Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

View Poll Results: How many M9 owners are planning a move to the M10
Yes I am planning to upgrade 25 20.66%
Nope, not worth it for me 96 79.34%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2012   #41
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I don't have any digital M.

My view is that if one chooses to go digital, the only direction to move is forward, not backwards from where you started.

My 2 cents worth.

Old 07-29-2012   #42
laskadog

Thanks everyone for your answers. I (like many I presume) was waiting for Photokina to buy a used M9 as people jumped to the M10. However I started to have my doubts that not as many people would upgrade as we think. After looking at the poll results, it seems to me that there will be more people buyers of M9s than sellers. The law of supply and demand gives a good idea of future prices. I decided not to wait and recently bought an M9. I LOVE it, so I definitely won't be upgrading. Time will tell.

With many people jumping from digital to film to digital and so on, Leica would probably only need to improve high ISO, write speed and size to please Leicaphiles. My only wish would be a shutter advance like the RD-1. That way you could either cock the shutter manually (quietly) or automatically for speed. No need for a Thumbs-up anymore either.

M8 to M10 upgrade. Very attractive to M8 owners that did not buy an M9!
Old 07-31-2012   #43
eleskin

M8 to M10 upgrade. Very attractive to M8 owners that did not buy an M9!

I am one of those people who skip the next best great thing and buys every other generation of equipment, be it cameras, cars, computers, etc,,,. When testing the M9 3 times, I came to the conclusion it was not a stellar leap past my M8 so instead, I bought 2 M8's, one new in 07, and one used a year ago and a NEX 5n for high ISO when I need it. . Now we have the M10 coming. I will wait 6 months into production just like I did for the M8 to avoid any problems and then take the plunge. If I would have bought an M9 I would not have the cash right now for an M10. I am sure the M10 will be way ahead of the M8. I am also sure you may see many M8 owners that held off buying the M9 upgrading to the M10. Maybe more so than M9 owners as a percentage.

Old 07-31-2012   #44
jsrockit

Downgraded from M9 to M8. No chance of me buying a M10 until it is used and years old.

Why did you downgrade from M9 to M8?
Old 07-31-2012   #45
eleskin

Why did you downgrade from M9 to M8?

jsrockit

I am very interested as to why you downgraded from the M9 to the M8.

Ed

Old 07-31-2012   #46
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleskin View Post
jsrockit

I am very interested as to why you downgraded from the M9 to the M8.

Ed
The M9 wasn't my main camera anymore and I couldn't have that kind of money laying around for sporadic use. So I sold it and all of my m lenses. Then I purchased a 5d MKII and M8 with CV 35mm 2.5 and put a few grand in the bank. Basically, I only wanted a M for when the rangefinder bug bit (digital gets more use than film for me) and now I have a much more versatile set-up for my needs.

Old 07-31-2012   #47
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laskadog View Post

With many people jumping from digital to film to digital and so on, Leica would probably only need to improve high ISO, write speed and size to please Leicaphiles. ....
I'm not sure what the expectation are in regards to HIGH ISO and the IQ but this example is pretty darn ok in my book :
M9 ISO 1000, Planar 2/50, 1/60s f 2.8, no noise reduction, crop approx 1600 x 1400 from orig. and ridiculous 138kB jpg for posting:
And if there is any moiree showing, that is a jpg artefact on your screen, the orig. DNG is clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pat-Metheney-072912.jpg (138.9 KB, 40 views)

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 07-31-2012   #48
clicker

No thanks, very happy with my X-pro and M2.

Old 08-01-2012   #49
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I upgraded my M9 to an excellent condition Nikon SP with a suite of lenses a few weeks ago.

Phil Forrest

From M9 to M8
Old 08-01-2012   #50
ruslan

From M9 to M8

Downgraded from M9 to M8 too, M8 is a better camera for me, has 1/8000 shutter speed, 1/250 flash synch speed, small battery info window, better battery life, better image quality per pixel and color, can work easy in infrared.

Old 08-09-2012   #51
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

All of that except better image quality per pixel - those are identical, and the M9 has more of them...

jaapvphotography

Old 08-09-2012   #52
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
My view is that if one chooses to go digital, the only direction to move is forward, not backwards from where you started.
Going forward can also mean being open to possibilities that were self-denied before.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 08-09-2012   #53
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

BTW, I'm sure lots of people are already waiting for the M11, and have planned to skip the M10, what with the M10 already being obsolete and causing issues.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 08-09-2012   #54
icebear

Folks, please look back into Leica history of model numbers:

M3 , M6, M9 great cameras.
M5 the unloved step child, I hope the M10 is not in the M5 heritage...

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 08-10-2012   #55
Nemo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Z View Post
I too can only imagine video with full-frame and the DOF of a 50mm @ f/0.95 and manual focus. Not a particularly pretty image I'm sad to say.
VistaVision.

Old 08-10-2012   #56
Nemo

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
I'm not sure what the expectation are in regards to HIGH ISO and the IQ but this example is pretty darn ok in my book :
M9 ISO 1000, Planar 2/50, 1/60s f 2.8, no noise reduction, crop approx 1600 x 1400 from orig. and ridiculous 138kB jpg for posting:
And if there is any moiree showing, that is a jpg artefact on your screen, the orig. DNG is clean.
The problem with high ISO noise is not the grainy look. The problem is in the loss of detail and dynamic range. So your picture is useless for the purpose of demonstrating high ISO quality in M9's pictures. We all know the image quality of the M9 at high ISO values is horrible.

Old 08-10-2012   #57
jsrockit

icebear... if they redesign the M10 (which I'm not saying is going to happen), it could be a repeat of history.

Old 08-15-2012   #58
fstops
-

I think M10 could benefit from an add-on EVF that one could use on the hot shoe.

Other than that, high ISO capability and video does not justify an upgrade from M9.

Old 08-16-2012   #59
dreamsandart

I think the M10 will be a great camera. Just not for me. The only improvements I've heard of that would be of interest; higher ISO use, better LCD screen, faster buffer, I can get along without.

Hay, I'm still getting used to the idea I'm not shooting film… 400ASA is still fast for me, used to be a few hours or days to 'see' the photo I just took, the M9's LCD does fine for what it does, and the 'decisive moment' does not mean a burst of shutter action.

Now a EVF finder would be interesting, but its not why I have rangefinder cameras. And more pixels… just what I [don't] need, the need for more higher capacity storage as the M9 files are enough.

It will be fun reading the reviews

Old 08-16-2012   #60
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsandart View Post
Now a EVF finder would be interesting, but its not why I have rangefinder cameras.
I wonder if this will work out for Leica or if there will be a backlash.

Old 08-16-2012   #61
Paul Luscher

Not right now.--particularly if M10 is priced a $10K or higher. Just don't have that kind of cash on hand. Also--hate to say it--Olympus EM-5 has pretty much all the qualities of an M--small size, quiet operation,etc--and with more and better features--for about 1/6 the price of the current M9.

So if the M10 does come in at $10k, I'll just stick with the M9,and maybe buy the M10 ( or M11, if I have to wait tht long) down the line when I can afford to. Or I might just bid adieu to Leica and stick with the Olympus MFTs.....

Old 08-16-2012   #62
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Luscher View Post
Also--hate to say it--Olympus EM-5 has pretty much all the qualities of an M--small size, quiet operation,etc--and with more and better features--for about 1/6 the price of the current M9...
But one feels like a camera and the other like a TV remote...

Old 08-16-2012   #63
LCT

I like much my Zuiko lenses but Oly will make a rangefinder when pigs can fly.

Old 08-16-2012   #64
porktaco

1600, summicron-c 40. very noisy, and required a lot of NR in PP. lots of detail went away. i like the way the photo looks, but i'd like it even more if there were more details.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 08-16-2012   #65
ramosa
B&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Sebastian View Post
I still use an M8 So the question for me is M9 or M10 for crazy money no doubt.
same situation here. the expected M10 specs and exorbitant cost are making the M9 (or, heck, even the M6 TTL) look better and better ...

Old 08-16-2012   #66
anerjee

1600, summicron-c 40. very noisy, and required a lot of NR in PP. lots of detail went away. i like the way the photo looks, but i'd like it even more if there were more details.

Is this the M9?

You will get far better results with [email protected] Sample -

I've heard that the M9 is usable till 2500 with noise reduction, so I am a bit surprised.

Old 08-25-2012   #67
porktaco

well, is was very dark. i think in a reasonably well lit situation, 1600 could have been ok

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 08-25-2012   #68
ajramirez

Not a great photograph by any means, but an example of the M9P at ISO 2500. Processed from DNG through ACR with the Luminance and Chroma sliders set at 50.

And the original color version.

Cheers,

Antonio

Old 08-25-2012   #69
astro8

Quote:
Originally Posted by porktaco View Post
Wow, Adam that is noisy as all hell!

I was toying with the idea of an M9 but since 95% of my shots are taken at night or in dark interiors i think I'll stick with my R-D1. It does pretty well @1600.

What's your take on this?

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-25-2012   #70
ajramirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro8 View Post
Wow, Adam that is noisy as all hell!

I was toying with the idea of an M9 but since 95% of my shots are taken at night or in dark interiors i think I'll stick with my R-D1. It does pretty well @1600.

What's your take on this?
I know the question is not directed at me, but please see my post above. I think Adamดs result may be due to really challenging lighting and underexposure in the dark areas. Not representative of the M9's low light performance in my opinion.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 08-25-2012   #71
Fraser

There is nothing wrong with the M9 at 1600iso, porktaco that pic must have been about 5 stops underexposed.
1600iso

12fbpic1600room by f4saregreat!, on Flickr

Old 08-25-2012   #72
astro8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajramirez View Post
I know the question is not directed at me, but please see my post above. I think Adamดs result may be due to really challenging lighting and underexposure in the dark areas. Not representative of the M9's low light performance in my opinion.

Regards,

Antonio
Yes, Antonio. Your example is quite good.

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-25-2012   #73
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

Not upgrading, and in fact I've sold my M9. It wasn't an easy decision, but I just didn't love it $5000 to 7000 worth.

Old 08-26-2012   #74
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
porktaco that pic must have been about 5 stops underexposed.
You are spot-on. The only part of it that is more or less exposed correctly, the side of the toilet, looks ok.
NR after the raw conversion always looks worse than for instance the latest version of ACR btw.

jaapvphotography

Old 08-26-2012   #75
leicashot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
You are spot-on. The only part of it that is more or less exposed correctly, the side of the toilet, looks ok.
NR after the raw conversion always looks worse than for instance the latest version of ACR btw.
The focus is also on the toilet, making the picture look even worse

Old 08-27-2012   #76
IEDEI

i just bought my M8, but am very excited to see what they have in the M10! Should be very interesting.