Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

minox developing tank agitation tests
Old 02-26-2019   #1
Sterlingsilver

minox developing tank agitation tests

I was doing some testing tonight with my minox developing tank to test agitation/flow methods following my color developing experience and the seemingly undeveloped upper shots. I left the lid off and dropped the helix in, raised off the bottom slightly. A piece of white tape was stuck inside the tank in the area where the cassette would sit for visual contrast. I filled the tank with 60cc of water and added 3 drops of food coloring to the fill port. I applied the various methods, running a timer for 3.5 mins (C41 developing time) until I saw the red coloring appear over the white tape.

Thermometer pumping: no color appeared after 3.5 minutes
5cc medicine dropper pump: no color after 3.5 mins
Setting the tank on a vibrating neck massager on high: after 1:09 a steady bleed of color that continued until 3:30
20cc syringe with long, large needle pumping 10cc: after 2nd pump a burst of red, with a fresh burst after each pump.
I then machined 4 1mm deep grooves down each side of the helix and tried again.
20cc pumping 10cc: color burst after 1 pump and steady bursts after
20cc pumping 5cc: same color results as if pumping 10cc without the grooves, but with much less change in tank volume or overflow risk.

I didn't try the thermometer or medicine dropper with the grooves since the syringe was working so well and was much easier. I also did not try the massager again since it would be difficult to maintain developing temperature while using it. In the future I may add more grooves and will use the large syringe for my next development, I'm excited to see the results.

Last edited by Sterlingsilver : 02-26-2019 at 22:46. Reason: spacing and format