Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

View Poll Results: How many M9 owners are planning a move to the M10
Yes I am planning to upgrade 25 20.66%
Nope, not worth it for me 96 79.34%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

M10 upgrade
Old 07-22-2012   #1
laskadog

M10 upgrade

Assuming current M10 rumors are true (larger LCD, CMOS, more pixels, live view & video, faster buffer) how many M9 owners are planning an upgrade?

Old 07-22-2012   #2
Viktor Sebastian
~

I still use an M8 So the question for me is M9 or M10 for crazy money no doubt.

Old 07-22-2012   #3
Waus

Erwin Puts is sellings his M9:
http://link.marktplaats.nl/579486106

Old 07-22-2012   #4
fotomeow
name under my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waus View Post
so am I ..... but I can't compete with Leica celebrities on German websites!
I am not selling to upgrade to an M10, which I am sure will be $$$ thousands more than the M9.
I hope those who are selling their M9s realize this.

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 07-22-2012   #5
f16sunshine

No, I'm not buying a Rumor

Old 07-22-2012   #6
ajramirez

No. I do not need video or live view, and while a CMOS sensor would likely have better high ISO performance, I am not willing to sacrifice IQ at lower ISOs for this.

However, an update for M9s including a higher resolution LCD screen and faster writing to the card would certainly interest me, if the cost is not completely outrageous.

Cheers,

Antonio

Old 07-22-2012   #7
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

the reason m3 was a big hit in it's time was because it combined the viewfinder with the rangefinder in one big viewfinder.

Full frame mirrorless (future of fuji) will kill the dslrs as slrs killed rfs.

If leica can partner with Fuji and make it so you can switch between a rf focusing option live and a af system, it will be revolutionary. Best of mirrorless size combined with the ease of automation and the superior manual focusing of rf.

other wise leica will stay as an niche product nothing too innovative but for people who buy it because of it's past history and brass plates. Of course this is talking body wise, I can see many people using leica lenses when the x pro 2 comes out with a full frame sensor

when m3 m2 came along they were produced in the 200,000 300,000 and during the 50's that is mass production folks, it was very popular

Old 07-22-2012   #8
Eric T

Fuji is the new Leica. The M10 will likely still be years behind the Fuji XPro-1.
As the saying goes for one of the iconic brands of motorcycles: "decades of tradition, unhampered by progress".
Even with the rumored changes coming with the M10, it will still not likely have a sensor cleaning mechanism or autofocus. Rangefinder focusing is great - unless it is out of calibration.

Old 07-22-2012   #9
EdwardKaraa

I don't have an M9, but that's because I've been waiting for the M10. However, I may get an M9 after all, if the M10 doesn't live up to the expectations.

Old 07-22-2012   #10
skibeerr

Quote:

The crazy thing about this ad; Erwin Puts M9 is "Like new" and "not much used"

Old 07-22-2012   #11
sepiareverb
genius and moron

The only upgrade I'd go for is the black chrome of the MM for my M-nines.

Old 07-22-2012   #12
moreammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajramirez View Post
\

However, an update for M9s including a higher resolution LCD screen and faster writing to the card would certainly interest me, if the cost is not completely outrageous.
I'm with antonio on this one. either way, i'll stick the 9 for a few years

Old 07-22-2012   #13
olle
Bessa User

Heh, and here I am about to pull the trigger on a used M8 .

Oh well, it's the pictures that count, right?? right???

Two eyes, a heart, an M8 and some lenses.

The act of taking a photo isn't about the picture, it's about preserving a moment - that fraction of a second for eternity

Old 07-23-2012   #14
roboflick

I will upgrade. I would like better high ISo performance. As I do a lot of low light indoor shooting of subjects that won't hold still. ( my 4 year old and 11 month old)
I might wait for the m 10 p in chrome if Leica follows their release schedule for the m9

Nik

Old 07-23-2012   #15
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Sold already. To my brother. The first M9 ever sold with official certificate to that effect.

jaapvphotography

Old 07-23-2012   #16
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Not upgrading. M9 + MM is my dream team.

jaapvphotography

Old 07-23-2012   #17
SausalitoDog

I became interested in a Leica a little more than a year ago...never owned one; back in the 60s I had a Nikon s2 and always envied the guys who could afford a Leica. When I went to a shop to check out an M9 I was stunned by how much it weighed and that it didn't have an auto focus option. Then with a little research, I felt it was too late in the product cycle to buy one and I should wait for an M10 or X2... Then the x100 + xpro1 totally took the Leica impulse out of me...

I AM interested in getting an M adapter for my xp1 and trying manual focus with a Leica lens, but I'm in no hurry since the xp1 is doing pretty fine as it is right now... Not that I don't lust for some of the Leica lenses but I really have no desire to return to film and I just don't see any digital advantage to Leica in the current models.

Tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 07-23-2012   #18
dannynono
Survey sez....

Quote:
Originally Posted by olle View Post
Heh, and here I am about to pull the trigger on a used M8 .

Oh well, it's the pictures that count, right?? right???
Yes, the pictures count. I've had my M8 for 2 years now and I've no desire to get rid of it even though i've convinced my better half to allow for an upgrade (used M9).

condensed gallery: smugmug
non-condensed: flickr

Old 07-23-2012   #19
swoop

I bought my M8 within 6 months of release, I pre-ordered my M9 and received it 3 months after release.

The M9 works great but if the M10 has all the little features I crave like ISO 6400, larger/faster buffer, live view, upgraded LCD, film M size body, I can see myself getting one eventually but it's going to be at least 18 months until I can afford one and that's factoring in having to sell my M9.

Old 07-24-2012   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Sure, until the M10 comes out... unless you stand by your bias against CMOS.

Old 07-24-2012   #21
gavinlg

Meh i'd keep the M9 personally. The idea of a leica M with an evf accessory slot and live view kind of makes me feel sad. The m9 may be viewed as the 'classic' digital M in years to come!

Old 07-24-2012   #22
Viktor Sebastian
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Meh i'd keep the M9 personally. The idea of a leica M with an evf accessory slot and live view kind of makes me feel sad. The m9 may be viewed as the 'classic' digital M in years to come!
Yea and in a way the leica monochrom may just be that. It basically has all the performance one could ever need from a camera - In black and white anyway.

Old 07-24-2012   #23
MarkoM8

I'm not interested in cmos, video, live view, etc.. Fortunately, this is only a rumor.

Old 07-24-2012   #24
Monochrom

I donīt believe in that m10...not even the x2 does video!

But of course i didnīt believe on the monochrom either...

if such acamera was to be released i wouldīnt buy it...my next camera will be the monochrom...with the higher iso capability i can let go all my fast glasses in favor of my recenlty acquired apoqualia...but thatīs another tale...hehe

I do beleive that leica will release a higgher Mp camera....but to me the best challenge on an m10 would be the size...iīd expect it to be a thinner camera as the film mīs....

cheers!

Old 07-25-2012   #25
redisburning
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizg7 View Post
other wise leica will stay as an niche product nothing too innovative but for people who buy it because of it's past history and brass plates. Of course this is talking body wise, I can see many people using leica lenses when the x pro 2 comes out with a full frame sensor
1 youre delusional if you think Fuji will dump their current lenses to make a full frame camera. they have a roadmap you know, they're married to aps-c for a long time

2 people buy Leica for the same reason they buy ferraris and vintage montblancs. it's got nothing to do with practicality, but with the subtle essence of the product. most people are too bullheaded to appreciate that level of subtlety, and even some people who get it in some places dont in others (e.g. all wine tastes like watery grape juice to me)

people push this "modernization" crap without understanding which parts of it are improvements and which parts are just different for the sake of being different. a ball point pen with usb storage and a laser pointer is a million miles more modern than any of my pens but it's still trashcan to write with.

Leica lives only because they occupy a space that has no competition in 35mm. And Canon would be making just as big a mistake trying to chase Leica's market as Leica would be chasing Canon's.

Old 07-26-2012   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
Leica lives only because they occupy a space that has no competition in 35mm. And Canon would be making just as big a mistake trying to chase Leica's market as Leica would be chasing Canon's.
Right, some just don't seem to get this.

Old 07-26-2012   #27
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
+1

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 07-26-2012   #28
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
The M9 works great but if the M10 has all the little features I crave like ISO 6400, larger/faster buffer, live view, upgraded LCD, film M size body, I can see myself getting one eventually but it's going to be at least 18 months until I can afford one and that's factoring in having to sell my M9.
A faster buffer is something that would be really nice, I have lost a couple of shots because the camera was writing to the card. I never shoot on "c" but a quick series of single shots. I changed to raw only, instead of raw and jpg fine in the beginning. So it's a bit better. But that single feature is not worth an upgrade for sure.

I don't care about live view or a better LCD, I don't chimp at all. And I also don't care about the M9 being a tiny bit larger than film M's. The quality of the files stunnes me every time when I open them in LR4.1 compared to my old 5x7 prints I used to get, this is waaaay better. And I don't care if theoretically a 25 ISO film could give an even better resolution on a tripod "w. hold your breath and cable release" than the current sensor of the M9.

For streetphotography the M9 is "enough already" (see same title essay on LULA....):
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...-already.shtml

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 07-26-2012   #29
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
1 youre delusional if you think Fuji will dump their current lenses to make a full frame camera. they have a roadmap you know, they're married to aps-c for a long time

2 people buy Leica for the same reason they buy ferraris and vintage montblancs. it's got nothing to do with practicality, but with the subtle essence of the product. most people are too bullheaded to appreciate that level of subtlety, and even some people who get it in some places dont in others (e.g. all wine tastes like watery grape juice to me)

people push this "modernization" crap without understanding which parts of it are improvements and which parts are just different for the sake of being different. a ball point pen with usb storage and a laser pointer is a million miles more modern than any of my pens but it's still trashcan to write with.

you obviously were not around when the m3 was announced and released. Fuji will increase their sensor size when the new x series comes out. Pretty sure Cosina Voigtlander still produces 35mm film cameras, oh and they are rangefinders

Old 07-27-2012   #30
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizg7 View Post
you obviously were not around when the m3 was announced and released. Fuji will increase their sensor size when the new x series comes out.
You seem very sure of this... can I ask why?

Old 07-27-2012   #31
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
No, I'm not buying a Rumor
What Andy said.

Old 07-27-2012   #32
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Sure, until the M10 comes out... unless you stand by your bias against CMOS.
There is nothing there that I feel a need of...

jaapvphotography

Old 07-27-2012   #33
WPalank
Leica Evangelist

As a person who has never had any interest in shooting video with a DSLR, I still remember when Vincent Laforet released the video "Reverie" in Oct. 2009. It was the first the first 1080p video widely released that was shot with the Canon 5D MKII.
http://vimeo.com/7151244

If Leica does release a new digital M with video function, I can only imagine what that video would look like if shot with a Nocti and other Leica Glass. Not to mention, as hard as the Noctilux is to find these days, it may become near impossible.

I think I'm in. Just sayin'.

Google+
Main Site
Flickr

Old 07-27-2012   #34
Viktor Sebastian
~

You can already use leica lenses on all sorts of video cameras.
https://vimeo.com/44434153
There really isn't much to gain into putting it into an M body. My guess is the video quality would be some sort of 8bit 4:2:0, rolling shutter rubbish anyway.

Old 07-27-2012   #35
WPalank
Leica Evangelist

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the Red One a $25,000 video camera? Granted, who knows what Leica will be asking for the next Digital-M.

Google+
Main Site
Flickr

Old 07-27-2012   #36
Viktor Sebastian
~

Yep, but you can also use a $300 Panasonic GH1, Sony Nex, etc.
https://vimeo.com/28881769

Old 07-27-2012   #37
semordnilap

CMOS and live view I can see them doing... Video I think would be a bad idea. Better put the engineering resources into still image quality. I don't think Leica would sell many more cameras because of video.

flickr

Old 07-29-2012   #38
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

I think those who pre-purchase based on rumours are called stock brokers.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 07-29-2012   #39
WPalank
Leica Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
I think those who pre-purchase based on rumours are called stock brokers.
Agreed.
But several stores around the world will assign your name to a list at the moment.

Google+
Main Site
Flickr

Old 07-29-2012   #40
Ben Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPalank

If Leica does release a new digital M with video function, I can only imagine what that video would look like if shot with a Nocti
I too can only imagine video with full-frame and the DOF of a 50mm @ f/0.95 and manual focus. Not a particularly pretty image I'm sad to say.