started thinking about a lens I would like for my XF mount cameras.

I've been using the diminutive 27mm pancake a lot recently and it makes for an excellent travel lens, being tiny, sharp, relatively flare free etc. But that 27mm (40mm equiv) focal length is just crying out for something a bit more special.
Why not do something a little weird Mr Fuji-san and develop a 40mm equivalent fast classic prime as a sort of homage to the great little japanese rangefinder cameras of the 70s and 80s (himatic 7sII/yashica GSN/canonet).

Here's my mock design brief:
- 'Classic' labelling or 'Fujinon-C' distinguishes it as a seperate lens to the usual XF lens range in same vein as the APD 56mm.

- Lens size must be small - somewhere around the 35mm f2, but fatter in the lens barrel to accomodate the faster aperture.

- Inspiration lenses should be the Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.5 sonnar-c, the voigtlander 40mm nokton f1.4 classic and the summicron 35mm f2 pre-asph.

- Optical design should be non-reliant on aspheric elments as to channel the 'classic' look and some barrel type distortion is acceptable. Excess barrel distortion should be corrected via software rather than optically to allow for smaller lens design. Some amount of spherical abberation engineered into the optical design would give the lens a dreamy or 'glowy' bokeh - ala the nikon 58mm f1.4G or the Voigtlander nokton f1.4's. Aperture should be between f1.4 and f1.7 at the slowest.

- RRP should be around $600-$700us.

I would personally be lining up to buy such a lens, especially with the 40mm equivalent focal length. The question is, would you be interested?

Old 08-22-2016   #2
Jdi

I'm not keen on participating in the institutionalizing of software corrected lenses. Why not put the glow in software as well, ala a Toy camera type sim. Especially for $600-$700. I'd rather put my money in non-native glass if I want that kind of look. Adaptable to many systems, less initial expense, virtually no depreciation.

Old 08-22-2016   #3
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

DEFINITELY! I'd add to your wish list the idea of a
manual focus-only lens with a Leica-style focusing tab. I assume Fuji wouldn't consider such a thing since most of their current camera bodies aren't that much fun to use with MF lenses. However I'd love one for use with my X-Pro2.

In any case, I'd love a Nokton-like 27! Fuji... Put me on the waiting list. 😊

Fuji digital; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-22-2016   #4
jsrockit

I'd love to see a 30mm (45mm equiv) for Fuji.

Old 08-22-2016   #5
kshapero
goin' fishin'

Give me a 14 mm manual focus and I will just hyper focal for instant auto focus. Voila

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-22-2016   #6
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Give me a 14 mm manual focus and I will just hyper focal for instant auto focus. Voila
Doesn't Fuji already make that? I mean its an AF lens, but with a pretty good manual focus ring.

Old 08-22-2016   #7
Jdi

30/45 equivalent? The 27.

As above, the 14 is quite nice to focus manually, has the scale. I find all the collared lenses quite nice to MF with. Different than a true MF lens but nice damping and smooth enough. Actually I find them easier to MF than a lot of the MF glass I've had. Unfortunately, those lenses are also rather large.

Old 08-22-2016   #8
f16sunshine

Yes, I would try it.
When I tried the 27mm I liked it but would take a larger faster lens with classic character.
The xf f1.4/35mm is my favorite because it has a bit of chaacter. Fuji lenses can be a bit too "perfect". (My opinion)

Old 08-22-2016   #9
SaveKodak

The 27 as it is now SHOULD have been an f2 at least, even at the expense of some size. But yes, Fuji's lens rendering is generally pretty boring. They would do well to integrate some character in their otherwise decent line up. Then again, as your focal lengths get shorter (which they have to be on this format), you lose character first generally. That's part of why I don't like APS-C cameras. The first thing to go is the rendering.

Old 08-22-2016   #10
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdi View Post
30/45 equivalent? The 27.
Nah, that's a 41mm not 45mm. Seems like a little to you, but to me there's a big difference.

Old 08-22-2016   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
But yes, Fuji's lens rendering is generally pretty boring. They would do well to integrate some character in their otherwise decent line up.
hahaha, funny.

OK, Gav, it's a deal
Old 08-22-2016   #12
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

OK, Gav, it's a deal

Wouldn't be my choice but as long as some people like it, I'm in. Always glad to see any lenses added to the Fuji line.

Now, can you help campaign for my longed for Small-But-Not-A Pancake, optically corrected, sharp at all apertures, WR,
16mm f2.8?

Oh, and an X-E3 to stick it on, please.

Panasonic GX1, 20mm 1.7

Fuji XE-2, X Pro 2,
w/ 18-55 Fuji
12mm Zeiss,
16mm 1.4, 35 1.4, 56mm 1.2 Fuji
Fuji X100s

Nikon F
Nikon D800e with 6 primes and
a zoomer (70-200 f4)

In Memoriam: Mamiya 7ll with 50, 80 and 150 mm lenses---The best camera I've ever owned.

Old 08-22-2016   #13
Jdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyongazer View Post
Wouldn't be my choice but as long as some people like it, I'm in. Always glad to see any lenses added to the Fuji line.

Now, can you help campaign for my longed for Small-But-Not-A Pancake, optically corrected, sharp at all apertures, WR,
16mm f2.8?

Oh, and an X-E3 to stick it on, please.

Hopefully you mean a WR X-E3. If they expand the WR primes, they have a head start on their competitors as they're few and far between. I'd love to have a small WR system. Usual primes a shorter/smaller zoom than the 18-135.

Old 08-22-2016   #14
emayoh
Rangefindered User

I would like something like the original poster requested. In the meantime, I picked up a Zonlai 25mm f/1.8 manual focus lens in Fuji mount. I added a Taab focusing tab, and voila: It's one of my fave walkin' around lenses. Since it is native Fuji mount, there is no adapter, the size is perfect. The only issue is that the aftermarket Taab covers up the distance scale, but after 18 months of manual focusing with an XPro1 and XE2, I have really gotten the hang of MF with the Fuji. I really feel it comes close to what it felt like walking around with my beloved Canonet.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_osac...+25mm&_sacat=0

https://www.lenstab.com/product-category/taab/

Old 08-22-2016   #15
nongfuspring

Sure, I would. I don't care about the classic designation but my favorite lenses are the ones that are less "perfect". Center sharpness is important but I don't really mind light falloff, chromatic abberation, soft corners etc. Appx 40mm is my favorite FL but the 27mm 2.8 is too slow and too uninteresting for me.

Old 08-23-2016   #16
gavinlg

Quote:
I'm not keen on participating in the institutionalizing of software corrected lenses. Why not put the glow in software as well, ala a Toy camera type sim. Especially for $600-$700. I'd rather put my money in non-native glass if I want that kind of look. Adaptable to many systems, less initial expense, virtually no depreciation.
Well, the glow of spherical abberation can't be added in software. Lenses like the 35mm f2 prove that software correction of optical distortion doesn't really reduce IQ any practical amount - by comparison with the optically corrected 35mm f1.4. It's all a compromise - the software distortion correction just means the lens can be smaller. For what it's worth, fujifilm already has a well corrected 27mm too.

Non-native glass is fun to play around with, but manual focussing sucks with crop sensors and digital bodies.

Old 08-23-2016   #17
willie_901

Quote:
I'm not keen on participating in the institutionalizing of software corrected lenses. ...
Too late. That ship has sailed. Even Leica implements vignetting corrections via coded lenses. The T and SL lines also support Leica lens software corrections.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-23-2016   #18
jsrockit

I just don't care... if the lens works for photography, I use it.

Old 08-23-2016   #19
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
The 27 as it is now SHOULD have been an f2 at least, even at the expense of some size.
I've definitely said this a few times. It is nice to have a lens that's both super cheap and super small, but the f2.8 is just too limiting and the 40mm focal length is just too nice to not have something a bit special.

Old 08-23-2016   #20
Jdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Too late. That ship has sailed. Even Leica implements vignetting corrections via coded lenses. The T and SL lines also support Leica lens software corrections.
As well as the Q. Which is where I came to my position. If the lens can't be fully corrected, as is the case with the Q, and Leica put's it's name on it, where will we be 5, 10 years from now? My software corrected xc16-50, after correction, is hardly a 16, it crops close to 18.

Maybe I've been pixel peeping too much.

Old 09-05-2016   #21
gavinlg

Oh what could have been.... Double that size and f2 at minimum and they'll sell just as many

Old 09-05-2016   #22
f16sunshine

Quote:
As well as the Q. Which is where I came to my position. If the lens can't be fully corrected, as is the case with the Q, and Leica put's it's name on it, where will we be 5, 10 years from now? My software corrected xc16-50, after correction, is hardly a 16, it crops close to 18. Maybe I've been pixel peeping too much.
The 16-50 is a cheap zoom lens that likely requires a lot of correction.
Other lenses show little to no crop.
Take the corrected xf 2/35mm for example. Compared to the uncorrected xf1.4/35 , ....there is little to no crop effect. They give a nearly identical fov. (2/35 is a touch closer at near distances).
Software lens correction is no more or less an issue in digital cameras than interpolation or any other processing required to create an image.

Cheers

Old 09-06-2016   #23
taemo

I've had the XF27mm for a week now and it's great, but I definitely wish that
a. it has an aperture ring and b. it was faster (f/2)
Been thinking of the XF23mm WR now instead of the XF27mm.

Old 09-12-2016   #24
Dogman

For what it is--a pancake design--I like the 27mm just fine. It's small, sharp and makes cameras like the X-E2(S) almost X100-like.

Being faster would be a "nice-to-have" but not really necessary for my use, especially if it increases the size. But an aperture ring...? Oh yes.

Old 09-30-2016   #25
dee

Interesting ,I come from a different perspective -I am simply grateful that I could pick up a new digital camera ,X-Pro 1,+ 41mm lens equ at around £310 ,because there are no fixed lens compacts at 40mm.
I also use a 35mm CV on the M8.
Rendering is another world to me , although I love my Summitar .
Stylish Fuji X-Pro 1 / X-M1 and quirky Pentax K-S1
Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' constant dee'sorientation contained.