Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Let's see some 8x11 (mm) shots!
Old 07-06-2019   #1
jpchopper

Let's see some 8x11 (mm) shots!

Looking to see some examples!

Lacking a proper film scanner, I've been getting decent results using a smartphone, with either a Minox slide viewer, or a 20x clip on macro.
I'm decently happy with my results, but if anyone knows a scanner that's exceptional, please do let me know! (Thinking about a Canoscan 9000F atm)

Anyway. Here's some of my favorites.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2019   #2
retinax

Pretty cool! I'd go the DSLR scanning route. There are several threads on the topic. For the tiny negs, you'd need bellows and normal macro or maybe a wide angle. Should give you much better resolution than any scanner short of drum scanning. And I think nicely resolved, prominent and sharp grain is the real attraction of the format.

Old 07-06-2019   #3
jpchopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Pretty cool! I'd go the DSLR scanning route. There are several threads on the topic. For the tiny negs, you'd need bellows and normal macro or maybe a wide angle. Should give you much better resolution than any scanner short of drum scanning. And I think nicely resolved, prominent and sharp grain is the real attraction of the format.
Thanks! At some point that may be the route I take, for sure; for the moment though, DSLRs are in unicorn territory for my budget. I'll pounce when the right opportunity comes along.

Old 07-06-2019   #4
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchopper View Post
Thanks! At some point that may be the route I take, for sure; for the moment though, DSLRs are in unicorn territory for my budget. I'll pounce when the right opportunity comes along.

An older DSLR or mirrorless and bellows and cobbling together something to hold the negatives will be cheaper AND better for this than a half-decent scanner. Remember that with these tiny negatives, you can only use a fraction of the resolution that a 35mm scanner provides, but with the right lens all the resolution of digital camera.

Old 07-06-2019   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've done a lot of Minox 8x11mm photography over the years.

Even a 4000 ppi scanner will only net lowish resolution photographs from Minox 8x11mm negatives: a 4000 ppi scan of an 8x11 negative nets a 1260x1732 pixel image, about 2.2 Pixels. Printed at 240 ppi, that nets an image area of 5.25 x 7.25 inches, and the negative better be very sharp and clean for it to look good.

I switched to a 24 Mpixel copy camera setup. This is the Leica SL I used to use, with Leica Focusing Bellows-R and Summicron-R 50mm lens to do Minox negatives:

This setup nets enough magnification to obtain a 21-22 mpixel digital image that you can do a lot with.

You can see the difference in quality instantly between these photos and two older scans made with a Nikon CoolScan V ED negative scanner:

I've now switched to using a Leica CL setup, same lens and bellows as above. This has advantages over the SL for this kind of work ... the CL's smaller format has the same pixel resolution as the SL (24 Mpixel) so the amount of magnification required to capture a Minox negative is quite a bit lower, which means less potential for vibration, etc, and the output is equal in pixel count and quality.

So if capturing Minox negatives is a goal, I'd pick a good used mirrorless camera with an adapted 50-60 mm macro lens. A good tripod or copy stand, and a clean light source, will make the job go quickly and consistently.

G

Old 07-07-2019   #6
jpchopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
An older DSLR or mirrorless and bellows and cobbling together something to hold the negatives will be cheaper AND better for this than a half-decent scanner. Remember that with these tiny negatives, you can only use a fraction of the resolution that a 35mm scanner provides, but with the right lens all the resolution of digital camera.
That's kinda what I'm doing with the macro and my phone, I'm getting approx 8-12 Mp "scans" but I need to clean up the process a bit for flatter negatives. Until I can swing A DSLR...

Old 07-07-2019   #7
jpchopper

Again, phone scans.
Locomotive on Minopan 25, Minox fine grain developer. Minox B.
Generator shed in the desert: Bluefire Police film, Bluefire HR developer. Minox IIIS.
Kids in waiting room: Ektachrome 100, Arista E6, Minox TLX.
Birdhouse, flowers, son with ice cream and dinosaur: Velvia 50, Minox TLX

20x clip on macro, Pixel2XL for "scans"

Old 07-07-2019   #8
jpchopper

Some shots with a Yashica Atoron electro (also 8x11mm format)
Kodak Ektachrome 100
Arista E6
Phone scan (through macro lens)