Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

LUMIX LX100 (Is it a superb camera?)
Old 07-24-2015   #1
raid
Dad Photographer

LUMIX LX100 (Is it a superb camera?)

Tell us if this camera is worth the $600-$800 or not, Does it replace the Digilux 2?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-24-2015   #2
kshapero
My view

I have one. It is amazing in every respect except it is just too small for me. I am 6'1" if that matters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-24-2015   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

Is the Summicron an excellent lens on your camera? I have the (old) Vario Summicron on the LC1

Old 07-24-2015   #4
wjlapier

Too funny, Raid. I contemplated the same thing. LC1, LX7, or LX100. Why not all three!

Old 07-24-2015   #5
jsrockit

I've been looking at this camera as well. I cannot decide if it'll be good enough IQ wise or not (compared to my other cameras; Nikon Df, Sony A7II, Ricoh GR). I know it's not on par, but by how much...

Old 07-24-2015   #6
Monochrom

It seems a nice camera, but i havenīt been able to see a respectable review from a well known "reviewer", why is that?

Iīd love to see something on this cam form mingthein, huff, rockwell or hands-on-review from hk!

Old 07-24-2015   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

I read that the images are sharp from corner to corner.

Old 07-24-2015   #8
kshapero
My view

Took it to Israel. made an 11x14 inch photo book and folks think the results are incredible. Of course I did not allow anyone the use of a magnifying glass.
Anyway I think the IQ is there. Using the ring (around the lens) for zooming is a joke as it is unstable and sometimes moves on its on. But the zoom toggle on the shutter button is firm and accurate. My only real niggle. The aperture ring works very well.

Old 07-24-2015   #9
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I've been looking at this camera as well. I cannot decide if it'll be good enough IQ wise or not (compared to my other cameras; Nikon Df, Sony A7II, Ricoh GR). I know it's not on par, but by how much...
The images are not going to have the iq of those other cameras...but I really like the looks of the shots from the lx100. The control layout is just the way I like it. It is just a fun camera to use. 8x10 to 11x14 should be just fine w/ this camera. Up to 13x19 is pushing it a bit and ymmv really depends on your viewing distance. I remember pushing 13x19 w/ 10mp cameras. I really is about viewing distance.

It is bigger than the lx7, but not so big that u can't stow it in cargo pants or jacket pocket.

The only thing I wish it had was a tilt LCD. Right now I am using it more than my GR or Fuji XT1.

Gary

Old 07-25-2015   #10
Merlijn53

Especially if you like film more than digital, it certainly is a superb camera. It's a film camera with a sensor. Make some basic settings you like and than forget about the lcd. As for iq, the Leica lens is perfect. Sold all digital gear, bought an LX100 and a nice Hasselblad set. I'm happy with it.
Frank

Old 07-25-2015   #11
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlijn53 View Post
Especially if you like film more than digital, it certainly is a superb camera. It's a film camera with a sensor. Make some basic settings you like and than forget about the lcd. As for iq, the Leica lens is perfect. Sold all digital gear, bought an LX100 and a nice Hasselblad set. I'm happy with it.
Frank
Interesting comments (especially the bold highlight)... as it happens, a few days ago, I downloaded a couple of LX100 Raw files from a review site, and converted them using Rawtherapee (great converter BTW). I was struck by how "film-like" the images appeared, considering that they're from a digital camera.

Now I'm worried - the LX100 is looking more and more attractive...

Old 07-25-2015   #12
GaryLH

Just as an FYI. Someone started a image thread for this camera over at what used to be serious compact camera..now known as photographers lounge..

http://www.photographerslounge.org/threads/32238/

Gary

Old 07-29-2015   #13
wjlapier

Received a LX100 yesterday. Going back today. Soft images that are unacceptable. I really like Lumix cameras so I'm really bummed that this camera came up short.

For the occasions I bought it for I'm not sure what to look at now. Maybe the Sony RX100.

Old 07-29-2015   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

WOW. Thanks for this feedback on the LX100. What a bummer.

Old 07-29-2015   #15
wjlapier

Check Ming Thein and Steve Huff's reviews. I did before buying but also read other's as well, such as DPReview.

I did have the Type 109 when it first came out. I guess in hindsight I should have kept that one. Sharp wide open throughout the zoom range. There was a slight less-softness at the edges but acceptable. Bummer, because I don't want to go through the process of finding a good copy.

Old 07-29-2015   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
Received a LX100 yesterday. Going back today. Soft images that are unacceptable.
I was afraid of this...

Old 08-13-2015   #17
wjlapier

Found a sharp copy for $600. The seller was kind enough to send me photos from 24-75mm wide open and stopped down. Sharp! Then I received the camera and did my own test. Sharp wide open--even in the thirds corners. So, the one I had that was returned must have been a bad copy. I'm relieved, because I really wanted one of these. Just thought some of you would like to know.

Old 08-13-2015   #18
kshapero
My view

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I was afraid of this...
Has not been my experience. Images are super sharp for its genre. BTW put a thumbs up on the body. Gives me much more control.

Old 08-13-2015   #19
sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Has not been my experience. Images are super sharp for its genre. BTW put a thumbs up on the body. Gives me much more control.
Hi Akiva, which thumbs up model are you using on the LX100?

Old 08-13-2015   #20
f16sunshine

Lots of posts. Not a single image

Old 08-13-2015   #21
wjlapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Lots of posts. Not a single image
Another camera worthy of fondling.

I'd like to know what Thumbs up too.

Old 08-13-2015   #22
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
Hi Akiva, which thumbs up model are you using on the LX100?
here is where I got it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321445083929...STRK%3AMEBIDX%

Old 08-13-2015   #23
kshapero
My view

Old 08-13-2015   #24
sleepyhead

Quote:
THANK you for this information

Old 08-22-2015   #25
emraphoto

I have been using an LX100 daily. It is a very, very capable camera. Responsive and we'll layed out, almost the perfect package for me.

Truthfully I cannot echo the 'soft' outcome with images. Raw files that have been handled right will easily print up A3/A2 with no concerns. I do print quite often. I am not contesting others needs, simply passing on my experience.

The cinema capability of this camera is nothing short of amazing. It is a bare bones approach without the bells and whistles of most compact video options. Not a filter based approach. Manual focus, tracking, speed, manual control and so on. No onboard audio however that is a smart move in my humble opinion. The zoom H1 will always do better and you can hook up LAV and headphones at the same time. There is decent stereo mics built in.

The only critique I have is the Video record button is right beside the average persons thumb rest, just beyond the AE button. It is an odd fit for adding a viewfinder such as Zacutto. The viewfinder and the rec button will require a model specific finder/loupe/whatever.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic will release a firmware update allowing the 'filter' button topside to be reprogrammed and version 2 will also reflect this.

The megapixel count is what it is. I'd argue beyond most quality requirements. Keep in mind I have a lab do my printing and we have been working together for a long time.

I have shot all day on one battery. Just today I was thinking how awesome it is I can fit all my assignment gear in a small sized field bag. Everything, some in duplicate. The LX100 is a game changer for me.

Old 08-22-2015   #26
Harlee

I don't have a Lumix LX100, but I do have two Lumix cameras with Leica lenses and they both produce excellent images. They're not as popular as the Nikon or Canon, but their images are superb.

Old 08-22-2015   #27
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
I have been using an LX100 daily. It is a very, very capable camera. Responsive and we'll layed out, almost the perfect package for me.
The LX100 is a game changer for me.
Interesting - I know from your previous posts on here that you've used the Fuji x100 extensively - how would you rate the LX100 against the Fuji? In particular, pros and cons of each? Not so concerned about IQ (as I presume it's pretty good), more about general user experience, and ergonomics.

TIA.

Old 08-23-2015   #28
emraphoto

well, prior to my thoughts it is prudent to know, i am a Fujifilm brand ambassador. most will begin by stating no affiliation with the manufacturer whereas i begin with the opposite.

i consider the latest incarnations of the x100 series to be one of the best reportage stills cameras i have worked on. this is a highly subjective statement of course. if i was to choose, for stills only, the x100s and x100t, both of which i own, would be my 'desert island' camera. i am quite happy to shoot the 35mm equivalent for the rest of my life and the image quality is beyond what i need. i will add that i print and exhibit regularly as well as run work through very big media outlets and remain pleased with the X100 output.

i bought the LX100 as i also shoot and teach cinema/video. to date Fuji has treated video as an afterthought. while i am sure the video quality on the Fuji X series is mote that enough for most, for me the camera interface, codecs, bit rates etc have been a deal breaker. the LX100 though, has been so close to perfect (for my needs) i was quite surprised.

so, a question with variables. what are you end needs? for me, as an assignment guy, multimedia is the name of the game so the LX100 becomes one of the leading contenders. if stills was the only requirement, the X100s/t would be my choice, no question.

another caveat to keep in mind is that my mantra has always been 'content trumps all'. i am not a pixel peeper, i don't shoot commercial billboards and bokeh is of little interest. none of this is to be mistaken for dogma

Old 08-24-2015   #29
tbhv55

Quote:
so, a question with variables. what are you end needs? for me, as an assignment guy, multimedia is the name of the game so the LX100 becomes one of the leading contenders. if stills was the only requirement, the X100s/t would be my choice, no question.

another caveat to keep in mind is that my mantra has always been 'content trumps all'. i am not a pixel peeper, i don't shoot commercial billboards and bokeh is of little interest. none of this is to be mistaken for dogma
Many thanks for your thoughts on this. The reality is that I have no "need" at all, since it's all just for enjoyment, and truth-be-known, the LX100 has simply piqued my interest. It would be pure indulgence only, since I already own (amongst other cameras) an original x100. The attraction, for me, is that the LX100 is approximately the same basic shape and format as the x100, but with a useful range of focal lengths, all in a slightly smaller (and even lighter) package. That's about all there is to it, really... I certainly don't need an LX100, but I do quite like the idea of one.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Old 08-24-2015   #30
emraphoto

i am confident you would not be disappointed with adding the LX100 to the roster. it is one of the absolute best variable focal length compacts i have ever used. i believe the lens alone to be worth the price of admission.

the days of slow, unresponsive and menu driven digital compacts seems to have passed.

Old 08-26-2015   #31
tbhv55

Quote:
i am confident you would not be disappointed with adding the LX100 to the roster. it is one of the absolute best variable focal length compacts i have ever used. i believe the lens alone to be worth the price of admission.
Thanks - that's useful to know.

Quote:
the days of slow, unresponsive and menu driven digital compacts seems to have passed.
Let's hope so...!

Old 09-25-2015   #32
kshapero
My view

Quote:
I have one. It is amazing in every respect except it is just too small for me. I am 6'1" if that matters.
I really love this camera. Thinking of buying the wood grip to better fit my hands. Anybody tried this?

highlights
Old 10-24-2015   #33
darya151

highlights

I've been looking on flickr, and the photographs look really lovely. I am curious, how does the LX100 handle highlights? I am so tempted! I often have to shoot in the middle of the day, high noon, would this camera be a good choice?
Many thanks to all,

Darya

Old 10-24-2015   #34
GaryLH

Depends on the situations.. It is going to be much better than a p&s sensor and better than a 1 inch one. But the dynamic range is still from a 16mp Panasonic m43 sensor and digital path electronics.

In the bright afternoon light, I tend to use exposure comp dial to minus 1/3 to 2/3 and use my photo sw to dial the shot in..

Gary

Forgot to mention that the camera has built-in HDR mode (jpg).. So far I have never used it.

Old 10-24-2015   #35
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya151 View Post
I've been looking on flickr, and the photographs look really lovely. I am curious, how does the LX100 handle highlights? I am so tempted! I often have to shoot in the middle of the day, high noon, would this camera be a good choice?
Many thanks to all, Darya

You will be happy with it. I have the Leica equivalent and it handles highlights very well, especially here in Oz and the South pacific where the sun is always bright.

-1EV

-0.3EV

0EV

0EV

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 10-24-2015   #36
maitani

anybody knows if the leica 109 typ is the exact same camera as the lx100? are there any differences feature and iq wise?

Old 10-25-2015   #37
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
anybody knows if the leica 109 typ is the exact same camera as the lx100? are there any differences feature and iq wise?
http://cameradecision.com/compare/Le...umix-DMC-LX100

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 10-25-2015   #38
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post

Fireblade, we're some of the photos you posted taken in Coromandel Valley? If so, its odd coincidence as I think I drove past the locations depicted only today (first time I have been on that road in years)

Old 10-25-2015   #39
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Fireblade, we're some of the photos you posted taken in Coromandel Valley? If so, its odd coincidence as I think I drove past the locations depicted only today (first time I have been on that road in years)
Yes Peter, two of them are in the Coromandel Valley...it's a nice drive

Old 10-25-2015   #40
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Yes Peter, two of them are in the Coromandel Valley...it's a nice drive
Thanks for replying. As soon as I looked at the first landscape I thought "that's Australia". Then as I looked more closely I realized it was even closer than that. ☺ My wife & I drove down to a winery at McClaren Vale for lunch. The back road route thru Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Clarendon etc is far and away the nicest drive south on a warm Sunday especially once one hits open fields and rolling hills. Much better than the main south freeway.