Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

Impact of aperture on distortion. I don't get it!
Old 09-16-2013   #1
sanmich

Impact of aperture on distortion. I don't get it!

It is often stated that "lens X shows some distortion at full aperture, but it is gone by f/*"

I don't understand the mechanism here.

let's say I set a camera/lens @ full bore in front of my favorite brick wall, and the wall edge shows barrel distortion.

Now, I stop it down. this cuts the most periferal rays composing a dot on my film/sensor. Understandibely, it will correct some abherations and increase sharpness.

But in order to corect distortion, it should in fact change the actual place where the dot is formed, which seems impossible, given that nothing happens to the central rays (half of the rays at each stop)

So what don't I understand here??

OR

is this distortion vs aperture thing only an urban myth?

Thanks!

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #2
jonmanjiro

change in focus point... sure.
change in vignetting... sure.
change in distortion... i don't remember hearing or reading that before.
got a link?

Old 09-16-2013   #3
sanmich

Lot's of places. e.g. from Huff's review of the 50 Nokton:

"The distortion is only noticeable when up close and shooting wide open or close to it. "

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #4
Roger Hicks

Hmmmm... Conceivably the type of subject matter "up close and shooting wide open or close to it" may make the distortion more obvious? Or severe departures from symmetry (effectively changing the optical layout)? Both sound unlikely.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-16-2013   #5
sanmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Hmmmm... Conceivably the type of subject matter "up close and shooting wide open or close to it" may make the distortion more obvious? Or severe departures from symmetry (effectively changing the optical layout)? Both sound unlikely.

Cheers,

R.
Only by intuition, I see "up close" affecting distortion perfectly possible.
what I don't understand is the aperture having a say here...

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #6
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post

is this distortion vs aperture thing only an urban myth?
I suspect the culprits misunderstand spherical aberration as distortion - whose visible effect is aperture dependent.

Old 09-16-2013   #7
jonmanjiro

Ah ok, I don't normally read Huff's reviews, but he does indeed write that. I know that a lens can exhibit differing amounts of distortion at different focus distances (e.g. the Nikkor Ai-S 35/1.4's barrel distortion get progressively worse the closer you focus) and I can see how distortion could look more obvious at wider apertures, but like you I don't see how stopping down would make any difference

Old 09-16-2013   #8
sanmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
...and I can see how distortion could look more obvious at wider apertures, but like you I don't see how stopping down would make any difference
aren't the two things the same?

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #9
sanmich

".I've noticed some distortion at the edge of the field in my copy....seems to go away after stopping down."

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00bjqW

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #10
jonmanjiro

Quote:
aren't the two things the same?
not really.

the key word there was *look*. let me try to explain what i mean. hopefully Steve doesn't mind me using one of his photos as an example. the post on the left showing the barrel distortion stands out because its surrounded by a blurred background, drawing the eye to it. what i'm suggesting is that the barrel distortion would not *look* so obvious if the background was also sharp (lens stopped down for more DOF and more sharp details for the eye to see). the barrel distortion would be unchanged though.

Old 09-16-2013   #11
sanmich

Quote:
not really.

the key word there was *look*. let me try to explain what i mean. i hope Steve doesn't mind me using one of his photos as an example. the post on the left showing the barrel distortion stands out because its surrounded by a blurred background, drawing the eye to it. what i'm suggesting is that the barrel distortion would not *look* so obvious if the background was also sharp (lens stopped down for more DOF and more sharp details for the eye to see). the barrel distortion would be unchanged though.

Got it, thanks Jon.

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #12
goamules

Also, some writers use the very different terms, distortion and aberration, interchangeably. And, there are several types of distortion such as barrel/pincushion, astigmatism, etc.

Old 09-16-2013   #13
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
Also, some writers use the very different terms, distortion and aberration, interchangeably. And, there are several types of distortion such as barrel/pincushion, astigmatism, etc.
This is the key.

Make a list of distortions, artifacts and aberrations, and then people can weigh in on those that depend on aperture.

Vignetting is an artifact and it often decreases as aperture decreases.

Longitudinal chromatic aberration is an artifact and it also decreases (or a least is less obvious) as aperture decreases. Several modern Nikon G prime lenses have large and distracting (to my eye) longitudinal CA that becomes less annoying as aperture decreases. Lateral CA also changes with aperture but it can increase or decrease with aperture. Lateral CA could be less obvious with shallow DOFs depending on where the in-focus objects are in the frame.

Optical distortions such as keystoning/converging verticals are independent of aperture unless the offending objects are significantly unfocused. Likewise volume anamorphic distortion does not depend on aperture. Often it is inconvenient or even impossible to eliminate these distortions. Although tilt-shift lenses can often overcome keystoning/converging verticals.

There is no such thing as perspective distortion because perspective (the relative size of two objects at different distances from the camera) depends only on camera location. We all know ill-chosen camera locations can produce aesthetically unpleasant photographs due to perspective. But this is not the lens' fault. It's the photographers fault.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-16-2013   #14
sanmich

OK then, when a lens distorts, it does independently of the aperture...
Good to know!

My site

Old 09-16-2013   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Good to know!
True where spherical lenses are concerned, as regardless of the aperture the angles between glass and light remain the same. With aspheric lenses geometric distortion could at least in theory be aperture dependent - in practice high end lenses seem to avoid these issues, and there is no aperture control (nor much quality) on low end cameras that use aspherics in more vulnerable ways.

Old 09-16-2013   #16
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

If the aperture had no influence on distortion, then the placement of the aperture would be of no importance in the lens design. Obviously that is not the case.

With a single element lens this is very easily demonstrated. Moving the aperture to the front or rear of the lens will change the distortion from either pincushion to barrel. Early on it was noticed that distortion could be basically cancelled out by putting the aperture between two elements.

Edit: So far as I know - changing the size of the aperture should not change the distortion, but changing its placement certainly has an effect.

Old 09-16-2013   #17
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Sorry, we should have been talking about aperture size - photo terminology is notoriously sloppy there. Placement is a different matter. FWIW the same goes for size vs. placement of elements.

Old 09-16-2013   #18
sanmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
True where spherical lenses are concerned, as regardless of the aperture the angles between glass and light remain the same. With aspheric lenses geometric distortion could at least in theory be aperture dependent - in practice high end lenses seem to avoid these issues, and there is no aperture control (nor much quality) on low end cameras that use aspherics in more vulnerable ways.
Yet, I don't see how removing (half) the light rays forming a spot by stopping down the lens could change the spot location on the film/sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
If the aperture had no influence on distortion, then the placement of the aperture would be of no importance in the lens design. Obviously that is not the case.

With a single element lens this is very easily demonstrated. Moving the aperture to the front or rear of the lens will change the distortion from either pincushion to barrel. Early on it was noticed that distortion could be basically cancelled out by putting the aperture between two elements.
I can easily accept that moving the aperture location inside the lens will impact distortion, but once it's placed, changing it's opening shouldn't change that (see my previous comment).

My site

Old 09-17-2013   #19
furcafe

Along similar lines (no pun intended), I would guess changing aperture would affect the extent to which field flatness, or lack thereof, is visible (not sure whether field flatness is technically related to distortion).

Quote:
. . . I can see how distortion could look more obvious at wider apertures, but like you I don't see how stopping down would make any difference
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Distortion
Old 09-17-2013   #20
Photoniac

Distortion

Sanmich:

Change of Aperture has no influence on distortion.

Lenses are usually optimised for infinity - close up, the distortion pattern
can change dramaticly - especially with assymetric lenses.

See attachment.

Regards, Ronald.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distortion.jpg (42.9 KB, 16 views)

Old 09-17-2013   #21
willie_901

Quote:
Good to know!
This is meaningless without telling us what you think distortion happens to be.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-17-2013   #22
ndnik

Aperture can have an effect on barrel or pincushion distortion in lenses. Only points on the optical axis see the full aperture (the pupil). Points away from the axis see only parts of the pupil, mostly in an asymmetric way. This is what leads to vignetting. The beam coming entirely from one side of the pupil at the image corners also moves inwards or outwards with aperture. This is what causes the distortion to change.

The effect is most pronounced in wide aperture lenses that have strong vignetting and focus shift.

If you look at the beam of a wide aperture lens at full aperture vs. the beam at small aperture (can't seem to find a proper link right now), you'll see what I mean more clearly.

Disclaimer: I work with astronomical instruments for a living, same principles apply even though we don't put apertures on out telescopes ...

EDIT: After coffee, I realize this works perfectly well without focus shift at all, it is simply the fact that different parts of the pupil form their image at diffrent distances from the image center (distortion). At large apertures, vignetting takes care of eliminating most of the pupil, leaving a half-decent image, at small apertures it is the aperture ring that cuts out most of the pupil leaving only the center, forming again a single decent image with different distortion.

- N.

Old 09-17-2013   #23
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnik View Post
Aperture can have an effect on barrel or pincushion distortion in lenses. Only points on the optical axis see the full aperture (the pupil). Points away from the axis see only parts of the pupil, mostly in an asymmetric way. This is what leads to vignetting. The beam coming entirely from one side of the pupil at the image corners also moves inwards or outwards with aperture. This is what causes the distortion to change.
Sure? If I don't misunderstand you, that would be coma and CA, but not geometrical distortion.

Old 09-17-2013   #24
ndnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Sure? If I don't misunderstand you, that would be coma and CA, but not geometrical distortion.
No, it would be gemetrical distortion, not coma, CA, and higher-order aberrations. The relevant issue is that different parts of the pupil form their image at different locations in the focal plane. Aperture and distance from the optical axis control which part of the pupil you see.

A nice page with a sketch that may make things more clear is http://toothwalker.org/optics/distortion.html.

-N.

Old 09-17-2013   #25
ottluuk
the indecisive eternity

Quote:
No, it would be gemetrical distortion, not coma, CA, and higher-order aberrations. The relevant issue is that different parts of the pupil form their image at different locations in the focal plane. Aperture and distance from the optical axis control which part of the pupil you see.

A nice page with a sketch that may make things more clear is http://toothwalker.org/optics/distortion.html.

-N.
Yet, copied from your link above:
"The size of the stop has no effect on the distortion, as the chief ray does not alter its route when the aperture is made smaller or larger. To be sure, Fig. 2 cannot be understood in the context of a paraxial theory. In the absence of the stop, the lens in Fig. 2 suffers from spherical aberration, coma, and astigmatism, which result in a blurred image patch for each point in object space."

I suppose strong curvature of field could create an effect that could be mistaken for distortion and is apparent at close range and large apertures but hard to notice otherwise.

------------------------------
GRD III | 40D | M4 | 3,5C

Tumblr.

Old 09-17-2013   #26
ndnik

I think he's right under the assumption that the chief ray does not move as the stop changes size.

- N.

Old 09-17-2013   #27
ndnik

It is still true that vignetting at large apertures makes your lens have barrel distrortion and as you close the aperture you move towards the orthoscopic case. I think.

-N.

Old 09-17-2013   #28
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Quote:

-N.
Thanks for this link. Excellent article. And, there are other technical optics articles on his site.

In Classifieds Now: Bessa R2S, Contax IIa and Nikon lenses
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 12-10-2013   #29
ka7197

Quote:
It is often stated that "lens X shows some distortion at full aperture, but it is gone by f/*".
It's nonsense. Geometrical distortion (barrel-shaped, pincushion-shaped, wave-form) isn't affected by aperture.