Ektachrome update?
Old 01-23-2018   #1
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Ektachrome update?

Gosh, just looked at the calendar...

Has anyone heard of an update on the re-appearance of Ektachrome, since the last announcement in November?

I would like to do a project entirely on Velvia or maybe Provia but Ektachrome may work better but how long will we have to wait?
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018   #2
Mackinaw
Think Different
 
Mackinaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: One hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge
Posts: 3,298
This was on APUG a few weeks back:

https://youtu.be/2jBYtHwvRaw

Jim B.
__________________
My fancy-schmancy gallery:
http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018   #3
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
This was on APUG a few weeks back:

https://youtu.be/2jBYtHwvRaw

Jim B.
Thanks for that! At least I know they are only looking at 35mm, 16mm and Super 8.

I am still stunned that the wheel has to be re-invented from scratch, but hopefully they will get it going!!!
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018   #4
roscoetuff
Registered User
 
roscoetuff is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington DC
Age: 61
Posts: 502
Dave: If you listen, the trick isn't starting from scratch per se, but adapting the formula to current EPA chem requirements AND more importantly, to small batch production. The first is a "Duh!" (or "Doh!"), but the 2nd is actually good news I think.
__________________
-JW Mersereau ("Skip")

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018   #5
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
Dave: If you listen, the trick isn't starting from scratch per se, but adapting the formula to current EPA chem requirements AND more importantly, to small batch production. The first is a "Duh!" (or "Doh!"), but the 2nd is actually good news I think.
Makes sense!

For my part, I applaud Kodak for not only hanging in there but moving forward (or is it backward?) and I wish them all the best!

These are tough times, no doubt! Interesting, yes, frustrating, sometimes, but all in all, kudos to Kodak!
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018   #6
x-ray
Registered User
 
x-ray's Avatar
 
x-ray is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee USA
Age: 69
Posts: 4,617
I'm really happy to see them reintroducing it. Hopefully they'll introduce it in 120
and sheets. Also hopefully they'll introduce the tree variations they made when it was discontinued. For those unfamiliar they made a neutral, a warm and saturated versions. The neutral was just that and an excellent technical or commercial film. The warm version was especially nice with skin tones and the saturated was a little more saturated but not as much as velvia and the contrast was very moderate compared to the excessively contrasty velvia.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018   #7
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 66
Posts: 817
I'm disappointed that there are no plans to produce Ektachrome in 120.

I really liked the warm version when Kodak offered it, as the light in my area tends to be on the cool side and I use an 81B filter much of the time. With the warmer film, I didn't need to use the filter.

- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2018   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron
 
sepiareverb's Avatar
 
sepiareverb is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Johnsbury VT
Posts: 8,042
The SW was my most used film when I was shooting stock. I’d shoot that again from time to time.
__________________
-Bob
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018   #9
samuelphoto
Registered User
 
samuelphoto's Avatar
 
samuelphoto is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 148
OK, it’s now mid May and this has gone radio silent. Anyone know what’s up with Ektachrome?
__________________
Havagudn!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018   #10
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 504
well they re-released P3200. i think that's a pretty good indication that kodak is serious about bringing back some 35mm film.

it seems possible that its release is tied to that stupid Super 8 cam.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #11
wjlapier
Registered User
 
wjlapier's Avatar
 
wjlapier is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,586
If you want to shoot Ektachrome in 120 or 35 there is a guy on photrio who was unloading a lot of it. I purchased a bunch in 120 and it was still really nice. I sent my first roll to Dwaynes to factor my developing out of the equation. The same guy had a bunch of 35mm Ektachrome film and I bought a lot of that as well. Actually, I've bought a lot of other film from him mostly 220. Every once in a while he adds more film to his ad. He claims freezer stored and I'm certain it is. His prices are reasonable I think.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #12
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
If you want to shoot Ektachrome in 120 or 35 there is a guy on photrio who was unloading a lot of it. I purchased a bunch in 120 and it was still really nice. I sent my first roll to Dwaynes to factor my developing out of the equation. The same guy had a bunch of 35mm Ektachrome film and I bought a lot of that as well. Actually, I've bought a lot of other film from him mostly 220. Every once in a while he adds more film to his ad. He claims freezer stored and I'm certain it is. His prices are reasonable I think.
Hey, Bill, have you got a link to share?😀
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #13
BernardL
Registered User
 
BernardL is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 74
Quote:
Hey, Bill, have you got a link to share?��
photrio
advanced search
"Ektachrome" in "[Classifieds] For Sale"
returns:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...e-sold.158606/
(all sold)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #14
wjlapier
Registered User
 
wjlapier's Avatar
 
wjlapier is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,586
That's the one. I couldn't find that particular ad, but I did find his more recent one and sent to someone who was curious. Probably could ask if he has any more of the Ektachrome.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...x-film.158879/
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #15
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Great!!!

Thanks, guys!!!
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #16
samuelphoto
Registered User
 
samuelphoto's Avatar
 
samuelphoto is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 148
Thanks, but I’m not interested in a one-off grab. Has anyone seen or heard anything about what KODAK is doing? Maybe they’ve changed their minds and pulling the plug?
__________________
Havagudn!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #17
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 66
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphoto View Post
Thanks, but I’m not interested in a one-off grab. Has anyone seen or heard anything about what KODAK is doing? Maybe they’ve changed their minds and pulling the plug?

+1


I still have some Ektachrome in the freezer. What I'm interested in is an ongoing supply of fresh production.


- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is online now
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
I'm disappointed that there are no plans to produce Ektachrome in 120.

I really liked the warm version when Kodak offered it, as the light in my area tends to be on the cool side and I use an 81B filter much of the time. With the warmer film, I didn't need to use the filter.

- Murray
Maybe if the sales of 35mm and 16mm are good, Kodak will be encouraged to bring back 120 Ektachrome. I'd buy it!
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #19
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Maybe if the sales of 35mm and 16mm are good, Kodak will be encouraged to bring back 120 Ektachrome. I'd buy it!
And if 120 sales are good, maybe 4x5, and if 4x5 sales are good maybe 8x10, etc. I think we might want to see if it comes out in 35mm before we get too excited.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #20
bluesun267
Registered User
 
bluesun267's Avatar
 
bluesun267 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 216
Last thing I could find (from April 2nd):

https://www.super8.tv/en/ektachrome-...er-8-and-16mm/

So they're saying Summer/Fall. (Not pleased with this minimum order nonsense for 16mm though!)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #21
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun267 View Post
Last thing I could find (from April 2nd):

https://www.super8.tv/en/ektachrome-...er-8-and-16mm/

So they're saying Summer/Fall. (Not pleased with this minimum order nonsense for 16mm though!)
How much 16mm would you go through? At 11min/400ft or less than 3min/100ft a 1/2 box (10 rolls) would only get you between 30min and 2 hours of footage. It seems to me like a short 10 min film would easily use 10 100ft rolls and likely 10 400ft rolls?

I have my fingers crossed for 120...
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #22
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 3,590
With their minimum purchase limit, they are pricing myself and most, if not all hobbyist 16mm shooters. I only want to buy four 100ft rolls at a time. At 16fps, it gives me almost 15 minutes of footage which I'm fine with. I guess I'm sticking with XX EK5222 and TriX.

Phil Forrest
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #23
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
With their minimum purchase limit, they are pricing myself and most, if not all hobbyist 16mm shooters. I only want to buy four 100ft rolls at a time. At 16fps, it gives me almost 15 minutes of footage which I'm fine with. I guess I'm sticking with XX EK5222 and TriX.

Phil Forrest
Yeah, it'd get expensive quickly!
I assume that a shop can buy 10 rolls though and then sell them off individually? I'd imagine Freestyle would split the boxes up and sell it 100ft at a time?
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018   #24
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 5,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Yeah, it'd get expensive quickly!
I assume that a shop can buy 10 rolls though and then sell them off individually? I'd imagine Freestyle would split the boxes up and sell it 100ft at a time?

Exactly. I was also going to suggest a group buy, then divvy it up.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2018   #25
bluesun267
Registered User
 
bluesun267's Avatar
 
bluesun267 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 216
Yes, to answer one of the above questioners: I can and often do make a 100' roll of 16mm (3 min) last all day if I want to. One doesn't shoot 16mm like digital. It's a measured activity, much like 4x5 (or 120) to still photogs.

I'm guessing 100' of 16mm will be $50 or more. (ECN runs $46 something).

I think the greater issue is why they are limiting sales of 16mm to 10 rolls, on a "Make to order" basis. This smacks of bankruptcy thinking; it's like, we really don't want to make this...but...

None of their other 16mm stocks have that ridiculous minimum. And the nice thing about motion picture, individuals can order it directly from them. Any re-seller pays the same as any individual and that means buying from a re-seller would be anywhere from 30%-50% higher.

If anyone from Kodak happens to read this, please stop torturing us and just make 16mm a regular catalog item! You'll sell more, I'll SHOOT more (in the long term)...and we'll both be happier.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018   #26
Mackinaw
Think Different
 
Mackinaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: One hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge
Posts: 3,298
For those asking for an Ektachrome update, this just popped up on FB. Expect some news very soon.



Jim B.
__________________
My fancy-schmancy gallery:
http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018   #27
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Very cool!!!

Thanks, Jim!
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018   #28
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 8,306
Good news, I hope 120 will eventually be added.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018   #29
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
For those asking for an Ektachrome update, this just popped up on FB. Expect some news very soon.



Jim B.
Tomorrow is Monday. Any more word on FB regarding an announcement?
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018   #30
samuelphoto
Registered User
 
samuelphoto's Avatar
 
samuelphoto is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 148
“Second round of tests are complete and I have some test images.” Really? That sounds like a helluva long way away from being production ready, more like still tinkering in the lab.
__________________
Havagudn!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018   #31
Mackinaw
Think Different
 
Mackinaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: One hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Tomorrow is Monday. Any more word on FB regarding an announcement?
Nothing on FB as of now (Sunday night). Maybe tomorrow.

Jim B.
__________________
My fancy-schmancy gallery:
http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018   #32
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 504
kodak professional posted some sample images and news on instagram.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #33
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
kodak professional posted some sample images and news on instagram.

What is instagram?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #34
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
What is instagram?
Hahahaha!!! Indeed....

Humor is always appreciated.
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #35
Prest_400
Multiformat
 
Prest_400's Avatar
 
Prest_400 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spain
Posts: 777
FB update with 3 shots: https://www.facebook.com/kodakprofes...00009583350704


Its rendering seems quite classic, bordering what Kodachrome was like... Might have been on purpose given all the noise about it.

Would be interesting to see samples in other lighting and scenery as well.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #36
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
FB update with 3 shots: https://www.facebook.com/kodakprofes...00009583350704


Its rendering seems quite classic, bordering what Kodachrome was like... Might have been on purpose given all the noise about it.

Would be interesting to see samples in other lighting and scenery as well.
the color palette is kind of retro and kind of modern. i'm eager to see what the final product is capable of producing.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #37
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
What is instagram?
in 10 years, when we've moved onto the next platform, you'll be talking about how good instagram still is.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #38
bluesun267
Registered User
 
bluesun267's Avatar
 
bluesun267 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 216
Kodak is its own worst enemy with regards to digital promotion of analog images. I don't think those scans could be any true representation of color palette or otherwise. Just look at their hideous examples of Super 8 on Youtube. Super 8 can look so much better but scanning it to retain a modicum of quality is another, very difficult, craft

I have faith in their film manufacturing abilities though!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018   #39
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
in 10 years, when we've moved onto the next platform, you'll be talking about how good instagram still is.

You are incorrect.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018   #40
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,741
Teaser test results:

https://petapixel.com/2018/06/04/kod...tachrome-film/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei.../%3fsource=dam
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 20:31.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.