Adjusting Faded Chromes in Camera-Scan
Old 01-19-2020   #1
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Adjusting Faded Chromes in Camera-Scan

Kodak Color Science created Digital ROC to restore color in faded chromes/negs. How to achieve same result manually?

Cam-scanning some VERY faded chromes, superslides, "Kodak Safety Film 05381." Tried WB, Temp & Tint. Then HSL Targeted Adjustment Tool to shift hue in skin. Mixed results.

Suggestions? Best technique to fix old faded chromes?

Here's one attempt:

In Classifieds Now: Bessa R2S, Contax IIa and Nikon lenses
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-19-2020   #2
charjohncarter

I've tried basically a similar process that you did. But as far as scientific process goes: it isn't. It is closer to art.

1937 slide, Kodak Kodachrome:

1937 by John Carter, on Flickr

Similar correction:

1937-k44 by John Carter, on Flickr

I have had some success with ColorPerfect.

Old 01-19-2020   #3
Dwig

Fading usually involves two problems:

1. Each channel fades in different amounts
  2. Each channel fades differing amount is its highlight compared to its shadows.

A third factor is that in severe cases, one color may have faded so severely that there is a large loss of detail in that color while other colors have faded far less.

#1, above, can be dealt with adequately with global adjustments, but #2 requires using an adjustment method that not only allows for adjusting each color separately but also adjusting the shadow, midtone, and highlight components of each color independently. I've found that Photoshop's Curves adjustments are the best for this, sometimes in combination with its HSL adjustments to manage saturation on a color by color basis as well.

The the third factor raises its ugly head, nothing can be done to get anything in the way of an accurate correction. It is sometimes possible to get an acceptable result and sometimes conversion to B&W is a better choice. I have some chromes (E-2 process Ektachrome or possibly other brand) that are so faded in some colors that they are almost monochrome, hence B&W conversion is the most pleasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (26.4 KB, 12 views)

Old 01-19-2020   #4
charjohncarter

Dwig, thank for that explanation. I just tried it on one and it isn't easy but at least you can see what you are doing. I'm sure with a little practice I'll get the 'hang' of it. The one you did it's great.