Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-30-2018   #241
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Hi Ronald. Do you mean that using any wide angle lens wider than 35mm will be problematic? I thought that "very wide angle" lenses had such issues, but lenses that were not too wide would be OK.

How does the D3 differ from the D700?
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2018   #242
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Hi Ronald. Do you mean that using any wide angle lens wider than 35mm will be problematic? I thought that "very wide angle" lenses had such issues, but lenses that were not too wide would be OK.

How does the D3 differ from the D700?
Raid I do not think you will find problems generally with wider lenses which are retrofocus in design (i.e. designed for SLRs). You are right in saying that this potential problem arises with very wide lenses. But it is only a potential issue and it is related in practice to lenses that have a rear element very close to the sensor which present light rays at an oblique angle to the sensor. However this tends not to happen with lenses designed for SLRs because of the need for clearance of the camera's mirror - they have to be further away from the sensor and hence the light rays are less oblique. When digital SLRs first came on the market circa 2000 NIkon Canon etc made a fuss about the need to upgrade lenses for digital using this as the reason but mostly that was just marketing hype. As I have found out many times given I use all kinds of earlier lenses successfully on these bodies.

I think you said you have a 2.1 cm f4 (?) Nikkor. As you know this requires mirror lock up and a separate accessory viewfinder because of the above issue. I would expect that if used on the D700 with its mirror locked up then you would see artifacts caused by the angle of its light rays to the sensor as this lens which dates to 1960 or thereabouts was of course never intended for digital cameras. On the other hand I regularly use a Nikkor AF 16mm - 35mm f4 which is designed for digital and works perfectly.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...e-angle-lenses
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2018   #243
Range-rover
Registered User
 
Range-rover is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Hi Ronald. Do you mean that using any wide angle lens wider than 35mm will be problematic? I thought that "very wide angle" lenses had such issues, but lenses that were not too wide would be OK.

How does the D3 differ from the D700?
I had a D3 it's a lot bigger and faster more pro built, but I like the picture quality better in the D700.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #244
Contarama
Registered User
 
Contarama is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,263
Professor Nikon shot itself in the foot with the 700 because basically what they did was use the same engine from the top shelf D3 model and installed it into the 700 block. At a cheaper mark and maybe better ergonomics the 700 cannabilized D3 sales. They did something similar with the D4 and Df. Stupid if you ask me...why not just make the camera everyone wants to begin with? Alas I'm simple-minded like that.
__________________
Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #245
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Professor Nikon shot itself in the foot with the 700 because basically what they did was use the same engine from the top shelf D3 model and installed it into the 700 block. At a cheaper mark and maybe better ergonomics the 700 cannabilized D3 sales. They did something similar with the D4 and Df. Stupid if you ask me...why not just make the camera everyone wants to begin with? Alas I'm simple-minded like that.
It was my good luck to finally buy a DSLR and then my choice being the D700.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #246
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
I had a D3 it's a lot bigger and faster more pro built, but I like the picture quality better in the D700.
I am happy so far with my D700. It works like a charm.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #247
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Raid I do not think you will find problems generally with wider lenses which are retrofocus in design (i.e. designed for SLRs). You are right in saying that this potential problem arises with very wide lenses. But it is only a potential issue and it is related in practice to lenses that have a rear element very close to the sensor which present light rays at an oblique angle to the sensor. However this tends not to happen with lenses designed for SLRs because of the need for clearance of the camera's mirror - they have to be further away from the sensor and hence the light rays are less oblique. When digital SLRs first came on the market circa 2000 NIkon Canon etc made a fuss about the need to upgrade lenses for digital using this as the reason but mostly that was just marketing hype. As I have found out many times given I use all kinds of earlier lenses successfully on these bodies.

I think you said you have a 2.1 cm f4 (?) Nikkor. As you know this requires mirror lock up and a separate accessory viewfinder because of the above issue. I would expect that if used on the D700 with its mirror locked up then you would see artifacts caused by the angle of its light rays to the sensor as this lens which dates to 1960 or thereabouts was of course never intended for digital cameras. On the other hand I regularly use a Nikkor AF 16mm - 35mm f4 which is designed for digital and works perfectly.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...e-angle-lenses
Hi Peter. I tried using the 16mm Hologon on my M9, and it is a rough ride there. I can get B&W images out that work well for some situations, but colors are off.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #248
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Hi Peter. I tried using the 16mm Hologon on my M9, and it is a rough ride there. I can get B&W images out that work well for some situations, but colors are off.
Yes that does not surprise me Raid. The 16mm has a very deep rear element. The first version 15mm f4.5 Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar has the same issue I am given to understand. They redesigned it for digital sensors and now the new version is apparently OK.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2019   #249
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
I used today my Tamron 35-80 SP with the D700 for some birds photography.

__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2019   #250
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2019   #251
Archiver
Registered User
 
Archiver is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,471
Raid, have you been fully converted to the evil SLR cult, or do you still shoot with other cameras?
__________________
~Loving Every Image Captured Always~
Archiver on flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019   #252
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
I used the Nikon DSLR for a week or so, and I switched back to RF cameras.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019   #253
NickTrop
Registered User
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
NickTrop is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,068
Great camera -- a DSLR classic. Enjoy. And enjoy going down the Nikkor rabbit hole. I know I sure did.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019   #254
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nieuw Amsterdam
Posts: 420
My first FF DSLR.
I had a split circle focusing screen put in and the numerous Nikkor MF lenses I had at the time (8-180mm) were a joy to use, though my favorite was the Voigtländer 2,5/125. That was an extraordinary hunk of glass. Sold most of the kit and kaboodle for Leica RF kit. Kept the Leitaxed R lenses, though. and recently undid them for an R9 I unexpectedly stumbled upon...and the 16/3.5 Fisheye + the NOCT Nikkor for my FM2-T.

My one and only issue with the D700 was its limited cropping with the 12MP image.

I do recommend the Zeiss ZF (not ZF.2) lenses. The 21 and 35 can be bought for a song. These were by far superior to Nikkor AF & MF lenses.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019   #255
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,645
Mine is dead and gone unfortunately but I still do have my D4 which I will keep ... A because I like the way Nikon DSLRs work in spite of the fairly complicated menu system and B because the sensor in the D4 is even better than the one in the D700. And although the D4 is a beast it actually has better ergonomics than the D700.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2019   #256
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
I paid $400 for my D700, and I am using my old Nikkor lens on it. It is a powerful camera indeed.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2019   #257
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
I took this photo last week with the D700 and the Nikkor 50/1.4.

__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020   #258
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I paid $400 for my D700, and I am using my old Nikkor lens on it. It is a powerful camera indeed.

I love mine for much the same reason. But I have a question for you, Raid. How do you like the D700's in-finder yellow dot focus confirmation? I know some do not much like it but I find it to be accurate and eminently usable. Better in many situations, in my view, than focus peaking. It is simple and it works. And better still, no need to install a focus confirmation chip in old lenses for it to work.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020   #259
ZivcoPhoto
Registered User
 
ZivcoPhoto's Avatar
 
ZivcoPhoto is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 318
My D700 (NIKON USA) model has green confirmation dot. It is reported that as you are focusing on your POF from near to far - just when it begins to light up is when focus is most accurate (rather than focusing from a distance to near and stopping at you POF). My D700 with 10k actuations I’m giving to a family member who is studying photography in high school, I bought a D3S in nice shape to play with. The D700 I believe is one of the Nikon “milestone” cameras......with mine it is 3200 ISO all day and no issues - easily prints to 13x 20.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #260
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 276
Nice D700 images.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #261
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,556
As to the lenses. They MUST be either AI or AIS (or AI converted from non AI) lenses. Do not mount a non AI lens on the D700 as it has a mechanical aperture follower which can jam and be damaged by a non AI lens if one is mounted. Other than this pretty well any Nikon AU or AIS lens work brilliantly with this near pro camera. BTW it is easy for anyone with basic skills to make the AI conversion of a non AI lens. The instructions are readily found on the internet.

Quote above from Peterm1 page one.

Very important
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #262
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I love mine for much the same reason. But I have a question for you, Raid. How do you like the D700's in-finder yellow dot focus confirmation? I know some do not much like it but I find it to be accurate and eminently usable. Better in many situations, in my view, than focus peaking. It is simple and it works. And better still, no need to install a focus confirmation chip in old lenses for it to work.
Hi Peter. I find the yellow dot in focus confirmation to be accurate and very useful.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #263
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
As to the lenses. They MUST be either AI or AIS (or AI converted from non AI) lenses. Do not mount a non AI lens on the D700 as it has a mechanical aperture follower which can jam and be damaged by a non AI lens if one is mounted. Other than this pretty well any Nikon AU or AIS lens work brilliantly with this near pro camera. BTW it is easy for anyone with basic skills to make the AI conversion of a non AI lens. The instructions are readily found on the internet.

Quote above from Peterm1 page one.

Very important
My Nikkor 50/1.4 was AI'd, and it works well on the camera.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #264
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
My Nikkor 50/1.4 was AI'd, and it works well on the camera.
I have three versions of this lens and like them all - two of them I had to AI convert. The most recent one I bought is the AIS one which I picked up cheaply ($35) at a camera fair as it had a sticky aperture. Fortunately the AIS is ultra easy to strip down - both the front and rear element groups come out en bloc leaving the aperture assembly in the barrel. That can then be flushed with solvent. Which I did. It may require more cleaning from time to time but given it's so easy that task is not much of a chore (I do not plan on disassembling and regreasing the helicals at this time - that IS a chore). It is a very nice lens to use - smaller than the earlier versions with better coatings.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #265
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
My Nikkor lenses are limited and they non AI. Still. some are available these days as AI at low cost. A 24mm lens would be perfect for me to get next.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #266
Dogman
Registered User
 
Dogman is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,567
My love of photography started with a Nikon F in the early 70's but I started switching to a series of other brands over 20 years ago. Then a few months back I got reacquainted with the brand after buying a used D800. That has led to an expensive and enjoyable journey with several different camera models and lenses. My most recent camera being a D700 that was advertised as "like new". And it was! It looked like it had never been used and the shutter actuations were less than 300. I've really enjoy using that camera. It's heavy but it's solid and feels comfortable in hand. While 12mp may seem small by today's standards, I've been very impressed with how the photos look when printed. The images from the D700 stand up well even in comparison to 24mp and 36mp files.

Although my vision is limited and I mainly depend on AF lenses, I have recently picked up a few older manual focus Nikkors. The focus confirmation dot is really helpful to me with these lenses. One of the MF Nikkors I bought is an older 50mm ƒ/1.4 with the silver barrel that had been AI'd in the past. The thing looks like the front element has been sandblasted, thus it sold for a pittance. Yet I like the soft gray tones it produces for B&W and the muted pastels when shooting in color. I also found a very nice and very cheap 200mm ƒ/4 lens that is surprisingly sharp and well preserved for a 50+ year old lens.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020   #267
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
My Nikkor lenses are limited and they non AI. Still. some are available these days as AI at low cost. A 24mm lens would be perfect for me to get next.
Raid I think from memory the 24mm f2.8 is rated highly. I think it was one of the first to have Nikon's vaunted CRC (close range correction) from quite early versions (CRC being introduced in 1967 - the time this lens was first released). I prefer the MF versions to the AF versions of this lens. Mine is one of the earlier versions with the scalloped focus ring and has been AI converted by the factory.

The other wide angle lens I really like is the 35mm f2.0. In particular there is something special, in my view, about the rendering of the earlier versions of this lens. I own this lens (AI converted) and the AF one and while the AF one is fine (I keep it for times when I want a light AF 35mm instead of a larger zoom) the early MF one is special in my view. The other MF ones may be as good as the earlier MF ones though - I have not had the chance to check properly. But I note that the MIR site suggests that the 35mm f2 O.C. version dating between 1973 and 1975 may have had thorium glass. I believe this is the one I have and it may account for the rendering I like so much.

Overall though, my own experience leads me to agree with the following:

"......And this reference to clinical versus characterful images brings us to the Nikkor’s greatest selling point. This lens, first designed and produced in the 1960s, provides us with a way of capturing shots today that’s impossible to replicate with a new lens. The images it makes, while gorgeous and precise, aren’t perfect. There’s a uniqueness to the depth of field, the color rendition, the contrast and resolution, that sets it apart from a modern Nikkor (or any modern lens for that matter). Even when shot on today’s mirror-less cameras, the lens allows us to make images that are unpredictable, with a bit more character and feeling."

https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...i-lens-review/


Another wide angle you might consider is the 28mm f2 which I think tops most versions of the 28mm f2.8 (at least until the AIS one came out as that lens had a redesigned optical layout which is acknowledged as having improved them quite a lot.)

The bottom line it seems to me is that almost any Nikon lens of the era is good and their best are superb.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #268
Dogman
Registered User
 
Dogman is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,567
I agree with Peter concerning the 24/2.8--it's a wonderful lens. I had one of the early ones with the metal focus ring that I actually wore out over several years of use. I then got the newer model with the rubberized focus ring. Both were excellent. In fact I think I still have that second MF 24mm somewhere packed away. You might also consider the 24mm AF-D if autofocus appeals to you. I bought one of those recently and I love it. It has that early lens look. The image is sharp in the center, gets softer toward the edges and there's a beautiful vignette at the wider openings. This is a look I very much like and a look newer lenses don't have, although a bit of post processing can help in this area.

EDIT: Although I've been on a bit of a binge of lens buying lately, I've begun to believe I could live with a 24mm and a 50mm (or their equivalents) as my only lenses and be pretty happy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #269
ZivcoPhoto
Registered User
 
ZivcoPhoto's Avatar
 
ZivcoPhoto is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 318
Any of the AIS or earlier NIKON wide angles with close focus (CRC - floating elements) are pretty terrific. +1 for the 28mm F2 - the OOF gives it the edge to me over 28mm F2.8 AIS. The 35mm F1.4 AIS is a very good lens for D700 - with the CRC it focuses amazingly close. I used the 24mm F2.8 non AI for years with film but I got the 24mm F1.4 G “super-lens” last year and on D700 I have seen nothing better in that focal length.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #270
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Raid I think from memory the 24mm f2.8 is rated highly. I think it was one of the first to have Nikon's vaunted CRC (close range correction) from quite early versions (CRC being introduced in 1967 - the time this lens was first released). I prefer the MF versions to the AF versions of this lens. Mine is one of the earlier versions with the scalloped focus ring and has been AI converted by the factory.

The other wide angle lens I really like is the 35mm f2.0. In particular there is something special, in my view, about the rendering of the earlier versions of this lens. I own this lens (AI converted) and the AF one and while the AF one is fine (I keep it for times when I want a light AF 35mm instead of a larger zoom) the early MF one is special in my view. The other MF ones may be as good as the earlier MF ones though - I have not had the chance to check properly. But I note that the MIR site suggests that the 35mm f2 O.C. version dating between 1973 and 1975 may have had thorium glass. I believe this is the one I have and it may account for the rendering I like so much.

Overall though, my own experience leads me to agree with the following:

"......And this reference to clinical versus characterful images brings us to the Nikkor’s greatest selling point. This lens, first designed and produced in the 1960s, provides us with a way of capturing shots today that’s impossible to replicate with a new lens. The images it makes, while gorgeous and precise, aren’t perfect. There’s a uniqueness to the depth of field, the color rendition, the contrast and resolution, that sets it apart from a modern Nikkor (or any modern lens for that matter). Even when shot on today’s mirror-less cameras, the lens allows us to make images that are unpredictable, with a bit more character and feeling."

https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...i-lens-review/


Another wide angle you might consider is the 28mm f2 which I think tops most versions of the 28mm f2.8 (at least until the AIS one came out as that lens had a redesigned optical layout which is acknowledged as having improved them quite a lot.)

The bottom line it seems to me is that almost any Nikon lens of the era is good and their best are superb.
Peter, I view the D700 as a very reliable camera, and I can see myself traveling with this camera and using one or two lenses only. I need to first dig out whatever Nikkor lenses I own, and then choose one lens for AI modification by someone who does such conversions/ Yes, the 24mm 2.8 may be a reasonable option as my second D700 lens along side my 50 1.4


I may have a 35mm lens in Nikon mount, but I better look for it first. The 35/2 would also be good to have.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #271
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 79
Posts: 6,263
Since I have a lot of MF lenses, I use the focus dot on my D700 quite a bit. I use AF lenses as well. Whether MF or AF, I like it when the lens has a CPU so I can have the EXIF info displayed in Aperture. MF lenses with a CPU let me use the same lens on my film Nikons and on the D700. These include the CV 20mm f/3.5 P lens; Zeiss 25mm f/2 ZF.2 Distagon; 35mm F/2 ZF.2 Distagon; and the little 45mm f/2.8 Nikkor P lens. And I use the 28mm and 35mm PC Nikkors; the 135mm and 180mm MF Nikkors; and I have a Leitz 180mm APO-Telyt converted to Nikon mount. So with this rather large array of MF lenses, the little green focus dot allows me a greater range of lenses for the D700, and is a good anti-obsolescence feature as well.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #272
Alpsman
Registered User
 
Alpsman is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 240
I still use my reliable D700 for theater fotography with mostly a 50mm Ai on it. The green focusing dot is very helpful in dim light. For finetunig of the distance I just move forward or backward and the focus is spot on. Besides, I dont have any autofokus lenses so I only use Ai or Ai/S lenses on the camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #273
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,395
This reborn thread made me today recharge the battery for my D700. It will be ready for use again.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

I am the new owner of a Nikon D700 DSLR
Old 01-19-2020   #274
maigo
Registered User
 
maigo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 367
I am the new owner of a Nikon D700 DSLR

There is a used D700 at my local camera shop. 71000 shutter count. $600CAD ($450USD).
This thread and the DSLR scanning thread are making me think seriously about buying it.
Is 71K a high count or just mid-life?
__________________
---------------------------------
My Flickr Photostream
My Flickr Albums
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #275
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
There is a used D700 at my local camera shop.... Is 71K a high count or just mid-life?
...
Mid-life, apparently. Interesting stats here:

https://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d700.htm
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020   #276
Alpsman
Registered User
 
Alpsman is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
There is a used D700 at my local camera shop. 71000 shutter count. $600CAD ($450USD).
This thread and the DSLR scanning thread are making me think seriously about buying it.
Is 71K a high count or just mid-life?
My D700 is 11 years in my hands and I bought it new, shutter count is 39.017, it have some dents, a sunburn in the mirror housing and still takes pix and pix and pix. The rubber coating is still OK and the accu lifespan is "new".

My D800 is a second hand buy from a professional, have a shutter count of 156.788 and still takes pix & pix & pix. And the rubber coating is also still OK. The accu lifespan is "new"
. . . .
My S2 is from 1958 and still works ;-)

The decision is yours.

Greetings from the snowy valley!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 00:37.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.