Old 10-11-2014   #281
Vince Lupo

I think that 391xxx is a regular chrome IIIc. Looking in my Wehrmacht Leica book by Jim Lager, there are indications that there were chrome IIIc's during that time period (at least through to 391254). 391695-699 were delivered to Berlin on shipment 9975 on 5/12/44, and 391700 went to the US Army on shipment 13243. According to Jim Lager, they were IIIcK's. That one you're interested in doesn't appear to be a 'K', but I'd consider it interesting merely from an historical perspective (at least as far as what was happening to the cameras all around it). Might be a question for Jim Lager.

Other camera looks fine, but I think those 'steppers' (the wartime ones) seem to generate more interest. At least they do to me.

Flickr Albums: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

Check Out Our Latest Work On Our Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 10-11-2014   #282
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjames View Post
So, I have just recently acquired my first K camera, one of those small number of unmarked 1945 cameras supplied to the US Army. (Thanks, LeicaTom for helpful information and to Ray).
Perhaps a photo later but for now I am really interested to learn - and see - more about the exact differences between the different shutter mechanisms used through the years by Leitz. I'm a very visually-minded person that would love to see illustrations as well as explanations about these mechanisms. Anything like that exist - or in the works?
Your welcome James.... I hope your enjoying it as much as I did.

Old 10-24-2014   #283
Fadedsun

Hi guys. I'm new to board, and now a proud owner of my first Leica camera, which is the Leica iiic. I had a couple questions about the range/view finders. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with mine. First of all, my RF came equipped with a yellow filter over it (supposedly to ease judging distances), the VF seems fine, but everything seems very far away. Does the vf show what the lens will actually capture like my Canon A-1 with 50mm does?

Regarding the RF, it seems a little dim, and it's so hard to make out and focus what's in the RF. And is everything supposed to be so zoomed in? I feel like I can't get reasonably close to a subject, because when I look through the RF I can barely see the subject anymore, let alone try and focus it in the RF. Is this normal? And is it normal for the RF to be hard to use in dim lighting? I was trying to use it in my room at night with only my lights on and I could barely make anything out when looking through out, but the VF was fine.

Thanks to anyone that can clear this up! Besides this, the camera is wonderful and I can't wait to use it. Oh, and it came equipped with a 1954 Elmar 50mm f3.5 lens. The aperture adjustment is a bit of a pain, but from what I read on the boards this is a fantastic lens to own, though I think a Summitar might be more up my alley in the future with the more modern aperture adjustment.

Old 12-25-2014   #284
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

#391718 is a (normal IIIC) shipped probably to the US Army PX in Frankfurt ca. early 1946.

Nearly all wartime produced cameras after June 1943 were RLM-Grey paint, unless they were either held back or unsold, there's some 1944 chrome Luftwaffen cameras and part of the #391xxx serial number era cameras were RLM-Grey Luftwaffen issued in 1944.

A remaining group of early serial #3911xx camera's were Kugellager shutter cameras issued to the US Army in July/August 1945 (less than 200) and the rest of the end serial (high numbers after 700+ were issued in 1946).

Leica serial numbers didn't run consecutive to production at all like some people might think, even some #397xxx (originally 1946 numbers) were use for betriebskameras in the mid 1960's).

Welcome to the crazy world of owning a "wartime" style Leica IIIC.

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses for now on real film Leica M6.
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Old 04-25-2015   #285
martinjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
From the official spare parts list and servicing instructions from Leitz in the 1960's it is clear that in EVERY Ic, IIc, IIIc, If, IIf, IIIf, Ig and IIIg with serial numbers higher than 451001 three ball bearings were used, one of 14 balls of 1,5 mm, a double one of 2 x 9 balls of 1,2 mm and one of 12 balls of 1 mm.

Erik.

I've not seen such service info/parts lists but I have no doubt this is correct. So the unmarked 1945 IIIcK (393xxx) that I have might best be thought of as... an interesting transitional item? In essence, the functional equivalent of the slightly later (approximately 1951 and onward) cameras, but in the earlier, "stepper" style top plate?
But I have wondered… if the shutter/transport mechanism is the same why does it feel and sound so different from my 1952-ish IIIf, and similar age If (And other, later-50's III's I have handled)? Are they still different in some way, that would account for this?

James

Old 04-25-2015   #286
Erik van Straten

Quote:
if the shutter/transport mechanism is the same why does it feel and sound so different from my 1952-ish IIIf, and similar age If (And other, later-50's III's I have handled)?

James
The "normal" post war III's (conversions from pre-war cameras) have no ball bearings.
The IIIf's have a flash synch mechanism wich often causes shutter problems, in that case they need servicing. When these cameras are properly serviced they are all VERY smooth.

Erik.

Old 04-25-2015   #287
martinjames

Yes, no doubt about the smooth operation of the IIIf (and related models) when properly serviced. My IIIf was serviced by Don (DAG) and it runs very nicely, indeed. The IIIcK was also serviced and it, too, is exceptionally smooth. Just… different!

James

Old 04-26-2015   #288
Erik van Straten

Quote:
The IIIcK was also serviced and it, too, is exceptionally smooth. Just… different!
It is possible that the ball bearings of the wartime IIIcK are different from those of the post-war period. Also the synch of the IIIf has an effect on the smoothness of the camera.
However, I have a grey wartime IIIc (pre K) that is smoother than my ball bearing post war IIIc. It was serviced by Mr. Scherpenborg in Nijmegen. He states that there is not much difference in smoothness between the wartime IIIcK and the IIIc models. Even a test in the fridge did not bring out much difference between the two.

Erik.

Old 04-27-2015   #289
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Quote:
Even a test in the fridge did not bring out much difference between the two.

Erik.
That's great Erik, in the fridge I Love It!

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses for now on real film Leica M6.
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

Old 04-27-2015   #290
Mr_Flibble

The post-war IIIc shutter design had less ball-bearings than the war-time IIIcK shutter. The IIIf shutter had the full complement of ball-bearings once more.

Fridge-Test...that should be a thing

Old 04-28-2015   #291
oltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
The post-war IIIc shutter design had less ball-bearings than the war-time IIIcK shutter. The IIIf shutter had the full complement of ball-bearings once more.

On the IIIF shutter ball bearings, is this post 622xxx, or before?

Old 04-28-2015   #292
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Not true. All post war ball-bearing cameras had the same amount of balls: 44 to be precise, in three ball-bearings. See these original Leitz documents.

Old 04-28-2015   #293
Erik van Straten

Quote:

Not difficult. Just put your Leica in the fridge for some time to see if it will work in the cold.

Erik.

Old 04-28-2015   #294
oltimer

Thank you Erik for posting the sheets along with the group serial #'s that it applied to. Great info.

Old 04-29-2015   #295
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltimer View Post
Thank you Erik for posting the sheets along with the group serial #'s that it applied to.
The information is also intended for servicing the other cameras mentioned in the columns at right.

Erik.

Old 07-23-2015   #296
Mr_Flibble

Acquired #391866 today (without the Summicron),
It's 37 units away from my unmarked "K" that was delivered to the US Army of the Occupation in august 1945.

I wonder if this one might be an unmarked "K" as well. Anyone with access to the ledgers who can clear this up for me?

Old 07-25-2015   #297
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Quote:
Acquired #391866 today (without the Summicron),
It's 37 units away from my unmarked "K" that was delivered to the US Army of the Occupation in august 1945.

I wonder if this one might be an unmarked "K" as well. Anyone with access to the ledgers who can clear this up for me?
100% SURE if it ha the Z = zeit setting on the shutter speed dial, then it's a IIIC K built from the WW2 restposten, one of those 200/250 so cameras built in July-August 1945.

Congrats, wish I could have picked this one up for a shooter.

Tom

Old 07-25-2015   #298
Greyscale

I can confirm that it does indeed have the Z setting. I will now write on the chalkboard 100 times:

"I should have asked someone about the Z"
"I should have asked someone about the Z"...

I am officially "that" guy. And Rick is "that guy who..."

Live and learn.

My RFF Gallery

Old 07-25-2015   #299
Mr_Flibble

Thanks Tom,

Mike, I definitely owe you one...or several

Old 07-25-2015   #300
Greyscale

Next (first) time I am in the Netherlands, you can buy me several pints of good Dutch beer. :-D

My RFF Gallery

Old 07-29-2015   #301
Mr_Flibble

And here they are together

Old 08-15-2015   #302
martinjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom View Post
100% SURE if it ha the Z = zeit setting on the shutter speed dial, then it's a IIIC K built from the WW2 restposten, one of those 200/250 so cameras built in July-August 1945.

Tom
My unmarked K (#393534) is also one of those Summer 1945 cameras. Mine has the B mark instead of Z. Did these cameras mark Leica's first use of B for bulb, rather than Z for zeit?

Old 08-15-2015   #303
Greyscale

Quote:
And here they are together

A breeding pair. :-D

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-15-2015   #304
jcrutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom View Post

Tom
I have 391949 with a 50mm Elmar. Could they be brothers? Where is the serial number on a Elmar by the way?

Thank you, I'll post photo's tomorrow of the camera.

Jim

L1010223.jpg by Jim Crutcher, on Flickr

L1010215.jpg by Jim Crutcher, on Flickr

L1010211.jpg by Jim Crutcher, on Flickr

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 08-16-2015   #305
jcrutcher

Photo's added. 391949

Old 08-16-2015   #306
Mr_Flibble

The serial number for the Elmar is on the black/brass bezel around the lens.

Your camera serial number is within a 100 units of both of mine.

Old 08-16-2015   #307
jcrutcher

Thanks the Elmar Serial is,

When I bought the camera I was told it was the original lens. No way for me to tell. I had Youxin do a CLA. He didn't think it was a "K" however he felt it was built in 44-46. It's a nice shooter my favorite Barnack I own.

Jim

Old 09-18-2015   #308
martinjames

Another of the Summer 1945 IIIcK cameras with an early 1950's coated Elmar. Note the B setting mark, apparently a change from the 391xxx group.

Old 10-27-2015   #309
WJJ3

http://www.lemonsha.com/item/84184.html

Flickr

Old 11-16-2015   #310
Jerzyw

i am pretty new to RFF and came across this thread just recently. I have no K, no Grey no Military wartime cameras in my collection, I have however few wartime IIIc and two early postwar (400xxx). Currently I an working on an article for VIDOM and have done some investigations on the cameras I have.
Wartime and postwar IIIc are mechanically different cameras. In internal naming convention it is 42-215 and 42-216. Some people call them type 1 and Type 2. It is not only step, screws on the top plate, diopter knob which differes them. The diecast, shutter mechanism, clockwork, rewind clutch and others that are different.
i am attaching few fotos showing inside of 389301 and 400384. 389301 was factory converted by adding flash sync, however all other components have been retained.
And there was discussion of ball bearings. Here is a photo of 389301 showing main shaft and gear on the release shaft. There is another ball bearing in uper part of main shaft and ball bearings on the small curtain drums, not shown here. As per my information the K had additional bearing on wind and rewind axes. 389301 is beyond the number listed by Lager as half race, however is such. There is no evidence that is has been modified (except flash sync). Germany engraving on the top plate identifies production after WWII.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0012058low.jpg (21.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg R0012069low.jpg (22.7 KB, 38 views)

Old 11-16-2015   #311
Erik van Straten

Yes, the top plate of your 389301 - was it originally grey?- has been replaced, because before the serial number is Nr. and not No. The change is done somewere in the fifties.

I did not find the two thin lightshields of your 389301 in my No 387599. Maybe because of the lack of those my camera leaked light.

Erik.

Old 11-16-2015   #312
Jerzyw

Erik, you are right, switch from No to Nr was in 1951. I have no evidence that it was grey in the past. as to the lightshields - you mean those under front plate or under top cover? the later may be needed becaused of different main bodies, see below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0012078.jpg (25.2 KB, 28 views)

Old 11-16-2015   #313
Erik van Straten

Interesting, how do you know that the change from No to Nr. was in 1951? I've been looking a long time for the answer of this question.

I mean the light shields under the top cover. I solved my problem with some light tight black plastic foil. I wonder if the ones from my camera are lost in time or that yours are added later.

Erik.

Old 11-16-2015   #314
Jerzyw

Publication of Leica Historica Germany 25 Jahre Leica Historica, Umbauten von Kameras mit Gewindeanschluss, Dr. M. Wagner.
Btw, my 389301 has stepped top cover, Leica must have had still old stock of such top covers in order to replace it early fifties. Lightshields:the right one (around wind shaft is placed under the top cover while the other was placed in the film cassette compartment and held through the fork.
I will be opening another wartime, red curtain next week, I will check and report existence of shields

Old 11-16-2015   #315
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzyw View Post
I will be opening another wartime, red curtain next week, I will check and report existence of shields
OK, very interesting, thank you for this information.

I have a red curtain IIIc too, 374820. I do not want to change the curtains, but I am interested in the inside of the camera. Would be great if you make some pictures.

Erik.

Old 11-16-2015   #316
Jerzyw

Ok Erik, my red curtain is from 375xxx range, I believe.
Btw, I am working now on another wartime, 373948. Interesting because this camera has nothing in common with wartime, except the SN. Camera has been converted to IIIf RD w/o selftimer after 1955 and everything, including top cover (w/o step), diecast (main body), shutter, curtains, clockwork, shields, etc. has been renewed. It will be a subject for another VIDOM article.

Old 11-16-2015   #317
Dralowid
Michael

'stepper', red blinds, no connection etc etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1518832590...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 11-16-2015   #318
megido

It seems that the early stepper frames were shorter which left a cavity either side of the body as you can see in Jerzwy's photo.
I can confirm that mine (383xxx) is like this.

Old 11-16-2015   #319
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzyw View Post
Btw, I am working now on another wartime, 373948. Interesting because this camera has nothing in common with wartime, except the SN. Camera has been converted to IIIf RD w/o selftimer after 1955 and everything, including top cover (w/o step), diecast (main body), shutter, curtains, clockwork, shields, etc. has been renewed. It will be a subject for another VIDOM article.
That would be a great item for our "conversion" thread too. Why giving a new camera an old number? I hope you will share your experience with us.

Erik.

Old 11-17-2015   #320
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
That would be a great item for our "conversion" thread too. Why giving a new camera an old number? I hope you will share your experience with us.

Erik.

Maybe to avoid the old 'Purchase Tax' or possibly other duties that would have been chargeable on a new item?

Also after WWII certain countries restricted sales to their home markets in order to get more foreign income from exporting. I know this applied to new cars, it may have to applied to new cameras too.

This information is surely available somewhere but probably not in a very digestible form...very much part of the 'conversion' story I suspect.

Michael