Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Mamiya 7 65mm lens hood unnecessarily big ?
Old 10-18-2018   #1
Niko

Mamiya 7 65mm lens hood unnecessarily big ?

Just thought i share my finding here if someone else is annoyed about rangefinder blockage.
I got the 65mm lens for my M7II yesterday. While checking it, i soon noticed that the hood starts to block the rangefinder when focusing closer than 2m. At 1m it already blocks about half of it.
With ground-glass i checked if the hood of the 80mm would work on 65mm too. And yes indeed, it does, no vignetting, no blocking of the rangefinder. I wonder why they made the hood so big... They could just have used the same hood for 65/80 like they did with the 43/50. In my opinion it also looks better with the smaller hood

Old 01-20-2019   #2
ka7197

That's interesting. Thanks for posting!

I also found out something today. The N 65 mm L can get away with E55 filters on a 58-to-55-mm step-down ring (of course, even more so can the N 80 mm L). No hint of vignetting detectable in the negatives. So I don't need to buy any E58 filters for my new-old 65 mm lens but can keep using my vast array of E55 filters instead.

Old 01-20-2019   #3
Brian Legge

I think the Mamiya 6 50mm hood is the same as the Mamiya 7 65mm. Perhaps the 50mm needed to be wider and they reused those for the 7?

Old 01-20-2019   #4
Steve M.

You could always get one of those 3rd party slotted hoods for under $10. Those work great.