M6vs. F3 or left vs. right
Old 01-08-2020   #1
JohnBeeching

M6vs. F3 or left vs. right

First a bit of history. For many years I used Pentax SLRs, Spotmatic II and then LX, and liked them very much as they were compact and did the job. However, I am left-eye dominant and found it frustrating to have to take the camera away from my eye to advance the film. Just over 20 years ago I bought a Leica M6, which solved that problem. It was also much quieter, I could see outside the frame and, once I got used to the rangefinder, focussed very accurately. My favourite lenses were the 35 and 50mm ‘crons, the former I used extensively for my street photography. However, my left eye decided to weep; so, increasingly I had to wipe it and the view finder. Therefore, after many years of photography I decided to force myself to use my right eye. It took a long time of pain and frustration but eventually I succeeded in using both eyes equally well; in fact, now when I pick up a camera I tend to bring it to my right eye without thinking.

Being no longer limited to using my left eye I started toying with the idea of getting a classic SLR again and eventually decided on a Nikon F3. I got one (HP prism) in very good condition together with a 50mm f1.4 AI-S lens. I was relieved to discover that, like the M6, it accepted Tri-X and I did not have to use it with that ghastly modern colour film! After having put several films through the F3 I feel that I am in a position to make some comparative comments on the two cameras. The F3 is built like a tank and weighs like one, moreover the shutter and mirror make their presence known. Certainly, not a discreet camera like the M6 and perhaps best wielded in a war zone than in a concert hall. The lenses focus in opposite directions and with practice I will probably get used to this. I find it easier to focus the M6 accurately more quickly on non-moving subjects than the F3, but again that may be more a matter of experience.

Should I keep the F3 or get rid of it? In fact, should I sell of both it and the M3, and fully embrace the glorious digital future – I do use and like my X-Pro2 – and confine Tri-X to the dustbin of history? Perhaps not yet, as long as my 35mm film scanner continues to work, I will put that question off until next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3516.JPG (154.7 KB, 24 views)

Old 01-08-2020   #2
skopar steve

No need to get rid of any of them. You have rangefinder, SLR and digital covered. Maybe it's time to start lusting for a medium format system.

Old 01-08-2020   #3
Huss

Sell the M6 and F3, keep the M3.

Old 01-08-2020   #4
rangefinderlove123

The fe/fm nikons are much lighter compared to the f3

Old 01-08-2020   #5
presspass
filmshooter

if you are concerned about moving the camera to wind film, get a Rapidwinder or a Leicavit for the M6 and an MD4 motor drive for the F3. The MD4 will also power the camera, so no need to work about the button cells wearing out. The only thing that will wear out with the F3/MD4 combo is you.

Old 01-08-2020   #6
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Keep a M-body for use with the 35 primarily. You also have a 50 to have a two lens M-body kit.

Also another option is just keep the M3 and M6 and have a two fully rigged camera kit. Of course use the M3 for the 50 and the M6 for the 35.

I happen to own/shoot a F3P, and I rig my Wetzlar M6 with a TA Rapidwinder and TA Rapidgrip so that it strongly resembles my F3P. Know that I use a MD4 motordrive on the F3P.

I don't mind a heavy camera, but then again I only know of one friend who walks around carrying a Linhof in NYC. Pretty much I say with every Linhof sold comes a free gym membership. LOL. Alo know that sniper rifles are heavy for good reason.

Anyways here are three thoughts. Hope it helps. Nothing wrong with keeping all three cameras and having three options if you can afford it.

Cal

Old 01-08-2020   #7
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Sell the M6 and F3, keep the M3.

I think his mention of M3 is a typo; at any rate he should sell the M6 (and M3 if there is one) and get a smaller Nikon to keep the F3 company.

Old 01-08-2020   #8
benlees

I would sell both film cameras and just use the X-pro 2. Heavy and loud I can tolerate for medium format but for 35mm; no way. Cash in on the M6.

If you must have a 35mm then you already have the answer: the LX (or even better the MX. Smaller, lighter, just as capable).

If I had deep pockets I would sell the X-pro 2 as well and get the X-pro 3. That's just me, but you asked...

Old 01-08-2020   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I went with F2 and FTn. They have no comparison with Leica. F3 just has more electronics to fail, I guess, this is how modern tanks are build... I opted out F3 as camera depending on old electronics.

Here is no discreet camera visually, but quiet shutters.

I'm using Vivitar F mount lenses where focus rotates as it should, not nikkorazy way.

Focus is much easier with RF (for me) and here is nothing could be done with SLR to mach it.

Sell or keep? I have totally working FTn for nothing and 20, 28 mm lenses were cheap, but just good. Two hundred dollars aren't going to make difference if I sell it all. And I'm not going to bother with 50mm F lens. Enough of them for RF and EOS.
I might sell F2, just to get rid off it. But it is cheap camera as well in terms of $.

I'm looking for film M alternative because it is very expensive and not so convenient to have film M serviced or repaired.
First I have tried FSU RF. They are fine in use, but total junk in repair.
I like Nikon with UWA and WA for street photogaphy as feel good and cheap
The only downsize is weight. Over one kilo with lens attached.
My next thing to try are MiJ LTMs. Here is one person in USA servicing and selling them, but I want to try his "service manual for LTM cameras by amateurs" book.
I have Canon earlier LTM and waiting for Leotax.
Canon LTM is nowhere near to Leica for size and VF/RF, but it is so much better for service comparing to FSU.
If I could change curtains on Canon LTM and it will works, I might sell M4-2 as camera which I would never able to change curtains in.

Even if I sell everything and get like new film M instead of changing M-E to more advanced digital M, who is going to service it after five years from now? It doesn't look promising at the current state... This is why I'm looking for DIY serviceable film camera, preferably RF.

Old 01-08-2020   #10
JohnBeeching

Thanks for the comments. I wondered where an M3 had come from - yes it is a typo.

Old 01-08-2020   #11
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeeching View Post
Thanks for the comments. I wondered where an M3 had come from - yes it is a typo.
John,

Just to confuse you: Just keep the M6 and use the 35. LOL.

Cal

Old 01-08-2020   #12
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeeching View Post
Typo? Or a sign from the rangefinder gods?

Old 01-08-2020   #13
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Typo? Or a sign from the rangefinder gods?

Its called wearing "Leica Goggles".

Old 01-08-2020   #14
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

It's how I solved my dust problem when I was deployed to Iraq. I didn't want to change lenses, so I got another Leica. When you one you need a new rear lens cap, just get a new body instead.
Phil Forrest

Old 01-08-2020   #15
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
It's how I solved my dust problem when I was deployed to Iraq. I didn't want to change lenses, so I got another Leica. When you one you need a new rear lens cap, just get a new body instead.
Phil Forrest
Phil,

I tend to carry two cameras rather than change lenses also.

All I need is a wide and a fast normal.

Cal