Using old TMAX developer
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
siracusa

Using old TMAX developer

Dear all,

I've a half full bottle of TMAX developer that was opened around early 2011 (somehow I ended up using other developers and never got round to using up the TMAX). The liquid in the bottle has yellowed somewhat, and I was wondering whether it should be okay to use.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
David

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
lawrence

Any yellowing normally means that the developer has lost some potency through oxidation which will result in under developed negatives. You could try processing a snippet of exposed film in it to see if you can get a decent black but my advice is not to use it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Throw it away. Developer is cheap; ruined photos aren't.

Tmax Developer has a long shelf life, many years, but ONLY if it is in a full bottle AND stored in the dark. Kodak used to sell it in gray bottles; it lasted a lot longer than it does in the clear bottles they use now. This is because the developer is degraded by exposure to light.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Majki

It will be fine.
Like every developer after 30 rolls, etc.
It's still working, different than fresh, but still fine.

DDX: 2 months old, open bottle, 28 rolls made before this one:

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majki View Post
It will be fine.
Like every developer after 30 rolls, etc.
It's still working, different than fresh, but still fine.

No, it will NOT be fine. The OP has developer that is EIGHT YEARS OLD. I've been using Tmax Developer for 25 years now, and I know what I'm talking about.

I stand by my previous advice: Throw that sh-t away and buy a new bottle. Your photos are worth more than the $20 or whatever a bottle of fresh developer costs. It amazes me the people on here who own thousands of dollars worth of cameras, drive $70,000 cars, and wear $8000 watches but insist on using old chemicals, outdated film, etc. to save money.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

It is bad idea to throw unused chemicals. And not really necessary.
I discovered old TMAX, half used bottle in my previous office.
It was in use years before. Worked fine.

Using old TMAX developer
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Majki

Using old TMAX developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
No, it will NOT be fine. The OP has developer that is EIGHT YEARS OLD. I've been using Tmax Developer for 25 years now, and I know what I'm talking about.

I stand by my previous advice: Throw that sh-t away and buy a new bottle. Your photos are worth more than the $20 or whatever a bottle of fresh developer costs. It amazes me the people on here who own thousands of dollars worth of cameras, drive $70,000 cars, and wear $8000 watches but insist on using old chemicals, outdated film, etc. to save money.

It's fine. And it's my opinion/ knowledge.
I am 33 years old, and less than 6 months in photography. (My zodiac sign: Pisces)
But do you ever used old one?
Or non because "no"?
I stand by my advice: use this "sh-t ")

Ps. Why are you talking about saving money?

Henri Cartier Bresson said:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Also check this parade:

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Majki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
It is bad idea to throw unused chemicals. And not really necessary.
I discovered old TMAX, half used bottle in my previous office.
It was in use years before. Worked fine.

Nooo way
<3

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by siracusa View Post
Dear all,

I've a half full bottle of TMAX developer that was opened around early 2011 (somehow I ended up using other developers and never got round to using up the TMAX). The liquid in the bottle has yellowed somewhat, and I was wondering whether it should be okay to use.

David
Depends somewhat on how good you are with Photoshop.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Corran

Quote:
I am 33 years old, and less than 6 months in photography. (My zodiac sign: Pisces)
LOL. Thanks for posting the photos! Personally, it looks like I would prefer to avoid the old used-up DDX. Not sure what your results with old DDX has to do with T-Max developer, as well.

I have an old gallon jug of T-Max dev I was given years ago, and it does work just fine despite being over 10 years old. But, I tested it first, and would absolutely agree that if you have important negatives, it's always better to use fresh developer if you want to be safe. I only use T-Max dev for a couple of films I don't use often.

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
But do you ever used old one?
Or non because "no"?
I stand by my advice: use this "sh-t ")

So, let me get this straight: Some beginner with 6 months of experience is going to tell a professional with 25 years of experience how things work?

It amazes me the ill-conceived, scientifically false advice that people with ZERO knowledge will give, and then defend to the death.

To the OP: You came here asking for advice because you want your photos to come out right. Right? If you didn't care about the quality of outcome, you'd have just used the ancient developer. The loudmouth that I responded to above has zero knowledge. Full stop. He admits to having a mere six months of experience. Your developer is EIGHT YEARS OLD. I have TWENTY FIVE years experience developing film using the very same developer you are using.

Tmax Developer will not last eight years in a half-full bottle. You may get images on your film, but they'll have little shadow detail, they'll be grainy, and the contrast will be low. Why bother?

The loudmouth above can give you the advice he did because IT ISN'T HIS FILM, so he doesn't have to care if you ruin it and lose your photos. I care because I'm a teacher who still believes in the quaint idea that I have an ethical obligation to be honest. I know that in the postmodern, post-truth era, that is an outdated philosophy, but I am sticking with it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Majki

Quote:
Originally Posted by siracusa View Post
Dear all,

David

It will be okey to use it.

Greetings!

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
newsgrunt

best way is to take a test roll and soup that. wouldn't hurt to d a second test but that should you give some indication of developer activity.

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Majki

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
best way is to take a test roll and soup that. wouldn't hurt to d a second test but that should you give some indication of developer activity.

And you don't need 25 years of experience to do this!
It's not a rocket science. It's chemistry. Level... Beginner

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
It will be okey to use it.

Greetings!

What in your six months of experience has told you that eight year old developer in a half-empty bottle will be good?

People like you damage the community we have built here. A community based on knowledge, honesty, trust, and a desire to help others. Go troll somewhere else.

Using old TMAX developer
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
maigo

Using old TMAX developer

I think we should all show respect for experience and knowledge from our photo-elders and come-befores.
The desired outcome will change from generation to generation as it did for the elders and their predecessors.

If I have learned anything here on RFF it is: Try it yourself and if you like it then it is good and you are done. Otherwise, seek advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using old TMAX developer
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Majki

Using old TMAX developer

Quote:
What in your six months of experience has told you that eight year old developer in a half-empty bottle will be good?

People like you damage the community we have built here. A community based on knowledge, honesty, trust, and a desire to help others. Go troll somewhere else.

Sorry Chris i don't have time to deal with your ego (ego, not community), but of course it's funny to read your reaction "25 years of experience" is my favorite case

my six months of experience, told me that you can use old developer. Even if it's tmax in a half-full bottle.

Tips and tricks: test roll

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Corran

Quote:
Sorry Chris i don't have time to deal with your ego (ego, not community), but of course it's funny to read your reaction "25 years of experience" is my favorite case

my six months of experience, told me that you can use old developer. Even if it's tmax in a half-full bottle.

You're right. Everyone should question and confirm things themselves. Common "wisdom" is sometimes not relevant or even wrong.

However, this includes questioning the source and their experience. Luckily for the OP, you've posted some photos that help illustrate your point. Rather anemic contrast and overly grainy images may not be his cup of tea, and if so he would do well to ignore your suggestions.

One should always test on their own, and verify. It's also good to note common indicators, like yellowing of the developer as mentioned above. For some reason, my T-Max developer hasn't yellowed in years, so maybe I'm just lucky. If I poured some out and it was yellow, I would throw it away. I got burned by XTOL before and if I had known back then that yellowing indicated dead developer, I would've been better off.

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:

Your experience is using a different developer that is only two months old. Completely irrelevant to the OPs situation.

Experience matters. I have used the OPs developer and it will not work. Don't like my 'ego'? Then LEAVE.

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Majki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
You're right. Everyone should question and confirm things themselves. Common "wisdom" is sometimes not relevant or even wrong.

However, this includes questioning the source and their experience. Luckily for the OP, you've posted some photos that help illustrate your point. Rather anemic contrast and overly grainy images may not be his cup of tea, and if so he would do well to ignore your suggestions.

One should always test on their own, and verify. It's also good to note common indicators, like yellowing of the developer as mentioned above. For some reason, my T-Max developer hasn't yellowed in years, so maybe I'm just lucky. If I poured some out and it was yellow, I would throw it away. I got burned by XTOL before and if I had known back then that yellowing indicated dead developer, I would've been better off.

100% Agree.

Take care!

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Majki

Quote:
Your experience is using a different developer that is only two months old. Completely irrelevant to the OPs situation.

Experience matters. I have used the OPs developer and it will not work. Don't like my 'ego'? Then LEAVE.

Leave... What?
This theme? Group? Forum? Planet?

My (3rd) opinon on using okd developer
Old 1 Week Ago   #22
randy stewart

My (3rd) opinon on using okd developer

My opinion re using years old TMax develop stored in an open, half used bottle: Chris Crawford is correct in every respect; Majki is nuts. My experience in B&W developers: Started DTY B&W film development in 1958. I've used at some time almost every B&W developer ever sold. For the last 30 years, I've compounded by own, unique developers. I own and use the lab equipment required to parse this debate in scientific terms. This is chemistry folks. That's not an expression of opinion. Go ahead and develop your film in your old crap. Likely you will get nothing; less likely you will get weak (thin) negatives which are so low in quality that they are unprintable by any standard of quality. Good god, if you cannot afford fresh developer more often than once every 8 years (or even 8 months), then you need to move on to a hobby you can afford. And, why would you listen to the advice of someone with 6 months of "experience", and probably none concerning your inquiry, just because he repeats himself half a dozen times. One added advice: when you buy new developer, buy something other than TMax. In terms of the image quality produced, TMax has to be one of the poorest out there for general use, unless you like like large, mushy grain. Try Ilford Ilfosol 3. If you have long term storage problems, break the stock developer into 150cc plastic bottles and freeze them until needed.

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
Doug

Gentlemen, please stick with the issues and facts and avoid personal criticisms.

Old 1 Week Ago   #24
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy stewart View Post
If you have long term storage problems, break the stock developer into 150cc plastic bottles and freeze them until needed.
I'd had this idea but was reluctant to try it in case chemicals came out of solution when frozen, creating problems when thawed for use. Can you clarify your experience with freezing - have you found it works for some developers only or for all solutions you've tried? Do you have any tips?

I've been caught out by XTOL going off after 6 months (stupidly I left a bottle of stock partly empty), and was wondering if this could be frozen. I also have an unopened bottle of TMAX that's 6 months old, stored in the dark, so I'm assuming it will be quite OK but once opened it would be convenient if it could be frozen in useful batch volumes - although excluding air from glass bottles is probably easier.
Flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #25
leicapixie

I have a 50% solution to problem of old, 8 years opened, 1/2 full bottle.
Cut a piece of film off and develop as reqd.
If it's good (luck be a Lady) it's OK.
If NOT. Well only a few frames lost..
Personally have developer disposed safely..

Last edited by leicapixie : 1 Week Ago at 01:56. Reason: spell error

Old 1 Week Ago   #26
Majki

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
I have a 50% solution to problem of old, 8 years opened, 1/2 full bottle.
Cut a piece of film off and develop as reqd.
If it's good (luck be a Lady) it's OK.
If NOT. Well only a few frames lost..
Personally have developer disposed safely..

Probably it's too easy

Old 1 Week Ago   #27
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
Film isn't cheap these days. Does it really pay to sacrifice a roll of good film to see if outdated developer is any good? Or is it better to put the price of a test roll toward a fresh bottle of developer?

And if an old outdated roll is used for the test, and the negative comes out too thin, was it the developer or the film that was too old?

Old 1 Week Ago   #28
leicapixie

My solution cheap!
I once found a Rodial developer (ORIGINAL) that did work perfectly.
It was years old! Basically flakes and some liquid, enough for a roll at !:100.
T-Max is not the same.
The cost of film, the time to expose and make exposures all hanging on developer..
Value your own time better.

Last edited by leicapixie : 1 Week Ago at 06:57. Reason: left out a few lines..

Old 1 Week Ago   #29
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Probably it's too easy
It looks like here it is in the opposite.
Reading what others have posted with exactly the same experience as in OP is hard to accept for some here who are posting without same experience, but broad assumptions and sitting on the high horse.

Old 1 Week Ago   #30
Karlovak

Loud and rowdy, the stereotypes are asserting themselves.

Things are simple, until they aren't quite so anymore.