Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-14-2019   #121
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Every little area of that photo has an interesting part. I like the play of the ball, the kid looking at the camera, the kids up beyond the wall. That bike - looks like a Schwinn Sting Ray of the 1960's.

Thanks! Someone said that before about the bike. The picture was made in 1975 in Mantua, Italy.

What's so special about Schwinn Sting Ray bikes of the 1960's?

Erik.

Old 12-15-2019   #122
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
What's so special about Schwinn Sting Ray bikes of the 1960's?

Erik.

Behold!

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/stingray/

Old 12-15-2019   #123
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
I had one of these. They were going out of style in the 80's and we used to call them chopper bikes. The bigger seat made wheelies easy. Mine was replaced by an ESKA bike which came straight from behind the Iron Curtain - great bike too. My older brother had a 1963 Bismarck bike which he restored by himself.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-15-2019   #124
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Every little area of that photo has an interesting part. I like the play of the ball, the kid looking at the camera, the kids up beyond the wall. That bike - looks like a Schwinn Sting Ray of the 1960's.
+1, it's an excellent photo for the mentioned reasons.

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-15-2019   #125
Out to Lunch

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/stingray/ The ultimate dream bike for any kid during the late sixties, early seventies. Girls would attach tassels to the handlebars. A must for boys included an empty shoe polish can attached to the fork with a clothespin spinning through the spokes -producing an excellent rattle.

Old 12-15-2019   #126
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Nikkormat FTn, Nikkor H Auto 50mm f/2, TriX/D76, printed on AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

Quote:
+1, an excellent photo from a different time...

...and it was the time when a pro Nikon was in my dreams (I do not remeber which ) but I couldn't afford one...

On a different note I'm always impressed by the knowledge members of this forum have about cameras, lenses, their specs...it's always interesting to read and learn, thanks to all of you

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-15-2019   #127
Erik van Straten

OK, thanks all, now I know wich bike is ment.

This is also an early picture of me, from 1973, the reader of a Dutch reactionary newspaper, De Telegraaf.

Nikkormat FTn, Nikkor H Auto 50mm f/2, TriX/D76, printed on AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

Old 12-15-2019   #128
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I don’t think the meter less heads that are all the rage now were the primary choice back then.
Back in 1972, when I purchased my first Nikon F2, the meterless head was all that was available for the F2. At that time, metered heads were available for the F but not yet available for the F2.

Nikon F2 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 12-15-2019   #129
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Nikon F2S with MB-1 and MD-1 that I added later. It took me a while to find a nice MB-1 with a working analog meter. For the battery pack I wanted the meter version, not the LEDs.

The lens is a Nikkor 28-45/4.5 - nice looking, I think. I had a chance to add the similar looking 25-50/4 later and foolishly didn't buy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG7029-1~2.jpg (28.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG7030-1~3.jpg (37.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG7031-1~3.jpg (34.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 12-15-2019   #130
Ronald M

F2. Improved “guts” so it functions better, No battery.
I have 6, 4 chrome, 2 black, 2 Ai heads, 1 black plain head, 2 chrome plain heads, DP2 & 2 finders.

I rate these the ultimate cameras.

Old 12-16-2019   #131
Erik van Straten

Nikkormat FTn, Nikkor H Auto 50mm f/2, Trix/D76, printed on AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

Old 12-16-2019   #132
Erik van Straten

Nikkormat FTn, Nikkor H Auto 50mm f/2, 400-2TMY, printed on AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

Old 12-16-2019   #133
B-9
Devin Bro

That is an amazing shot Erik! What a chance moment.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-19-2019   #134
twvancamp
Thom

Not for the first time an RFF thread has cost me money. Found a good deal on a Nikon F user. It came with a 50/1.4, but here it is with the 28/2.8 I use most of the time. Really a lovely camera. Nice ding on the prism, but everything is in good working order.

Old 12-19-2019   #135
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvancamp View Post
Not for the first time an RFF thread has cost me money...
Helping others spend money - that's what we're here for; that's what "photography" forums are for: a positive feedback loop of talking about cameras, buying cameras, posting photos of cameras so we can talk about cameras...

Nice F, by the way...

Old 12-19-2019   #136
cary

Quote:
Not for the first time an RFF thread has cost me money. Found a good deal on a Nikon F user. It came with a 50/1.4, but here it is with the 28/2.8 I use most of the time. Really a lovely camera. Nice ding on the prism, but everything is in good working order.
Congrats on the F, you can never have too many.

Old 12-20-2019   #137
Smaug

Quote:
I made an offer on an F4. There's one on ebay now, with the smaller MB-20 battery pack. He's asking $220 WITH the 50/1.8 AF-D lens. I offered him $200, he counter-offered $215. I came to my senses and bought the 17/1.8 (34 mm eq.) for my Olympus µ4/3 system. (it will be my only fast prime)

I really don't NEED an F4; I just want one.

For my purposes, a Nikkormat, FM or FE2 would be an ideal 3rd camera. The N90s is the great AF camera, and the FG is nice, but actually a bit too small, sometimes. I "need" something a bit beefier, but maybe without being a tank.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 12-20-2019   #138
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
F4,
Clunky but really the winner for AI-AIS glass if you need Matrix Metering

My favorite as well.

Old 12-20-2019   #139
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
FM or FE2 would be an ideal 3rd camera.... the FG is nice, but actually a bit too small, sometimes. I "need" something a bit beefier..

I was never a fan of the FG; it just felt cheap and plasticy to me (the top plate actually is plastic, if I remember right, like that of the Canon AE-1). Try anything from the FM or FE family; you'll love it (and probably sell the FG).

Old 12-20-2019   #140
keytarjunkie

It's subjective, but this is my favorite combo. For people, I would probably choose the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 or Zeiss 50mm f/1.4.

Old 12-26-2019   #141
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottboarding View Post
The F3hp! I've never been that excited using a camera before. The film advance is so smooth, the stronger-then-most center weighted meter is fantastic, the VF is awesome, and it's great having aperture priority should I ever need it (haven't so far, but it's nice knowing it's there).
I like aperture priority more and more; just set the aperture and make sure the shutter speed is what you expect, instead of having to coordinate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
The original and the camera that revolutionized photojournalism is still my favorite, the Nikon F with plain prism. I have it combined with one of the best normal lenses ever made-55f3.5 Micro Nikkor. It actually does everything my film Leicas do and a few things they don't.

And those saying it has awkward film loading have obviously never used an M2/M3.
Well, just because an old Leica has HORRIBLE film loading doesn't mean the Nikon F's isn't bad. It just means it's not the worst.

Macro lenses are always super sharp, but f/3.5 is pretty slow for a "fast prime". It's almost two stops slower than a cheap 50/2, and almost three stops slower than a 1.4. Not a big deal, these days with our modern films, but in THOSE days, when ASA 400 was "fast", it was crippling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post

I've used the FM series cameras, and the killer on all those for me is the self timer hits my knuckle when I hold any of the variations of that camera, so without the MD-11 or MD-12, I find those cameras unusable.

Best,
-Tim
I grab the self timer sometimes on my FG when I've got a heavy lens mounted, but it's a lot smaller than an FM, FE, F2, etc.

Quote:

This thread is making me want a plain prism F! Though they're selling for more than I expected.
if you can forgo the clean prism look, an F with a non-functional metered prism is a LOT cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Mine was even less; right around $100 plus or minus a few dollars in 1979. I was fifteen and taking a photography class in high school and the old Minolta SR-1 I was using jammed while on a field trip, so the next weekend my dad took me to Bass Camera in Chicago to buy the K1000. A rare gesture on his part; if there hadn't been a school grade eventually associated with it I'd have been saving my nickels for a VERY long time to replace the Minolta!
Mine (K1000 SE) cost more because it was 1995 and not 1979. Inflation and such.

Quote:
I was never a fan of the FG; it just felt cheap and plasticy to me (the top plate actually is plastic, if I remember right, like that of the Canon AE-1). Try anything from the FM or FE family; you'll love it (and probably sell the FG).
You might be right, and I'm on the verge of buying an FE or FE2. The tiny FG with a pancake 50/1.8 mounted and set to P mode is almost a point & shoot camera. The only real problem is that the small and light body becomes a DISadvantage when a heavier or longer lens is mounted. For example, my Tokina AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5 is long-ish and heavy-ish and camera handling suffers as a result. Try to use a polarizer with it and it becomes downright slow and fiddly.

If I do sell an FG, I'll keep one on hand for my daughter, when she's old enough to take an interest.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 12-26-2019   #142
Smaug

Just bought a used FE2 from usedphotopro. I found myself wanting an F3 after reading this thread, but after some soul-searching, the FE2 is a better fit for my needs.

I'll miss the bigger finder, but I do occasionally use flash and hate the ridiculous flash mounting of the F, F2 and F3.

I prefer the film advance feel of the FE2 to that of the F3. That's dumb, I know, but we're talking about manual focus film cameras here. We're not exactly in it for the efficiency.

Old 12-26-2019   #143
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

By far the F6 is my fave of all the Nikon film cameras followed by the F3 or FM3 and lastly the F2.

https://www.nikonimages.com/camera/F6

www.leicaimages.com
www.ZeissImages.com
www.l-mountimages.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 12-26-2019   #144
ktmrider

I don't remember the 55f3.5 Micro Nikkor being "crippling" back in the early 1970's when I was a working newspaper photographer. F3.5 is only half a stop slower than f2.8 and both the 24f2.8 and 180f2.8 were part of my arsenal. The 180f2.8 was considered super fast and was my standard for night high school and college football. The 180f2.8 was double or triple the price of the 200f4 or 300f4.5. And I believe f2.8 marks "professional" zooms these days.

It was and still is an amazing lens along with the 24f2.8 and 85f1.8. I did not even own a 50.

Old 12-26-2019   #145
Huss

Quote:
Just bought a used FE2 from usedphotopro. I found myself wanting an F3 after reading this thread, but after some soul-searching, the FE2 is a better fit for my needs.

I'll miss the bigger finder, but I do occasionally use flash and hate the ridiculous flash mounting of the F, F2 and F3.

I prefer the film advance feel of the FE2 to that of the F3. That's dumb, I know, but we're talking about manual focus film cameras here. We're not exactly in it for the efficiency.
I wouldn't have sold my FE2 if it hadn't started to develop electrical issues, it is such a nice camera. I prefer it to my FM2n. And yes the film advance has a much nicer feel to my F3s which feel loose and floppy. I never understood why people think the F3's feels good. (I have two - F3P and F3 Ltd).

But there is just that something about using an F3. Weird because the FE2 actually has better specs.

Old 12-26-2019   #146
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
I just noticed the UD designation. That's an 11 element lens! UD = uni + deca = 1 + 10. Nikon engineers likely produced this lens with the idea of correcting or minimizing optical issues. It's a nice looking lens.

Quote:

You won't miss the F3. I have two F3/T's and, while solid, I hate the shutter speed LCD display of the F3. I have an FE2 as well and it's more fun to use.

Quote:
... I never understood why people think the F3's feels good. (I have two - F3P and F3 Ltd).
My camera repair friend told me the wind lever on all F3's wobble. I assured him mine were as solid as a rock. When I got home, sure enough, there is a slight up-down wobble to the lever on both of the F3/T's. In 20 years of using the cameras, I'd never noticed it.

The camera feels solid and the winding itself is smooth, however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG8537_1m1.jpg (37.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG8537_1m2.jpg (40.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG8470-1_1m1.jpg (29.1 KB, 9 views)

Old 12-27-2019   #147
css9450

Quote:
I just noticed the UD designation. That's an 11 element lens! UD = uni + deca = 1 + 10. Nikon engineers likely produced this lens with the idea of correcting or minimizing optical issues. It's a nice looking lens.

Thanks! I was fortunate to find it at a swap meet; the barrel shows a lot of use but the glass is perfect and it has the official Nikon AI-conversion ring on it so it works on all my cameras. It was my only 20mm until 2008 when I bought an AF 20 since it would be able to meter on my DSLR.

Its funny about the F3 wind levers. They sure are different than almost everything else... I think like the others have mentioned, its kind of loose and floppy. My preference by far would be the FMs and FEs which have the very best tactile feel of them all, even better than the pro models like the F and F2.

Of course, back in the heyday of the F3, I bet the majority of them were used with the MD4 motordrives anyway...

Old 12-27-2019   #148
Smaug

Quote:
I don't remember the 55f3.5 Micro Nikkor being "crippling" back in the early 1970's when I was a working newspaper photographer. F3.5 is only half a stop slower than f2.8 and both the 24f2.8 and 180f2.8 were part of my arsenal. The 180f2.8 was considered super fast and was my standard for night high school and college football. The 180f2.8 was double or triple the price of the 200f4 or 300f4.5. And I believe f2.8 marks "professional" zooms these days.

It was and still is an amazing lens along with the 24f2.8 and 85f1.8. I did not even own a 50.
Thanks for the historical perspective.

f/2.8 is the pro standard for zooms and long telephotos. For "normal" focal length, it is considered quite slow. I believe 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 were common even in the early 70s, no?

What I'm getting at is this: Why did you opt to give up 2.5 stops of speed (which is a lot) for a bit of extra sharpness that will likely not be seen in a newspaper photo? Especially in that era of slower, grainier films?

Old 12-27-2019   #149
splitimageview

2.8 was considered a fast lens back in the day...bear in mind, Kodachrome was originally ASA 10...

Just keeping things in perspective.

Old 12-27-2019   #150
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
2.8 was considered a fast lens back in the day...bear in mind, Kodachrome was originally ASA 10...

Just keeping things in perspective.
2.8 was considered fast for a 50? For a wide angle or short telephoto, yes, but for a normal prime?

Granted, I wasn't alive, (doesn't mean I'm wrong) which is why I'm being so inquisitive, but 50/1.4 Nikkors from that era are common. Yashica RFs all had f/1.4 to f/1.8 40-45 mm lenses. Same with Konicas and Canons. Standard Nifty-Fifties were f/1.8.

Old 12-27-2019   #151
splitimageview

F/1.4 was ultra fast.

F/2.8 was fast.

Old 12-27-2019   #152
css9450

Technically, almost everything was fast if there was still a 50/f3.5 left in the bargain bin.

Old 12-27-2019   #153
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
F/1.4 was ultra fast.

F/2.8 was fast.
2.8 was never fast for a 50. A zoom or tele lens perhaps.
Normal lenses were 2.0/1.8, with the 1.4 being fast.

But the 55 2.8 and 3.5 are macro lenses so while normal-ish they are different. And superb.

Old 12-27-2019   #154
Huss

Quote:

My camera repair friend told me the wind lever on all F3's wobble. I assured him mine were as solid as a rock. When I got home, sure enough, there is a slight up-down wobble to the lever on both of the F3/T's. In 20 years of using the cameras, I'd never noticed it.

The camera feels solid and the winding itself is smooth, however.
Quote:

Its funny about the F3 wind levers. They sure are different than almost everything else... I think like the others have mentioned, its kind of loose and floppy. My preference by far would be the FMs and FEs which have the very best tactile feel of them all, even better than the pro models like the F and F2.

Of course, back in the heyday of the F3, I bet the majority of them were used with the MD4 motordrives anyway...
As others have mentioned, the F3 has ball bearings in its wind mechanism to make the action super light and rapid. I guess for pros who did not have the MD4. The downside is it makes it floppy.
The action on the FM/E series is much nicer and more solid, while cameras like the Minolta XE-5 and Leica R8/9 just feel incredible in comparison.

But the F3 w/ MD4 feels absolutely incredible in hand. MD4s are cheap and totally worth it.

Old 12-27-2019   #155
Smaug

Quote:
MD4s are cheap and totally worth it.
Yes, it's mostly a question of weight and noise.

I usually prefer the tactile experience of advancing and rewinding the film by hand. Somehow, it's very satisfying.

Old 12-27-2019   #156
Huss

Quote:
Yes, it's mostly a question of weight and noise.

I usually prefer the tactile experience of advancing and rewinding the film by hand. Somehow, it's very satisfying.
Definitely! As long as it is a sweet short lever throw (unlike my Minolta SR1s which has a really long throw) and definitely not a thumb wheel or knob.

Old 12-27-2019   #157
css9450

Quote:
MD4s are cheap and totally worth it.
On a related note: A few years ago (well, maybe 8 or 9 years ago), I bought an MD15 motordrive for my FA, just to have one. I saw B&H still had them in stock, brand new! So I had to have one...

The FA was interesting because it could use either the MD11 or MD12 or its own unique MD15. With the MD15, it had the ability to draw power from the motordrive, so even if the camera's battery died, it could still function in all modes with the AAs in the motordrive.

Next roll of film I shoot, I really ought to do it with the FA.

Old 12-27-2019   #158
ktmrider

I did not use the 55f3.5 Micro Nikkor as part of my "pro kit". I carried two Nikon's with motors (one an F and one an FTN) plus 24f2.8, 85f1.8, 180f2.8 and a 500f8 mirror lens. I had access to a Micro Nikkor and a 300f4.5. I did not even own a normal lens at the time and did not miss it.

I had used a 55f3.5 Micro during that era and knew how good it was. When I reacquired a very nice plain prism F for nostalgia, I opted to keep the lenses limited in number. I have a 50f1.4 and the Micro Nikkor. When I take the F out (not that often), it usually wears the Micro Nikkor.

Old 12-28-2019   #159
Doug A

Quote:
I had used a 55f3.5 Micro during that era and knew how good it was. When I reacquired a very nice plain prism F for nostalgia, I opted to keep the lenses limited in number. I have a 50f1.4 and the Micro Nikkor. When I take the F out (not that often), it usually wears the Micro Nikkor.
Add a 105/2.5 and that's my Nikon kit.

Old 12-28-2019   #160
Huss

Posing with the Lomo lens set: