What is your P&S of choice? Film
Old 11-22-2018   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

What is your P&S of choice? Film

I have to admit, I have always been intrigued by point and shoot cameras.

Up until recently I had a VERY large collection of various thrift store cameras of all makes. I’m talking Rubbermaid tubs... and it took forever to clean them out! A few nice members here took a majority of it off my hands.

Still holding a few of the “better” for the Xmas giveaway thread.

I have kept the Canon ML and Nikon L35 although it seems unfair to let them sit!

All of this has me thinking about some of my favs over the years.

Yashica : T2 T4D
Konica : A4
Nikon: Lite*Touch 28
Olympus: MJU Trip Jr. XA

Just to name a few I can distinctively remember.

Alternatively you can feed my gas by providing some details about your camera. I really WISH I had a P&S that allowed for Manual ISO selection that was somewhat small... at least compared to the big ol Canon ML.

Let’s talk!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 11-22-2018   #2
santino
eXpect me

For the last months Canon MC...

Old 11-22-2018   #3
Swift1

I used a Fuji Klasse (original) quite a lot for 2 years. Superb little camera with an excellent lens. I couldn't really use it anymore, so I sold it here this past spring.
One of my favorite P&S cameras, and one I wouldn't ever sell, is my Minolta PROD-20s. It's an odd camera, with questionable quality, but it's fun as hell, and I love the images from it.
Here's a link to my Flickr album from the Minolta,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daiku_...57652165115022

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-22-2018   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Due to failing af and electronics in them, I like them with fixed focus, one aperture, one speed and manual flash.
I have one of these in diving case and another with panoramic frame chamber and matching VF.
Both were under ten dollars in charity shop.
Which is pricey, for 26 I had Nikkormat, flash and case at the same store.

Old 11-22-2018   #5
MadsJaeger

Contax T2 - because it’s just awesome!

Old 11-22-2018   #6
NickTrop

I enjoyed the following point-n-shooters:

Yashica T3
Minolta Hi Matic AF2
Olympus XA (though that's a rangefinder)
Ricoh FF90
and last but not least... the
Nikon L35AF.

The above all have one thing in common. F2.8 lens. Sorry, 3.5 is too slow for a fixed lens. These cameras also often want to use those godawful pop-up flashes and you usually have no choice in the matter with a couple exceptions.

Here's my preference

1. Olympus XA. Smallest. A true rangefinder. Really good results. Though it's not really a point-n-shoot hence two "1's".
1. Minolta Hi Matic AF2. This is my main recommendation for several reasons. Here's why. Manual film advance. I (personally) wouldn't spend the asking price on anything with a motor or lots of electronics. Forget the Nikon Ti's (though they're coo' as heck.), Hexars, etc. I've owned a number of point-n-shoots. They all die without warning. The electronics go. And these things are old and cheaply made. Also -- these film advances are noisy as hell. Forget using anything with a motorized film advance for candids or street photography. Also, this Minolta can be had cheaply and is overlooked. Yashica also made one with a 38mm lens, f2.8, and manual film advance. Build quality cheap as hell. Has control over flash.
2. Nikon L35AF. Sleek looking design. Decent plastic build quality. Sonnar lens design (though I didn't notice much difference -- actually vignettes more). Control over pop-up flash.
3. Yashica T3. The top viewfinder is a gimmick and worthless. Cheap as hell build quality. Clunky. The much vaunted "Zeiss" lens with "T coating" is also mostly a marketing gimmick and is only maybe a tiny bit better than other point-n-shoots. No control over flash. Not worth the current asking price. Mine just died without warning.
4. Ricoh FF90. Probably the best (sharpest) lens of the bunch, imo. But they're all in roughly the same -- simple tessar designs with the Nikon being the only Sonnar. Chunky. Noisy film advance.

So. In conclusion. I find the 3.5 lenses on these cameras frustrating because you'll be using awful pop-up flash often with no say in the matter. Don't buy into the hype about this lens or that lens. They're all okay and none blows the others away. The Yashica renders colors maybe a tad better. The Ricoh maybe a tad sharper. Those with motors are noisy as hell. And? For whatever reason, they're all overpriced imo.

So... try to find the Minolta Hi Matic AF2. No cheap film advance motor to die. No obnoxious motor noise so it can be used for candids and street photography. F2.8 lens. Control over flash. Not overpriced because it's overlooked. Or look for the similarly spec'd Yashica. Because of fast auto focus it's a real sleeper for street photography over a rangefinder.

I wouldn't spend any crazy dollars on higher end ones. You can keep'em. Nikon T28/35, Contax T2,3 etc. I simply don't trust the electronics. If they were cheaper -- sure. But they're not.

If I was to purchase one today it would have to have:
1. F2.8 lens
2. Manual film advance
3. Control over pop-up flash.

This limits your selection down to a couple early models. (I think Konica also made one too.) Fortunately, they're also cheaper.

Old 11-22-2018   #7
aizan

for manual iso selection, i've got the konica c35 af2 (manually select iso 25-400) and the rollei 35 (if that counts, iso 25-1600).

the af2 is larger than p&s cameras from the 90s, but the lens doesn't stick out much.

anyhow, the cooking is done! just have to wait for the party to start. happy thanksgiving!

Old 11-22-2018   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

Already on the road to our second party of the day.

Yashica T* D is an option, noticing that it has a ISO selector under the lens.

Odd how cameras like the Minolta Riva and Leica Mini cost SO much and offer so little.

Old 11-22-2018   #9
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

Really like the Olympus Infinity Stylus, but recently I switched over to a Pentax Espio Mini. Slightly wider lens (32mm vs 35mm) and I like the better handling.

Old 11-22-2018   #10
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Some of the camera I've used:

Olympus XA3, 3.5 lens. useful +1.5EV switch. Quiet since it's manual film advance.

Yashica T AF, original model of the very hyped series.3.5 lens. Flash is off by default. Holding shutter button down can delay motorised film advance. ISO selected manually. A bit bulky.

Olympus Mju ii. Very compact, 2.8 lens. Missed AF most among all my ps cameras. Flash is on by default and it goes on again if you restart the camera.

Olympus Mju. 3.5 lens. Bigger than the Mju I but feels better in hands.

Konica Bigmini BM201. Noisiest of the bunch. Has Close focus. You don't need to turn the camera off since it has a protective lens filter built-in, so you can have the flash off all the time.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 11-22-2018   #11
dourbalistar

Do you prefer AF or is zone focus acceptable?

Nukecoke mentioned the Olympus XA3, but the XA2 also has manual ISO selection. It lacks the +1.5EV switch, but I believe it's more plentiful and therefore a little cheaper on the second hand market. The XA3 automatically reads DX codes, so if you want to push/pull, you'd have to hack the DX on the cassette or tape over the contacts and set the ISO manually.

flickr

Old 11-22-2018   #12
ptpdprinter

I used to carry an Olympus XA in the car with me, but one day I realized that my phone had a camera in it.

Old 11-22-2018   #13
daveywaugh
Blah

I like the Fuji Klasse. It's my main P&S. Also like the Ricoh GR1v for something a bit wider.

Old 11-22-2018   #14
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Minolta Hi-Matic E , 'cuz it got this pic , Peter

Old 11-22-2018   #15
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Do you really point&shoot with XA and Rollei 35? From my experience with both they aren't P&S cameras. I'm not sure if my manual film advance, point and shoot cameras are P&S. .

Not every compact camera is P&S and not every P&S is compact. Like Konica AF and Minolta AF-D.

Old 11-22-2018   #16
aizan

The Minolta TC-1 lets you manually set ISO from 6-6400. Later models of the Minolta AF-C allow ISO 100-1000 (only goes to ISO 400 on the early ones).

Old 11-22-2018   #17
coogee

Olympus XA2 is my favourite P&S. No focus required.

I used to love disposable cardboard cameras back in the day of 'drugstore development'.

Old 11-22-2018   #18
bucs

My first point and shoot was a Hexar AF. It died and I swore I would never buy a PnS again.

Then I found an Olympus Mju in a thrift store for $3. Sold it for $70. Not a bad deal!

I'd probably spring for a Yashica T3 if and when prices normalize.

Old 11-22-2018   #19
dxq.canada

I used to work at a camera store in the 80-90's, and I have seen many come through my shop. I have to give credits to the Yashica T4, Nikon x5Ti's, Olympus 0-product ... I've only owned one P&S and that was the Olympus Stylus. Great camera.

Old 11-22-2018   #20
jamin-b

I have a few, but the one I always seem to bring along on trips is the Fuji Tiara. It's so tiny, light and produces great images at 28mm.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Old 11-22-2018   #21
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsJaeger View Post
Contax T2 - because it’s just awesome!
Contax T3 for the same reason. Never looked back to other P&S since. If it ever breaks I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Juergen

Old 11-22-2018   #22
BernardL

Oly MjuII. Good IQ. Many times my second camera.

Yashica T4. As above, plus better close focus capability.

Old 11-23-2018   #23
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I’ve been through a lot of the middle to high end P&S cameras over the years. Still shooting the Nikon 28Ti, and the Contax T2. Liked the Ricoh GR and the T3 a lot too, but the T3 was too small for me, The Ricoh developed LCD bleed, and had some loose parts on the back, and somewhat inexplicably I preferred the Nikon in the hand for a wide P&S. I shot a Fuji DL mini zoom for a time as well, tiny and slippery, but worked well with color film.

The Nikon currently is with me, loaded with the last of my Fuji Industrial 100, the T2 is home with some ORWO UN54 in it. Will switch to Portra 160 in the Nikon tomorrow most likely.

Old 11-23-2018   #24
David Hughes
David Hughes

No particular order; Olympus XA2, µ-I and the Trip 35. Then there's the Yashica 35-ME, Konica A4 and C35AF, Leica mini I, II and III (and the Panasonic and Minolta cousins), Pentax ESPIO mini and - with zoom lenses on them - the Pentax ESPIO 928M and Olympus µ-V.

Trouble is, I like them all...

Regards, David

Old 11-23-2018   #25
Pioneer

The only point and shoot I own is an Olympus Stylus Epic. Totally auto though I can shut off the flash if I remember. Takes great photos but it rarely gets used.

Instead I am usually carrying my Leica III which really doesn't count as a point and shoot, though I often use it that way.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 11-23-2018   #26
BillBingham2

My favorite was the Ricoh GR. Just barely larger than a roll of 35mm, great lens, fast handling, I miss her. Sadly not made to survive a drop onto maple flooring from six feet up (top of a TV in bed room).

Does my Bessa L / CV 25/4 Snap-Shot count? It's a very close second IMHO.

Never owned one but have lusted after an XA4 on and off for many years.

B2 (;->

Old 11-23-2018   #27
B-9
Devin Bro

I do not use my Leica much these days,

Considering selling it more and more.

Never shot a film GR but have been enticed by them and the older R1s.

I think I may fall into one sooner or later if the price is right.

Old 11-23-2018   #28
narsuitus

Favorite Point & Shoot Cameras:

Nikon L35 AF 35mm camera with 35mm f/2.8 lens (own 9)
Canon Sure Shot 35mm camera with 38mm f/2.8 lens (own 3)
Mazda/Vivitar 35mm camera with 27mm lens (own 2)
GoPhoto Aqua Pix 35mm Underwater Camera (own 1)
Kodak Instamatic 104 (used 126 film) (sold)
Diana (used 120 film) (sold)
Vivitar Vivicam 3615 digital camera 2.1 Meg
Hewlett Packard Photosmart M425 5mp digital camera

Point & Shoot Camera by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 11-23-2018   #29
farlymac
PF McFarland

I liked any P&S that had a 35mm lens on it, but I could settle for a 38mm.

My all time favorite was one that I finally had to give up on after the fourth one went belly up. It was the Canon Sure Shot 120 Classic, with an aluminum clad front, and many controls on the back for just about any situation. But those dials and buttons proved to be it's downfall because of no weather sealing.

Not like I took them out in the rain, but I ruined one of them because I had it in my shirt pocket on a very hot summer day, and the sweat condensed on it, shorting everything out.

The next one arrived DOA from Goodwill's online store, while the third one had this infuriating film loading fault where it wouldn't wind the film when you closed the door until you popped the back open and then closed it again. That one just stopped working one day. Then the last one quit focusing whenever the lens was zoomed out to telephoto.

This is why I miss them:

Canon Sure Shot 120 Classic on 8 years expired Kodak Gold 100

Whatever by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Old 11-24-2018   #30
B-9
Devin Bro

Im going to try the self imploding Ricoh R1s.

Purchased a "as-is" one in need of a new power button. Maybe Ill get one good one from two parts cameras.

Im definitely not paying 100-150$ for one, 40$ is more my budget.

They look easy enough to take apart, and plenty of info on the pano hack for the 24mm option, has led me down a rabbit hole. Ive got the tools and maybe the time.

Is anyone actively repairing these ricoh cameras?

Old 11-24-2018   #31
Bill Clark

I have a Minolta Hi-Matic G that I exercise every once in a while.

Old 11-24-2018   #32
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I used to carry an Olympus XA in the car with me, but one day I realized that my phone had a camera in it.
Your phone takes film?

Old 11-24-2018   #33
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
I used a Fuji Klasse (original) quite a lot for 2 years. Superb little camera with an excellent lens. I couldn't really use it anymore, so I sold it here this past spring.
One of my favorite P&S cameras, and one I wouldn't ever sell, is my Minolta PROD-20s. It's an odd camera, with questionable quality, but it's fun as hell, and I love the images from it.
Here's a link to my Flickr album from the Minolta,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daiku_...57652165115022
Thanks to u I bought one! Full set, like new. Put a roll of film thru it, put it away. Hard to use when I got a Rollei QZ. That camera is incredible, full auto and manual control, shutter speed up to 1/8000, lens matches up to my Leica 28 asph when I tested them side by side.

Old 11-24-2018   #34
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Thanks to u I bought one! Full set, like new. Put a roll of film thru it, put it away. Hard to use when I got a Rollei QZ. That camera is incredible, full auto and manual control, shutter speed up to 1/8000, lens matches up to my Leica 28 asph when I tested them side by side.
Klasse or PROD-20s?
Ya that Rollei QZ is kinda in its own league, especially in terms features.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-24-2018   #35
Fuchs

As favourites, Contax T3 and Yashica T4 super (T5 in the US, I think). Also the Rollei 35 AFM (same as Fuji Klasse) and QZ, this last barely pocketable being larger than my M6
My flickr

Old 11-24-2018   #36
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Klasse or PROD-20s?
Ya that Rollei QZ is kinda in its own league, especially in terms features.
Prod 20s

I wasnt into the Klasse as from what I read you couldnt access the full range of features all the time - weird aperture/shutter speed thresholds and a meter that doesnt read below 4ev

Old 11-24-2018   #37
B-9
Devin Bro

I still have a black Hi-Matic F that I really enjoyed when I was younger, as well as a pretty odd scale focus Ricoh 500ST that has a mechanical shutter that is easily set manually without the batteries. I even have the uncommon clockwork winder for the Ricoh. Loud cumbersome and incredibly unique.

Old 11-24-2018   #38
nzeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
4. Ricoh FF90. Probably the best (sharpest) lens of the bunch, imo. But they're all in roughly the same -- simple tessar designs with the Nikon being the only Sonnar. Chunky. Noisy film advance.
i also use ricoh ff90 and recommend-perfect lens. i also started thread about that lens on it because it says 5 elements / 5 groups... are you sure its tessar? is there a scheme or more info online?

Old 11-24-2018   #39
dmr
Registered Abuser

Promise ya won't laugh, please? I know this is heresy to some.

For several years my carry-everywhere camera was an Olympus Stylus Zoom. I even bought a new one when the original one started falling apart, literally.

Then, maybe 8-9 years ago or so, I got a hand-me-down Kodak DX4530 {d-word} camera. Yes, the original owner "upgraded" to something with more megapixels.

I took a number of shots with it and discovered, surprisingly, that I liked it!

The one issue (at the time) was that I was told that the only way to get the photos from the camera to the computer was to connect this cable, wait, launch their photo-copy application, wait, wait, wait, select the photos I wanted to copy and hit the "copy" button and wait, wait, wait and wait some more for the actual copy.

Then I learned (maybe here, it was one of the other boards) that I could simply buy a SD card reader, take the card out of the camera, plug it into the PC, and copy in a few seconds!

As I shot it more and more, I realize I liked it more and more!

The pros of this camera are that it's small, but not too small to handle.

It has a real optical zoom viewfinder! I **NEED** a viewfinder. I just can't compose holding a camera out in front of me, particularly on a sunny day.

It runs FOREVER on one battery!

And (LOL) it's so low on the pecking order that NOBODY is gonna dare steal it!

I think it produces great photos! Really. I daresay that the color rendition is somewhat Kodachrome-ish (see below) or at least Astia-ish.

It's only 5 MP, but I think that it produces cleaner 8x10s than does the newer and fancier Fuji HS30, which, to me, anyway, looks a bit "rough" on sharp edges on a clear 8x10 print.

It has a small built-in flash that actually does a great job (see bottom photo) when there's not enough light indoors. I've used it on occasion as fill outdoors as well and that works fine too.

Would I do any serious work with it? No. Next question please.

It's still my carry-everywhere camera, even though lately I've been carrying around the new Fuji X-T20 more and more. It's larger and heavier but actually quite light and carry-able.

Old 11-24-2018   #40
emraphoto

I gave up large cameras a while back and have been working on P&S cameras for a long time now. All of which means very little, but you asked

If i could pick just one, it would be the Nikon 35ti. I prefer the 35mm focal length so that would be a significant reason. The Contax T3 is exceptional but in my opinion, not 3 times the price exceptional. So, price point factors in. There are many stellar lens/body combinations out there however i need the shutter to fire when i press it, thus eliminating many of them. Personally loved the stylus epic but if timing and shutter response are critical it's not a good chance.

A lot of the photojournalists i know, who were innaugarated circa f100/F5 era, swore by Nikon matrix metering. The 35ti is equally competent.

I suppose the 'fully electronic" concern is valid. With that said, i have used point and shoots for a long time and arguably in tough conditions. the only one that crapped out on me was an Sony rx100 (digital of course).

In my humble opinion the 35ti is the film choice.