Impressions of the M10
Old 03-27-2017   #1
Nowhereman
-

Impressions of the M10

xxxxxxxxxxx

Old 03-28-2017   #2
willie_901

I like the exposure aesthetic of your night shots... kudos.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-30-2017   #3
Nowhereman
-

Must say that there has been remarkably little interest in this thread since I posted it two days ago, both in terms of the number of views and responses. Seems like it's hardly worth posting here.

Old 03-30-2017   #4
Scheelings

I think everyone is working hard to afford an M10. I think the shots are amazing. Impossible to obtain on the M9 in those light levels (at least hand-held). What kind of shutter speed are you working with?

Old 03-30-2017   #5
Scheelings

Also are you using a whitebalance card? Virtually necessary with the M9 in that kind of lighting

Old 03-30-2017   #6
fenixv8

Thank you for posting Nowhereman, I appreciate your post. The more popular threads are the ones that bash the camera =)

I have had my M10 since release and I am absolutely loving it. I sold my used M8, M240 and a couple lens to help fund it and I am very happy with my decision.

Thank you again for the pics and review.

Old 03-30-2017   #7
Nowhereman
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheelings View Post
...What kind of shutter speed are you working with?
Most of the night shots above are at 1/125 sec, a couple a little faster and one slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheelings View Post
Also are you using a whitebalance card? Virtually necessary with the M9 in that kind of lighting
No I'm shooting with AWB, as I did with the M9; but post-processing for the color casts seems much easier than with the M9. In this type of highly mixed artificial light, I don't find an AWB card useful — with so many different color lights presents it depends where one stands and, in any case, I don't want to neutralize skins tones completely because that is not reality in terms of what the eye sees; better to judge the image as you see it while processing.

Old 03-30-2017   #8
ACullen

Thanks for posting. Looks like the M10 is the one to aim for , I'll probably have enough to buy it just in time for the M12 to be released. In all seriousness it sounds very attractive. I'm an M2 film and Fujifilm XE2 digital user. If I could afford it the M10 would undoubtedly be everything I'd need from a digital Leica.

Old 03-30-2017   #9
Huss

Nice shots.
The way digital photography has become, I cannot tell any difference between what body took the images. They all use CMOS sensors now, and frankly they all look the same to me. The lenses make the difference. And even that can be mucked about with in LR.
For me the choice now is what body is the one that you enjoy using. And that is a big deal.

Old 03-30-2017   #10
Emile de Leon

Seems the M10 is a real good camera..but the interest has died down a bit of late..
How much can you add to the reviews ...except to say..its a really fine camera..and... if you want to pay for it..you will probably really like it..
I still think the M9 files look great..as the cmos files..always look a bit too... perfect to me..almost boring..as in..where's the snap..
But..if I was in the market for a pics only rangefinder cam..the M10 would definitely be it..

Little Interest?
Old 03-30-2017   #11
Dektol Dan

Little Interest?

I check in daily, and this is the first time I have noticed your post.
Odd, but please continue posting shots, the M10 is still very new territory.

Old 03-30-2017   #12
maggieo
More Deadly

The color shots from the M10 are great, but they don't have that Kodachorome "snap" in the reds and blues that the M9 CCD sensor did.

That said, ISO 3200 is pretty amazing!

Old 03-30-2017   #13
Henry Schimke

How do you feel about the imbedded profile the camera includes with DNGs? I found the M9 profile to be fairly useless, but I rather like the 240 profile they want very badly to force on us.

Old 03-30-2017   #14
MCTuomey

nice shots! and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

pretty sure that i'll be getting out of leica soon, despite the M10's considerable attractiveness.

i've become wed to EVFs and autofocus for lowlight shooting, time to move on.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 03-30-2017   #15
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schimke View Post
How do you feel about the imbedded profile the camera includes with DNGs? I found the M9 profile to be fairly useless, but I rather like the 240 profile they want very badly to force on us.
Have you tried the Huelight M240 profiles? I like them a lot.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

My Flickr

Old 03-30-2017   #16
raid
Dad Photographer

Thank you for this thread.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-31-2017   #17
mani

I guess the discussion about 'better skin-tones' and so on, comes up with each new iteration of the digital M. Nowadays I tend to agree with Emile: the look of most digital cameras looks pretty much of a muchness to me.

If I were thinking about buying a new M then the M10 certainly appeals for its dimensions and lack of video, but the heretical thought I come back to, when reviewing images from different M's, is that I still like the muted palette of the M8 with a cut filter attached. Sometimes I even think about getting one again...Of course, it was utter rubbish at higher ISOs.

Otherwise, enjoy your M10 Mitch, and certainly don't take internet commentary to heart - either in favor nor against.

Old 03-31-2017   #18
Nowhereman
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
...Otherwise, enjoy your M10 Mitch, and certainly don't take internet commentary to heart - either in favor nor against.
Mani - Good one, particularly what I bold faced.

For anyone interested in how the M10 color rendition compares to that of the M9 and how to emulate the M9 in processing the much higher dynamic range M10 files it's worthwhile to look at the M10 Facebook Group particulalery the posts of Charles Peterson, who has excellent color sense.

I haven't yet shot enough with the M10 to have definite views and have processed each file (mainly ISO 3200) "one-off": all I can say is that I like the camera, and that one can probably come close to the color rendition that one wants. But I must hasten to say I also like shooting Portra 400 and ISO 400 at 1600

Old 03-31-2017   #19
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Nice shots.
... I cannot tell any difference between what body took the images. They all use CMOS sensors now, and frankly they all look the same to me. ...
But they all use IR filters with different light transmission properties, different cover glass thicknesses, different micro-lens arrays and, most importantly, color-filter array films with different light transmission properties. These differences can affect rendering aesthetics.

Both CMOS and CCD technologies use photo-diodes to convert light energy to electrical charge. Electrical charge does not have aesthetic properties. CCD vs CMOS is primarily about signal-to-noise ratio differences. Secondary issues involve manufacturing cost differences.

CMOS is a good thing because for still imaging of visible light the data (spatial arrays of raw-file digital numbers) has less uncertainty compared to CCD data.

Of course lenses are important. They always were and they always will be.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-31-2017   #20
MCTuomey

mitch, the pre-asph 50 lux shots are very attractive: color value, sharpness & texture in the details, and the overall look. in one shot you're even getting a star pattern at presumably a fairly wide aperture. seems like a very fine combo, the M10 and the pre-asph 50.

My Flickr

Old 03-31-2017   #21
mcfingon
Western Australia

Really excellent shots Nowhereman. You and the M10 are doing very well in a dark environment at high ISO's. I wonder if I can trade an A7S on an M10?

Old 03-31-2017   #22
airfrogusmc

Really wonderful images nowhere. There is now a really long waiting list for this camera here in the US. I have been told maybe more than a year. Tamarkin has 250 on the waiting list. Maybe a good thing for me because I have some time to save my pennies because I really want one of these.

Old 03-31-2017   #23
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
For anyone interested in how the M10 color rendition compares to that of the M9 and how to emulate the M9 in processing the much higher dynamic range M10 files it's worthwhile to look at the M10 Facebook Group particulalery the posts of Charles Peterson, who has excellent color sense.

I haven't yet shot enough with the M10 to have definite views and have processed each file (mainly ISO 3200) "one-off": all I can say is that I like the camera, and that one can probably come close to the color rendition that one wants. But I must hasten to say I also like shooting Portra 400 and ISO 400 at 1600
I went back to the M10 and had a look at Charles' photos and by god, you're right, he really is getting that 'Chrome look from the M10.

I'm very much looking forward to your new work with the M10, Mitch. It looks like you may have just found a "lifer" of a camera for you.

Old 04-05-2017   #24
Nowhereman
-

xxxxxxxxxx

Old 04-05-2017   #25
Henry Schimke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
Have you tried the Huelight M240 profiles? I like them a lot.
I haven't, but I'll check them out. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2017   #26
robert blu
quiet photographer

great photos in difficult light situations, thanks Nowhereman for starting this thread.
I'm just back from a trip to Wetzlar and I couldn't comment earlier (forgotten the new PW!).
I just pick up my M10 a few days ago and really like it, very similar in use to my M7. Of course it depends a lot also on the shooting style each one has. But as my first digital M for the moment it s a joy to use.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 04-10-2017   #27
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
great photos in difficult light situations, thanks Nowhereman for starting this thread.
I'm just back from a trip to Wetzlar and I couldn't comment earlier (forgotten the new PW!).
I just pick up my M10 a few days ago and really like it, very similar in use to my M7. Of course it depends a lot also on the shooting style each one has. But as my first digital M for the moment it s a joy to use.
robert
Wow, Robert, an M10 as your first digital M! Congratulations, and looking forward to your work with it.

John

Old 04-10-2017   #28
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
robert
Nice, Robert! Post pictures!

Old 04-10-2017   #29
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

BW are very pleasing. Color is not my cap of tea.

As for complains about lack of the interest, it is normal. The rush on novelty is over. Now thread named "M10" is same as "M9".

And great news from Robert!

Old 04-10-2017   #30
KM-25

I'd like to see it in even lower light, like EV-2 or less. Most of these seem around EV-5 to 6 given the wrap of light, easy territory for an M240.

Other than that, mine is on order, stacked with assignments lately so I must have missed this one first time around, thanks for posting either way.

Old 04-10-2017   #31
giganova

The current issue of the LFI Magazine has an extensive article that compares the M10 to the M9, M240 and the S, and they conclude that Leica has found the "holy grail" of color rendering with the M10.

Old 04-10-2017   #32
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
The current issue of the LFI Magazine has an extensive article that compares the M10 to the M9, M240 and the S, and they conclude that Leica has found the "holy grail" of color rendering with the M10.
Until the next one.

Old 04-10-2017   #33
MCTuomey

^^^^^

(lawdy how i luv this forum!)

My Flickr

Old 04-15-2017   #34
Nowhereman
-

xxxxxxxxxx

Old 04-15-2017   #35
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post

Foveon via Sigma found the holy grail some time ago ... Leica have spotted a Unicorn but have yet to round it up. Big difference!

Old 04-16-2017   #36
Bruno Gracia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Foveon via Sigma found the holy grail some time ago ... Leica have spotted a Unicorn but have yet to round it up. Big difference!

Albeit I'm a Leica lover, must to admit Sigma is way better in color and b&w, period. Film is another story...

You just have to have a look to Keith photos, they are almost filmic!

Old 04-16-2017   #37
BuzzyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
Here is an M10 shot with the DR Summicron at the closest focus distance about 19 in (47.8 cm). Taken at ISO 1600, handheld, at f/4.0 and 1/125 sec. In additional to the color version, I did a B&W one. I'm happy with B&W conversions from the M10, but so far have found that I prefer the look I get with Silver Efex 2, which is what I've used here. Focusing with the EVF in the near focusing range becomes much easier than through the "goggles" and, together with the higher ISOs that you can use, makes the DR Summicron more practical for moderate-distance macro shots.
Interesting. Then no clearance problems with using the DR at the close focus range? Great!

Now only if my damn M10 that I ordered Jan 19th would show up so I can use my 50 DR with it. Leica really sucks at distribution. Badly.

Old 04-16-2017   #38
raid
Dad Photographer

I would love to use my DR with a digital M.

Old 04-16-2017   #39
Gregm61

It's going to take me about a year to be in a position to buy an M10, which is probably about right looking at the waiting lists and availability.

Old 04-16-2017   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

If I sell my M8 and M9, I may get the first $4000 towards an M10.