Old 09-25-2018   #41
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Beautiful M2 David. I'll have to keep an eye out for a proper adapter with the long notch.

Thanks.

I've put about a dozen pictures and text around the theme of 1930's lenses on my M2 etc here:-

https://idrh.smugmug.com/Leica-Screw...onet-Adapters/

Especially for you there's a picture of what might be part no. 14 097 D...

As it is a work in progress (meaning full of mistakes, perhaps) I'd appreciate any comments on it.

Regards, David

Old 09-25-2018   #42
Erik van Straten

When trying adapters it often seems that the rangefinder is not corrected for infinity. Is it the fault of the rangefinder or the fault of the adapter?

It is important to have at least one camera -preferable an M3- that is absolutely correct.

To adjust the rangefinder of an M camera a slanted screwdriver is necessary. You can adjust the rangefinder by simply turning the big screw in the the middle of the big roller that scans the rangefinder curve of the lens. This is an eccentric screw.
Set the lens to infinity. Look through the viewfinder for an object that is at least two kilometers away. If the distance meter of the camera shows a double image, the distance meter is not adjusted. Use a slanted screwdriver to turn the large screw in the middle of the distance meter's touch roller until the double images of the distance gauge are matched.

Erik.

Old 09-25-2018   #43
xasthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Thanks.

I've put about a dozen pictures and text around the theme of 1930's lenses on my M2 etc here:-

https://idrh.smugmug.com/Leica-Screw...onet-Adapters/

Especially for you there's a picture of what might be part no. 14 097 D...

As it is a work in progress (meaning full of mistakes, perhaps) I'd appreciate any comments on it.

Regards, David
Wow thanks for the photos and info. I have a lot more knowledge on what I will be getting and how all parts will work together.

Besides Ebay are there any other places where I could possibly find good deals on the M2, M3 and M4 cameras?

Old 09-25-2018   #44
Deardorff38

Xastur check out Sherry Krauter's store http://www.sherrykrauter.com/store/ she has an m4 at
$900 & another at $1250

Old 09-26-2018   #45
xasthur

Thanks! I actually sent her a email about a week or 2 ago but she never got back to me.

Old 09-26-2018   #46
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasthur View Post
Thanks! I actually sent her a email about a week or 2 ago but she never got back to me.

She never does. Better trying to call her.

Erik.

Old 09-26-2018   #47
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasthur View Post
Wow thanks for the photos and info. I have a lot more knowledge on what I will be getting and how all parts will work together.

Besides Ebay are there any other places where I could possibly find good deals on the M2, M3 and M4 cameras?
All part of the service.

These days a dealer who gives a guarantee would be your best bet as you need to know what you are buying, get your hands on it and then part with your hard earned cash. Also a repair can cost a lot of money and will probably include something you didn't know about.

The problem, as I see it, is that people believe they last forever and they slowly deteriorate and it goes unnoticed. Then you get the bill and it could be hundreds.

M2's and M3's are easy to find but M4's are chased after and deep pockets are needed.

(EDIT) If you want to go on using the 35 and 50mm lenses you mentioned then the M3 will need an auxillary finder as it does not have framelines for 35mm but takes, instead, a 35mm lens with an optical device to enable you to use it; usually called "goggles" and expensive. The VF optics only fit one special 35mm lens the 1958/68 Summaron which has a special mounting base on top of it. Do a search and you''ll soon find pictures of them; they are often sold separately.

Regards, David