Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha / NEX Mirrorless > Sony NEX APS-C format

Sony NEX APS-C format For the many Sony fixed lens digital compact cameras

NEX 5n - Flash options
Old 03-09-2012   #1
Themckane

NEX 5n - Flash options

All
so I was shooting at a friends house last night and I was using a 50mm 1.4 Zuiko lens..

I wanted it wide open for the pics I was taking and also so i didn't need a flash,, I had to set the ISO at 16,800 or 25,600 depending on the lighting

so the problem was that besides being grainy some of the shots also had a yellow tint (the walls were light yellow) which I can fix.

So besides the flash that comes with the camera are there any other flashes that are compatible?

Thanks

Tim

Old 03-09-2012   #2
jpfisher

There's this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HVLF20S-F.../dp/B005D6C14Y

I've also seen a setup where a guy taped an optical trigger to the included flash and used that to wirelessly fire off-camera strobes.

Downside to the NEX-5N is that you'll need to skip the EVF if you want to use the flash. Too bad that Sony didn't put a PC Sync socket on the EVF--that would have been something.

Old 03-09-2012   #3
NeeZee

this seems to be the only other one compatible: http://www.adorama.com/SOHVLF20S.htm...rce=cj_3662453

not very strong either and quite expensive.

I would advise getting a third party one that can be used as a slave on a bracket in combination with the one you've got. The Metz 34 CS-2 is a nice compact example and you can get it for less than 30€ (at least on German ebay). No bounce with this one though...

Old 03-09-2012   #4
photo_fred
photo_fred

I use my Nikon SB-700 set to SU-4 mode.Dial down the flash output on the nex and set my Nikon to 1/4 power.

Old 03-09-2012   #5
Themckane

Hi Fred. Would like to see a picture of your setup

Thx

Old 03-10-2012   #6
photo_fred
photo_fred

Don't really know what you need to see in a photo?It's a standard nikon flash set to su-4 mode. I put the flash on a bracket,mount it to a lightstand and use an umbrella if I want.You can also mount the flash to a stroboframe bracket with your camera attached also.As long as you have your little sony attached and dialed down your good to go.There's a little experimentation to get the light just right but thats no more than a few test photos.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2012   #7
photo_fred
photo_fred

I meant your little sony flash.

Old 03-10-2012   #8
Nokton48

I own the big Sony Flash, and have done an in-store comparison against the standard Sony Flash, that came with my Nex3. The Big Flash was easily 2X-3X more powerful, so quite useful for me. It does pull more power from the battery, but not bad at all. The quality of light is outstanding. No redeye, nice built-in diffuser and bounce.

Worth having IMO.