M10 spy pics?
Old 07-13-2012   #1
squirrel$$$bandit

M10 spy pics?

Nobody has posted this yet?

http://leicarumors.com/2012/07/13/is...px/#more-16306

Old 07-13-2012   #2
bugmenot

Definitely a much larger screen, but appears to keep the same body size and design. Different button arrangement, especially to the right. And an accessory port under the hotshot?

The user holds it as if it has live view.

It is pretty clear a new M10 is due (overdue?). Firstly, all the special Editions for M9 have been milked to death ... I mean, what's left to do? A LV Leica M9 for Hong Kong market?
The white edition also came out, signaling an end, just like M8.

Most importantly, the sensor is due for a change, if for no reason other than the fact that Kodak is out of the sensor business (and the new owner is not so interested in innovation as much as short term profits and dividends).

And it needs feature parity with the best and greatest mirrorless cameras out today.

I just wonder if they will do anything interesting with the viewfinder/rangefinder... Say, M9 Titanium LED lit frame lines and perhaps isolated frames (only see the 35m frames when shooting 35mm and so on), Switchable magnification, and perhaps more information built-in the form of an LCD or projected LCD.

Old 07-13-2012   #3
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

I wish I wish Leica has the courage to do a change up, like the M5.

M5 had balls.

Old 07-13-2012   #4
kokoshawnuff

Would make sense for a Photokina release. The 'spy pics' usually begin to appear for these things a couple months before official announcements

Old 07-13-2012   #5
horosu

Looks quite real I must say!

My Flickr

Old 07-13-2012   #6
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

That little port looking thing bellow hotshoe could well be EVF port. Maybe they can release new series of lenses say "DR Summicron" for close focusing when used with EVF.

I for one hoping the M9 price drops to bellow $4k mark after this new baby comes out.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 07-13-2012   #7
paradoxbox

funny about the small hitler face in the bottom right of the second picture, heh

the timing seems right considering photokina is just a few months away, leica always seems to leak "accidentally on purpose" a few months before release

Old 07-13-2012   #8
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

There's no port there. Just a ramp for the central hotshoe contacts.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 07-13-2012   #9
bugmenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
There's no port there. Just a ramp for the central hotshoe contacts.
Highly doubtful. It is too low, too nicely rectangular and too deep in the first image to be merely a ramp.

Old 07-13-2012   #10
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

don't you guys think leica is releasing too many digital Ms. I mean it's a good thing I guess because every digital camera has a shelf life of 2 years max.

But when you think of a Leica you think it's going to outlast you and possibly your children.The m9 put out great files but felt like a half baked product to me.

I admit it puts out amazing files the sensor is nice , but the only thing I fell is leica about it is its brass plates and magnesium alloy housing.

Old 07-13-2012   #11
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I think I spot an "Art Filter" button there on the back. Now THAT is going to set us back a few bucks!!

Fuji X-T3; X-Pro1; XF10

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Old 07-13-2012   #12
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
(and the new owner is not so interested in innovation as much as shirt term profits and dividends).
How do you know this?

Old 07-13-2012   #13
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizg7 View Post

But when you think of a Leica you think it's going to outlast you and possibly your children.
You cannot expect this yet... digital is still, most likely, in its infancy.

Quote:
The m9 put out great files but felt like a half baked product to me.
The only thing it is missing is high ISO. Anything else that is missing is by design.

Quote:
I admit it puts out amazing files the sensor is nice , but the only thing I fell is leica about it is its brass plates and magnesium alloy housing.
Not sure what else they could have done to make it Leica though. What would you suggest?

Old 07-13-2012   #14
squirrel$$$bandit

I think the M9 might someday be something of a legend for having the last Kodak CCD sensor. Don't think I'm inclined to trade up either way. But I'm glad a new camera seems to be coming!

Old 07-13-2012   #15
bean_counter

no strap attached (at least on the visible lug); top plate looks like it has an edge, like a bent and cut piece of flat steel glued on; mock-up?

Old 07-13-2012   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I think the M9 might someday be something of a legend for having the last Kodak CCD sensor.
I think you might be right.

Old 07-13-2012   #17
bugmenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
How do you know this?
Platinum Equity is in the business of buying, merging, acquisitions, and selling start-ups and businesses. They care nothing for innovation and only look out for their short term profits and yearly bottom line ....

A simple look at their portfolio and history of transactions should give you an idea of what I am talking about. There are other reasons, personal ones, but that would bias the argument. I suggest people do their own little research into the company and its practices if interested.

What matters to us, of course, is Truesense Imaging's future and its relationship with photography, and I can tell you they won't be too interested in the segment, and their focus will shift to purely scientific, military and law enforcement, and medical purposes. However, current customers who use past designed, developed and produced Kodak CCDs won't be left behind for at least a few more years.

Old 07-13-2012   #18
dave lackey

Quick thoughts:

Live view? No thanks! I hate live view. If that is the case, then the Leica mantra of simplicity is shot to hell, what's next to find out about, a huge menu list that requires the extra large LCD?

Oh, video...that would be great! Not. Getting too weird. When was the last time anyone ever went back and watched a video of anything they shot years ago? Not me and I have boxes full of them. Oh, well, can't afford a new Leica M body anyways.

With all the rumors going around, and if any of them became true, I would not be surprised if the M9 would likely become quite popular and NOT go down in price.

Guess we have to wait and see....

Dave

Old 07-13-2012   #19
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm sure I can see Elvis in the background in the second pic!

Old 07-13-2012   #20
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I think I'll snatch an M9 right before M10 gets announced. Once M10 with movie, scene modes, live view, 36 mp sensor and 3.2" touch screen comes out, M9 price in used market goes up!

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 07-13-2012   #21
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
At least they are moving ahead to 2007 on the LCD.
I would prefer they fast forward about 10 years where no LCD is required!

Dave

Old 07-13-2012   #22
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Quick thoughts:

Live view? No thanks! I hate live view. If that is the case, then the Leica mantra of simplicity is shot to hell, what's next to find out about, a huge menu list that requires the extra large LCD?
Yeah, because focus shift, parallax error, the need for clip-on finders, and no DoF preview are among the great strengths of the Leica CRF system.

Old 07-13-2012   #23
dave lackey

Quote:
Yeah, because focus shift, parallax error, the need for clip-on finders, and no DoF preview are among the great strengths of the Leica CRF system.

No...it is because if I want a Nikon I will buy another Nikon. But I don't.

Why would I want a camera that works just like a Nikon DSLR with the Leica logo? I don't. If Leica wants to keep playing copycat, well, whatever...I would prefer they make small incremental improvements keeping the Leica heritage intact (most likely) OR really surpass current cameras with great technology (highly unlikely).

YMMV, but that's just me.

Dave

Old 07-13-2012   #24
umcelinho
Marcelo

as long as it comes with smile detection, I'm game.

Old 07-13-2012   #25
cosmonaut

It doesn't matter what it comes with I still can't afford one. It may as well have four tires and a Bugatii emblem on it. Another toy for the rich kids.

Old 07-13-2012   #26
bugmenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
It doesn't matter what it comes with I still can't afford one. It may as well have four tires and a Bugatti emblem on it. Another toy for the rich kids.
Well, if you were to sell ALL your cameras, you'd be able to afford one ... maybe

On a more serious note, you bring up a valid point, and that is Leica's market right now is clearly 90% rich people, and 10% photographers

No matter how much some of us preach no LCD, or "back to basics" features, it won't happen, as Leica clearly wants to sell the cameras, and their real market want to see as many features as possible (although this assumes Leica is like Bentley and Rolls Royce, rather than like Porsche and McLaren).

Old 07-13-2012   #27
hteasley
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I think the M9 might someday be something of a legend for having the last Kodak CCD sensor. Don't think I'm inclined to trade up either way. But I'm glad a new camera seems to be coming!
I'm not sure what would really get me to trade up. Full frame already, excellent image quality already, all I want is more glass now (and I'm not even really crazy with GAS that way, either: I don't have the new ASPH Summiluxen, but I've got some nice lenses now.)

Old 07-13-2012   #28
cosmonaut

Quote:
Well, if you were to sell ALL your cameras, you'd be able to afford one ... maybe

On a more serious note, you bring up a valid point, and that is Leica's market right now is clearly 90% rich people, and 10% photographers

No matter how much some of us preach no LCD, or "back to basics" features, it won't happen, as Leica clearly wants to sell the cameras, and their real market want to see as many features as possible (although this assumes Leica is like Bentley and Rolls Royce, rather than like Porsche and McLaren).
You are right if I sold everything I got I could but then I would need a few lenses. You could very easily sink $15,000 in one system. I just wish Leica would make model for the 99% crowd. Maybe even cropped sensor version. Was this an issue when the M3 came out? Was it a toy for the rich?

Old 07-13-2012   #29
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Quote:
You are right if I sold everything I got I could but then I would need a few lenses. You could very easily sink $15,000 in one system. I just wish Leica would make model for the 99% crowd. Maybe even cropped sensor version. Was this an issue when the M3 came out? Was it a toy for the rich?
I wonder if M2 was sold for less compared to M3 back then.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 07-13-2012   #30
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
No...it is because if I want a Nikon I will buy another Nikon. But I don't.

Why would I want a camera that works just like a Nikon DSLR with the Leica logo? I don't. If Leica wants to keep playing copycat, well, whatever...I would prefer they make small incremental improvements keeping the Leica heritage intact (most likely) OR really surpass current cameras with great technology (highly unlikely).

YMMV, but that's just me.
Right. Leica should not address the key longstanding weaknesses of the M system, because if they do the camera will be just like a D3X. Got it.

I'm very confident that Leica M10 will implement live view.

Old 07-13-2012   #31
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

All it needs is live view and better high ISO performance IMO.

And a free chook!

Old 07-13-2012   #32
finguanzo

Quote:
Right. Leica should not address the key longstanding weaknesses of the M system, because if they do the camera will be just like a D3X. Got it.

I'm very confident that Leica M10 will implement live view.
If they address the "long lasting weaknesses of the M system", it wouldn't be an M anymore, or a rangefinder for that matter, what would be the point of leica becoming everyone else..?? They would loose the only reason why ppl buy their products, a digital rf..

Old 07-13-2012   #33
bugmenot

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
I wonder if M2 was sold for less compared to M3 back then.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=47906

I believe with inflation taken into account, the M3 cost about $2000 without a lens, and $3000 with a lens. That seems about right compared to professional tools today, such as the Nikon D800 or Canon 5DIII ...

Some will argue that Leica is a luxury brand. But then, so is Mercedes Benz and BMW, and people still afford those.

Leica is an Ultra Luxury brand right now ... only meant for the less than 1% wealthy population, and the select few photographers who appear on forums like RFF.

Old 07-13-2012   #34
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Quote:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=47906

I believe with inflation taken into account, the M3 cost about $2000 without a lens, and $3000 with a lens. That seems about right compared to professional tools today, such as the Nikon D800 or Canon 5DIII ...

Some will argue that Leica is a luxury brand. But then, so is Mercedes Benz and BMW, and people still afford those.

Leica is an Ultra Luxury brand right now ... only meant for the less than 1% wealthy population, and the select few photographers who appear on forums like RFF.
Interesting. So used M8 about the price (with inflation accounted) people in 1950s who were seriously into photography paid. M8 today is still an expensive camera, but it sure is more accesible to everyday (but into photography seriously) people.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 07-13-2012   #35
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

guys just a completely irrelevant comment.

Leica S1 looks timeless and marvelous

Old 07-13-2012   #36
DougFord
on the good foot

Magic 8-ball sez, M9 classic.
This M10, with live view and movie mode, is gonna be quite a shock to some.
I think down the road, after the release of the M10, perhaps an M9 classic will fill the void of those looking for a classic digital M camera. Update the sensor to a current generation CCD. Also as important is to make this model, the model, they shrink the dimensions to those of the M6 classic. Tightening up the body of the new classic digital M is IMO an important aesthetic decision.

Old 07-13-2012   #37
hausen

Can't work out what the attraction of live view would be? If M10 solves the buffer speed drama of my M9 then I am there. Live view and video no thanks.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 07-13-2012   #38
bugmenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausen View Post
Can't work out what the attraction of live view would be? If M10 solves the buffer speed drama of my M9 then I am there. Live view and video no thanks.
Really? Macro work? Wide angle lenses? Actually nailing the focus with telephotos or wide angle lenses. Knowing exactly what the image will look like. Getting the right exposure ... etc ... etc ... It can come quite handy at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFord View Post
Magic 8-ball sez, M9 classic.
This M10, with live view and movie mode, is gonna be quite a shock to some.
I think down the road, after the release of the M10, perhaps an M9 classic will fill the void of those looking for a classic digital M camera. Update the sensor to a current generation CCD. Also as important is to make this model, the model, they shrink the dimensions to those of the M6 classic. Tightening up the body of the new classic digital M is IMO an important aesthetic decision.
What CCD? It will be CMOS from here onward.

Old 07-13-2012   #39
Hamel

The M10 needs video and high iso capabilities. As much as some complain about video, think about who Leica's were originally built for... Documentary, Pj's, and war photographers. And what are they needing most now? Video and high iso. Being able to carry a couple small, light rangefinders into a war zone would be much easier and more manageable than huge dslr's with grips. It would be dumb of Leica to not include video into their next camera. It's 2012 people, if you don't want video go back to shooting film. Not including video would show that Leica is catering to the rich hobbyist market, not the professional market.

Equipment is transient. Photographs matter.

Old 07-13-2012   #40
bugmenot

It will be $10,000 minimum, if I were to hazard a guess ._.