Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

View Poll Results: Who will Rescue Nikon?
Government Loan 11 7.01%
Sony 9 5.73%
Panasonic 4 2.55%
Fuji 4 2.55%
Canon 2 1.27%
Olympus 0 0%
Ricoh 4 2.55%
Blackstone (they invested in Leica) or Leica 2 1.27%
Zeiss 0 0%
Chinese camera or lens maker 19 12.10%
Investment Bank 10 6.37%
Other Investors - please explain 8 5.10%
Nikon will pull out of this on its own 84 53.50%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2017   #121
Ranchu
-

Maybe have the pensioners take it over, like Kodak. Nikon lenses are apparently made without any regard for the aesthetics of the formed image other than sharpness and contrast. They might want to rethink that. Bleh.

Old 06-22-2017   #122
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think it is only in major markets that we see all of their different models at once. For instance, in Chile, the Nikon stores don't carry all of the redundant models and mostly have the low end stuff.
So imagine going though the rigamarole of selecting a body from all the options available and then not being able to buy it. Back to the drawing board. Because you can count on the one feature that tipped you over to choosing one model over another not being on the models on the shelf.

I know there is a marketing strategy to having ten models instead of three; though some psychological mechanism a consumer will supposedly end up spending a little more than he would have if only three models were available, but it only makes sense to the bean counters who probably don't include sales lost to confusion in their calculation.

Old 06-22-2017   #123
Ranchu
-

I can't tell the difference between a Canon Rebel xs and any other Canon, personally. Weight?

Old 06-22-2017   #124
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
Maybe have the pensioners take it over, like Kodak. Nikon lenses are apparently made without any regard for the aesthetics of the formed image other than sharpness and contrast. They might want to rethink that. Bleh.
The recent Nikon 58 1.4G proves otherwise.

Old 06-22-2017   #125
Ranchu
-

A 58mm lens is something I can't remember ever enjoying the use of. Does it still have good ol Nikon Longitudinal Chromatic Abberation? Is it Green from cheap glass on top of that? Lobster skin tones too? No thank you.

edit: I do so love it when the foreground has a magenta cast, and the backround has a green one.

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon_nik..._58mm_f1-4g/2/

Old 06-22-2017   #126
Huss

Quote:
.... Nikon lenses are apparently made without any regard for the aesthetics of the formed image other than sharpness and contrast. They might want to rethink that. Bleh.
And yet....

Quote:
A 58mm lens is something I can't remember ever enjoying the use of. Does it still have good ol Nikon Longitudinal Chromatic Abberation? Is it Green from cheap glass on top of that? Lobster skin tones too? No thank you.

edit: I do so love it when the foreground has a magenta cast, and the backround has a green one.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1253369

Old 06-22-2017   #127
RObert Budding

Quote:

And yet some photographers have captured stunning images with Nikon lenses:

https://i0.wp.com/www.casualphotophi...50%2C600&ssl=1

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 06-22-2017   #128
Ranchu
-

I have no use for it, anyway. Nikon's been riding on their name, rather than their lenses for years now. That pic is 50 years old, buddy. How about a 50mm f2 Sonnar copy? Wouldn't that be nicer than that 58mm hood ornament?

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_...age/00_pag.htm

Old 06-22-2017   #129
RObert Budding

Quote:
I have no use for it, anyway. Nikon's been riding on their name, rather than their lenses for years now. That pic is 50 years old, buddy. How about a 50mm f2 Sonnar copy? Wouldn't that be nicer than that 58mm hood ornament?
I'm not your buddy, you pompous ass. Here, why don't you critique Joe McNally's photos.

http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/index

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 06-22-2017   #130
Ranchu
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
I'm not your buddy, you pompous ass. Here, why don't you critique Joe McNally's photos.

Oh babydoll, don't get your feelings hurt. I'm critiquing Nikon, not random dude.

Old 06-22-2017   #131
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So imagine going though the rigamarole of selecting a body from all the options available and then not being able to buy it. Back to the drawing board. Because you can count on the one feature that tipped you over to choosing one model over another not being on the models on the shelf.

I know there is a marketing strategy to having ten models instead of three; though some psychological mechanism a consumer will supposedly end up spending a little more than he would have if only three models were available, but it only makes sense to the bean counters who probably don't include sales lost to confusion in their calculation.
Yeah, understood, but it isn't that hard either. If you are not into figuring what to buy, you most likely should buy a cheap model. If you are into photography more, you know what you need. I don't see a huge problem with the line-up to be honest. Most people have a price point and they see what they can buy at that price point.

Old 06-23-2017   #132
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Oh babydoll, don't get your feelings hurt. I'm critiquing Nikon, not random dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post

You're dealing with a provocative jackass.
Leave the bait alone

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 06-23-2017   #133
Penzes

I voted for Nikon, all other options are not really feasible.

my flickr

Old 06-26-2017   #134
Ranchu
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
You're dealing with a provocative jackass.
Leave the bait alone
They could maybe copy this and get rid of that olive oil colored 1.8 they've been flogging for the last 30 years. Probably a good move.

http://blog.bkspicture.com/review_SM...M_50mm_f2.html

Old 06-27-2017   #135
Huss

Quote:
They could maybe copy this and get rid of that olive oil colored 1.8 they've been flogging for the last 30 years. Probably a good move.

http://blog.bkspicture.com/review_SM...M_50mm_f2.html
What do you mean by olive oil coloured, and are you talking about the 50 1.8G?

Old 06-27-2017   #136
Mr. Fizzlesticks

I think Ranchu is being funny and honest. Never liked Nikon glass myself. Prefer Zeiss/Leica or Pentax, Canon, Minolta... Of course people that are invested in Nikon will never admit that there are better options. Just human nature.

I wouldn't call it a big loss if Nikon went under. I pretty much expect two or three manufacturers to call it quits in the next few years. You can see it coming.

And Ranchu isn't a pompous Jackass for pointing out what the truth is....

It is not the camera in your hand dingleberry; it is the brain in your head.

Old 06-27-2017   #137
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fizzlesticks View Post
I think Ranchu is being funny and honest. Never liked Nikon glass myself. Prefer Zeiss/Leica or Pentax, Canon, Minolta... Of course people that are invested in Nikon will never admit that there are better options. Just human nature.
I'm not invested in Nikon glass, I have Leica, Zeiss, CV, Minolta, Mamiya, Fuji etc as well.
Even Russian stuff and Lomo!

I'm just wondering what he means by 'olive oil', as I find the 50 1.8G to be a wonderful performer for very cheap money for AF bodies. $100 used like new condition.

Olive Oil 50 1.8G:

Crappy 24-120 f4 vrG zoom:

45 2.8 on Fuji C200

I find it interesting that with all these claims of crappy Nikon glass, Nikon has been the professional photographer's main stay for decades. Perhaps someone should have told them?

Old 06-27-2017   #138
Ranchu
-

Who uses the lenses doesn't change their properties, as if by some great marketing magic.

What I say is that Nikon has produced lenses forever with no consideration of their aesthetic properties beyond sharpness and contrast. Maybe they figured out the bokeh thing might sell them a 58mm lens recently, ok. The 50mm 1.4 AF-S was good imo, except for the green sludge in the bokeh. I was referring to the ai-s and af-d 1.8's but 1st pic is exactly what I mean by olive oil colored, second ok. Third the woman's skintone, particularly at her hairline is looking lobster colored. I think both these pics would look better, and have color that was easier to deal with, had you taken them with the 50mm f1.4 AF-S.

Old 06-27-2017   #139
Fraser

Lexar..............

Old 06-27-2017   #140
infrequent

Quote:
I think both these pics would look better, and have color that was easier to deal with, had you taken them with the 50mm f1.4 AF-S.
By 50mm f1.4 AF-S do you mean the recent G version? Is there a good comparison of how it has improved on the D version? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2017   #141
Ranchu
-

Yes, the G. I haven't used the AF-D version, so I can't compare them.

Old 06-27-2017   #142
infrequent

Quote:
Yes, the G. I haven't used the AF-D version, so I can't compare them.
This seems like a comprehensive comparison of all the recent variations of the f1.8 and f1.4 Nikkor 50s if anyone is interested. Minimal all around difference and the benefits likely be trivial in actual practice. YMMV. http://photopixreview.com/50mm-1-8d-...-1-4d-vs-1-4g/

Old 06-27-2017   #143
Ranchu
-

Gotta disagree with that, he tested a lot of flare, some bokeh, and the backlit portrait has varying fill (fill?). Seems like a pretty limited test regime. I think the 1.4 G is good.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-50mm-f1-4g

https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-c...-Sample-27.jpg

Old 06-27-2017   #144
Huss

Quote:
but 1st pic is exactly what I mean by olive oil colored.

Yah, no offence but you're smokin' rope.

Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it along to me....

Old 06-27-2017   #145
Ranchu
-

Ok, dude. Your portraits are lovely, whatever the case.

Old 06-28-2017   #146
infrequent

Quote:
I think the 1.4 G is good.
Should have clarified. The 1.8G is definitely an upgrade on the 1.8D which really is doing lens cap duty given the price. I was hard pressed to see a big upgrade on the 1.4G over the 1.4D though. Still I am sure the IQ is better, even if the build quality seems to have regressed.

Thanks for those links!

Old 06-28-2017   #147
Ranchu
-

The main reason I bought the 1.4G is that I was using an F100 at the time, and the 1.8 AF-D I had made such crazy chattering noises on my face from the AF. The AF-S motor was pretty sweet.

Old 06-28-2017   #148
infrequent

Yeah it appears the silent wave motor is silent. That is definitely a plus. I think back to my last foray into dSLR land and the 50/1.8D and can't recall if I cared for the AF noise. Mostly because I had no appreciation for quiet operation!

Old 06-28-2017   #149
willie_901

My 50/1.8 AF-D AF was clunky – similar to the Fujinon 35/1.4 XF lens except much louder.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 06-28-2017   #150
jsrockit

I loved my 50mm 1.8d on the Df. Miss that combo.

Old 06-28-2017   #151
Huss

Quote:
Ok, dude. Your portraits are lovely, whatever the case.

Awww...

Quote:
The main reason I bought the 1.4G is that I was using an F100 at the time, and the 1.8 AF-D I had made such crazy chattering noises on my face from the AF. The AF-S motor was pretty sweet.
I use the 1.8G on my F100 and it works perfectly. Very quiet, focuses quickly and surely. I liked it so much I bought a second that I can use on my F6 or D750 at the same time.
Buy these things used - they are available at about $100-$125. Which is what Zeiss charges for a lens hood!! Imagine that, a whole AF lens (with lens hood!) for the price of a lens hood.

Old 06-28-2017   #152
Huss

Speaking of the 58 1.4G, the problem I have with it is the price. The 1.8G is $220 new while the 1.4 is $1600. Sure the 1.4 is a little faster, and has a bit more glass. But the build quality is essentially the same - plastic. And the QC is the same with many people having to return lenses until they get one that focuses properly.
Nikon supposedly said that the 58 1.4 has a huge mark up just because they want it to appear to be a premium product. And premium products are expensive.

Old 06-28-2017   #153
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Nikon supposedly said that the 58 1.4 has a huge mark up just because they want it to appear to be a premium product. And premium products are expensive.
At that price point, the Voigtlander 58/1.4 in F mount is likely a better bet. If you don't need AF.

Old 07-26-2017   #154
jarski

Some news about Nikon's own plans for the future (link):
Quote:
"The difference from our past strategies is that we will offer not only products, but also ideas and solutions as well," says Ushida. "Nikon will be reborn as a solution company providing superior technologies and ideas, holding 'light' as our core competency."
Personally am having doubts would this work for Nikon, hope they keep products in main focus.

Nikon Just Saved Itself
Old 07-26-2017   #155
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Nikon Just Saved Itself

the D850

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...15#post2743115

Old 07-27-2017   #156
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Well only if this one doesn't crash and burn like the D750!

Old 11-04-2017   #157
BillBingham2

750 burn?

Not as well Samsung Note 7!!!

Now that burned up the market, and the pockets, and the ......

B2 (;->

Old 02-02-2018   #158
Out to Lunch

As reported by Nikkei's Asian Review, Canon is doing very well: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...earnings-rally "Digital cameras and multifunction devices, which drove much of the growth, "fulfilled their duties thoroughly," said Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai".

Old 02-02-2018   #159
Huss

"Healthy sales of mirrorless cameras propelled Canon to a 22% operating profit gain in a segment that had been on an uninterrupted decline."

C'mon Nikon...

Old 02-13-2018   #160
richardHaw
junk scavenger

only we can pull Nikon out of this
by supporting them.
http://www.richardhaw.com