Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

Pondering the GXR...
Old 06-04-2011   #1
LKeithR
Improving daily--I think.

Pondering the GXR...

There has been a lot of discussion on RFF about the Fuji X100 but little interest in the Ricoh GXR. With the upcoming release of the M-mount module one would think that the Ricoh would be getting a lot more attention than it is. I know I'm very interested but how about the rest of you. Anyone here considering the GXR?

I also found this set of images taken with the A12 28 and 50mm modules...

http://www.markleyimages.com/Portfol...4_rmxp5m4-A-LB

I think this camera with Leica glass could be a very potent little package...
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - Mark Twain

Old 06-04-2011   #2
jamesk8752

I bought one on a whim and love it! I've bought all 4 lensors and am eagerly awaiting the M mount module so I can use some of my Leica glass on it.

The IQ of the 2 A12 lensors is outstanding; they are the ones I use the most. I find that my 28mm and 50mm external optical finders are great for fast outdoor use.

Regards, Jim

I collect photo gear and shoot with Pentax, Fuji, Leica, and Sony cameras.

Old 06-04-2011   #3
kzphoto

I have the 28mm A12 and I enjoy using it, but the AF kinda sucks. It's contrast AF so it has to hunt for the sweet spot. If you've used a GR1/s/v the focus on those cameras is much more rapid.

I am awaiting the M-mount module to see how the camera performs with my M lenses.

Old 06-05-2011   #4
LKeithR

From the lack of responses there's clearly not the same interest in this camera as the GXR. Considering that there is an M-mount module coming are there reasons why you're not interested?

I'm looking quite seriously myself since it appears this could be a low-cost option for using M glass and I like the fact that it's only a 1.5 crop factor compared to m4/3...
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - Mark Twain

Old 06-05-2011   #5
jarski

there starts to be several options for using M-lenses with 1.5 crop sensor.

Old 06-05-2011   #6
FrozenInTime

Lots of interest in the GXR-M here.

The big unknown is : how are they going to implement focusing ?
An AP interview said the shutter will cap the sensor making live view impossible.

The prototypes don't yet show a RF cam that could drive a distance scale or electrically coupled optical rangefinder.

I'm a great fan of the GRDI/II/III so I trust Ricoh to provide a great UI - so it's worth the wait.
Just wish they would give us a few more clues as to the viewfinder on the GXR-M.

Old 06-05-2011   #7
LKeithR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post

An AP interview said the shutter will cap the sensor making live view impossible.
I had thought about that as well. I'm trusting that Ricoh will have something worked out.

Quote:
I'm a great fan of the GRDI/II/III so I trust Ricoh to provide a great UI - so it's worth the wait.
Just wish they would give us a few more clues as to the viewfinder on the GXR-M.
Me too. One thing that has given me pause is the fact that Ricoh is not sold in Canada which means I'd have to buy online and sight unseen; something I don't like doing. Might have to make a road trip to the States...

Old 06-14-2011   #8
dallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post

The prototypes don't yet show a RF cam that could drive a distance scale or electrically coupled optical rangefinder.

Fortunately, with this system they could implement anything in the M unit since the body is nothing more than an lcd with some buttons attached (I know I over simplify). I'm looking at my GXR right now and I think it'd be cool if they somehow incorporated an optical viewfinder and reflex mirror into the thing. Then it would be like one of those old M contraptions I forget the name of (leicaflex?)

Old 06-15-2011   #9
gekopaca
French photographer

No VF = No interest

Nice camera
Old 06-15-2011   #10
dovi

Nice camera

I have it and I am not too excited about the M module. So what?
more gear. I find that although FrankenCameras are an interesting side hobby, I have yet to see a Franken camera that is better or as easy to use as the stock setups.

If it inserts more steps into the process, I think its a hindrance. I would rather step up in format to medium or large to get a distinct difference in quality/process, for the money involved than to need to worry about ergonomics,dust,ease of use,crop factor, and metering. All just to use Leica glass?

The GXR is great on it's own. Very compact and silent.

I'll stop here.

Old 06-15-2011   #11
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I'm very interested in the GXR. Hmmm...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 06-17-2011   #12
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I just ordered the body and both A12 units to try out. I'm tired of cameras with confusing interfaces and will give this a shot. I also got the viewfinder. I seriously considered the x100--Amazon had two of them in stock on warehouse deals with morning, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on something with so many bugs and me with coke bottle glasses maybe not being able to see that lovely OVF all that well anyway. I'm still watching it with interest.

With the GXR M unit, couldn't they easily focus by moving the sensor? How far would it have to move (sure it depends on the lens but roughly). The technology exists to move the sensor to adjust for jiggles (and Pentax can actually adjust for level a bit) so how different or difficult would that be? Anyway, I'd be interested in an M-module. The R-D1 sensor is a little behind (and the shutter lever cute but kinda silly) and there's no way I'd ever be able to afford a digital M. Would love to use some of that great old Canon RF glass...I shot some of my favorite images with those lenses!

I think Ricoh is also planning a 24-72mm but with an APS-C sized sensor. I'd really like a fast 35mm equivalent unit and maybe a 75mm or 85mm eq. as well. But I'm jumping the gun, I have to get the camera and see if I like it. But everything I read (and I read everything) pointed to a well thought out, designed and manufactured camera.

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 06-18-2011   #13
squirrel$$$bandit

Definitely post your impressions here. I still have the GXR + 28 in the back of my head.

Old 06-19-2011   #14
dallard

The GXR+28 is a great system. I find the AF fairly fast with that module and if you can master using the snap focus feature you don't have to worry too much about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0011064.jpg (66.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg R0011073.jpg (49.0 KB, 10 views)

Old 06-19-2011   #15
BearCatCow

I got the GXR a week ago and absolutely love it.

The handling is great. It just fits into the hand the way you would like it to. Controls are easily accessible and intuitive. I like being able to change aperture, shutter speed with one hand as well as having it meter an exposure for me even in manual mode with the touch of a button. (The GRD3 does all this too)

Despite having a nice weight It feels very small both in the hand and hanging on the body.

The 50mm lens performs very well. It has beautiful bokeh and very minimal distortion. (basically I don't really see any distortion, I'm sure other online review sites can give you more data on that). One downside is that the auto-focus mechanism is a bit noisy. It's pretty fast though.

Basically it feels nice in the hand, is quick and intuitive to control, and takes good pictures! Auto-focus gets 4/5 stars (for being noisy).

Technology wise it meters really well and the white balance is excellent.

Another nice thing is that it's not very obtrusive. People ignore me while I take pictures with it. People who knows me sometimes don't realize that it's different from the little GRD3. People who don't know me just thinks I'm using one of those slightly bigger digicams like a superzoom or something.

It is very much is like having a heavier GR-digital with a big sensor. (Note that big sensor means small DOF though, for better or worse)

I'll post some pictures later. I really like it. I'm trying to see if I can get fast and comfortable with the manual focus so that I can replace my Epson R-D1 with it. But that R-D1 is so much fun. Especially that silly film advance lever.

Old 06-21-2011   #16
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Just got my GXR kit yesterday. The 50mm lens i got from Amazon Warehouse deals doesn't work...so that's got to go back. But I love the body and 28mm and EVF. Camera is QUIET and indeed shows evidence that somebody who actually shoots photographs picked it up in the design phase. My favorite little discovery: the diorama filter (called "miniature" by Ricoh) allows you to control the width and vertical position of the in-focus area, giving you control of your fake tilt/swing. I loved the diorama art filter on the Oly Pens but this goes a step further. Fun!

My other first impression is just how nice the ergonomics and interface are. I had a GX100 for a spell and liked it except it was just so tiny (including its sensor): the GXR feels like a GX100 (or a GRD) scaled up just enough to be meaty and fluid in use.

If that M module pans out...wow.

More to come!
doug

Old 06-21-2011   #17
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Here's a set from the road today, leg one of a four day journey to Utah. GXR with 28mm lens. http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/s...7627018601660/

No great photographic skill on display there, I was just playing around. There's a learning curve to the camera of course like all others, but I'm loving the 1:1 image format mode (I loved that on my E-p1 too) and I'm starting to get the hang of the controls.

Observation from today: excellent custom WB mode. The easiest I've ever used save for the E-1 and E-5 with their dedicated C-WB buttons. With the GXR, you just select the Custom WB mode from the WB list, point at something mostly white, press the DISP button and it automatically sets the WB. You don't have to preview it and ok it...very quick in use.

Standard JPEGs are not very "poppy" but are nice files. I'll have to try some other JPEG settings.

Old 06-23-2011   #18
FrozenInTime

The M-module for the Ricoh GXR is in the hands of beta testers. Shouldn't be too long on that.
Posted by: Mike Johnston | Thursday, 23 June 2011 at 02:10 PM

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad....html#comments

More Camera Not-Yet-News

Since this is a day of no posts (first, a post about something I can't talk about, then a post about a lost post)
I figured I should post a post about something that's still in the future: I just got confirmation from Japan that Ricoh is sending me a GXR and three lens units.

So that's one more thing I can't write about now, and one more nothing post for today.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad....html#comments

Old 06-23-2011   #19
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

That's cool news.

GXR observation from today:
You can set up a custom JPEG setting with a lot of different options. Not only saturation, sharpness and contrast, but also hue and saturation of each individual color. On the fly, while taking a hike in the Tallgrass Prairie Reserve in the Flint Hills, I created a profile that pushed the greens and blues up...

Pentax has a very comprehensive JPEG profile-writing menu, but the Ricoh one is far easier to use (Pentax uses color charts).

I'm still testing out Ricoh's JPEG presets. I'm not a huge fan of the standard though it does seem to come alive in lightroom. Funny, with my Sony DSLR, I usually just adjusted fill light, contrast, saturation and (rarely) exposure or curves. That procedure doesn't work as well with the Ricoh JPEGs. I'll have to figure out a new workflow (or tweak to the JPEG preset).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/s...7626909465523/

Old 06-23-2011   #20
kzphoto

How is the EVF? I haven't purchased one yet, I'm waiting to see what happens with the M-mount module. Maybe they'll release a new one?

Old 06-23-2011   #21
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

The EVF is best of breed right now Kevin, same basic unit as the E-P2 add-on. 1.xM pixels, very nice for an EVF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzphoto View Post
How is the EVF? I haven't purchased one yet, I'm waiting to see what happens with the M-mount module. Maybe they'll release a new one?

Old 06-24-2011   #22
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I like the EVF, but it's no optical viewfinder. Functional and not too irritating, and the swivel feature is quite useful. Having image review and menu functions available "in eye" is kind of nice (and in strong sunlight, pretty much obligatory). I like shooting off an LCD actually because I spent so much time with TLRs. Get that thing away from my face and out from between me and my subject!