Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

C/V meter II
Old 05-02-2005   #1
FrankS

C/V meter II

While I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of my clip on meter form Gandy, I'd like to explain to you why I think it's even better than a built-in meter for stealthy metering during people photography: With a built-in meter inorder to take a reading you have to put the camera up to your eye. When taking candid people pics, holding the cam to your eye while fiddling with aperture and shutter speed, draws attention to yourself and your intent. If you are lucky, there is an alternate scene in another direction to take a substitute reading of. With the external exposure indicator of the C/V meter II, you can take a meter reading of the actual schene and adjust the camera for exposure, all without holding the camera to your eye. If people see you, all they see is you fiddling with your camera at waist or chest level, in an non-aggressive way. The meter readout of the Bessa L would be perfect in this regard, because the settings do not need to be transfered to the camera.

(I just like to conceptualize a new photo gear purchase while I'm waiting for it.) Any thoughts on this from others?

photography makes me happy

Old 05-02-2005   #2
back alley
IMAGES

i agree totally.
it's a great reason, on the street, to use a hand held.

but i don't like the look of an external on the camera.
my pilot 2 is tiny and has a foot attached for fitting on to the shoe but it's ugly (2 me).
i prefer to take my readings and put the meter away.

joe

Old 05-02-2005   #3
ray_g

I agree. I carry a tiny Gossen Digisix in my pocket and either get an incident reading or point it in the direction of the subject (or a "gray" area) and press the button for a reflected reading. I usually keep the 35 or 40 at the hyperfocal distance, so taking the photo is just a matter of composing the shot.

I also find that it bothers me when the in-camera meter is not spot on when I take the shot. The method you describe frees me from that.

Old 05-02-2005   #4
MCTuomey

Yes, I agree. The less time the camera is at eye level, the less your subject will tend to presume he or she has been photographed ... but not always. There are situations where any camera creates animosity, no matter where it's positioned.

My Flickr

Old 05-02-2005   #5
ray_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey
There are situations where any camera creates animosity, no matter where it's positioned.
That's why sometimes I like to shoot with a digicam. I just pretend to be "chimping" but am actually taking the shot. Helps if you have a swiveling screen and shoot from the waist.

Old 05-02-2005   #6
thmk

I also use the VC Meter II separately even despite the fact that I bought it to be used on top of my meterless cameras. For me it is really more convenient to use it like a normal meter.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

Old 05-02-2005   #7
RML

I agree, Frank. I've finally come to terms with my M2 since I found out I had a Leica MC meter already (my father's actually, but he had given it to me as he never uses it). The meter is still pretty acurate and being able to just aim about and set aperture and shutter speed without having to raise the camera to eye level is a great way of getting away with a shot. My M2 with J12 35/2.8 is rapidly becoming a favourite of mine though soon an R-D1 could be on the way.

Old 05-02-2005   #8
RML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_g
That's why sometimes I like to shoot with a digicam. I just pretend to be "chimping" but am actually taking the shot. Helps if you have a swiveling screen and shoot from the waist.
This is also a great way of shooting children at a party or such. Last week my little girl had a Spring festival at school and a pro photog (at least that's how he was announced) was taking pictures. He used some digital camera with a swivel screen which made it possible for him to look to other way and still catch those children in the act. Had he been looking at them, they might have been disturbed in their play. When I get my R-D1 I'm gonna try that technique myself. It might be something I could use in my ongoing Mongolia projects.