Leica elmarit 28 dots/ bubble issue
Old 04-07-2017   #1
selee

Leica elmarit 28 dots/ bubble issue

Hi, can anyone tell me what those little dots/ bubbles are in the lens and what caused this? I just purchased this lens and am debating on keeping it.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0983.jpg (41.3 KB, 72 views)

Old 04-07-2017   #2
edwliang

Quote:
Originally Posted by selee View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me what those little dots/ bubbles are in the lens and what caused this? I just purchased this lens and am debating on keeping it.

Thanks all!
hi, i also find one little pinhole dot in the back element of my summaron 35 2.8. i have seen other copy has 3 dots. I dont know if they are caused by service or are factory made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (20.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (21.6 KB, 38 views)

Old 04-19-2017   #3
edwliang

anyone knows what that is? :-)

Old 04-19-2017   #4
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwliang View Post
anyone knows what that is? :-)
It's a very mild case of "Schneideritis". Google returns, for example, http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Schneideritis.html

Roland.

Old 04-19-2017   #5
x-ray

This is very common in many brands of lenses and has no effect unless it's very extreme and only under some lighting conditions.

I spoke to Schneider / Century Optical about this several years ago. They said it's due to the paint used to black the edges of the lens elements flaking off or bubbling up. The said under extreme cases and certain lighting it could reduce contrast very slightly but rarely has any effect. They also said they don't consider it a flaw or manufacturing issue and do not cover it under warranty.

I have several view camera lenses from Schneider and Fuji that show varying degrees of schneideritis but have no effect on the image. I've seen examples of it from almost every lens maker.

Don't worry!

Old 04-20-2017   #6
David Hughes

Hi,

Bubbles are bubbles, glass starts as a liquid and is moulded into blanks etc and sometimes you get tiny bubbles and it's best to ignore them. Getting rid of the bubbles takes a very, long time when the glass is molten and so costs money. It's been mentioned in catalogues going back to the (optical) stone age.

Regards, David

Old 04-20-2017   #7
edwliang

thank you all. the little bright dot looks like a hole in coating to me. :-)

Old 04-20-2017   #8
edwliang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
It's a very mild case of "Schneideritis". Google returns, for example, http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Schneideritis.html

Roland.
hi. i think you are regarding to Selee's question. I think mine has another type of problem. maybe it is a dot missing from coating.

Old 04-20-2017   #9
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwliang View Post
thank you all. the little bright dot looks like a hole in coating to me. :-)
Take a magnifier and examine it closely. Could be coating but I'd guess a fleck of dust or possibly the start of fungus. Examine it with loupe and see if it has little branches. If so it's fungus if not probably dust. Lenses often have junk floating around inside. Somehow over time it works itself in or was there from day one. Fungus I'd get it cleaned before the glass is damaged.

You rarely see large bubbles in lenses after the 40's or 50's. In the day bubbles were considered the mark of better lenses. I had a series III Dagor 12" that had a good size bubble which was made in the early 30's or late 20's. Fantastic lens! The glass actually started to oxidize creating a natural coating. I used it for years to shoot Philips Electronics TV catalogs.

I also had a triple convertible B&L Protar VIIA ~12" that had a whopping huge bubbl in the front cell. It was made around 1900 but it performed beautifully.

Bubbles, dust and schneideritis are of no concern but fungus is.

Old 04-21-2017   #10
edwliang

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Take a magnifier and examine it closely. Could be coating but I'd guess a fleck of dust or possibly the start of fungus. Examine it with loupe and see if it has little branches. If so it's fungus if not probably dust. Lenses often have junk floating around inside. Somehow over time it works itself in or was there from day one. Fungus I'd get it cleaned before the glass is damaged.

You rarely see large bubbles in lenses after the 40's or 50's. In the day bubbles were considered the mark of better lenses. I had a series III Dagor 12" that had a good size bubble which was made in the early 30's or late 20's. Fantastic lens! The glass actually started to oxidize creating a natural coating. I used it for years to shoot Philips Electronics TV catalogs.

I also had a triple convertible B&L Protar VIIA ~12" that had a whopping huge bubbl in the front cell. It was made around 1900 but it performed beautifully.

Thank you very much. it is definitely not fungus like. it is completely round shape and shinny like reflection. it is like a missing part in the coating. I may try to take another pic some day if i can.
cheers

Old 04-21-2017   #11
edwliang

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post

Thank you very much. it is definitely not fungus like. it is completely round shape and shinny like reflection. it is like a missing part in the coating. I may try to take another pic some day if i can.
cheers

Old 04-24-2017   #12
David Hughes

Hi,

It could be a tiny spot of oil on the surface, that would shine brightly.

Regards, David