Joined my local darkroom
Old 2 Days Ago   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Joined my local darkroom

One of the wonders of Plymouth, a port city of immense history, is the astonishing Royal William Yard. Built in the early 19th century to supply the Royal Navy with high quality food, it is an architectural gem. It was turned over to civilian use about 20 years ago, and re-developed as high quality housing and restaurants, plus a complex of artists' studios. In there is a community photography company, with studio, digital suite and full darkroom, with 6 enlargers, and tons of space.

So I joined last week, and after an induction, started today. I have taken courses before with a friend who is an Ilford artisan partner, but the only real way to learn is to use and use and learn. It's a lot tougher than Lightroom, but the results are soo much better. Getting exposure right in camera seems to be the best starting point!

Tried some split grade today. Probably a bit more work required but I got all the highlight detail out of the dog's white fur that I wanted. (The iphone scan doesn't do it much justice!).

It's an exquisite place to work, even if you are in the dark most of the time!

And the darkroom is up above a lovely cafe!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 2 Days Ago   #2
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
In there is a community photography company, with studio, digital suite and full darkroom, with 6 enlargers, and tons of space.

So I joined last week, and after an induction, started today. I have taken courses before with a friend who is an Ilford artisan partner, but the only real way to learn is to use and use and learn.

That's very interesting - thanks for posting this, Charles. While I've no inclination to take a whole course of lessons, I wouldn't mind an overview of the basics. I therefore Googled the community darkroom, and discovered that they offer what appears to be a one-evening "Introduction to Darkroom Printing".

I might just make enquiries about this, since I've never really done any darkroom printing... aside from a one-off occasion some forty years ago, when I helped (hindered?) someone with some printing.

Old 2 Days Ago   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

It's great fun even if nothing more than a learning exercise. The first time you see the image appearing in the developer, then see the deep blacks and it's addictive.

Let me know if you do - Ryan at Fotonow handles the enquiries and I'm sure I can tack myself on. It would be good to say hello!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 2 Days Ago   #4
Hari

Been addicted to darkroom since first
at 8 or 9 in sunday school. Made an
enlarger out of old camera in 9th grade.

Old 2 Days Ago   #5
giganova

That is awesome! My city also has two community art centers with wet labs and 6 enlargers each, plus a huge printer with endless paper for digital print. Joining them is on my to-do list for 2020!

Old 2 Days Ago   #6
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari View Post
Been addicted to darkroom since first
at 8 or 9 in sunday school. Made an
enlarger out of old camera in 9th grade.
Care to explain?