Do you shoot RAW or jpg with your M9?
Old 07-02-2011   #1
Vickko

I'm thinking of switching over to jpg for "happy snaps" - the 35 meg files don't really appeal to me, in terms of disk space usage.

...Vick

Old 07-02-2011   #2
PaulW128

Vick;

I'm very interested to read the responses to your question. I do not shoot with an M9 but i'm facing the same thing with my D7000.

I never realized that the M9 could produce 35meg files!!! And I was complaining about 15meg ones!!

Best
Paul

Old 07-02-2011   #3
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW128 View Post
Vick;

I'm very interested to read the responses to your question. I do not shoot with an M9 but i'm facing the same thing with my D7000.

I never realized that the M9 could produce 35meg files!!! And I was complaining about 15meg ones!!

Best
Paul
oh yeah. M9 has two bit rate settings. One is ok at about 15MB a photo. The other is obscene. I have a 5D mk2 also and the RAW's are about 25MB a piece it's getting out of control.

I shoot RAW when working. For sports I shoot JPG with the 5D. There are just so many photos and they're all the same, there's no point in shooting RAW for the extra control. Also when I'm just out and about I bring the M9 and I shoot JPG. It's also a lot easier to deal with as I have an Eye-Fi card and just send the pics to my phone to share them.

JPG's are quick and easy but you can't do too much editing with them. And the only thing I strongly dislike about JPG's is that they are noticeably softer than RAW images. Which sucks but most of the time it's still decent.

Last edited by swoop : 07-02-2011 at 05:43.

Old 07-02-2011   #4
gdmcclintock

I always shoot only RAW with the M9 and RAW with small JPGs when shooting with the Canon 5D MkII.

Old 07-02-2011   #5
Brian Sweeney

Lightroom 3 makes batch conversion of Raw into JPEG so easy, been shooting RAW on the M9 and M8 since getting it.

Old 07-02-2011   #6
luuca

I have shoot 5.000 photos since I have the M9 and I still haven't tried the jpeg

Old 07-02-2011   #7
Renzsu

raw + 1 mp b/w jpg. I wish it was possible to shoot the dng's with the same b/w conversion settings applied to them somehow For now I'll have to replicate them myself.

Old 07-02-2011   #8
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I shoot only raw with M9 and M8. I treat them as negatives and back them up between 5 separate drives (one is a 4TB RAID-5).
I used to shoot raw + jpg but found that I really wanted the control of the raw file in post so now I save a tiny bit more space. The write times are also a bit better with raw over raw + jpg.
I haven't shot too much with the dng set to uncompressed but now that I have that 4TB array, I think I may try it. I just don't know if I'll see that much more quality in the image. Guess I'll have to start printing really big...

Phil Forrest

Old 07-02-2011   #9
seakayaker1

. . . . . DNG files . . . . . have converted raw files into other formats with Aperture and Adobe.

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 07-02-2011   #10
250swb
-

It never even crossed my mind to shoot JPEG with my M9. Why would anybody do that?

The world is moving on and software and computers are developing fast. The M9 has a small brain to process its JPEG files, while Photoshop has the vast brain of your PC to process DNG files. It seems obvious to shoot uncompressed DNG's, who knows what tomorrows software can do with a larger unadulterated file compared to a neutered compressed file. Its happened with software sharpening and noise reduction to the extent that you can now gain far more from a five year old RAW file than you could then. You may not see a vast difference between compressed DNG or a good JPEG today, but if you shoot uncompressed DNG you may well see a difference tomorrow.

And storage continues to get bigger and cheaper so there can hardly be an excuse that disk space is at a premium, just buy external hard drives and do proper backups, leapfrogging your drives so you always have a duplicate copy on another drive.

Steve

Old 07-02-2011   #11
Olsen

The camera computer of M9 is a drag. I shoot DNG all the time. Whish I could shoot raw and jpg at the same time. As I do with my 1Ds III. But the M9's capacity to handle large files is not there. The camera locks up and all kinds of strange things happen.

But storing the files is not a problem. I handle all my files with a PC with a 250mb capacity. It is too small, but I have two aux. 1,5TB hard disks onto which I keep two seperate files of all keeper-files. Then that problem is solved.

Old 07-02-2011   #12
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Only RAW! I find it much better than the JPEG files of the M9, and the adjustments available with RAW are indispensable.

Old 07-02-2011   #13
jamato8
Corroding tank M9 35 ASPH

RAW. I am not going to spend 7 thousand for a camera and a like amount for lenses and then shoot jpeg and loose some of the data I am trying for in the first place. I shoot RAW with my other cameras as well. As noted above, it is easy to convert but I go to TIFF and then jpeg and keep the TIFF as I do publishing. I also keep the DATA on two separate hard drives. What to do when the hard drives don't work so fine. Digital is great but it has some major drawbacks with regards to long term storage. I still have chromes from the late 1960's that are fine.

M2 (got as NOS in 1974), M9, Biogon 25mm 2.8, 35 ASPH and 50 Summicron, 50 DR, 90 Elmarit (1st model), 90 Elmarit-M, 90 Summicron Pre ASPH, Elmar 135, Thumbs-Up (great finally my camera feels solid in my hand). Leica user since 1969 (IIIC 50 Summitar, still have)

Old 07-02-2011   #14
fates

Yeah, RAW all the way. If the shot is a keeper (and a lot of them are), I want full control over the image and max print capabilities. Even just for fun stuff I shoot is at full rez. A 2 or 3 TB drive is cheap these days. What does that hold 50,000+ images at full rez? Get two for back up. Not having the post processing leeway of raw data is crazy in my mind for any pro camera.

Old 07-02-2011   #15
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Raw, Raw, Raw.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith痴 Gallery

Old 07-03-2011   #16
Ben Z

I shoot at the smaller, compressed DNG setting. The files are about the same size as the M8 DNG files. I've spoken to about a dozen professionals so far who shoot the M9 regularly and none said they have ever been able to detect any degradation comparing the compressed and uncompressed DNG.

Old 07-03-2011   #17
barnwulf

I always shoot RAW (DNG & jpg) with my M8.2. I did the same with my D300 and D700 Nikons. There is just so much more on the file that allows a lot of adjustments. I convert DNGs to Tiffs in Lightroom. I only shoot black and white with my M8.2. It does a nice job. Jim

Old 07-03-2011   #18
sevres_babylone

I shoot raw+jpegs. I do shoot compressed DNG in that combination. A friend, who is a professional photographer, recommended uncompressed, and says he does see better tonal gradation in the highlights. Since a lot of my shooting is of bands in dimly lit environments where I often let the highlights blow out anyway, I haven't switched back.

Old 07-03-2011   #19
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen View Post
The camera computer of M9 is a drag. I shoot DNG all the time. Whish I could shoot raw and jpg at the same time. As I do with my 1Ds III. But the M9's capacity to handle large files is not there. The camera locks up and all kinds of strange things happen.

But storing the files is not a problem. I handle all my files with a PC with a 250mb capacity. It is too small, but I have two aux. 1,5TB hard disks onto which I keep two seperate files of all keeper-files. Then that problem is solved.
Umm..try setting the camera to "DNG+JPG fine"

jaapvphotography

Old 07-04-2011   #20
menos

Compressed DNG only - acceptable (but not great, compared to the slim 10MB files of the M8).

Old 07-04-2011   #21
ka7197

While there might be a few good reasons to shoot JPEG only (as opposed to Raw or Raw+JPEG), just saving disk space isn't one of them. So don't do that!

If you're concerned with the huge size of the Leica M9's 35 MB DNG files then switch to compressed DNG which will cut the file sizes in half. Furthermore, shove the DNG files through Adobe DNG Converter—you may think that's silly but actually it does make sense because it will convert the files from DNG 1.0 format to DNG 1.3 format which includes lossless compression which will reduce the DNG file sizes even further. A doubly compressed DNG file will be only slightly larger (if at all) than a file in JPEG Fine format but will preserve much more depth and latitude for subsequent post processing than JPEG.

Old 07-04-2011   #22
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7197 View Post
While there might be a few good reasons to shoot JPEG only (as opposed to Raw or Raw+JPEG), just saving disk space isn't one of them. So don't do that!

If you're concerned with the huge size of the Leica M9's 35 MB DNG files then switch to compressed DNG which will cut the file sizes in half. Furthermore, shove the DNG files through Adobe DNG Converter遥ou may think that's silly but actually it does make sense because it will convert the files from DNG 1.0 format to DNG 1.3 format which includes lossless compression which will reduce the DNG file sizes even further. A doubly compressed DNG file will be only slightly larger (if at all) than a file in JPEG Fine format but will preserve much more depth and latitude for subsequent post processing than JPEG.
Thanks for the tip, I have to try this out (uncompressed M9 DNG through Lightroom DNG conversion vs compressed DNG vs compressed DNG through Lightroom DNG conversion).

Disk space and computer performance is a concern, but image quality comes first, which is why JPG is no option.

Old 07-04-2011   #23
Archiver

I always shoot in compressed DNG format. I once forgot to set my M9 back to DNG after it had been in for service, and I was shocked at how much less malleable the jpegs are compared with the raw files. Huge amounts of shadow and highlight information were lost, and the colours were all over the shop. It confirmed why I only shoot in DNG.

Old 07-06-2011   #24
abumac

Is there any jpeg on the M9 ;-)

rw

http://blog.reiner-wandler.de

Old 07-06-2011   #25
Ronald M

You paid multi thousands for the best digital RF and you worry over Disk space.

Buy a few external hard drives and keep the photos there. I have three La Cie drives, one terabite ea ,and they are $100.

Clogging up your computer drive with file storage is not good practice in any case.

Old 07-07-2011   #26
downstairs
downstairs

Menus make me screw up.
So always raw on M9, always b&w jpg on M8.2.

Old 07-07-2011   #27
furcafe

Always raw. With a reasonably up-to-date computer & storage, I see no real reason to use JPG unless I were doing some type of sports photography, etc., where I needed to shoot a huge # of exposures @ high fps, & that's not what anyone in their right mind would be using an M9 for.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 07-07-2011   #28
Vickko

Hmmm, hear you, loud and clear.

Vick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
You paid multi thousands for the best digital RF and you worry over Disk space.

Buy a few external hard drives and keep the photos there. I have three La Cie drives, one terabite ea ,and they are $100.

Clogging up your computer drive with file storage is not good practice in any case.

Old 07-07-2011   #29
arnulf

Always shoot RAW, compressed is totally fine. I like to shoot jpeg also. They look pretty good on the M9, I think. But imagine how annoying it must be if you've underexposed an otherwise great picture and have to throw it away because you can't get back the detail in the jpeg. Ouch!....
summilux 50mm
Fuji x100
http://www.arnulfjohansen.net
My Smugmug

Old 07-11-2011   #30
ramosa
B&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Raw, Raw, Raw.
+3 ...

Old 07-12-2011   #31
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I'm not convinced compressed DNG is a good idea. Storage space and SD cards are cheap nowadays. Although one has to push a file really hard in postprocessing to see an advantage for uncompressed it is certainly there. - less posterization, better color transitions. But the real argument is the future. Who can tell what Adobe will come up with in a few years? And what amount of information will be needed to exploit the new features?

jaapvphotography

Old 07-12-2011   #32
arnulf

Hmm, ok Jaap, I find your argument intriguing.. I'll shoot uncompressed for a while and see how it is. Although one thing that concerns me a bit is whether such a large file size will slow down the post processing even more. Even when uncompressed I think it takes quite a bit of time some times.
summilux 50mm
Fuji x100
http://www.arnulfjohansen.net
My Smugmug

Old 07-12-2011   #33
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I have no problem. But then I use a MacPro quad with 16 Gb RAM...

I found out about the "pushability" of uncompressed files when comparing my M8 files to my DMR. I tested the M9 compressed against uncompressed, but I admit you really have to torture the file to see the difference.

jaapvphotography

Last edited by jaapv : 07-12-2011 at 05:46.

Old 07-12-2011   #34
Roger Hicks

DNG. Switching to JPEG for 'happy snaps' simply means that I forget to switch back to DNG for 'real' pics. Better 'happy snaps' with too much quality than 'real' pics with too little.

The only time I switch to JPEG (and immediately switch back again) is for slowly-shot sets of pics for stitched panoramas. Otherwise, file sizes for the whol panoram really do get big enough to slow down even quite powerful computers.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-12-2011   #35
Bike Tourist

[quote=Roger Hicks;1663717]DNG. Switching to JPEG for 'happy snaps' simply means that I forget to switch back to DNG for 'real' pics. Better 'happy snaps' with too much quality than 'real' pics with too little./QUOTE]

I disagree, Roger. I don't have an M9 and never will (failing some sort of lottery win) but have shot both raw and jpg with many cameras over many years. I have always balanced my spending on photography with some commercial applications to pay for my otherwise unaffordable passion.

It wasn't always so, but the imaging chips and the jpeg engines are so good these days that, for most people, jpeg should be fine for any application they are likely to need, including reasonably large prints. The stock agencies are notably very picky when it comes to artifacts, yet I routinely have third generation jpegs processed with CS5 accepted.

Maybe I don't value my work to the extent some people do. Out of my 70,000 transparencies, negatives and digital files, I wouldn't be too upset at the loss of any one of them, with a few rare exceptions.

So, let those who will shoot raw, make multiple DVDs to insure that their images endure through any major conflagration and rest easy knowing that their unique work will be preserved for posterity.

I'll just mess around shooting jpegs.

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist