Diopter questions...
Old 07-16-2011   #1
Asim

Diopter questions...

So I'm planning on getting an M6 classic with a 0.72 finder. I intend to use the 35 f/2 and 75mm f/2 lenses.

I wear glasses with a prescription of -2.0. Is it true that the viewfinder is already set at -0.5... which means I should only order a -1.5 diopter?

also, is it easier to see the 35mm frame lines...

1. WITHOUT a diopter WITH glasses on
OR
2. WITH a diopter and WITHOUT glasses on?

Old 07-16-2011   #2
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm

Yes, and # 2

#1 and #2 are relative, however. You shouldn't have any problems seeing the 35mm lines with glasses.

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra

Old 07-16-2011   #3
skibeerr

You should test a few diopters in different strengths. Get high quality ones or suffer the loss of crispness in your viewfinder.

Old 07-16-2011   #4
rogerzilla

Are such things still available for the M2 and M3? When I get new corneas (long story) I am 90% certain to need glasses for the first time in my life, and the 35mm frame on the M2 is rather close to the edge.

My gallery

Old 07-16-2011   #5
ka7197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim View Post
I wear glasses with a prescription of -2.0 dpt. Is it true that the viewfinder is already set at -0.5 dpt ...?
That's right. It means a normal-sighted person will see the framelines and rangerfinder patch at a virtual distance of 2 m.

Quote:
... which means I should only order a -1.5 diopter?
Depends ...

Is your -2.0 dpt prescription accurate? Is it recent or from several years ago? Is it meant to make you see properly at infinity distance or at medium distances?

If your -2.0 dpt glasses make you see perfectly at infinity then a -2.0 dpt correction lens will make the rangefinder patch appear at 2 m—which is a convenient viewing distance for most people ... with the possible exception of the elderly. For younger persons, there is no significant difference in accommodation between infinity and 2 m; those who can see sharp at infinity also can see sharp at 2 m easily. However for persons with presbyopia, this is not always the case.

If your -2.0 dpt glasses make you see perfectly at infinity then a -1.5 dpt correction lens will make the rangefinder patch appear at virtual infinity—which may or may not be preferable to you over a virtual distance of 2 m. To find out, I'm afraid you'll have to try both -2.0 dpt and -1.5 dpt correction lenses in person on your camera and see for yourself which suits you better. Or maybe both will suit you equally well ...

If your -2.0 dpt glasses make you see perfectly at medium distance (such as 2 m) then a -2.5 dpt correction lens will make the rangefinder patch appear at a medium distance again; a -2.0 dpt lens will make it appear at virtual infinity; a -1.5 dpt lens at beyond infinity.

Quote:
Is it easier to see the 35 mm frame lines ...

1. WITHOUT a diopter WITH glasses on
or
2. WITH a diopter and WITHOUT glasses on?
Glasses will make you lose a significant portion of the viewfinder's field-of-view. A correction lens screwed into the eyepiece won't. So the answer is, "2". Still, most likely you will be able to see the 35 mm framelines in a 0.72× finder even with your glasses on ... albeit not quite as easily as without glasses/with correction lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzilla View Post
Are such things still available for the M2 and M3?
Sure. All Leica M cameras share the same eyepiece so you can use the same correction lenses and magnifiers for all of them. However I don't know if the older models also have their viewfinders set to -0.5 dpt (= virtual distance 2 m). They might use a different value, such as -1.0 dpt for example, which would translate to a virtual distance of 1 m.

Old 07-16-2011   #6
rogerzilla

Fabulous. Thanks.

My gallery

Old 07-16-2011   #7
john_s

If it's possible, I strongly recommend trying -1.5 as well as -2.0. As I get older, although my distance optical prescription has not changed (-1.75), I find that the diopter value is more critical. I have recently gone from -2.0 to -1.5 for my M6. For Mamiya, I've gone from -2 to -1 as they don't supply half values. I find that a bit weaker is better than slightly too strong.

Old 07-16-2011   #8
akiralx

My modern Leica diopter screws into my M3 perfectly well.

Alex

Old 07-16-2011   #9
Asim

thanks for your replies.
from what i understand, maybe i shouldn't be going after a .72 viewfinder at all. perhaps i'd be better served with a .85 viewfinder with a diopter attached. (i'll be using a 75mm and 35mm lens)

so what is a better option for me considering I don't need to wear my glasses with a diopter attached?

1. M6 with .72 viewfinder with diopter attached using 35mm and 75mm lenses.
OR
2. M6 with .85 viewfinder with diopter attached using 35mm and 75mm lenses.

Old 07-16-2011   #10
john_s

I use a 0.85 M6 with a -1.5 Leica diopter and I can't quite see the four sides of the 35mm frame at the same time. But I don't have to move much to see them. I think I ignore the fact that I can't see them all when taking photos with the 35mm lens, and just use the whole viewfinder as my "framelines". The framelines on rangefinders aren't all that precise in any event.

Old 07-17-2011   #11
akiralx

I wouldn't recommend the 0.85 for 35mm.

Alex

Old 07-17-2011   #12
alistair.o

If it is possible to, I would try a Leica retail outlet and sample some. I have diopters and they are not what the optician suggested based on my prescription.