Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Old 10-04-2019   #41
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The design meme for the original Rollei 35 was to hold the camera at waist level when setting exposure and focus. The match-needle meter, shutter/aperture control wheels, and the focus with DoF scale are all set up so you can see them at a glance from the top. When those things are set, you quickly bring the camera to your eye, frame, and make the exposure. Then put it down again. It's an ideal street camera for this reason.
That is my preferred technique for street photography. If all the variables are preset, then just a raising of the camera to frame the exposure is all that is needed to finish the job. If the subject is moving towards me, I'll wait until just before he, she or it gets to a selected spot, where the camera has been focused.

In my opinion, having to diddle with the camera's controls, after the camera has been placed to the eye, loses the spontaneity of the moment.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 10-04-2019   #42
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
That is my preferred technique for street photography. If all the variables are preset, then just a raising of the camera to frame the exposure is all that is needed to finish the job. If the subject is moving towards me, I'll wait until just before he, she or it gets to a selected spot, where the camera has been focused.

In my opinion, having to diddle with the camera's controls, after the camera has been placed to the eye, loses the spontaneity of the moment.
Yep! Except for the framing, a fellow would set it similar to a Rolleiflex TLR, when you think of it. Even the aperture and shutter speed dials are in approximately the same positions!
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 10-04-2019   #43
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
The name change from B35 to 35B took place in January 1976. According to Claus Prochnow, Rollei Report 3, the sales dropped in 1975 and the marketing section used this occasion to change the name (they never liked the "B35" name), hoping to get a closer connection between all Rollei 35 models. There was no technical change. The name change could´t save the 35B.

The B35 was sold for 299,-DM in 1969, the C35 for 249,- and the regular Rollei 35 for 498.-DM.
Just a bit of inflation calculation:

In 1969, exchange rate was $1 ~ 3.7 DM, so:

A B35 would have cost $80. ($559 or 509 Euros today)
A C35 would have cost $67 ($468 or 426 Euros today
A 35 would have cost $135 ($944 or 860 Euros today!)

It seems like quality craftsmanship was never cheap and good basic cameras were a bit more dear, but to get a very nice 35 today for around 200 is a steal!

An equivalent camera today to a Rollei 35 is probably something like a Sony RX100 or maybe a Ricoh GRIII; about the same price as a new Rollei 35 would have been, when adjusted for inflation.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III