Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-21-2019   #721
Nokton48

Rokkorfiles review of 200mm F2.8 MD Rokkor.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/200mm.htm

and.............

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/200mm%20Page%202.htm

"The 200mm f/2.8 MD Tele Rokkor is a very fast, high performing telephoto lens designed for use at wide apertures. It features high resolution, excellent corner to corner performance, and minimal vignetting for such a fast telephoto. While it does suffer from some chromatic abberation (common with lenses of this era prior to the general use of APO glass), this is only noticeable at 'grain sniffing' viewing distances on very large prints (A3+ and above).

I personally believe that the 200mm f/2.8 MD Tele Rokkor is one of the real jewels of the Minolta manual focus system, and despite its high price (US$350+ on the used market), it is worth every cent."

I would find the 300-S Teleconverter to embellish this jewel (if you do not already have a 400mm Rokkor MD).

This lens has a good reputation but priced ^^^^^

You are lucky to find one in restorable condition. I'd keep it and use it.

Old 12-21-2019   #722
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Gosh that was a poor photo wasn't it—sorry, Will—I'm hopeless shooting with a phone screen. Yes, it is a 200mm f/2.8 (slightly better pic below). There's some fungus, but I am able to disassemble the lens and clean it. I think it should come off. If the f/2.8 is a decent performer I might keep it.
Cheers,
Brett

Very cool. I haven’t shot such a lens, but the must be some interesting possibilities. Minolta made some great lenses.

Flickr

Old 12-21-2019   #723
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Minolta's ads in photography magazines of the early 1970's had me lusting for the SRT-101 and that gorgeous 58/1.2 lens.

However, as a student with no money I couldn't dream of affording one. Rather than buying the less attractive sister, the SRT-100, where I'd always be reminded of what I didn't have, I bought a camera which was different in many aspects: a Pentax SP500 - my first real 35mm SLR and which I still have and use.

In the decades that followed and with a bit more money, I went to swap meets to find a nice SRT-101. My criteria was that everything should work, it should have the chrome shutter speed dial and have mirror lock-up. It was very hard to find one that didn't have a mechanical fault or hadn't been damaged. I don't buy online because I want to handle and check the camera before buying. I'd bought and returned two items to KEH (dead on arrival), so I didn't want to repeat that practice. So it was only within the last five years that I bought two SRT-101's.

My other Minoltas are a 7sII and a Maxxum 7 (an astonishing camera with amazing lenses).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG5453~3.jpg (29.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG7728-1.jpg (25.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 12-24-2019   #724
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Rokkorfiles review of 200mm F2.8 MD Rokkor.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/200mm.htm
and.............
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/200mm%20Page%202.htm

"The 200mm f/2.8 MD Tele Rokkor is a very fast, high performing telephoto lens designed for use at wide apertures. It features high resolution, excellent corner to corner performance, and minimal vignetting for such a fast telephoto. While it does suffer from some chromatic abberation (common with lenses of this era prior to the general use of APO glass), this is only noticeable at 'grain sniffing' viewing distances on very large prints (A3+ and above).

I personally believe that the 200mm f/2.8 MD Tele Rokkor is one of the real jewels of the Minolta manual focus system, and despite its high price (US$350+ on the used market), it is worth every cent."

I would find the 300-S Teleconverter to embellish this jewel (if you do not already have a 400mm Rokkor MD).

This lens has a good reputation but priced ^^^^^

You are lucky to find one in restorable condition. I'd keep it and use it.
Thank you so much Dan, for that link. I always seem to forget the Rokkorfiles web pages. What a great resource that site is.

Do you have the 200mm f/2.8? I know how much you like your Rokkor glass. After seeing that information I think I will probably end up keeping this one, its less than perfect optical condition at present should make for a reasonably friendly price. But if for some reason I don't I can let you know...
Cheers,
Brett

Old 12-24-2019   #725
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Very cool. I haven’t shot such a lens, but the must be some interesting possibilities. Minolta made some great lenses.
Yes I must admit I'm intrigued. It may well get fitted to a 101 just as it is for a few shots next time I have a roll loaded in one (which is never very far away for me, I love using them).
Cheers,
Brett

Old 12-24-2019   #726
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Minolta's ads in photography magazines of the early 1970's had me lusting for the SRT-101 and that gorgeous 58/1.2 lens.

However, as a student with no money I couldn't dream of affording one. Rather than buying the less attractive sister, the SRT-100, where I'd always be reminded of what I didn't have, I bought a camera which was different in many aspects: a Pentax SP500 - my first real 35mm SLR and which I still have and use.

In the decades that followed and with a bit more money, I went to swap meets to find a nice SRT-101. My criteria was that everything should work, it should have the chrome shutter speed dial and have mirror lock-up. It was very hard to find one that didn't have a mechanical fault or hadn't been damaged. I don't buy online because I want to handle and check the camera before buying. I'd bought and returned two items to KEH (dead on arrival), so I didn't want to repeat that practice. So it was only within the last five years that I bought two SRT-101's.

My other Minoltas are a 7sII and a Maxxum 7 (an astonishing camera with amazing lenses).
I think that after years of being overlooked they are the subject of discussions more frequently in recent years, their reputation as an excellent camera with great build that uses a superb range of glass is only continuing to grow. I don't find them as cheaply as I once did, locally, but I have a policy of snapping up any decent example I ever find because I have no plans to ever stop shooting with my own.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 01-04-2020   #727
Nokton48

Rokkor glass is almost universally way up there in terms of desirability.

Lets add to this thread: Using Rokkor glass on digital cameras.

Minolta Auto Tele Rokkor PF F2 100mm by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'll start here. This is my PF 100mm F2 Rokkor. This one was gifted to me the iris is wide-open (only). This is the best way to use this glass. Shown on one of my Lowly Nex-3's, they serve me well.

This lens is something of a cult object, when looking on the internet.

Minolta Auto Tele Rokkor PF F2 100mm 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Soooooooooo, what interesting Rokkor glass are you using? (film or digital?)

Old 01-05-2020   #728
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
A fairly modest kit for my two SRT-101's:

35/1.8 MC
58/1.2 MC
100/2.5 MC
135/2.8 MC

For my Maxxum 7, I've got a bit more (AF) lenses, but surprisingly the common 35-70/3.5-4.5 has proven to be stunningly sharp. Hardly believing the high quality I was seeing in the color prints, I took the negatives to work and looked at them under a Leica binocular microscope and found that the Minolta lens had resolved extremely fine detail (e.g. looking at photos from a car show, one photo from about 10 feet behind the car and off to the side, at a focal length of 35mm, clearly revealed fine details on the instrument gauges).

Old 01-05-2020   #729
retinax

Quote:

I feel a little left out here because this thread is dedicated to the SRTs and I much prefer my XD7/11, but we can agree on the love of Rokkors, so here goes:
MC 24 2.8
MD III 28 2.8
MD III 35 1.8
MD and MC 50 1.4
MD 100 4.0 macro
MD 100 3.5 macro (needs to go)
MD 135 2.8 (needs to go, but worth nothing)
So nothing exotic except maybe the 24. The technically best of these lenses I think are the 24 and the 100 macros, the problem is these aren't my favourite fls... Which do you people think is the best of the 28s?

Old 01-05-2020   #730
nickthetasmaniac

Backstage | Cygnet

SRT101b, Rokkor 28/f3.5 and Portra400

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 01-05-2020   #731
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Rokkor lenses were the closest a Japanese optical maker got to making lenses that produce photo images with that look of German made lenses.

Canon did not have it and neither did mighty Nikkor.

Zuiko glass came a bit close and the Takumars had their own great magic going on.

Old 01-05-2020   #732
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
....Soooooooooo, what interesting Rokkor glass are you using? (film or digital?)
Hi Dan,
I only have a few Rokkor lenses, really. I was given maybe a dozen MC/MD mount lenses maybe ten years ago (including some duplicates which I gave away to friends or family), and I ignored them for several years, being more interested in vintage German glass. When I finally tried the Rokkor lenses on a SRT101, I stopped ignoring them! The 58mm MC f/1.4 is one of my favourite lenses from any maker.

From memory my modest line up includes:
28mm MC Rokkor f/3.5
40mm MD Rokkor f/2
50mm MD Rokkor f/1.4
55mm MC Rokkor f/1.7 (x 2)
58mm MC Rokkor f/1.4 (x 2)
135mm MC Rokkor f/2.8
200mm MC Rokkor f/4.5

I very nearly lashed out on a MC 58mm f/1.2 last month, a lens I would dearly love, being so enamoured with my f/1.4s. But I plumped for a Voigtländer Prominent kit instead, a camera I've wanted for ten years or more. A f/1.2 may be my next major purchase though because I can only see them increasing in desirability and I don't want prices to creep out of my reach.

Rationally, I probably do not really need a MC 50mm f/1.4 in addition to my other 50/58mm Rokkors, or a MC 28mm f/2.5 as well as my MC f/3.5. But I think I'll probably end up keeping all the lenses in post 718 that arrived recently. Rokkors are so good that it seems imprudent not to retain an example of a type I do not own when it presents itself at a modest price. And I do rate the build of the MC series highly, so it is likely I'd end up using the MC 50mm f/1.4 more than the MD version anyway.

Old 01-05-2020   #733
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Rokkor lenses were the closest a Japanese optical maker got to making lenses that produce photo images with that look of German made lenses.

Canon did not have it and neither did mighty Nikkor.

Zuiko glass came a bit close and the Takumars had their own great magic going on.
What do you actually mean by that? I admit I’m sceptical...

Old 01-05-2020   #734
xayraa33

Well, I have used many German made lenses, be they made by Leitz, Zeiss or Hugo Meyer or Schneider and they produce a certain look to photographs , albeit a bit different from each other but all produce a certain organic quality to the photos that the Japanese lens makers sort of omitted in their lenses to a greater and lesser degree...but Rokkor lenses came the closest to the German made lenses in their image making qualities.

And I have also used many Japanese made lenses from a lot of the famous Japanese optical firms be they Nikkor , Canon, Zuiko, Rokkor, Takumar or Topcor.

Old 01-05-2020   #735
CMur12

I haven't actually used these for quite awhile, but I have the following Minolta SLRs and lenses:

SR-Ts: Early black-dial 101, two 102s (one black, one chrome; both with MLU), and one of the very last 201s, that I bought new.

X: Two X-570s + winders (my favorite electronic Minolta SLRs).

Lenses:
28mm 2.8, late MC
35mm 2.8, early MC
50mm 1.4, mid-late MC (came with an SR-T 102; has the rubberized focusing collar)
50mm 1.7, MC (same vintage as the 1.4 above)
50mm 1.7, late MD x 2
50mm 3.5 macro, MC Celtic, (with rubberized focusing collar) + 1:1 extension tube
58mm 1.4, early MC (came with the SR-T 101)
85mm 1.7, early MD (my favorite lens; mechanically an MC with MD updates)
100mm 2.5, early MC
135mm 2.8 MD
200mm 4.0 late MD

Of these lenses, I used the 85 and the 28 for the vast majority of my shooting.

I have a Minolta angle-finder that, in my opinion, makes it a lot easier to use a camera with an eye-level finder on a tripod. It also reduces the needed amount of tripod extension.

- Murray

Old 01-06-2020   #736
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Well, I have used many German made lenses, be they made by Leitz, Zeiss or Hugo Meyer or Schneider and they produce a certain look to photographs , albeit a bit different from each other but all produce a certain organic quality to the photos that the Japanese lens makers sort of omitted in their lenses to a greater and lesser degree...but Rokkor lenses came the closest to the German made lenses in their image making qualities.

And I have also used many Japanese made lenses from a lot of the famous Japanese optical firms be they Nikkor , Canon, Zuiko, Rokkor, Takumar or Topcor.
Do you have any samples showing what you’re talking about?

Old 01-06-2020   #737
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Yes I do, but my Photobucket site is in a mess and I cannot access it any more to post photo samples on this RFF forum.

But even on computer screen photo samples it will be hard to discern what I am talking about, as I noticed this German lens vs Japanese look difference through making B&W prints in my darkroom through the course of many years and it did not happen overnight.

Old 01-06-2020   #738
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Well, I have used many German made lenses ... and they produce a certain look to photographs , albeit a bit different from each other but all produce a certain organic quality to the photos that the Japanese lens makers sort of omitted in their lenses to a greater and lesser degree...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Difference is lens coating infused with either schnapps or saki.

Old 01-06-2020   #739
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
I haven't actually used these for quite awhile, but I have the following Minolta SLRs and lenses:

SR-Ts: Early black-dial 101, two 102s (one black, one chrome; both with MLU), and one of the very last 201s, that I bought new.

X: Two X-570s + winders (my favorite electronic Minolta SLRs).

Lenses:
28mm 2.8, late MC
35mm 2.8, early MC
50mm 1.4, mid-late MC (came with an SR-T 102; has the rubberized focusing collar)
50mm 1.7, MC (same vintage as the 1.4 above)
50mm 1.7, late MD x 2
50mm 3.5 macro, MC Celtic, (with rubberized focusing collar) + 1:1 extension tube
58mm 1.4, early MC (came with the SR-T 101)
85mm 1.7, early MD (my favorite lens; mechanically an MC with MD updates)
100mm 2.5, early MC
135mm 2.8 MD
200mm 4.0 late MD

Of these lenses, I used the 85 and the 28 for the vast majority of my shooting.

I have a Minolta angle-finder that, in my opinion, makes it a lot easier to use a camera with an eye-level finder on a tripod. It also reduces the needed amount of tripod extension.

- Murray
The Minolta angle finder is a quality piece of kit. When I spotted one for sale locally for just a few dollars last year I grabbed it.

A few years ago I handled the sale of a number of ALPA 35mm cameras and accessories. One accessory was a right angle finder for the 10 & 11 series including 11el, 11si. Apart from its mounting collar for the viewfinder, and an ALPA badge on the outside of the prism, (and, no doubt, its sticker price when new!), it was a Minolta angle finder made by Minolta for ALPA.

Old 01-06-2020   #740
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Difference is lens coating infused with either schnapps or saki.
The FSU lenses have coatings infused with vodka....problem is that the makers of these probably drank this vodka more than they applied it to their lenses during manufacture....this is going by the wildly shifting QC parameters of these lenses that I own.

Many of the same model of lens are average, some are plain dogs... and once in a while you run across a gem of a lens that can rival the best of the best.

Old 01-06-2020   #741
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
The Minolta angle finder is a quality piece of kit. When I spotted one for sale locally for just a few dollars last year I grabbed it.

A few years ago I handled the sale of a number of ALPA 35mm cameras and accessories. One accessory was a right angle finder for the 10 & 11 series including 11el, 11si. Apart from its mounting collar for the viewfinder, and an ALPA badge on the outside of the prism, (and, no doubt, its sticker price when new!), it was a Minolta angle finder made by Minolta for ALPA.
Hi Brett -

I bought my Minolta angle-finder new, some years back. I've read around the 'Net that it is an especially good one.

The one downside is that you have to refocus the eyepiece if you use the 2x magnification. (This is also true of a Canon angle-finder that I have.)

This finder corrects for left-to-right. An older Pentax angle-finder I have doesn't, so the viewed image in the Pentax is reversed.

- Murray

Old 01-07-2020   #742
Nokton48

001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This one is great as a wide angle grab and go. I sold my 21mm Leitz Super Angulon and my 19mm RF Canon, and replaced it with this red ringneck lizarded SRT101

That's a Voigtlander RF cloth strap, I have many of them

TomA Black softie and black hair tye keep me from accidentally losing frames.

Great shooter. Have pasted TomA XX exposure sheet on the back, use only XX cinema film for quite a while.