Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Your thoughts on Nikkor 50/1.8 AI-S Japanese pancake version
Old 03-17-2018   #1
PunkFunkDunk

Hi all

I recently bought one of these lenses from a Japanese seller on eBay as I desired a compact set up for traveling. Having read the thoughts of Ren Kockwell, who heralds it at Nikons best manual focus 50mm lens of all time, I believed him (for once) and shelled out for a copy.

To clarify, this is the version that was produced between 1980-82 for the Japanese market only. It can be identified by the fact that it has MFD of 0.45m (all other 50 pancakes are 0.6m), serial number starts with a 2 (not 3 or 4), and is full metal construction for the barrel. It is not the regular AI-S version (plastic barrel, MFD 0.6m), nor the Series E, nor the so-called long nose 50/1.8.

It arrived and I have run a few rolls of colour and B&W using it. It really is remarkable. Comparison shots against my Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar ZF.2 show that the Planar is a wee bit better in microcontrast and colour rendition, but not by much. Based on scans from my V600, it is hard to distinguish images between the two lenses. I have yet to wet print B&W from the negs, however.

My point being that I am blown away by the quality of the so-called Japanese pancake. The Zeiss by comparison seems like a beast of a lens now and I can not imagine taking it on a trip over the pancake. So enamoured am I that I scoured eBay for another copy but could not find one. So, for the first time, I have used the Buyee/Yahoo site which allows non-Japan based buyers to purchase items from Japan that otherwise are not always listed on eBay. They currently have about a dozen copies of this pancake available and I purchased a minty one for under US$100, less than the first copy I bought.

Having never used any other Nikon 50mm lens, I am interested in any thoughts or opinions RFF users may have on this lens from first hand experience.

Regards.

Old 03-17-2018   #2
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
Based on scans from my V600, it is hard to distinguish images between the two lenses.
Not surprising. The V600 only has an actual maximum resolution of 1560, and so will be the weakest link in the chain.

Old 03-17-2018   #3
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Not surprising. The V600 only has an actual maximum resolution of 1560, and so will be the weakest link in the chain.

Well, sure, but even with the V600 I can still see a difference in the way a lens renders, as in the scans between my CV 35/2.5 and Summicron ASPH, same goes for the difference between the Zeiss Planar and FD 50/1.4. The V600 is not so bad that one can not tell between high and lower quality glass, though of course with big limitations.

Old 03-17-2018   #4
Contarama

I use this lens a lot. I shot with it today in fact.

Old 03-17-2018   #5
Shac

Curious - What's the difference supposed to be due to? Apart from closest focus specs are same and the AiS pancake version (not series E)?
TIA

Old 03-17-2018   #6
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I've had one of these for years. It's always produced super images. I use it adapted on a Fuji X-Pro1 these days. Great little lens.

Fuji X-T3; X-Pro1; XF10

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Old 03-17-2018   #7
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post
Curious - What's the difference supposed to be due to? Apart from closest focus specs are same and the AiS pancake version (not series E)?
TIA
I have never been able to really tell any difference between them. The E is less contrasty compared to the others. I think the New version is slighty thinner? Hard to screw up a 50/1.8.

Old 03-17-2018   #8
kxl
Social Documentary

The Japan pancake also has a shorter focus throw than the 'new' pancake. I personally prefer the larger AIS long-nose version, which has the same focus throw and MFD as the Japan pancake version. My preference is entirely for ergonomic reasons -- the long nose just balances better in my hands. Wrt IQ, I can't really tell any difference in practical use.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 03-18-2018   #9
Fraser

I have this version e series can't remember how much it cost but not much and have always been really impressed out of all the Nikon 50s I've tried the only one that has slightly disappointed is the 1.4D.
16fbpicPancake_02 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr
Focus on the S.
[email protected]_01 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr

Old 03-19-2018   #10
bluesun267

I don't know if the formula is exactly the same or not, but I did own a 50/1.8 long-nose and found it to be one of the worst, most boring lenses I've ever used on B/W film. It seemed to render stark, flat, 2 dimensional images that lacked pleasing mid-tone gradation. I prefer the 50/1.4 and 50/2 over it any day (though ultimately I prefer an LTM 50 such as the Nikkor SC, Elmar or Summicron over any SLR lens for B/W). As the 50/1.8 is supposed to be a "perfect" lens, it would seem to lack the character which I find so important to good B/W images.

The only SLR lens I've come across that seems to bridge the "B/W gap" has been the Rollei QBM Planar HFT 50/1.8. I've yet to give a Leica-R Summicron a try, but that one is next on my list.

Old 10-30-2019   #11
dourbalistar

I recently got a copy of this lens, and am pretty happy with the initial results. On paper, it's fast enough, compact, and has a pretty good minimum close focus distance of 0.45m. I recently took it on a 3-day backpacking trip, and it's considerably lighter and less bulky compared to my Nikkor-S.C Auto 55mm F1.2. Looking forward to using this lens more.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04058-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 10-30-2019   #12
Ccoppola82

I have one on my F3. Nice little lens!

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 10-30-2019   #13
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I recently got a copy of this lens, and am pretty happy with the initial results. On paper, it's fast enough, compact, and has a pretty good minimum close focus distance of 0.45m. I recently took it on a 3-day backpacking trip, and it's considerably lighter and less bulky compared to my Nikkor-S.C Auto 55mm F1.2. Looking forward to using this lens more.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04058-positive.jpg
Very nice result! I'd be happy with that.

Old 10-31-2019   #14
George Mann

The Japanese pancake renders differently than the other Nikkors, with the E series being its weaker, but similar sibling, with the most obvious difference being the coating.

Old 11-01-2019   #15
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Very nice result! I'd be happy with that.
Thanks, Huss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mann View Post
The Japanese pancake renders differently than the other Nikkors, with the E series being its weaker, but similar sibling, with the most obvious difference being the coating.
I haven't used any of its other siblings, so I can't speak to the rendering. I haven't shot any brick walls yet either, but will be looking to see if its lack of distortion is true. Nikon designed it to have only 0.1% distortion of objects positioned at infinity, and just 1% for objects at the minimum focus distance.

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0060/index.htm

flickr

Old 11-01-2019   #16
dourbalistar

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04062-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-02-2019   #17
dourbalistar

Stopped down even a little bit, this lens has a sharpness and bite that I don't always see in my other lenses.

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04048-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-02-2019   #18
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
I personally prefer the larger AIS long-nose version, which has the same focus throw and MFD as the Japan pancake version. My preference is entirely for ergonomic reasons -- the long nose just balances better in my hands.
The same.

Plus, the Ai-S "long nose" version is made of brass and alloy, not polycarbonate. And it still has the good old "rabbit ears" so that you can use it on pré-Ai Nikon bodies for metering. Also, the front element is more recessed : the lens hood (Nikon or no-name) will be more efficient.

And for the same very low price, on the 2nd hand market, as both the two versions of the Ai-S "pancake".

Old 11-02-2019   #19
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
The same.

Plus, the Ai-S "long nose" version is made of brass and alloy, not polycarbonate. And it still has the good old "rabbit ears" so that you can use it on pré-Ai Nikon bodies for metering. Also, the front element is more recessed : the lens hood (Nikon or no-name) will be more efficient.

And for the same very low price, on the 2nd hand market, as both the two versions of the Ai-S "pancake".
I believe the Japanese pancake version is also all metal construction. The Series E pancake is the one that uses mostly polycarbonate. But I can understand how some might prefer the long-nose for the ergonomics.

flickr

Old 11-02-2019   #20
besk

I have never liked attaching a filter on the long nose lens because it is so far from the
lens element.

With the pancake version the filter is very close. I use the polycarbonate E series version sometimes for that reason.

Old 11-06-2019   #21
Smaug

I got the 50/1.8 pancake (not Series E) with an FG body I picked up last month. I'm shocked at how good it is. Sharp everywhere, nice bokeh. I seem to recall that the Series E has the same glass, but cheaper construction and coatings.

I have the 50/1.4 AI, but have not used it yet. I'm thinking of moving it on down the line, as I don't use a 50 prime that much, and when I do, I think I prefer the 50/1.8 pancake.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 11-06-2019   #22
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
I got the 50/1.8 pancake (not Series E) with an FG body I picked up last month. I'm shocked at how good it is. Sharp everywhere, nice bokeh. I seem to recall that the Series E has the same glass, but cheaper construction and coatings.

I have the 50/1.4 AI, but have not used it yet. I'm thinking of moving it on down the line, as I don't use a 50 prime that much, and when I do, I think I prefer the 50/1.8 pancake.
Smaug, do you have the Japanese-market version of the 50/1.8 pancake? As the OP notes, it can easily be identified by a serial number starting with 2, as well as a minimum focus distance of 0.45m. Ken Rockwell also has a good summary of the differences:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50...pancake.htm#id

flickr

Old 11-06-2019   #23
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I had E version on FG20. Camera was nice, lens was awful. It looks like I had wrong version of 50 1.8.
The naming of Nikon lenses is terrible. Could anyone let me know which 50 1.8 is good one? Ai-S? Will it work on Nikkormat?
Or I'll just get Helios 81H, this one was superior to Crons.

Old 11-06-2019   #24
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I had E version on FG20. Camera was nice, lens was awful. It looks like I had wrong version of 50 1.8.
The naming of Nikon lenses is terrible. Could anyone let me know which 50 1.8 is good one? Ai-S? Will it work on Nikkormat?
Or I'll just get Helios 81H, this one was superior to Crons.
In no particular order, I believe these are the different MF 50/1.8 versions:
  • AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S - Subject of this thread, Japanese-market version;
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI - early version;
  • Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 - plastic pancake, single coated;
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-s - aka "long nose", with rabbit ears;
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-s - pancake, with serial numbers starting with 4 and 0.6m MFD.
MIR has a good breakdown of the version history, with different parts for the different versions.
https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...kkor/index.htm

As for whether it will mount (and meter) on a Nikkormat, that would depend on which model Nikkormat you have, and whether a lens has "rabbit ears" for the meter coupling prong. So there you go, clear as mud.

flickr

Old 11-09-2019   #25
dourbalistar

It's not quite a brick wall, but all the lines look pretty straight and distortion free to me.

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04063-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-18-2019   #26
shorelineae

I have the pancake 50mm f1.8 AI-S with a serial number starting with 2. It is so sharp! I love it. It has a bit of fungus on the inner element but I am planning to open it up and clean it (i found a youtube tutoral - else I wouldn’t dare..).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-18-2019   #27
james.liam

The ‘E’ series lenses, IIRC, were single coated even after all the Nikkors went to multi-coating. I’ve got the heralded 75-150 E; desaturated colors, flare more than I’d like.
Have never been a fan of the 50/1.4 iterations (especially the AF-D) or 1.8. Vanilla.

The 50/1.2 is a far more interesting lens, way sharper @ f/2 that nearly any Nikkor, for a few more $$. Not to mention the NOCT. Even the 45/2.8 pancake has more character. If I were in the market for a “pancake normal”, I’d go for the CV 2/40, hands down. Especially the second version with Macro close-up lenses.

Old 11-18-2019   #28
Palmer Segner

Both Ai-S pancakes and the Series E lens share the same optics and offer significantly less distortion than the "long nose" and earlier Ai versions. The only differences between them are the coatings and build quality. I am curious why they changed the minimum focusing distance though. All three perform identically at infinity and down to 0.6 meters.

Old 11-20-2019   #29
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer Segner View Post
Both Ai-S pancakes and the Series E lens share the same optics and offer significantly less distortion than the "long nose" and earlier Ai versions. The only differences between them are the coatings and build quality. I am curious why they changed the minimum focusing distance though. All three perform identically at infinity and down to 0.6 meters.
Perhaps something special for a specific market? Kind of like this Ferrari 348 Serie Speciale, one of only 100 made specifically for North America.

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04055-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-21-2019   #30
largedrink

I received an AIS pancake recently. Unfortunately it has an issue with the aperture control somehow being interfered with by the focus. So the aperture opens and closes during focusing when mounted on a camera. And the aperture blades don't return to fully open after firing the shutter. Is this an unusual problem?

Old 11-21-2019   #31
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by largedrink View Post
I received an AIS pancake recently. Unfortunately it has an issue with the aperture control somehow being interfered with by the focus. So the aperture opens and closes during focusing when mounted on a camera. And the aperture blades don't return to fully open after firing the shutter. Is this an unusual problem?
I have no idea about the former issue with the focus interfering with the aperture, but neither issue sounds normal to me.

As for the latter, I did have a similar issue with the aperture blades not snapping back open after firing the shutter, but on a different lens, a non-factory AI modded lens. The seller said that whoever re-assembled the lens last didn't line up stop-down lever properly to move the prongs inside. Thankfully, I was able to work out an exchange.

flickr

Old 11-21-2019   #32
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by largedrink View Post
It is actually not. The focus helicoids, if they get full of grit, or the lubricant dries, or locks for another reason, can bind with the aperture mechanism. It happened to one of mine. It was easily fixed by the guy who was then the Nikon service agent here in Adelaide.

Marty

Old 12-11-2019   #33
dourbalistar

2019.09.25 Roll #221-04064-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 01-02-2020   #34
dourbalistar

2019.10.21 Roll #228-04192-positive.jpg

2019.10.21 Roll #228-04198-positive.jpg

2019.10.21 Roll #228-04223-positive.jpg

2019.11.20 Roll #232-04260-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr3

2019.11.20 Roll #232-04228-positive.jpg

2019.11.20 Roll #232-04247-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 01-05-2020   #35
Doddle

Not a bad lens at all, one of those pancakes that doesn't feel like a compromise in optical quality. Mine has fungus but it still performs just fine.

Rollei RPX 400 @ 640 in Rodinal

Old 01-07-2020   #36
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doddle View Post
Not a bad lens at all, one of those pancakes that doesn't feel like a compromise in optical quality.
I find it to be an excellent lens, and significant enough to make Nikon's The Thousand and One Nights series.

flickr

Old 01-07-2020   #37
dourbalistar

2019.10.21 Roll #228-04216-positive.jpg

2019.11.20 Roll #232-04249-positive.jpg

2019.11.20 Roll #232-04250-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 01-08-2020   #38
Smaug

I'm enjoying your photos, dourbalistar.

I was about to sell my 50/1.4 AI and just keep my pancake 50/1.8 AI-S, but then I tried the 50/1.4 AI and it is good too. Just not small & light.

I'm finding that the 1.4 is better on the FE, the 1.8 pancake is better on the FG.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 01-08-2020   #39
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
I'm enjoying your photos, dourbalistar.

I was about to sell my 50/1.4 AI and just keep my pancake 50/1.8 AI-S, but then I tried the 50/1.4 AI and it is good too. Just not small & light.

I'm finding that the 1.4 is better on the FE, the 1.8 pancake is better on the FG.
Thanks, Smaug! A lot of photography is a series of compromises, and for me, the 50/1.8 AI-S pancake is a great balance between cost, size, performance, and speed. Like Doddle noted, it's a great all-rounder without too many compromises, optical or otherwise.

flickr

Old 01-08-2020   #40
dourbalistar

2019.11.20 Roll #232-04252-positive.jpg

flickr