Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Topcor-S 2/50mm
Old 05-23-2016   #1
SyPat

Topcor-S 2/50mm

Im' curious about the Topcor-S 2/50mm. It's a typical Gauss design, but how does it compare (contrast, flare, sharpness, corners) with the other f/2 LTM lenses of the late 50's, Summicron (first version), Nikkor 2/50, Canon 1.8/50 ?

Old 05-23-2016   #2
charjohncarter

I have an f2 50mm Topcon lens which I have used for many years. I will check if it is the same one you are talking about. But if it is the same or similar it is fine, e.i. nobody will know it isn't a Leica.

Old 05-23-2016   #3
David Murphy

I've owned and used the black version in LTM. It is an amazing lens - probably comparable to a Summicron. Very crisp images, with good contrast. They are not cheap however - probably about $400 or more for a good one these days. They are occasionally available on eBay. I have a review of this lens on my Wordpress blog, with some sample shots.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 05-23-2016   #4
Larry Cloetta

Here are a couple of earlier threads which touch on this lens obliquely, but have a fair amount of information about the Topcor-S 50.

The photos speak for themselves. Not only optically excellent, but very well built and smooth to operate as well. Lighter than the chrome Canon 1.8, which is excellent, and no tendency to chronically build up oily haze like the later black Canon 1.8s do. As someone else noted, no one is likely to know from the photos they were not taken with one of the nicer Summicrons. Does very well with color also, so no need to confine yourself to B&W.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ht=Topcor-S+50

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ht=Topcor-S+50

Old 05-23-2016   #5
kuuan
loves old lenses

mine looks like this:

Topcor-S f2 5cm
by andreas, on Flickr

As I don't have experience with either I can't say how it compares to Summicron and Nikkor 2/50, and I have been battling with the Canon because each of various copies had some degree of milky glass.

But I can say that I like the Topcor a lot. I love its handling, yes a strong word, but of over 100 manual lenses I like how its aperture ring feels best, and its focus ring is very, very smooth and damped as well.

I only have used it on digital cameras, above all Sony A7 and Ricoh GXR M. As to expect from a lens of such vintage it flares and looses contrast if used against light. It's plenty sharp for me, I like its colors though I think that it is very good for B&W. I have not made any tests and don't know what else I could say but link the folder with the photos that I have taken with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/...57644078970601

two samples, both wide open on Sony A7:

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

Old 05-23-2016   #6
Tony Whitney

I had one of those in the 70s and used it on my Leica IIIa. It was so much easier to use than the old 50 mm Elmar with its fiddly aperture settings. I liked the way it looked too and it was a fine lens with regard to performance. Sadly, I must have traded it in for something later on. It was a great lens and when I mention it today to Leica enthusiasts, they usually don't know what I'm talking about. I can't believe what they cost today. I think I paid less than $20 for mine back in the day...TW

Old 05-24-2016   #7
Peter Jennings

I had one like kuuan shows for a while. The lens construction was solid. The focus throw seemed very short to me. As far as images were concerned, I couldn't distinguish much that would differentiate it from other lenses of the time. It was sharp. I preferred the LTM Nikkor-H.C which I already had for its close-focus ability, so I let the Topcor-S go.

Old 06-20-2016   #8
Lightshow

I have an all silver(1st version) Topcor-S 50/2, interestingly, its body is identical to my Canon 50/1.8.
I also have the Topcor 3.5cm and just bought the 9cm, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
Chiyoko Super Rokkor 50/2, 50/1.8, 85/2.8
Fujinon L 50/2
Topcor 3.5cm/2.8
Topcor-S 50/2
Topcor 9cm/3.5
Industar 69(modded to LTM registration)
40/2.3 transplanted from a dead Rollei XF 35 into an Industar 50 M39 SLR lens, its now LTM.

Leica M:
CV15III
Elmarit 24 Aspherical, Elmarit 28 v2, Tele-Elmarit 90(Fat), Cron 90 APO Asph.
FrankenZeiss: Contax G 45/2 transplanted into a Rokkor MC 55/1.7 body with an M mount.

SLR:
Lots....

Old 06-21-2016   #9
furcafe

I have the chrome & black versions of the 5cm/2 Topcor-S & they're hard to distinguish from the other Japanese double-Gauss LTM lenses of that era, Canon 50/1.8 (I had the chrome, post-Serenar version & still have the black), Yashica 5cm/1.8 Yashinon, Chiyoko 5cm/2 Super Rokkor, etc. Not in a bad way, they're all good; in my experience they're all a bit more contrasty than contemporaneous 5cm Summicrons I've used (collapsible, rigid, dual range), but have a little less resolution. The 5cm/2 Nikkor-H is a Sonnar, so visibly distinctive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyPat View Post
Im' curious about the Topcor-S 2/50mm. It's a typical Gauss design, but how does it compare (contrast, flare, sharpness, corners) with the other f/2 LTM lenses of the late 50's, Summicron (first version), Nikkor 2/50, Canon 1.8/50 ?
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 06-21-2016   #10
hilltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightshow View Post
I have an all silver(1st version) Topcor-S 50/2, interestingly, its body is identical to my Canon 50/1.8.
I also have the Topcor 3.5cm and just bought the 9cm, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Where ever did you find the 9cm/3.5 Topcor? I've been looking for one of those for ten years! I also have the 3.5cm, 5cm/f2 (Black) and 13.5cm/4.

Never have seen a 9cm for sale!

Thanks, Gary

Old 07-30-2016   #11
ACullen

I've had a Topcor S 50mm f2 (1st chrome version) for the past 6 months. It came with a Leotax F. Its the only 50mm RF lens I've tried, so I can't make comparisons. It's a little lacking in contrast and soft at the edges wide open. It seems excellent across the field at f2.8. It's superbly made and feels very hefty. 1/3 aperture click stops and super smooth focus. I could do without the infinity lock but otherwise I'm delighted with it. Mainly FP4 plus a handful of Agfa and Rollei E6 process films .

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Larry Cloetta

Swing Time Topcor-S 5cm f2 Leica iiib