Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

Old 04-29-2016   #201
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
Asking out of complete ignorance here, why do you want the shutter cocking mechanism?
Removing the motor eliminates a point of failure, eliminates a burden on battery life, makes shutter-cocking silent, and restores that satisfying feel of moving gears. It also restores a place to hook your thumb when carrying the camera. May sound hopelessly retro to the youngsters, but I also shoot monster DSLRs when all-singing, all-dancing features are needed. I'll take a very dim view, however, if Leica fails to shrink this "M" body. Let's see if they can regain the dimensions of film M before we issue the next demand: digital Barnack.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Sony; Profoto

Old 04-29-2016   #202
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
Seems to me than an LCc display would be pretty valuable for flash photography, but that's probably not the realm of photographers who would use the M-D.
An LCD is useful for many things, but every other digital camera on the market has one... isn't it kind of cool that Leica made something different? I mean, they do have ones with LCDs if you are looking to buy.

Old 04-29-2016   #203
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
I cannot find the info online, but one would hope the camera was meterless or is the photographer stuck with center-weighted metering and no option to switch it off. That would not jive too well with the LCD-free design.
I don't see how the LCD screen and metering are linked.

In my experience properly exposing transparency film is much more difficult than optimizing exposure for sensors. Leica users made great transparency film exposures for decades. Some of them still do.

With raw files, one should be able to push Leica's current M sensors sat least two stops (three would not surprise me one bit) during post production. So the only risk is over exposure of the sensor at base ISO (200?) or clipping the ADC after the shutter closes because ISO was set too high. Otherwise shoot raw, leave ISO at 200 and push the global brightness during post-processing.

Of course JPEG shooter have to get the exposure and, or ISO right, so I think in-camera JPEGs users would be much more dependent on the metering system.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-29-2016   #204
mcfingon
Western Australia

My understanding of the M-D is that it only shoots DNG, so there is no JPG. The command wheel on the back controls exposure compensation, so to be safe you could dial in - a stop or what is necessary to make sure highlights don't burn.

Old 04-29-2016   #205
JPSuisse

Note: I first posted this in the wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I see from the Leica Forum site that the displayless Leica M-D costs a mere 500 Euros more than the basic M for the value added associated with removing the display.
[bash]Basically, this is not an optimized product. If it were, the body would be thinner. So, it really is a case of paying more for less.[/bash]

This does not mean by the way that I think the idea here is bad. I'm all for it and for the choice. The fact is I think they are trying to delay the launch of a completely M film-like digital camera (same dimensions, etc.) as long as possible.

Somehow, that really will be the holy-grail for some of us. So, in another 3 years, Leica maybe will have a new digital M for me to buy. Unfortunately, by then it won't be compatible with Lightroom 4, so I'll just keep using the M8 and scanning. So goes the digital life cycle nowadays.

Old 04-29-2016   #206
PineEar
photographer

The M-D: All the disadvantages of film.

No thanks. I already have an M6.
Book

Old 04-29-2016   #207
JOCO34

It could be that Leica is testing the waters for a more film like digital expereince in future models. First goes the sensor and JPEGs next a better thinner sensor which give us a slimmer body lastly a thumb winder for the shutter recocking. The last item wouild be to charge us for each 36 exposures with a credit card slot on the bottom plate.

Old 04-29-2016   #208
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineEar View Post
The M-D: All the disadvantages of film.

No thanks. I already have an M6.
Just checked out your website Reuben. Really impressive work.

That comb-over photo in the park is just spectacular!

Old 04-29-2016   #209
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Just checked out your website Reuben. Really impressive work.

That comb-over photo in the park is just spectacular!
Agreed, those are some terrific pictures. So good I'll forgive the filmjacking of this thread!

Old 04-30-2016   #210
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
My understanding of the M-D is that it only shoots DNG, so there is no JPG. The command wheel on the back controls exposure compensation, so to be safe you could dial in - a stop or what is necessary to make sure highlights don't burn.
I shoudl have realized DNG only would be an obvious advantage fot this camera.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-30-2016   #211
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSuisse View Post
Note:

[bash]....
Unfortunately, by then it won't be compatible with Lightroom 4, so I'll just keep using the M8 and scanning. So goes the digital life cycle nowadays.
Don't all new Leicas come with a free, recent version of Lightroom?

What is the problem with using a free, stand-alone version of LR 6?
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-30-2016   #212
View Range

To paraphrase Reuben.

M-D: None of the advantages of digital.

No, thanks. I'll keep my M8 and M9.

Old 04-30-2016   #213
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
How is the battery level indicator designed on the M-D ?
It's in the VF. What is cool is you can download the manual from the Leica site.

The M-D has a big advantage over the M60 in that it still has the ability to add exposure compensation in AE mode. The M60 cannot as it does not have that thumb wheel.

Old 04-30-2016   #214
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

No useless ten minute video mode. HUZZAH!!!
And there are strap lugs after all: https://en.leica-camera.com/Photogra...ca-M/Leica-M-D

Old 04-30-2016   #215
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
To paraphrase Reuben.

M-D: None of the advantages of digital.

No, thanks. I'll keep my M8 and M9.
Sometimes I forget how much better our pictures are with all the advantages of digital. Whew!

Old 05-01-2016   #216
JPSuisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Don't all new Leicas come with a free, recent version of Lightroom?

What is the problem with using a free, stand-alone version of LR 6?
Ah! This is assuming that we all go and throw out perfectly good computers for no reason at all!
I happen to have 2 MacPros both running 10.6.8 and still using programs like the first version Adobe CS from 2003. I am stuck at Lightroom 4.
No chance I will upgrade for another 5 years. Good thing all my 6 bit coded lenses are perfectly useable on a film camera.

Old 05-01-2016   #217
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Note: I first posted this in the wrong thread.

[bash]Basically, this is not an optimized product. If it were, the body would be thinner. So, it really is a case of paying more for less.[/bash]

This does not mean by the way that I think the idea here is bad. I'm all for it and for the choice. The fact is I think they are trying to delay the launch of a completely M film-like digital camera (same dimensions, etc.) as long as possible.

Somehow, that really will be the holy-grail for some of us. So, in another 3 years, Leica maybe will have a new digital M for me to buy. Unfortunately, by then it won't be compatible with Lightroom 4, so I'll just keep using the M8 and scanning. So goes the digital life cycle nowadays.
[counterbash] That assumes the LCD protrudes inside the body. It does not. The extra thickness of digital M bodies arises from the sensor array/motherboard. You do not gain space by removing the LCD (except cleaning up the LCD/button bulge on the back)[/counterbash]

jaapvphotography

Old 05-02-2016   #218
jazzwave

In 2018, Leica will release new camera: Leica M-D with lcd screen added as new feature.

Leica look lost orientation for their product roadmap

I confused with new Leica (digital) name: M (240, 262, M-P, Monochrome)

Old 05-02-2016   #219
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzwave View Post
In 2018, Leica will release new camera: Leica M-D with lcd screen added as new feature.
It could be a welcome addition, provided the current controls stay in place. For example, an M8 style top plate screen with more functionality and different spec could be nice.

An "M-D with LCD screen", of course, already exists. It's the original M (Typ 262).

Old 05-02-2016   #220
jsrockit

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the space may have been used for dampening to make the shutter a lot quieter... the camera is rumored to be very quiet.

Old 05-02-2016   #221
mcfingon
Western Australia

The back of an M-D looks Zen to me. It is as uncluttered as a Zen garden at a temple.

Old 05-02-2016   #222
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
[counterbash] That assumes the LCD protrudes inside the body. It does not. The extra thickness of digital M bodies arises from the sensor array/motherboard. You do not gain space by removing the LCD (except cleaning up the LCD/button bulge on the back)[/counterbash]
This post should be pinned.

People seem to have forgotten the 27.80 mm flange-focal distance for the M lens mount is the primary determinant of the digital Ms' thickness.

Before the M8 some people speculated a digital M was not viable (would not be accepted) because the body would be too thick.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-02-2016   #223
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post

Before the M8 some people speculated a digital M was not viable (would not be accepted) because the body would be too thick.
Whenever I have a film-M in my hands nowadays I always think it might slip through my fingers because it's so thin. I don't want the thin M back.

Old 05-02-2016   #224
sazerac

I'll be saving my money for the monochrom version of the M-D.

Old 05-02-2016   #225
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It's in the VF. What is cool is you can download the manual from the Leica site.

The M-D has a big advantage over the M60 in that it still has the ability to add exposure compensation in AE mode. The M60 cannot as it does not have that thumb wheel.
I just read through the M-D manual. Am I correct in thinking the only thing the thumbwheel is used for is EC?

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 05-02-2016   #226
a.noctilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
I just read through the M-D manual. Am I correct in thinking the only thing the thumbwheel is used for is EC?
The second use is to key in the time/date after holding the Fn more than 12s .

Arnaud

Old 05-02-2016   #227
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.noctilux View Post
The second use is to key in the time/date after holding the Fn more than 12s .

Arnaud
They might be overloading that input... lol.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 06-13-2016   #228
jepp

I bought he MD and I am very happy that Leica answer the need of some of rheir customers ( not all). Jumping between M7 and M240 was sometime too much different process.
This MD will "emulate" the way I am using my M7 with the conveniance of the digital in term of time saved to process.
An other good point of the MD is that photograph start to think about what our menu is use for ( mainly JPG), what is photography, what is my flow, what is exposure....like if you buy a MA.
Thanks Leica to put that strange MD on the market.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/francoiskarm/