Old 11-27-2019   #41
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Doubt it as Nikon improved on the design and construction in many areas on those re-releases when it would have been easier to make them the same.

Such as the stainless strap-lug inserts? I can't think of too many other improvements on the re-issues. The wind lever is more robust too if that makes a difference. Most of the other changes on the re-issues were minor such as 24 vs. 20 exposures, ISO vs. ASA, etc.

The fabric vs. titanium shutter curtain choice is one of those black/white issues that would have disappointed 50% of the purchasers no matter which one they chose to do. Had they made the re-issues with titanium curtains people would grumble because they weren't silk like the originals.

Old 11-27-2019   #42
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

The big question though is how much does this cost?

Old 11-27-2019   #43
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Such as the stainless strap-lug inserts? I can't think of too many other improvements on the re-issues. The wind lever is more robust too if that makes a difference. Most of the other changes on the re-issues were minor such as 24 vs. 20 exposures, ISO vs. ASA, etc.

The fabric vs. titanium shutter curtain choice is one of those black/white issues that would have disappointed 50% of the purchasers no matter which one they chose to do. Had they made the re-issues with titanium curtains people would grumble because they weren't silk like the originals.
Differences listed here (including brighter vf and rf)

https://www.cameraquest.com/nrfblsp2005.htm

Old 11-27-2019   #44
css9450

Quote:

Sounds like the brighter viewfinder was an improvement between 2000 and 2005; a running change so to speak.

Old 11-27-2019   #45
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
The big question though is how much does this cost?
They quoted me 100, I provided the donor F2 body which was about $20.

For reference, Youxin charges $185 for cloth curtains, and about $60 on top of CLA cost to install them.

Old 11-27-2019   #46
MrBern

Theres a youtube post from a blogger who had UKCameraworks install the nikon titanium shutter in his M3.
Judge the sound for yourself
https://youtu.be/MTVp39ycnBo

and heres his blogpost on the Titanium shutters
https://www.35mmc.com/22/07/2018/lei...hutter_upgrade

Last edited by MrBern : 11-27-2019 at 13:38. Reason: typo & added a link

Old 11-27-2019   #47
splitimageview

Ti actually seems a bit quieter, but so close as to be irrelevant

Old 11-27-2019   #48
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Doubt it as Nikon improved on the design and construction in many areas on those re-releases when it would have been easier to make them the same.
Huss, you need to go reread those reissue Nikon RF articles you linked recently lol

"they aimed to achieve a faithful reproduction to the original"

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/ch...y-sp/index.htm

It would actually have been harder to make the reissues identical to the originals. Changes in design (other than cosmetic ones such as ASA > ISO) and materials are due to the fact that Nikon used materials that were available at the time (as apposed to materials that were available 40+ years earlier when the originals were manufactured).

Quote:

Quoted from the linked CameraQuest page:

"The limited edition black Nikon SP 2005 is a reproduction of the original 1957 Nikon SP except for minor details."

A brighter VF and RF is the result of modern materials and tighter manufacturing tolerances, and the difference is minimal.

Old 11-27-2019   #49
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
They quoted me 100, I provided the donor F2 body which was about $20.

For reference, Youxin charges $185 for cloth curtains, and about $60 on top of CLA cost to install them.
I assume those are new, original Leica curtains. Not used ones.
He also doesn't seat on Leica for more than one year, I heard of.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=163836

Old 11-27-2019   #50
splitimageview

Considering the unique work that the Starkies offer that no one else does, it’s not surprising they have lead times, as do all the respected techs like Lazarri and DAG. The former has had two Leicas of mine since February; he quoted ten weeks. As of June, I was 67th in line; as of today, it’s now 48th in line...and it’s at week 42...I’ve known DAG to take upwards of a year on some work.

The price is just reference, most techs likely charge more than Youxin. One would need to inquire as to the manufacturer of the curtains but I seriously doubt it is Leica. What does Leica NJ charge for curtains on film Ms?

Old 12-02-2019   #51
splitimageview

And, a view of the new shutter curtains with the camera put back together. Originally this was a chrome M5, now it's refinished in dark gray Cerakote.