Old 07-12-2018   #41
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Its made in Germany. I read that the movement was made by a small German company, so its not an ETA-based watch like most Swiss ones are. Still, the price is just silly. If I had that much money to spend for a watch, I'd buy a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling. At least those brands are well known by everyone; and showing off your wealth is the reason to buy a $10,00 watch, isn't it? Waste of money if no one recognizes it was expensive!
But they wont go well with you Leica special edition

Old 07-12-2018   #42
NickTrop

Quote:
Still, the price is just silly. If I had that much money to spend for a watch, I'd buy a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling. At least those brands are well known by everyone; and showing off your wealth is the reason to buy a $10,00 watch, isn't it? Waste of money if no one recognizes it was expensive!
Well, one of the other reasons that people will spend that much on a watch is resale value. If a watch is properly serviced* it often can fetch a used price at/near or even greater than its initial price. This makes ownership in the luxury watch club virtually free after initial investment. Not sure a limited edition Leica watch will hold its resale value. Maybe. Maybe not.

Not that I am -- or ever will be, in the luxury watch club. Quite satisfied with the few Japanese automatics I own. Well made, look fine, decent build-qualitty, reasonably accurate time, cheap by automatic watch standards.

*(and one reason I'll stick with a $100-200 Seiko automatic. If/when it dies, not on the hook for $$$ servicing. When a Seiko in this price range dies -- and they have lasted me a long time, throw it out. Buy a new one. I've known a few neophite watch aficionados who get sticker shock at servicing costs for that Omega they treated themselves to 6-7 years ago. Would rather wear it despite losing a a few minutes a day than pay to have it serviced...)

Old 07-12-2018   #43
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Dears,

A darling friend of my husband's is a retired rescue pilot. He does not own a wristwatch. But you are a pilot! He says there were no less than 5 timepieces in the machine. But away from that? My cellphone, he says. There are clocks everywhere. If there are no clocks and one does not have to have one's phone at hand, then there is no need for more than sunrise and sunset.

Ciao,
Mme. Oscuro

Old 07-12-2018   #44
citizen99

^ Mmm, yes. I have an early-60s Longines Conquest Automatic that was my 21st birthday prezzie. Due for a service, again, it resides in its box. For daily use it's a Sekonda automatic given to me for my 70th by one of my boys .

Old 07-12-2018   #45
Emile de Leon

Crap watch...
Just try to get it serviced..
Buy a Rolex..
Fashion Leica watch will take a 50%+ dive on the used market ..and you probably wont be able to sell it..as no one would waste their money..
Watches are not investments..they all take a dive the min you leave the store....the only watches that can even be remotely called investments are Rolex and Patek..but they are a hard resell too unless you have the right hard to get model..and the right buyer..
This watch is too big as well...should have been made smaller..
But those who want to burn thru some dough..buy it..
Who knows..maybe it will sell out..lol..

Old 07-12-2018   #46
NickTrop

Yeah -- there's no logical reason to wear a watch, especially a mechanical one. That said, I'd just as soon as a quasi-gentleman, go out in public without wearing pants than not wearing a watch. And despite keeping relatively crappy time, I prefer an automatic. Though today I'm wearing a Citizen "atomic-time" eco-drive that picks up a low frequency signal all the way from the West coast (I'm on the East coast) late at night with day/date/time info. Accurate to the second. Never has to be set (even leap years) or serviced...

... and the battery is the sun. And if that battery runs down in my lifetime, I have bigger worries than my watch not working. (The sun! It's, it's fading. Getting colder! Much colder! Darn -- now my Ecodrive watch won't charge!)

Old 07-12-2018   #47
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Trouble is, it's an automatic watch and you have to wear them all the time or else they run down and stop and then starting them up again means fiddling with the winder and they break... Well, two or three of mine have over the years.

Regards, David

Old 07-12-2018   #48
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Its made in Germany. I read that the movement was made by a small German company, so its not an ETA-based watch like most Swiss ones are. Still, the price is just silly. If I had that much money to spend for a watch, I'd buy a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling. At least those brands are well known by everyone; and showing off your wealth is the reason to buy a $10,00 watch, isn't it? Waste of money if no one recognizes it was expensive!
Yes, I am with you Chris. I will probably never own an example, but for me, the Omega Speedmaster will always be the one. It was worn on the Sea of Tranquility in 1969—nothing can ever surpass that place in history.

Old 07-12-2018   #49
Steve M.

I love mechanical watches, but not the one above. In the US, many years ago we had some really beautifully designed watched from Elgin, Lord Elgin, Hamilton, Waltham, etc. I had a Hamilton that was so minimally designed you would have thought it was from Tiffany's. It was a real blast to hold it up to your ear and listen to it's ticking. Winding it up every morning was a pleasurable ritual. Then one day I dropped it while winding it, and that was that. Bought an electric Acura on eBay for $4 and have had it over 6 years now. It just keeps on going. Not as stylish, but hey, $4.

Old 07-12-2018   #50
kshapero
Photog

First of all if supply is limited, then the Leica watches will be collector's items. So there. More power to them to succeed or fail. No bearing on me as I do not live in that world. Besides I have a real Leica lover's watch; an off brand Bronze cased watch that gives off PATINA with use, like a good black paint Leica.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-12-2018   #51
Emile de Leon

I bought this one 2 years ago..for my 60th as a lark..after 30+ years of no watch..
Runs 1 to 2 sec a day..like a top..will outlive all of us..
Tough as nails..
imo..doesn't get better than this for an everyday wearer..
Service it 1x every 10 years or so..5 year warrantee..

Old 07-12-2018   #52
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Since *Everyone [Has] Been Mispronouncing "Leica" All These Years*, I guess it's made in wicked China.
Not so incidentally, the wicked Germans *write* China like decent people on this planet do, but they *pronounce* it, wait: *Keener*.
Isn't that proof of their wickedness enough??

Old 07-12-2018   #53
Bill Clark

My thoughts, a little late to the party.

I never wear a watch anymore.

My iPhone works as a watch and a myriad of other things.

Just a status symbol like so many others people can buy.

Tic-Toc.

Old 07-12-2018   #54
css9450

Wise move on their part using the text "LEICA" instead of the red dot logo. Can you imagine all the Leica watch-wearing people with a little piece of black tape over the logo?

Old 07-12-2018   #55
Yokosuka_Mike
Expat at large

My next watch is going to be the Orient Star (Epson) RK-AW0003S

Cost is about 72,500 yen here in Japan. Should be available at the Yodobashi Camera display counter on July 23rd.

Mike

Old 07-12-2018   #56
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

What is interesting is how nothing new, already posted topic is getting second movement
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=165395
I'll contribute here.
Polaroid people are getting Land model tattoos, I have seen one.
Leica fe****ist will get this watch with torsend vand trouser watch wrist made from skin of poached animal.
Both groups are nothing but fetishist, except Leica knows how to milk thier muttons.
Time is money indeed

Old 07-12-2018   #57
skopar steve

Apparently not the first foray into "Fine" watches for Leica. The new one is a steal compared to this one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielad.../#6620131d425b

Old 07-12-2018   #58
jkcampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Wise move on their part using the text "LEICA" instead of the red dot logo. Can you imagine all the Leica watch-wearing people with a little piece of black tape over the logo?
Now that's funny!

Old 07-12-2018   #59
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
My next watch is going to be the Orient Star (Epson) RK-AW0003S
Now here's a man who knows from watches. That's a nice one. Love Orients!

Have one -- a cheapie. $75 I think I paid (discontinued model, major discount, etc.). Metal silver bracelet, magnifier over date, silver dial (and a not really useful manually set calendar thingie around the bezel). I think of it as a poor man's Datejust.

Old 07-12-2018   #60
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
What is interesting is how nothing new, already posted topic is getting second movement
Figured someone already posted about this... Oh well.

Old 07-12-2018   #61
jkcampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

Trouble is, it's an automatic watch and you have to wear them all the time or else they run down and stop and then starting them up again means fiddling with the winder and they break... Well, two or three of mine have over the years.

Regards, David
You have to wind it? That's outrageous! I once had a Leica camera and to take a picture you had to wind it too. Not just once but every time you took a photo. I heard rumors that there were some models called "double strokes" that you had to wind twice for every frame! Who would put up with such nonsense.

Sorry David, just poking fun. Seriously, if you're into high priced mechanical luxury watches you probably store them in a winder case that keeps them wound when you are not wearing it. At the very least winding and setting your watch when you switch out your Rolex for your Omega, is more than likely a dance than a chore.

I completely understand the head scratching over high priced watches. It's pretty hard to justify. I've had my Rolex for over 40 years and it's become a part of my everyday life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just like I wouldn't trade my Leica M10 for a more feature rich and less expensive camera. Sometimes we all just succumb to our addictions.

Only time will tell if a Leica will make it in the stratosphere of luxury watches.

Cheers, jc

Old 07-12-2018   #62
MCTuomey

Nice looking watch - elegant, simple yet strong lines, understated. I like the Orient Star shared above too, softer lines, less assertive than the Leica.

I was told recently that it's a mark of status to forego carrying a mobile phone and simply wear a high-end wristwatch.

My Flickr

Old 07-12-2018   #63
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I suppose bicycles should be next in the "cheap X is better than expensive Y" threads?

Old 07-12-2018   #64
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
I was told recently that it's a mark of status to forego carrying a mobile phone and simply wear a high-end wristwatch.
People say the darnedest things. Fortunately, you can choose which ones to believe, which ones to disbelieve, and which ones simply to ignore.

Old 07-12-2018   #65
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcampbell View Post

Sorry David, just poking fun. Seriously, if you're into high priced mechanical luxury watches you probably store them in a winder case that keeps them wound when you are not wearing it. At the very least winding and setting your watch when you switch out your Rolex for your Omega, is more than likely a dance than a chore....

Cheers, jc

Interesting, thanks; I'd not heard of them but as I use a boring, ordinary watch or two these days I've not looked at solutions to the problem recently. That's "recently" relative to the 50 or 60 years since I started with a serious watch.

Regards, David

Old 07-12-2018   #66
Paul T.

My Heuer Carrera cost the price of an M6 when I got it and is worth two or three of them now. And I use it every single day, unlike my Leica.

It's great they make the movement themselves. A company making something of quality and actually producing it somewhere other than a Chinese sweatshop is to be applauded, even if it's way out of my reach.

Old 07-12-2018   #67
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
A darling friend of my husband's is a retired rescue pilot. He does not own a wristwatch. But you are a pilot! He says there were no less than 5 timepieces in the machine. But away from that? My cellphone, he says. There are clocks everywhere. If there are no clocks and one does not have to have one's phone at hand, then there is no need for more than sunrise and sunset.
Yes, exactly, your friend is absolutely right. I stopped wearing a watch a very long time ago.

Old 07-12-2018   #68
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
Nice looking watch - elegant, simple yet strong lines, understated. I like the Orient Star shared above too, softer lines, less assertive than the Leica.

What about guys like me who don't own a smartphone but wear relatively cheap watches? I have a Seiko quartz chronograph my dad bought me as a high school graduation gift 24 years ago. It cost him $400 back then.

Old 07-13-2018   #69
David Hughes
David Hughes

Another problem is that these watches (well, all of them) need servicing from time to time. Do it by the book and so on and the initial price doesn't really matter.

OTOH, few people bother to get things serviced by the book or, worst of all, think they can do it themselves...

Regards, David

Old 07-13-2018   #70
Roger Hicks

Still wearing the Omega Seamaster 30 that my father bought me for my 18th birthday 50 years ago. He bought it in the PX in Bermuda: in those days, it was just $28. A strap costs more than that now!

Yes, it's had a few services and one new mainspring. Needs another service/ repair now: the winder is getting a bit stiff. I find it much easier to glance at my wrist than to carry a large, flat electronic device out of my pocket and pull it out if I want to know the time.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-13-2018   #71
mcfingon
Western Australia

You have a point about pulling electronic devices out of your pocket Roger. I did that on the train to Athens airport recently and someone noticed that and subsequently "liberated" it out of my pocket without me being aware of it. It was an iPhone that cost me $1200 to replace in Australia, so it would have been cheaper to wear an inexpensive wristwatch.

Old 07-13-2018   #72
grouchos_tash

+1 on the Seiko 5, I've have a couple that I wore for years but now I wear a Fitbit Charge 2 and I'm surprised how much I've taken going from mechanical to digital

If I was going to buy an 'expensive' watch I would go with a Nomos

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 07-13-2018   #73
besk

I don't have my watches serviced when they break. I just purchase a new one. Timex digital watches are about $15.00 US at "big box" stores. I do save from the trash my black Nylon band though.

Old 07-13-2018   #74
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The closest I am to owning a watch is the cool looking dial on my Epson RD1 ... that was supplied by Seiko I heard recently?

Hadn't realised that!

Old 07-13-2018   #75
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Still wearing the Omega Seamaster 30 that my father bought me for my 18th birthday 50 years ago. He bought it in the PX in Bermuda: in those days, it was just $28. A strap costs more than that now!

Yes, it's had a few services and one new mainspring. Needs another service/ repair now: the winder is getting a bit stiff. I find it much easier to glance at my wrist than to carry a large, flat electronic device out of my pocket and pull it out if I want to know the time.

Cheers,

R.
A classic! Nice, nice --especially a vintage one. THAT is the father-son tradition. Are fathers today going to pass down "cell phones" from generation to generation? I wanted to get my son who's turning 21 in a couple months a nice watch. He has zero interest. Doesn't even understand why people still wear them.

Old 07-13-2018   #76
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

Cheers,

R.
Nice. I have a Tag Heuer 2000, given to me as a 21st birthday present. 27 years later it's still going strong.

I may have to replace it in my next life.

Old 07-13-2018   #77
Lss

Like the design, can't afford the watch.

Old 07-13-2018   #78
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
. . . I wanted to get my son who's turning 21 in a couple months a nice watch. He has zero interest. Doesn't even understand why people still wear them.
Dear Nick,

Oh, dear. That's sad. Never mind. He's got a father who loves him enough to want to do it, anyway.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-13-2018   #79
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Nice. I have a Tag Heuer 2000, given to me as a 21st birthday present. 27 years later it's still going strong.

I may have to replace it in my next life.
It's a bugger getting it from one incarnation to the next, though.

Much easier for incarnate lamas. Incidentally, HH Dalai Lama repairs watches as a hobby. Or at least he used to repair them -- haven't talked to him in decades (I wrote a biography of him in the early 1980s).

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-13-2018   #80
raid
Dad Photographer

Does it come along with a Leica M10+lens? Maybe this is the deal?
There used to be a Leica lens (was it the 800mm/6.3?) for over $ 30,000, but it came with a (new) VW Fox!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/