Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

digital body for J12
Old 11-13-2019   #1
NorpA

digital body for J12

Hi there,
it is something like seven years I keep in the back of my brain this desire. I have an outstanding J12, currently coupled with a nice blue FED2. The combo is a nice performing machine, simply I am not using it so much as I should. Is there any body that can welcome this lens? I am also open to sacrifice the 35mm on a cropped sensor. What I would like to maintain is the full manual mindset (not auto-iso, not auto-shutter speed), I don't even care about pixel peaking, but I do care about immediate reaction when pressing the shutter button (zero latency).

Old 11-13-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Any mirrorles camera will take it. To me any Leica M makes most sense, since it is RF lens.
My J12 is from 1950 and it is sharp on M and has less distortion than modern Leica lens.

Old 11-13-2019   #3
css9450

Sony A7.

Use extreme caution if you're using any sort of crop-sensor camera; some have a plastic frame (or something?) around the sensor which will interfere.

Old 11-13-2019   #4
NorpA

Thanks gents, @Ko.Fe. indeed you nailed the point my GAS is kind of pushing me towards M8

Old 11-13-2019   #5
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorpA View Post
Thanks gents, @Ko.Fe. indeed you nailed the point my GAS is kind of pushing me towards M8
M8? That lens would then become an almost 50mm lens and you'd lose what you like so much about it.
M240. Used prices are close to M9 but the camera is much much more responsive and reliable (as well as the RF is much more stable.)
I disagree about using something like an A7 because focusing requires magnifying, then going back to full view which completely takes away from the instantaneous experience.

Old 11-13-2019   #6
Huss

Of course the korrekt answer would be to buy the new digital Zenit M.

Old 11-13-2019   #7
retinax

Whatever you decide, make sure to try it before you spend lots of money. Results from that lens might not look as nice on digital as they do on film, and you might not like the workflow, especially focussing.

Old 11-13-2019   #8
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

These are from my first A7 (which did not have a Kolari sensor modification, for using M/LTM wides without vignetting or smearing). I share them to demonstrate that a first generation A7 can handle the J12.

I have not used my J12 on my digital Ms; maybe someone else who has done do can share their discoveries.

http://rhl.photography

Old 11-13-2019   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
M8? That lens would then become an almost 50mm lens and you'd lose what you like so much about it.
M240. Used prices are close to M9 but the camera is much much more responsive and reliable (as well as the RF is much more stable.)
I disagree about using something like an A7 because focusing requires magnifying, then going back to full view which completely takes away from the instantaneous experience.
I used Color Skopar and J-12 on M8. Don't know why, but it was not limiting me as any 50 on M-E. Maybe because 35mm on M8 is closer to 45mm.

https://youtu.be/9ICagFUrDOc?t=332

Our Toronto based RFF member is using A7S MKII with M lenses in the dancing and music establishments.
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for....php?p=2831992

Old 11-14-2019   #10
NorpA

wait a second, what about sigma fp... maybe in one/two years when it will be forgotten by many. Interesting, I love long term plan.

Old 11-14-2019   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorpA View Post
wait a second, what about sigma fp... maybe in one/two years when it will be forgotten by many. Interesting, I love long term plan.
No VF so will be very difficult to focus in bright outdoors light.

But Steve Huff raves about it so it must be awesome!