Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 10-25-2015   #41
wjlapier

I'm glad I found me a great copy. I'm down to three digital cameras, one I rarely use ( LC1 ). The LX100 is about all I could want in a digital camera now. Zoom range is enough. Fast sharp lens. Way beyond excellent build quality. I love the Lumix colors. Always did especially with the Leica lenses.

Old 10-25-2015   #42
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Thanks for replying. As soon as I looked at the first landscape I thought "that's Australia". Then as I looked more closely I realized it was even closer than that. ☺ My wife & I drove down to a winery at McClaren Vale for lunch. The back road route thru Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Clarendon etc is far and away the nicest drive south on a warm Sunday especially once one hits open fields and rolling hills. Much better than the main south freeway.
Where in the Vale did you have lunch...one of the wineries?

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 10-25-2015   #43
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Where in the Vale did you have lunch...one of the wineries?
Yes we went to Maxwells Winery just out of McClaren Vale village. They have a nice restaurant at the winery. They have a limited choice menu, but high quality food (and surprisingly big serves).

We had intended to go to Pike and Joyce winery /restaurant in the Adelaide Hills which is terrific but it was booked out. If you have not been there go to my Flickr page (link below) and check out the panoramic vista and other shot ("vines and sky" and "laborers in the vineyard") from the restaurant. Sensational views and excellent food. But Maxwells was nice too on both counts. Well worth the trip.

Oh what the heck, here it is

Vines and sky by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Laborers in the Vineyard by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Old 10-25-2015   #44
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Nice images, fabulous white wines from the hills, best in the world, and the reds. The French are coming here to learn our ways with the fruit.
Yes, Maxwells is very nice, as for Pike and Joyce they open only weekends hence always being booked.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 10-25-2015   #45
peterm1

Quote:
Nice images, fabulous white wines from the hills, best in the world, and the reds. The French are coming here to learn our ways with the fruit.
Yes, Maxwells is very nice, as for Pike and Joyce they open only weekends hence always being booked.
Thanks. Yes the food and wine is superb. Sadly I cannot drink any more due to a liver/pancreas problem but I can at least smell the wines bouquet, eat the food (within reason) and soak up the atmosphere. (Sigh)

Old 10-25-2015   #46
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

Using the D-Lux 109 (which is essentially the same thing). I am satisfied using it as a "travel buddy" to the M240, and don;t find the 12MP limiting at all. The buttons are a little small, and tend to get pressed if you're not careful, but otherwise, it's a pleasure to use.

Over time, the extending lens stopped bothering me. The small size adds to the "stealth" factor.

Some samples:

Jumping Jacques by Johann Espiritu, on Flickr

I love tourists. by Johann Espiritu, on Flickr

Boots by Johann Espiritu, on Flickr

Flappy by Johann Espiritu, on Flickr

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 10-25-2015   #47
f16sunshine

Quote:
from the web link
Quote:
Both Leica D-Lux Typ 109 and Panasonic LX100 have 13.0 MP resolution sensors but Leica D-Lux Typ 109's sensor is Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm ) and Panasonic LX100's sensor is Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm ).

Since Panasonic LX100's has a larger sensor area with the same resolution, this means that it also has a larger pixel area hence better light collecting capacity for a given aperture compared to Leica D-Lux Typ 109.
Makes sense... oh wait.. no it doesn't !

Old 10-29-2015   #48
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Lumix LX100 actually was a revelation for me. I've disliked every single digital compact thus far that I've tried. Mainly due to controls (lack or their placement) or due to quality. I've been happy shooting film when I can't or don't want to carry a larger camera (mainly D700 with either old primes or more modern 24-70 2.8).

LX100 feels like a real camera and the viewfinder is good enough. Quality ain't the best out there anymore, but it's far cry from being bad, it's definitely good enough. For my purposes that is (printing mainly A2 at largest). The feel is superb and build quality seems spot on. I got it mainly for video at first but saw the quality of images and it now has found it's place with me almost everyday. I don't think I would miss larger cameras if this would be the only one with me on a trip or out hiking. For professional shoots or for specific purposes I'll be using DSLR still, it's not a replacement. But amazing little beast.

This doesn't mean that I would be giving up on film though

Old 12-01-2015   #49
blw

I'll drag this one back from the almost-dead. What I'd like to know is how is the manual focus? I'm trying hard to decide between the D-Lux and the x100t. I know I like the manual focus on the x100t, but I like more of what the D-Lux offers. However, the manual focus alone could sway me. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2015   #50
GaryLH

In manual focus mode, when u use focus ring, center port mag comes up..u can also setup focus peaking as well.

The x100t has three modes for manual focus.. Using evf on the x100t is similar to my xt1. So in terms of Apple to apples, evf only type comparison, judging from xt1 experience, I like the xt1/x100t better. The x100t, ovf pip window is unique.

I hardly ever use manual focus on my lx100..af is spot on 99% of the time.

Gary

Old 01-09-2016   #51
gilpen123
Gil

I was really thinking of getting the Typ 109 but it's not available at the moment so I bought a grey market LX100 at an unbelievable price of $530. I know there is a big risk but luckily I got a good one, good focus, sharp and no battery drain issue. I think I'm gonna love this camera, versatile, nice colors and sharp. here are some samples of a photoshoot I did earlier today which normally will require a fast and accurate focus camera, btw, the high ISO is also good. Here are some samples from my 1st usage of this camera.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 02-07-2016   #52
gilpen123
Gil

My 2nd outing with the LX100, I am very satisfied for what it can do and the output is more than what I expected from the camera. Happy Chinese Lunar New Year to all!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 04-09-2016   #53
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Leica 109.

Old 04-09-2016   #54
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw View Post
I'll drag this one back from the almost-dead. What I'd like to know is how is the manual focus? I'm trying hard to decide between the D-Lux and the x100t. I know I like the manual focus on the x100t, but I like more of what the D-Lux offers. However, the manual focus alone could sway me. Thanks in advance!
the lx100 manual focus (in my case peaking) is what really puts the camera over the top for me. well executed, excellent feedback from ring and you can fine tune colour/strength etc. for video, which the lx100 also excels at, it's a real pleasure to use.

a year on and it remains one of the best digital cameras i have used.

Old 04-09-2016   #55
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
............the high ISO is also good.......
Reading the latest LFI, there is an article on the 109/LX100. I'll quote a little of it in regards to the ISO.

"...........as a result, its effective resolution is 12.8mp, or 12mp in the classic 3:2 Leica format. This simply emphasizes the sensor's true purpose: to improve the camera's ISO performance........meaning the sensor of the new D-Lux (Type 109) offers practically the same number of pixels despite the fact that it has five times the surface area. Therefore, the new camera's sensor provides twice as much surface area for every pixel, enabling each pixel to capture twice the amount of light....."

Old 04-09-2016   #56
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Old 04-10-2016   #57
tbhv55

Quote:
Leica 109.

Nice muted colours - is that straight OOC, or post-processed?

Old 04-10-2016   #58
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
Nice muted colours - is that straight OOC, or post-processed?
cropped to 3:2, then adjusted shadows/highlights due to partial blown out sky, that's it.

Old 04-10-2016   #59
tbhv55

Quote:
cropped to 3:2, then adjusted shadows/highlights due to partial blown out sky, that's it.
Thanks - pretty minimal, then! It looks as though the 109 gives more subtle colours than the LX100 (which I have). For some subjects, I find the LX100 colours to be excellent, but your image shows a different kind of colour - which greatly appeals to me, for shots such as yours.

Interesting... thanks for posting.

Old 04-19-2016   #60
fireblade
Vincenzo.

L-109

Old 05-01-2016   #61
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Leica 109

Old 05-07-2016   #62
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Leica 109.

Old 06-09-2016   #63
fireblade
Vincenzo.

leica 109

Old 06-09-2016   #64
maggieo
More Deadly

I gave my husband a Typ109 and he abandoned his Nikon D600 for it.

Old 06-10-2016   #65
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
I gave my husband a Typ109 and he abandoned his Nikon D600 for it.

I can understand why, the files are excellent.
Adding the hand grip makes it a perfect camera, beautifully built.

Old 06-10-2016   #66
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
I'm like my LX100 a lot. It has pretty much replaced D700+24-70 combo for most things. But I wouldn't use it when shooting portraits Other then that, it's my only digital that gets tons of use these days. Actually my D700 is at the end of its road (over 300 000 shots and by quit a lot, cosmetically it's also quite worn). After it's dead, LX100 will be my only digital camera. I made decision to go back to film for everything and only use digital as a preview. My nikkor lenses will continue their lives on my F5 and FG, and LX100 will be in my bag at all times (like it already is).

The file quality is top notch! I'm in awe every time I look at the files. It's every bit as good as my D700 but with less shallow DOF due to smaller sensor .

Iceland Landscape by Santtu Määttänen, on Flickr

Old 06-10-2016   #67
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
I'm like my LX100 a lot. It has pretty much replaced D700+24-70 combo for most things. But I wouldn't use it when shooting portraits Other then that, it's my only digital that gets tons of use these days. Actually my D700 is at the end of its road (over 300 000 shots and by quit a lot, cosmetically it's also quite worn). After it's dead, LX100 will be my only digital camera. I made decision to go back to film for everything and only use digital as a preview. My nikkor lenses will continue their lives on my F5 and FG, and LX100 will be in my bag at all times (like it already is).

The file quality is top notch! I'm in awe every time I look at the files. It's every bit as good as my D700 but with less shallow DOF due to smaller sensor .

My direction as well. Film rules and LX100 for digital.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-10-2016   #68
kshapero
My view

Thumbs up

Quote:
Which hand grip are you using?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-10-2016   #69
darya151

Is there ANY difference in image quality between the LX100 and the Leica type 109? It is supposed to be the same camera (internally) but yet I've noticed that many of the images from the Leica, particularly in black and white look smoother and richer. Is this a matter of processing?

Many thanks

Old 06-10-2016   #70
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya151 View Post
Is there ANY difference in image quality between the LX100 and the Leica type 109? It is supposed to be the same camera (internally) but yet I've noticed that many of the images from the Leica, particularly in black and white look smoother and richer. Is this a matter of processing?

Many thanks
There shouldn't be any difference in raw files, in jpg there can be significant changes due to Leica using its own firmware.

For me LX100 works nicely. I tried handling Leica d-109 but Panasonic handled better for me (nice grip build in, even better with leather half case).

But which ever you get, it's one hell of a camera. For the price it's hard to beat.

Old 06-10-2016   #71
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:

Wonderful.

Old 06-10-2016   #72
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Which hand grip are you using?
The Leica one.

Old 06-11-2016   #73
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya151 View Post
I agree - I have the LX100, and like it very much, but I have noticed the same thing. I find it difficult to pin down precisely what the difference is, but for me it does seem to be there. I did make an attempt at imitating the "look" through processing, but failed.

Maybe there really IS such a thing as a Leica look. Or maybe my post-processing skills are lacking...

Old 06-11-2016   #74
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Two more, one with colour For me this smallish compact was a revelation in digital photography. Mainly due to the fact that something as small as this can provide me with quality I expect from a full size dSLR. File size is non-issue since I only print A2 at the largest and I've had good experiences printing 12Mp files from D700. All my huge prints have been done from several files as composites. Or from film scans.

Icelandic Landscape by Santtu Määttänen, on Flickr

Vik by Santtu Määttänen, on Flickr

Old 06-11-2016   #75
Merlijn53

Quote:
I agree - I have the LX100, and like it very much, but I have noticed the same thing. I find it difficult to pin down precisely what the difference is, but for me it does seem to be there. I did make an attempt at imitating the "look" through processing, but failed.

Maybe there really IS such a thing as a Leica look. Or maybe my post-processing skills are lacking...
Difference?
There is no Leica look. It's all in the head of the Leica owner. Emotion.
Frank

Old 06-11-2016   #76
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlijn53 View Post
Difference?
There is no Leica look. It's all in the head of the Leica owner. Emotion.
Frank
I have to admit that when I'm shooting one of my Leica Ms, I think I try a bit harder and am more on-point. I can't blame the camera and there's a legacy to hold up.

So, maybe the red dot is a placebo, but the placebo effect is real.

Old 06-12-2016   #77
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Once more with a feeling

Rift in Iceland by Santtu Määttänen, on Flickr

Old 06-12-2016   #78
tbhv55

Quote:
Once more with a feeling
Joan Armatrading? Or maybe I'm way off track...

Old 06-12-2016   #79
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Leica 109

Old 06-12-2016   #80
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
Joan Armatrading? Or maybe I'm way off track...
Amazing singer and Love and Affection is a great piece. Even though wasn't intentional link, but a nice one