35mm LTM Recommendations
Old 06-25-2019   #1
tarkyn

Question 35mm LTM Recommendations

Hello all, I've recently acquired a very beautiful Canon 7sZ with the oft-touted Canon 50mm f1.8.

I'm looking for a nice 35mm to shoot street with. I originally had my eye on a CV Ultron f1.7 but then read good things about the Nikkor 35s, the Canon 35mm f2, the CV Color Skopar etc.

I would much appreciate any input/recommendations from people, especially if you have used a few LTM 35s and can compare the many options. Speed isn't a major factor as I'll likely be shooting smaller apertures doing street photography, but it isn't something I would discount either.

My ideal budget would be around AUD$550 (~USD$380) at the very top end but if something is absolutely worth it I will consider going higher.

Thanks in advance all.

Old 06-25-2019   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I use the Color Skopar with complete satisfaction. It's small enough and fast enough for me, and the performance is all I need or want for my Barnacks.

Old 06-25-2019   #3
twvancamp
Thom

I use and am really happy with the Canon 35/2. You could find one well under your budget. There is a thread just below with lots of images from this lens if you want to take a look.

Old 06-25-2019   #4
newst

The Canon 2.0/35 is a good lens with a modern rendering. An additional advantage is that it has the same sie filter ring as the 1.8/50. When out on the street with both lenses this lets you carry just a single hood and set of filters.

Old 06-25-2019   #5
splitimageview

Lots of threads here on this topic. Lots of good options...good luck in your search.

Old 06-25-2019   #6
farlymac
PF McFarland

Don't overlook the Nikon LTM lenses. I've used the 35/3.5 on my Canon P to good effect, and they are usually budget priced.

PF

Old 06-25-2019   #7
presspass
filmshooter

I have and use the Ultron 1.7 and the Canon 2.0. The Ultron is a fine lens, but a bit soft at its widest opening. The Canon is also a great lens and is shorter than the Ultron if that matters to you. I also have a lens you have not mentioned - the Elmar 3.5. Although it doesn't get mentioned a lot, it is a very small lens, only slightly deeper than a body cap. Mine is a pre-war uncoated sample and delivers stunning results on black and white film. When speed does not matter, it's my favorite of the three.

Old 06-27-2019   #8
tarkyn

Thank you all for your responses thus far!
The Canon 2/35 looks to be a popular contender. Unfortunately, they are harder to find locally in Australia where CV lenses with LTM/M adapters are more common, and so can be expensive to import from Japan etc. However, I will give this lens another look and keep an eye out for any locally.

Thank you presspass for the note about the Elmar! This does sound interesting and, with much talk on this forum about lenses with 'characteristic' looks, this lens has piqued my interest.

Thanks again for your responses, they have been very helpful in giving me user perspectives on some of these lenses. Keep the recommendations and comparisons coming!

Old 06-27-2019   #9
dourbalistar

As you noted, it might come down to what you can find locally. That said, another consideration might be ergonomics. The Canon 35/2, while very compact, does not have a focus tab; it's more like a mini SLR lens. Depending on your preference, that may or may not be a consideration. I know some street shooters prefer a focus tab for quick zone focusing adjustments.

And while you noted you'll mainly be shooting stopped down, there was a recent discussion about 35mm "character" LTM lenses. The debate about what "character" means notwithstanding, there are also some lens suggestions on that thread.

If you're considering between the Canon 35/2 and the CV Ultron 35/1.7, this thread might be of interest:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=166961

flickr

Old 06-27-2019   #10
Erik van Straten

Yes, the Elmar is a great lens, if clean from haze. However the uncoated ones can be cleaned.

Leica M2, Elmar 3.5 cm f/3.5 No.171817, 400-2TMY, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 06-27-2019   #11
newst

One 35mm I love using, small and sharp with character is the Leica LTM Summaron 3.5/35.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/681545...posted-public/

Old 06-27-2019   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Summaron under 400$ ? And same for Nikon LTM.

Canon LTM is often with fogged lenses. Ultron 35 1.7 LTM might have it as well.

Color Skopar is fine on color and nothing special on bw.

Jupiter-12 might require some light modification, but it works on 7.
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168157

It is cheapest 35 LTM to get, but optically it is fine lens. With hood added. I have 7A focus tab on mine.

Old 06-27-2019   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

If you want to stay with Canon Ltm lenses, I would look for a clean 35/2 or 35/1.5.
The CV lenses are modern and give a different look to images compared with a Canon 35/1.5, say.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-27-2019   #14
retinax

The LTM Ultron 35 1.7 often has issues, I'd only consider buying one of these from a dealer where returning it is no hassle.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=164205
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168146

Canon 35s are often available from Japan, good option if import to your country isn't as expensive as here (EU).

Old 06-27-2019   #15
rumbliegeos

I went through a search for a 35mm LTM lens like this. As I mentioned in an earlier thread on the topic, I very much liked the image qualities of the Summaron 35mm 3.5 LTM, but you should try one before buying because of its ergonomics. Because of the aperture control design, you need to set the aperture before focusing the lens because unless the infinity lock is set, adjusting the aperture will rotate the lens. This was too fiddly for me over time, and I sold my Barnack for an M anyway and eventually settled on a Zeiss M lens for that.

Old 06-27-2019   #16
oldwino

I'd get a Summaron or a Nikkor. The Canons are nice, but the images are a little "plain". Same with the Color Skopar, IMO.

current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-27-2019   #17
oldwino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbliegeos View Post
I went through a search for a 35mm LTM lens like this. As I mentioned in an earlier thread on the topic, I very much liked the image qualities of the Summaron 35mm 3.5 LTM, but you should try one before buying because of its ergonomics. Because of the aperture control design, you need to set the aperture before focusing the lens because unless the infinity lock is set, adjusting the aperture will rotate the lens. This was too fiddly for me over time, and I sold my Barnack for an M anyway and eventually settled on a Zeiss M lens for that.
The earlier A36 versions do this. The later E39 version do not. The E39 versions are much less fiddly.

current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-27-2019   #18
charjohncarter

I didn't see it mentioned here, but I bought a 35mm f3.5 Serenar (Canon) a number of years back. I'm not recommending it, but it is surprisingly sharp for the price and beautifully made. It does have a tendency to haze. I have to clean it every six months. I have the cleaning down to less than 10 minutes but most people don't want to do that.

Here is a wide open test I did:

Neopan Acros 100 expired by John Carter, on Flickr

center:

edge:

It does perform well though:

Tmax400 HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 06-27-2019   #19
newst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Summaron under 400$ ? And same for Nikon LTM.

Canon LTM is often with fogged lenses. Ultron 35 1.7 LTM might have it as well.

Color Skopar is fine on color and nothing special on bw.

Jupiter-12 might require some light modification, but it works on 7.
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168157

It is cheapest 35 LTM to get, but optically it is fine lens. With hood added. I have 7A focus tab on mine.
I hadn't realized that the Summaron prices had risen so sharply, still with patience it looks like you can still get one in the $350 range.

Old 06-27-2019   #20
charjohncarter

Yikes, I just checked EBAY on the above mentioned 35mm F3.5 Serenar. I paid $45.00 for mine now they want 7X.

Old 06-27-2019   #21
Bingley

I’ve had the Skopar 35 and still have the Canon 35/2.0. Both are superb and you can’t go wrong with either. The Skopar will be more flare resistant. The Canon is not quite so contrasty as tbe Skopar, but still gives a modern rendering overall. If you can find a clean Canon sample, jump on it. Otherwise, get theSkopar and start shooting. You can always add to or replace it later if you want to try something different.

FS: Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 06-27-2019   #22
Swift1

In the world of LTM 35s, the Color-Skopar 35/2.5 is hard to beat. It's a superb little lens at an affordable price point.
If it's helpful, here's a Flickr album of my photos taken with my copy of the lens,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daiku_...57676260382487

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 06-27-2019   #23
Alex1416

It depends on your budget like you mentioned. If you completely need to stay within your budget, then you can't go wrong with the Canon 35/2. It is small and compact and delivers excellent sharp images wide open. If you're only going to shoot outdoors in bright lighting, go for the Leica Summaron 35/3.5. That lens is clinically sharp wide open. And both lenses do wonders with B&W images.
If you totally want to blow your budget, go for the Canon 35/1.5. You can get lucky and get it for about double of your budget, but you'll never need any other 35mm haha
I wrote about it on the Canon thread as well. It is an amazing lens with beautiful vintage bokeh and sharpness/image quality that rivals the Leica 35mm's Pre Aspherical Summilux. It only loses when you start comparing to the modern Summilux.
It all depends on the look you are trying to get too.
The 35/2 gives you modern bokeh when you can get it, and is a great overall lens.
The 35/3.5 gives a hint of vintage bokeh, but is mostly for street/landscapes.
The 35/1.5 gives beautiful vintage bokeh, and is an excellent everyday lens.

Here is a sample with the 35mm f1.5
Leica M240 + Canon 35mm f1.5 LTM by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Here is a sample with the Canon 35mm f2
Leica M240 + Canon 35mm f2 LTM by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Here is a sample with Summaron 35mm f3.5
Leica M240 + Summaron 3.5cm F3.5 by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Old 07-02-2019   #24
tarkyn

Thank you all. These recommendations and advice are proving most informative.

I'm currently talking to a fellow RFF member about purchasing a Summaron 35/3.5 and whether it would be the right fit for me. As some have pointed out, I might as well start somewhere and I can sell/exchange later on depending on my needs.

I am however also going to Japan for 3 months at the end of the year and may end up hunting there for something, where there is far greater choice than in Australia. Your replies will be instrumental in my process either way.
Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2019   #25
Steve M.

Can't go wrong w/ the Summaron. Small, light, and has that classic Leica way of rendering. As nice as the Canon and third party lenses may be, they can't do that.

Old 07-03-2019   #26
Dralowid
Michael

If you can find one, the earlier 35mm f2.8 Summaron has a removable M mount which turns it into ltm. All you need to do is loosen a little screw.

Old 07-03-2019   #27
Erik van Straten

I agree with Michael here, but I am also a big fan of the Summaron 35mm f/3.5 in LTM. Put a simple adapter on it and you can use it on your M.

To free this lens from the usual haze is an easy job for a professional repairman.

Leica MP, Summaron 35mm f/3.5 LTM, Tmax400, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 07-03-2019   #28
Dan Daniel

I don't see the Canon 35mm f/1.8 LTM being mentioned, so.... consider it mentioned! Small, very nice rendering, more on the Summaron low contract sharp side rather than the Summicron or Canon f/2.0 contrast. Worth looking at.

But honestly, if I had run into a Summaron in clean condition before I ran into the Canon f/1.8, I would have gone for the Summaron. I had one years ago and loved it.

Old 07-03-2019   #29
einszwei7

i tested both the Canon 35/2 and CV 35/1.7 and i loved both, but the CV is huge for a rangefinder 35mm, i like the Canon a bit more because of that.

Optically, the CV was far superior, but with film and the way i share my photos (mostly IG, small prints) i don't think it mattered, and it's not like the Canon isn't a fine performer.

Old 07-03-2019   #30
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwino View Post
I'd get a Summaron or a Nikkor.
+1

I had a Summaron in M mount and was very happy with it. I happen to love the way many Nikkor render life so....

There are other good 35mm lenses out there, a lot depends on what you like.

B2 (;->

Old 07-03-2019   #31
rfaspen

I'll re-mention the CV 35/2.5 LTM. I have one and its a good lens. At the price point, I don't know if you can do better -- assuming you want a lens that is well corrected like a modern lens. If you're after an older low-contrast, etc. look to your images, the choices are many and already mentioned. But, do let me know if you locate a Canon 35/1.5 in your budget Hopefully there are more!

Old 07-05-2019   #32
dourbalistar

OP, there's a CV 35/2.5 for sale in the classifieds:
https://rangefinderforum.com/photopo...?product=54843

Not sure if the seller is willing to ship overseas, or if shipping costs plus any import duties would exceed your budget (or tolerance for hassle).

flickr

Old 07-08-2019   #33
tarkyn

Thanks all. I have decided to take an initial 35mm step and purchased a Summaron 35/3.5 from a fellow RFF member! Many thanks for all of your valuable recommendations and advice. Should the Summaron be ill-fitting for my needs, I will use your recommendations to further my quest.