Nikon F2 vs Leica with no meter
Old 11-14-2019   #1
besk

I own a nice Nikon F2 with plain prism and with a Maxwell enhanced F3 screen fitted.

Other than having a quiet shutter and being a little smaller it keeps me wondering why someone would choose one of the meterless M models over a Nikon F2.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2019   #2
cjm

Rangefinder focusing. It's a totally different experience than focusing SLR's. The low light capabilities of rangefinder focusing keeps me firmly in the rangefinder world. You've been a member for 12 years so I assume you have used a rangefinder camera. What do you prefer?

Old 11-14-2019   #3
besk

Excellent consideration. I own a M6 and have owned two M2's in the past. The rangefinder is somewhat easier to focus in lower light situations. But the framing accuracy of the F2 is so much better.

Old 11-14-2019   #4
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I can easily pop on my DP12 if I want a TTL meter.
I can stick a very fast lens longer than 135mm on my F2 and not ever worry about focus accuracy.
The F2 is a better weapon. It's more mechanically reliable in my experience.
The F2 is far easier to load.
I can't easily burn a hole in the F2 shutter.
Unmatched range of shutter speeds in any other mechanical camera.
But I still own and use a Leica M4, and I love it.
Phil Forrest

Old 11-14-2019   #5
jim_jm

Also, the Leica is quite a bit lighter. The lenses are usually smaller as well. One main advantage of the Nikon is not needing an external VF for really short or long lenses.
I often carry both types with me, a Leica M2 along with a plain-prism F or F2. No problem switching back and forth between them. The M2 with a 35mm lens is a perfect combination, and I'll usually have a 24mm or 105mm lens on the Nikon. Just personal preference.

Old 11-14-2019   #6
cjm

Agree, and I have been considering getting an F2 for the same reason. As others have said, it just comes down to personal preference. I have used an M2 for the last 10 years and its not because I believe it is objectively better than the alternatives. I simply enjoy using it and like the results.

Old 11-14-2019   #7
Larry Cloetta

Both is good.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 11-14-2019   #8
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by besk View Post

Other than having a quiet shutter and being a little smaller it keeps me wondering why someone would choose one of the meterless M models over a Nikon F2.
They’re such different beasts it’s never occurred to me to compare the two...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 11-14-2019   #9
splitimageview

The SLR vs RF discussion been around for 60+ years, meter or no meter....

Old 11-14-2019   #10
BillBlackwell

Quote:
I own a nice Nikon F2 with plain prism and with a Maxwell enhanced F3 screen fitted.

Quote:
Excellent consideration. I own a M6 and have owned two M2's in the past. The rangefinder is somewhat easier to focus in lower light situations. But the framing accuracy of the F2 is so much better.
What is the point of your question? It seems as if you've had some good experience with both.

I've also owned Nikon F and Leica (both M and R) cameras over the years and much prefer the Leica M experience. There's really no rational answer I can give you for that though.

Old 11-14-2019   #11
css9450

The F2 is a beautiful piece of machinery, engraved like fine jewelry, and my favorite camera of all time.

I would probably get banned if I mentioned what I think an M looks like.

Old 11-14-2019   #12
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Truth be told, a truly mint condition black paint F2 or F2 Titan are among the very few cameras I actually desire very much. Not anything from Leica stirs that in me. They are all just tools but that F2 holds a higher place for me personally.
Phil Forrest

Old 11-14-2019   #13
ktmrider

Don't go with a substitute F2 but the original F. For film, it and an M2 is all you need. All you have to do is look at the portraits of the photojournalists who covered the Vietnam War starting with David Douglas Duncan or Larry Burrows.

Am kidding as either the F, F2 or F3 are great cameras. I owned and used each. However, I have a soft spot for the original which helped me pay my way through college. Have never owed F4 or later versions so I won't comment about their capabilities.

Old 11-14-2019   #14
Huss

I have the F, F2 etc and Leica Ms.

And they all are great. Interestingly ALL my old Nikon glass have a dry focus feel, while ALL my old Leica lenses feel perfect.

Old 11-14-2019   #15
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It is irrelevant which SLR you own. Or is it question of what to own? If so, sure. It is good to own F2. One of the best builds, lenses are plenty and not expensive. And you could play with focus screens. I wrote all of this and I want one already!

Now, what I'm going to do with it. My plastic EOS with L lenses is much easy to use than any old mechanical camera, lenses I own(ed).
The use. Are you into the use or just owning it?
I'm actually more into the use.

I do not take static shots of flowers or else which is typically taken with SLR. Or at least I'm trying to
I take my M (mechanical) with me everyday. I wear it on me everyday. F2 is the weight suitable for self suicidal drowning, M is for walking all day. Do you have all metal 35mm lens which weight significantly less than 200 gm for your F2?
F2 has no frames to see what is happening. F2 has VF in the middle, so your noise is smashed, mine is breathing. And my both eyes could be open. Try to walk with your F2 and take picture of someone walking towards you at f 5.6 with 35mm lens. No, just try to see what is around you with F2. From your shoes to infinity.

See, M not just for everyone. I mean, were are many with M taking pictures which are better taken with SLRs, but for few of us any SLR is problematic due to specifics of use.

Old 11-14-2019   #16
Ccoppola82

I use an m2 and m6 as my daily shooters and an Eos 1v for action. The M’s are Light and silent. I ran into a situation where I knew I would be beating the crap out of a film body but needed it to be relatively portable (the 1v is not) so I ended up getting a cracking deal on an F3 Hp with a selection of lenses. It’s honestly a beautiful camera and it’s the only SLR I’ve used that “calls me” to shoot As much as the M’s. The pros for the f3 is the faster shutter and quick metering/ AV mode should I choose to be lazy. Also exp comp is nice. I grab it when I don’t care much about what I’m shooting and might get into a situation where it’s stolen or broken. The cons are that it’s way more difficult to focus in low light, and after being spoiled by the M shutter click, the mirror SLAPS. I’m definitely glad I have both systems and glad that I nabbed the Nikon gear for an absolute steal.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 11-14-2019   #17
CharlesDAMorgan

My F2AS is a thing of glory, but sits unused while my M5 is now my camera of choice. The metering on the latter is simple and obvious, the ergonomics are better and I can use 4 stop neutral density filters and red filters and still see my subject, and it weighs 150g less.

And if I do want to use a heavy SLR I prefer my Leicaflex SL2. Same ease of use, excellent meter and ergonomics and one of the best viewfinders this side of a Rolleiflex. Amazingly, the SL2 is 90g lighter too!

Most of the weight of the F2AS is in that prism, which also makes rewinding a bore such is its shape, and the whole thing hangs forward, especially with a normal size plus lens on it. I've now persuaded myself to sell it!

What takes better photos is entirely dependent on the photographer of course...

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 11-14-2019   #18
PunkFunkDunk

Interesting premise. I owned a F2AS for most of 2018 and she was glorious for mechanical perfection and durability. But sold and returned to the M6. Main reasons: 1) Not a rangefinder. 2) Focuses backwards (compared to Leica and Canon). 3) Lenses too big (excluding the gorgeous CV 40/2). 4) Zeiss ZM sonnar only for M mount (favourite all time lens). So instead for my SLR option I got a Canon New F-1. Prefer the ergonomics to the Nikon and just as robust in build but with the option of aperture priority exposure when needed (and mechanical for the most used speeds).

Old 11-15-2019   #19
gavinlg

The F2 is like a hammer, the Leica is like a scalpel.

Both are lovely. I take better photos with the Leica.

Old 11-15-2019   #20
valdas

I have both and both have pros and cons vis-a-vis each other. If the question is why M6 then:
- Smaller (especially with lenses)
- Lighter (especially with lenses)
- Silent shutter
- No mirror vibration at slow speeds

Old 12-16-2019   #21
Bike Tourist

For many years the F2AS was my favorite Nikon. It could do almost anything well. But, this is the 21st Century. No matter how nostalgic I become over the F2AS or M3, I wouldn't trade them for my D810 and M262.

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 12-16-2019   #22
rumbliegeos

This really is an old debate. I own both because they do different things well. My F2 is useful for shooting small things at short distances, and for shooting telephotos longer than 90mm. And as said above, for precise framing. Focusing with wide angle lenses in low light is not its strong suit. My M2 works well for that, and for other kinds of general photography.

Old 12-16-2019   #23
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Update on my side.

I have F2 for second week and FTn for more than three weeks with me, walking on the streets.
It is still, much more difficult for me to focus with those SLRs, as with any manual focus SLR. Even split prism on F2 is nowhere near my M4-2 RF focusing convenience and how much faster it is for focusing.
F2 shutter speed dial is crap comparing to Leica and so is film advance mechanism. Both parts are crude comparing to my M4-2.

What I like about F2 and FTn? They are dirt cheap. Lenses are dirt cheap as well.
Only plain prism for F2 price sucks, but it is nowhere near how much they want for each focal length VF.
Dirt cheap cameras and lenses, which producing same images as $$$ Leica and $$$ lenses. As long as you are willing to spend time to focus these rigs.

This is why I have 20mm and 28mm F mount lenses. Even 35mm lens is too narrow for street photography I practice with Nikon's SLRs.

I also like how they feel. Heavy, but for some reason it is not difficult to walk with, comparing to my EOS rigs. F2 is heavy, but it is flat, just as M4-2 is. In fact, I have F2 and FTn in the bag with me every day and then I walk with one of the two is on my chest. Some are recognizing them as cameras they have, some are saying how they like these cameras. With Leica I feel like a snob, with Nikon I'm more comfortable.

Old 12-16-2019   #24
splitimageview

Can you explain what you specifically are referring to with regards to ‘crap shutter speed dial?’

In my experience the only M dial of any note is the M5’s.

Old 12-16-2019   #25
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I could rotate my M4-2 with light touch if my index finger. In any direction. It is small and elegant. Shutter dial of my M4-2 .
F2 dial is much taller, with much more resistance.

Old 12-16-2019   #26
splitimageview

I’ve never owned or handled any M dial that was loose enough to do that...out of hundreds

Old 12-16-2019   #27
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
It is still, much more difficult for me to focus with those SLRs, as with any manual focus SLR. Even split prism on F2 is nowhere near my M4-2 RF focusing convenience and how much faster it is for focusing.

Focusing with the RF patch ain't no picnic depending on light and contrast, but I thought most people shooting Leicas were just pre-focusing (or zone focusing) anyway? Try those techniques on the F2 sometime; the vintage lenses from that era had a nice long focus throw. You'll probably like it.

Old 12-16-2019   #28
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
I could rotate my M4-2 with light touch if my index finger. In any direction.
Yes. And that is true of the M5 as well.

Old 12-16-2019   #29
CharlesDAMorgan

For the fun of it I've just handled the M5, the M3 and the F2AS. The former requires light to medium single index finger force, the middle medium, and the Nikon two fingers.

I suppose absent a accepted definition of finger torque, I suspect this debate might go nowhere!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 12-16-2019   #30
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Focusing with the RF patch ain't no picnic depending on light and contrast, but I thought most people shooting Leicas were just pre-focusing (or zone focusing) anyway? Try those techniques on the F2 sometime; the vintage lenses from that era had a nice long focus throw. You'll probably like it.
Zone focusing with Nikon lenses is no go for Leica or any RF shooter as me.
Lens rotates in the wrong direction. But I have 20mm which is non Nikon and they did it right. I ordered same correct 28mm yesterday instead of Nikon 28.
What I like in Nikon mount lenses, none of them as stiff as many RF lenses.
Lenses I have are light and smooth to rotate for focus.
In fact, I prefer short focus scale. The reason to scale focus is to react for the quick happening on the street. Long focus travel is no good for it.
Medium to short is the best. I planning to install focus tab, once I know with which lens I will settle with.
I'm also planning to make 20mm VF plate which will go to F2 prism holder.
These two mods and mirror up will bring me back to normal .

Old 12-16-2019   #31
narsuitus

Quote:

For decades, I used an SLR 35mm system and a rangefinder 35mm system. The two systems compliment each other.

I needed the SLR when shooting ultra wide angle, long telephoto, zoom lenses, macro, perspective control, and fisheye.

I primarily used the rangefinder when I needed the quiet shutter when shooting theatre, golf, street, and recording studios.

Therefore, since size and weight were not that important to me, the relatively quiet shutter was the only reason I would choose one of the meterless M models over a meterless Nikon F2.

Leica M6 & Nikon F2 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 12-16-2019   #32
presspass
filmshooter

If you're willing to accept the limitations of either style, both will do the same thing. Want a long lens on an M2? Visoflex II or III and lenses up to 800mm are available. Want a normal-wide fast lens? Nikon has a very nice 35 f1.4. I have meterless Leicas, although I prefer the M6 or the MP. I have an F2 with a plain prism but prefer the one with the Sb meter. The Nikon lenses tend to be more contrasty, but if you use the earlier F2 meters, you can use either Ais or pre-Ai lenses. The pre-Ai lenses are less expensive and the ones I have tame the contrast a bit better.

Old 12-16-2019   #33
giganova

Quote:

What a weird question. The M is a rangefinder and hence quite a different beast. Plus, much quieter, smaller body, smaller lenses, lighter, great glass.

Old 12-16-2019   #34
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I have a plain prism Nikon F and a Leica M4-2. Both are excellent cameras and I have excellent lenses for both.

I pick which one I want to use based upon my whim of the moment. And what lens I want to use. The major difference between them in terms of what I see in the negatives all comes down to the different lenses. They're not so different to use, in the hand, and both are capable of making excellent photographs. The Leica is less versatile, potentially, but I have more different lenses for it than I have for the Nikon. So it's a complete toss up.

Neither camera cost me a "lot" of money and, at this point, the Leica and its lenses would return more if I decide to sell it ... But that's largely an academic debate since I have no particular intention of selling either. (I also have a Leicaflex SL and a Leica R6.2 along with a complement of lenses for them, same deal...)

Questions like this are pretty much a bunch of amusing navel gazing anyway. The only reason to have these nice old cameras is because you like them and want to use them. If you like to shoot 35mm film, pick any camera(s) you like along with lenses that you like, and go forth to enjoy it.

G

Old 12-16-2019   #35
splitimageview

Quote:
Zone focusing with Nikon lenses is no go for Leica or any RF shooter as me.
Lens rotates in the wrong direction. But I have 20mm which is non Nikon and they did it right. I ordered same correct 28mm yesterday instead of Nikon 28.
What I like in Nikon mount lenses, none of them as stiff as many RF lenses.
Lenses I have are light and smooth to rotate for focus.
In fact, I prefer short focus scale. The reason to scale focus is to react for the quick happening on the street. Long focus travel is no good for it.
I'm not following this.

Zone or scale focus is pre-set, that's what makes it so useful for street shooting. Doesn't matter what the focus direction is, no need for quick reactions, as it's already set...confused...

Old 12-16-2019   #36
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
For the fun of it I've just handled the M5, the M3 and the F2AS. The former requires light to medium single index finger force, the middle medium, and the Nikon two fingers.
I've never handled an M where the shutter dial could be rotated with one finger, except for M5s.

Old 12-16-2019   #37
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
I'm not following this.

Zone or scale focus is pre-set, that's what makes it so useful for street shooting. Doesn't matter what the focus direction is, no need for quick reactions, as it's already set...confused...
I think some are misleading and confusing zones focusing and focusing at hyperfocal distance where it allows to have maximum DOF.

Here is setting your rig as fixed focus camera at hyperfocal distance, which will works with small apertures and wide lenses only.
And then here is zone focusing. Zone means not entire coverage, but by the zones.
Even with 20mm lens and f4 I have three zones at least. Close, middle and far where it is only in focus. Only one zone is in focus. Short focus throw and focus tab allows quick switching among these focus zones.

With constant practice and using of the same rig, it is possible to zone focus at f2.8 of 35mm lens.

Also some cameras have zones focusing marks. Like Olympus Trip and Smena. One person, group portrait and building. Those are focusing zones icons, marks.

Old 12-16-2019   #38
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I've never handled an M where the shutter dial could be rotated with one finger, except for M5s.
I had M3 DS ELC, M4-P and M4-2. All switchable by one finger. M3 was OK (just more stiff), M4-P was OK only for nearby speeds.
But my M4-2 has least resistance. This is why I'm not in the rush to change it. It has been in service three times, I'd rather send it for service again. Or sell it and use just Nikon.

Old 12-16-2019   #39
splitimageview

Quote:
I think some are misleading and confusing zones focusing and focusing at hyperfocal distance where it allows to have maximum DOF.

Here is setting your rig as fixed focus camera at hyperfocal distance, which will works with small apertures and wide lenses only.
And then here is zone focusing. Zone means not entire coverage, but by the zones.
Even with 20mm lens and f4 I have three zones at least. Close, middle and far where it is only in focus. Only one zone is in focus. Short focus throw and focus tab allows quick switching among these focus zones.

With constant practice and using of the same rig, it is possible to zone focus at f2.8 of 35mm lens.

Also some cameras have zones focusing marks. Like Olympus Trip and Smena. One person, group portrait and building. Those are focusing zones icons, marks.
OK, for your 20mm, what are the zone ranges? How do you quickly move from one zone to another?

Old 12-16-2019   #40
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
OK, for your 20mm, what are the zone ranges? How do you quickly move from one zone to another?
It depends how small the aperture is. Most of the lenses have not only focus scale, but DOF scale depending on the aperture size. Studying correlation of both will tell you how many zones you have.

At F3.8 my 20mm have:
infinity to 2 meters and two meters to 0.8 meter zones. I do use both.
And I do use f3.8 because on my photo walks after work it is dark. It is f3.8 1/30 3200 @6400 dark.

Now, how quick. The quickest method is by focus tab. Normally I prefer f8-f11. With medium focus throw lenses it is three zones. Close, middle and far.
If lens doesn't have focus tab, I add one. To have middle focus zone at 6PM of the focus tab position.
If lens is normal, not Nikkor - left is always close, far is always right zone. Leica M or Vivital F lens, doesn't matter.

With Leica and tabbed lens I switch between three zones without looking, during bringing my camera from my chest to my right eye. It is about one second.
Position of the focus tab is the zone. I don't need to look at the lens to switch focus zones, if lens is tabbed well .