Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Minox 110S fix?
Old 07-06-2019   #1
jpchopper

Minox 110S fix?

I have recently acquired 3 Minox 110S cameras. 1 does not advance film, the other has a shutter that doesn't work, and the most functional of the 3 has a badly aligned rangefinder.
Trying to cut my losses, anyone know how to adjust the rangefinder on one of these? (If it is possible)
I don't want to gut another camera, without having a plan at least!
Thanks in advance everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Minox IIIS
Old 07-06-2019   #2
randy stewart

Minox IIIS

Sorry I cannot directly address your inquiry. Many years ago, during my brief involvement with 110 format, I owned several upscale 110 cameras, of which my Minox IIIS was the very best. If you can sort one good camera out of your three, and find decent 110 film, you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Overall, the IIIS seemed pretty well made, although the plastic body was offputing. Based on general principles, I'm sure you will find the rangefinder adjustable, if for no other reason that it got out of adjustment. At some point long ago, I concluded that quality 110 film was going away, with the possibility that 110 format would be orphaned, so I cleaned out all of mt 110 format equipment. Instead of padding, I cushioned my last camera sold by lining the package with several dozen of my remaining 110 film cartridges. Good luck with the IIIS(s).

Old 07-06-2019   #3
jpchopper

Randy, encouraging words! I'm hopeful you are correct about the adjustment, I'm just crossing fingers to see some film results soon after fixing the camera
John P

Old 07-06-2019   #4
wwfloyd

If you use any Lomo 110 film, be sure to tape over the camera's film window. Lomo backing in both color and black and white has been reported to have pin holes where light leaks through. Yes, I did have this experience myself, with Lomo Orca BW 110 film.

Old 07-07-2019   #5
jpchopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwfloyd View Post
If you use any Lomo 110 film, be sure to tape over the camera's film window. Lomo backing in both color and black and white has been reported to have pin holes where light leaks through. Yes, I did have this experience myself, with Lomo Orca BW 110 film.
Will keep that in mind! Right now the rangefinder is so out of line that it's not even looking the same direction as the camera...
I've adjusted the rangefinder on a GSN and GX(Yashica electro 35) but don't know where the adjustment is on the Minox 110, and was hoping for insight before I break the only one I have that winds film and fires the shutter

Old 07-07-2019   #6
Steve M.

Why don't you try to adjust the rangefinder on one of the cameras that has an inoperative shutter? You don't have much to lose, and you can dig in there and figure out how things work. Think of it as a necessary sacrifice for scientific knowledge :]

Old 07-07-2019   #7
jpchopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Why don't you try to adjust the rangefinder on one of the cameras that has an inoperative shutter? You don't have much to lose, and you can dig in there and figure out how things work. Think of it as a necessary sacrifice for scientific knowledge :]
I'm not above it, but it's expensive... I have a few Minox carcasses from when I was learning, and a Lynx14E in similar shape. Hence coming here and asking, hoping to avoid the experimentation route if someone already knows