Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

TLR and small flash
Old 10-07-2010   #1
Thomas78

TLR and small flash

Hello

For using a TLR als a everyday carry around camera I would like to have the opportunity to use it together with a small flash indoors.

Unfortunatly most of the TLR are not equipped with a accessory shoe / hotshoe. Do you have some experiences how to overcome this?

I have seen a acessory shoe adapter for the bajonett of the viewing lens of a Rolleiflex on a japanese homepage some time ago, but it seems that it is no longer active, at least I did not get any reply from them.

Now I am thinking about making a adaptor out of an old filter frame and an acessory shoe to hotshoe adapter myself.

Thomas

Old 10-07-2010   #2
kerne

You could always try one of these simple cold shoe brackets. And get an extra hand-hold to boot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoe_Mount.html

Old 10-07-2010   #3
Alpacaman
keen bean

L-brackets like the one above work well for this. What kind of TLR is it you are using?

Old 10-07-2010   #4
jbielikowski
call me Jan

there is a problem with bracket mounted on Rolleiflex, focusing knob is one the same side as bracket. it will make focusing inconvenient.

Old 10-07-2010   #5
thomob

mamiya c tlrs. they have the flash shoe on the side and u can also get an L-Grip which allows you to have a flash further out atop the grip (away from your shutter and focus)

Old 10-07-2010   #6
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
there is a problem with bracket mounted on Rolleiflex, focusing knob is one the same side as bracket. it will make focusing inconvenient.
No kidding, I have thought about building my own with a grip made of silicone molded inside saran wrap and on the right. But the nice thing about the OPs question is that you can use a small flash (low GN) with a Rolleiflex.

Outdoor flash you can set slow speed film to ambient light and then match the fstop (the shutter speed is synced all the way to 1/500), so you can either get fill or added highlight flash.

I have a small Vivitar 2800d (there is the same flash without a movable head called the 2600) for my Rollei.

Last edited by charjohncarter : 10-07-2010 at 17:04.

Old 10-07-2010   #7
Sjixxxy

Here is my TLR Flash rigging. Not the smallest of flashes, but the way it connects make the whole thing rather ergonomic. Plenty of room to operate the focus knob as well with this particular flash. I imagine a low profile flash like the Metz 32's could work just as well in the side cold shoe.

Vivitar 281on a Yashica Mat 124g
by K. Praslowicz (Sjixxxy), on Flickr

Old 10-07-2010   #8
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Use this:

... sorry, just kidding, use this instead:

That's a cheap radio wireless flash trigger, brand name: Cactus v2, they have a newer one now. v4. Nice thing with this setup is that you can put the flash anywhere around the subject without messing with cables.

Old 10-07-2010   #9
thomob

here is my setup when im using my own kit.

also setup wireless on Cactus V4 remotes. cable release, paramender, strobe in brollybox with my new 180 super

Old 10-07-2010   #10
bwidjaja
Warung Photo

Will, thanks for pointing out the Cactus v4, i think it is a great price.

Old 10-07-2010   #11
Brian Legge

I went with the Cybersync triggers. Not much more than the Cactus and I've heard good things about them. I've only used the set with the Rollei but it worked pretty well.

Old 10-08-2010   #12
Thomas78

Thanks for all your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpacaman View Post
L-brackets like the one above work well for this. What kind of TLR is it you are using?
I use a Rolleiflex 3,5F, a Rolleiflex 4x4, a Lipca Rollop Automatic and also a Mamiya C330 (TLRs are my favourite type of camera )

The C330 offers a cold shoe and also the ability to focus it on the right side, so also a l-brackes would be possible, but I use it with a big Metz flasch (45CT-1)

But the other, smaller and lighter TLR, which I want to use mit a small flash have no cold shoe and the focus on the left might make the l-bracket a bit unconfortable to use.

Old 07-06-2011   #13
Themckane

can an electronic flash be set up for a Rolleicod V?

thanks

Old 07-06-2011   #14
PMCC
Late adopter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
use this instead:

That's a cheap radio wireless flash trigger, brand name: Cactus v2, they have a newer one now. v4. Nice thing with this setup is that you can put the flash anywhere around the subject without messing with cables.
Great idea, cool.

Old 07-06-2011   #15
Vics

I take my cue from the best flash photog ever, the great Francis Wolff, co-founder of Blue Note Records and the man who shot most of the great album covers for that great label. Wolff used a Rollei loaded with Tri-X and a hand-held strobe "Statue of Liberty style" (per Rudy Van Gelder, the engineer on the sessions). When I availed myselt of the Strobist 101 course on line, I used just that rig with a Vivitar 285 and it worked like a charm! Try it! You'll be surprised how ergonomic it gets once you've practiced with it.

My Flickr

Old 07-06-2011   #16
Mablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themckane View Post
can an electronic flash be set up for a Rolleicod V?

thanks
Sure you can. You just need a flash sync cord. I've used a simple plastic flash bracket for positioning the flash on the left side of the camera. Remember to set the flash mode switch to "X" on the 'Cord.

Old 07-06-2011   #17
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

On my Mamiya C330f I use a small sort-of tripod ball head. Slides into the cold shoe and can be set to any angle and direction.

It is only stamped 'Präzision, made in Germany'. With it goes a Metz 34-CS2 digital and remote flashes are triggered by those small selenium cell flash triggers. I use bigger flashes for the remotes and it works like a charm, while being cheap too.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 07-07-2011   #18
bukaj

Where do you find such a short pc cable? I'd like to place my wireless trigger in the coldshoe but shortest cable I can find is a foot. I can always shorten it myself but would rather buy one that's about 6"

-jakub