Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canonet QL17 GIII Repair question
Old 01-05-2013   #1
Themckane

Canonet QL17 GIII Repair question

I want to start using my Canonet QL17 GIII

The plastic eyepiece and plastic battery tester cover is missing
If I buy a parts camera is it a big job to sway those parts?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2013   #2
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Bump. Good question.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-06-2013   #3
lewis44

The top cover is quite easy to remove, so it should be a simple job. I had mine off, but did not pay any attention to what you wanted to do.
Here is a link to do it:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonet...7622576154083/

Probably other ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themckane View Post
I want to start using my Canonet QL17 GIII

The plastic eyepiece and plastic battery tester cover is missing
If I buy a parts camera is it a big job to sway those parts?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2013   #4
Themckane

So.. can the plastic pieces be replaced without taking off the top?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis44 View Post
The top cover is quite easy to remove, so it should be a simple job. I had mine off, but did not pay any attention to what you wanted to do.
Here is a link to do it:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonet...7622576154083/

Probably other ones as well.

Old 01-06-2013   #5
Mackinaw
Think Different

No, you'll have to remove the top plate to access the rear eyepiece.

Easy as pie to remove the top plate. Remove three screws, unscrew the rewind knob, remove the film advance lever (just unscrew the chrome surround) and that's it. Literally a three minute job.

You can download a G-III repair manual here:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 01-06-2013   #6
Themckane

That's great. I will watch eBay for a parts camera

Goodwill auction site....
Old 01-06-2013   #7
kuzano

Goodwill auction site....

There are usually from 3-5 GIII's a week on the Goodwill Auction site. It is

www.shopgoodwill.com.

Interestingly, almost every GIII I've purchased there has been a working example after a bit of cleanup and exercise. The way to exercise the GIII shutter is to sit for hours in front of the TV watching "bad" programs and cocking and shooting the camera on manual mode until the shutter starts working.

Rapid actions seems to warm the blades and they start opening. Just keep going.

I have also been known to use the Ronsonol Flush method to loosen up the gummy blades. (I know many find distaste with this method, and Ronsonol is NOT a lubricant, but the purpose is to get the camera functioning... They are just throwaway cameras anyway. You'll run a few rolls through it and bury it in yet another closet. Great shooters though, just no mystique or soul.)

Anyway... clean up and a set of light seals (very DIY) from Jon Goodman, and your in business. I wouldn't POP the TOP until you see what you get for a few bucks. Canon built these in the millions as I recall. The survivor rate is higher than most and more than some people posting here think. I have turned every one purchased at shopgoodwill into revenue... working and with good meters.

However, remember there are very few camera literate people working at Goodwill stores, so every one is a "pig in a poke".

Old 01-07-2013   #8
jwc57

Goodwill online is my "secret" place. I have recently realized it has now become an open secret. The prices for used gear has been steadily rising as more people get in on the act.

Deals can still be found though. I recently bought a Olympus 35RC for 35.00USD including shipping and an Olympus OM2n for 26.00USD plus shipping. The OM2n supposedly was for parts as the shutter was locked up, it had fungus around the door opening, and the film advance was inoperative. Turned out the self-timer was engaged, the fungus was light seal foam, and the batteries were dead.

There is currently a Olympus Pen going for 116.00USD. I was hoping no one would notice it. I'd love to have one for my collection, but I'm limited in what I can spend.

Old 01-07-2013   #9
farlymac
PF McFarland

Yeah, the secret is definitely out on ShopGoodwill.com. Couple years ago it was a goldmine for good, little known gems of the photography world, and at decent prices. But nowdays, the collectors and fashionistas have taken over, and you just can't get a deal anymore. There was a "Nixon SB-16" (Nikon F Photomic with SB-16 Flash unit) up for bid, and it sat for a few days until someone put a large bid on it. Today, soneone else ran the price up looking for the top, and then finally found it. Will be interesting to see what it finalizes at.

My biggest complaints about the site though are the long wait to get anything shipped out of the warehouse, mostly UPS shipping (with handling charges tacked on, you can pay $17.00 shipping for a little item you won for $5.00), and the workers who constantly bungle the shipping. Not to mention the stuff you get that should have been put in the dumpster, or recycle.

PF

Old 01-08-2013   #10
jwc57

The long waits are dependent on which Goodwill outlet it is. Fingerlakes is slow and on "grab-bags" don't always send what is in the photo they provide. Fingerlakes also put a high "buy-it-now" reserve on most of their camera gear, more than it goes for at Keh or B&H....but offer no warranty.

I've also seen the bidding go quite high for something that comes "AS-IS". If I'm spending "retail" it should also have some guarantee it works.