Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Canon EOS RP - Ultralight FF Mirroless
Old 02-06-2019   #1
Archlich

Canon EOS RP - Ultralight FF Mirroless

Surprisingly there's no subforum for Canon mirrorless cameras...

https://www.nokish!ta-camera.com/2019/02/eos-rp.html

- 26.2 Megapixel full frame sensor
- Dual Pixel AF
- DIGIC 8 Processor
- 5fps
- ISO:100-40000 (50-102400 expanded)
- Organic EL EVF
- 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm
- 440 grams body only, 485 grams with battery
- Rumored MSRP is $1300-$1600

This is one small ugly camera that doesn't have in body stabilization. But oh my it is small...and light. Lighter than anything else in the class. And it has an actual grip. Fully articulated screen is good for us who don't want to bother with the monitor.

Would be nice for adapted lenses.

Old 02-06-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Adapted EF mount lenses I have
If it will be the price, I'll upgrade from 5D MKII for higher iso and less weight, size.

Old 02-06-2019   #3
retinax

Now if they can make small lenses, don't need to be fast, but performing well...
A tiny 40 and a tiny 28 a la Cl would be nice.

Old 02-06-2019   #4
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Now if they can make small lenses, don't need to be fast, but performing well...
The 35/1.8 IS STM is not big. Other than that I doubt we'd see any truly small native lenses soon. Manufacturers are concentrating on rushing out big pro lenses for the Tokyo Olympics next year.

That's why it seems to be good for adapted small lenses for the moment...

Old 02-06-2019   #5
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Other than that I doubt we'd see any truly small native lenses soon.
I doubt we will see small lenses anytime soon. Manufacturers seem to have lost the desire or capability to make them. The Fujicrons are the exception.

Old 02-06-2019   #6
jsrockit

They at least need a regular style 50mm (F1.8 to F2) at a decent price for these cameras. A $1600 body with a $3000 50mm is not going to work too well for the budget conscious crowd. I'm not an adapter fan at all.

Old 02-06-2019   #7
littleearth

That is one ugly little camera ! I do love their lenses though.

Old 02-06-2019   #8
bayernfan

Canon's AF point selection on these first R cameras leaves a lot to be desired. Moving the hand away from the dials to 'thumb' the rear screen seems so unnecessary when a thumb stick could have easily been implemented. I have a feeling they're saving the thumb-stick for the professional models.

Old 02-06-2019   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
40 2.8 is the pancake, adapter adds to it, but it is still compact.
My EF 22-55 is compact zoom and it works fine on EOS.
Writes the lens ID and aperture size to exif.

Old 02-06-2019   #10
santino
eXpect me

It is ugly... at least it doesn't have a fake pentaprism.

Old 02-06-2019   #11
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
It is ugly... at least it doesn't have a fake pentaprism.
Thanks for noticing! Now I know why I like it amongst all of those ugly variations of original ugly A7

Old 02-06-2019   #12
Range-rover

No way, like always they're milking it, expensive lenses to boot not impressed!

Old 02-06-2019   #13
bayernfan

the massive lenses are also very unappealing.

Old 02-06-2019   #14
nightfly

I don't quite understand what the appeal of these cameras are as opposed to DSLRs when the lenses are so large and the bodies are marginally smaller and less bulky.

Is getting rid of the pentaprism/mirror that much of an advantage to DSLR folks?

If I already had invested in a full frame Canon or Nikon DSLR and lenses, why would I want one of these?

Genuinely curious. I don't quite get it coming from the Leica film and digital world.

Old 02-06-2019   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
No way, like always they're milking it, expensive lenses to boot not impressed!
Bob, they are supposedly going to make the cheapest new FF digital camera ever (at launch)... while the specs are not groundbreaking, I can't agree that they are milking it.

Old 02-06-2019   #16
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I doubt we will see small lenses anytime soon. Manufacturers seem to have lost the desire or capability to make them. ...
Methinks manufactures will soon rediscover them, once current "make it as big as you like, as long as its fast" trend has been exhausted.

Old 02-06-2019   #17
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
Methinks manufactures will soon rediscover them, once current "make it as big as you like, as long as its fast" trend has been exhausted.
Not if you look at the lens roadmaps for Canon, Nikon, and Leica SL. I don't think Panasonic has posted a roadmap, but given the size of the full frame bodies and the three announced lenses, I am not expecting any small lenses from them anytime soon.

Old 02-06-2019   #18
al1966
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
I don't quite understand what the appeal of these cameras are as opposed to DSLRs when the lenses are so large and the bodies are marginally smaller and less bulky.

Is getting rid of the pentaprism/mirror that much of an advantage to DSLR folks?

If I already had invested in a full frame Canon or Nikon DSLR and lenses, why would I want one of these?

Genuinely curious. I don't quite get it coming from the Leica film and digital world.
The big advantage I find is having set the EVF to the same brightness as my monitor that is set to print density from my printer I get a great view of exposure. However, I don't use any of the FF bodies any more, as the lenses seem bigger than DSLR alternatives. The Hassleblad X1d seemed more compact than the Sony I sold and the M240 with f2 lenses is again smaller. I shoot m43 where I can get small size and it does the job. From what I have read a lot of this oversized lenses is down to people wanting lenses that are perfectly sharp from edge to edge from f1.x to f22, and so they end up being very over corrected. Yet there are great photographs taken with lenses designed with pen and paper that had great character and some magical qualities.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 02-06-2019   #19
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post

New Leica lenses are often bulky as well. Sumilux 21,24 1.4 are half a kilo bricks.

Mirrorless FF EOS allows to use all of the Canon lenses, in principal,
from LTM, to FD to EF. I have Canon LTM and EF. And best (optically) 28mm I owned was FD mount 70$ lens.

It is no difference from Leica, which I also own. All lenses are compatible via adapter.

Basically, RP is same size and weight as my EOS300 film Canon.
And I have no problem to use my L zooms on it. In fact, it is my most preferable SLR film body, because of small size and weight. And it has AF, great metering, flash and all modes. I didn't bond with Canon EOS 3 and even Elan 7e is little bit large for my taste.
I don't take out 5DMKII because of bulk and weight, but I like to go out with small EOS 300 and same Canon L lenses.

Now, if Canon ever puts FF into SL body... I could use just EF lenses and this will be it .

If here is no problem to haul three Leica lenses each is 3K$, I don't see a problem with 16-35 f2.8 L lens to be just single lens for 1.5K$ via 129$ adapter. It is f2.8 on 16 and 18mm. And it takes pictures at 21, 24, 28 and 35 mm as well. So, it is 5+1 Leica lens in one.
DSLR, small FF doesn't matter, advantage is the same.

Old 02-06-2019   #20
Range-rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Bob, they are supposedly going to make the cheapest new FF digital camera ever (at launch)... while the specs are not groundbreaking, I can't agree that they are milking it.
I think so, all the new cameras like this are about $2000 and up, maybe
one day someone will come up with a camera with less crap in it, does everybody here
use everything that they put into these modern marvels I don't, I'd go crazy if I did. I think
Nikon and Canon have a problem with Sony and Fuji with their mirrorless and they have to
play catch-up and add things the S&F don't have. We will have to see in the meantime I'll
use my Fuji.

Old 02-08-2019   #21
aizan

the shorter grip is a bummer.

Old 02-08-2019   #22
Range-rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
the shorter grip is a bummer.
Yep! still ugly!

Old 02-08-2019   #23
jsrockit

If this thing is $1400 new, they will sell well...

Old 02-08-2019   #24
ptpdprinter

Isn't this the equivalent of the Sony A7 at $798? The Sony A7ii at $998 has IBIS.

Old 02-08-2019   #25
CMur12

Lots of negativity here.

I'm not sure what the difference is between a good-looking camera and an ugly one anymore. This one looks all right to me, though I can't think of any new camera that is beautiful. The new Nikon Z-cameras are certainly ugly to my eyes, but that's the norm now.

- Murray

PS. I can't make the OP's link work.

Old 02-08-2019   #26
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Isn't this the equivalent of the Sony A7 at $798? The Sony A7ii at $998 has IBIS.
A7 might not have as high usable iso as RP.
Canon is using IS in the lenses.

Old 02-08-2019   #27
Range-rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
Lots of negativity here.

I'm not sure what the difference is between a good-looking camera and an ugly one anymore. This one looks all right to me, though I can't think of any new camera that is beautiful. The new Nikon Z-cameras are certainly ugly to my eyes, but that's the norm now.

- Murray

PS. I can't make the OP's link work.
I can agree with this, these new cameras kinda have that bloated look.

Old 02-08-2019   #28
Range-rover

Quote:
If this thing is $1400 new, they will sell well...
You're right John for this much money they should.

Old 02-08-2019   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
Have you ever used these Sonys? They are clunky...and feel like a TV remote... especially the A7. IBIS doesn`t work for all photography styles.

Old 02-08-2019   #30
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Have you ever used these Sonys? They are clunky...and feel like a TV remote... especially the A7. IBIS doesn`t work for all photography styles.
Yes, I've used the A7ii. It didn't feel like my TV remote. I didn't have any problem using the Sonys, but I prefer the haptics of my XT2. It handles more like my film cameras with the aperture ring on the lens and the shutter speed and ISO dials on the top plate. I mention the A7 because it has the same specs as the EOS RP, is five years old, and half the price. The EOS RP is not a revolution in features or price as it is being portrayed.

Old 02-09-2019   #31
jsrockit

It doesn’t need to be a revolution... there are a lot canon users in the world who will think that a a brand new canon mirrorless ff camera for $1400 is quite nice. Not everyone switches brands ever year. If everyone only wanted the cheapest camera, there wouldn’t be a so many choices in a camera store.

Old 02-09-2019   #32
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

With A7 my L lenses are going to somewhat works. Some of them.
With PR all of my L, EF lenses are going to work.

Old 02-09-2019   #33
Dogman

It doesn't look cobbled together from mis-matched parts like the Sonys and Sony's competition. In other words, it's the least ugly of an ugly crew. Fourteen hundred dollars introductory price ain't bad. The features seem reasonable without being ground breaking. It can take the current range of Canon EF lenses using an adapter. Really, this appears to me to be the first new full frame that's worth a second look. If I was interested in full frame, I would consider this one first.

Old 02-09-2019   #34
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

It will be a great bargain FF mirrorless camera in a few years, once the price goes down to Sony A7 levels for a new one.

Old 02-09-2019   #35
jarski

Will be interesting see what Canon do with apsc line. Sony seems determined to keep theirs alive, a6400 just being announced. Canons two mirrorless systems cannot share lenses like Sony.

Old 02-09-2019   #36
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
They at least need a regular style 50mm (F1.8 to F2) at a decent price for these cameras. A $1600 body with a $3000 50mm is not going to work too well for the budget conscious crowd. I'm not an adapter fan at all.
I agree, and a smaller “kit” zoom, like a reasonably sized 24-100/4 or something. It’s a hard sell to the masses when it’s not smaller or cheaper than the SLR it apparently replaces.
I can hear the salesperson now, “look how small and light this body is! It’s cheap too. Now you can choose this oversized 24-120/4 for an extra $1000, or the 50/1.4 for an extra $3000. The 50 is bigger and heavier too!”
A 35/2 and a 50/2 or thereabouts that are small and affordable will be an excellent addition (for Nikon too)

Old 02-09-2019   #37
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I agree, and a smaller “kit” zoom, like a reasonably sized 24-100/4 or something. It’s a hard sell to the masses when it’s not smaller or cheaper than the SLR it apparently replaces.
I can hear the salesperson now, “look how small and light this body is! It’s cheap too. Now you can choose this oversized 24-120/4 for an extra $1000, or the 50/1.4 for an extra $3000. The 50 is bigger and heavier too!”
A 35/2 and a 50/2 or thereabouts that are small and affordable will be an excellent addition (for Nikon too)
Canon is already offering a 35mm 1.8 with IS in native R (actually "RF") mount that I see selling for $499.00.

- Murray

Old 02-09-2019   #38
Contarama

These cameras (Canon and Nikon) are DOA already. Sony and Fuji are in charge of this market. Too little too late

Old 02-10-2019   #39
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
Canon is already offering a 35mm 1.8 with IS in native R (actually "RF") mount that I see selling for $499.00.

- Murray
That was fast! I didn’t know they were reading this thread!
Now if Nikon could catch up...

Old 02-10-2019   #40
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
These cameras (Canon and Nikon) are DOA already. Sony and Fuji are in charge of this market. Too little too late
Not where thier HQ are.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...o-one-in-japan