Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica SL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #161
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post
Looks like a possibility according to Leica Rumors. But the longer I use my M10-P (and M-P 240 before it) I'm thinking 24 megapixels is plenty for me (just about perfect, in fact).

Plus, I doubt anyone would get the full benefit out of a 40+ megapixel M camera without using a tripod.
I agree. You would need to make very large prints to see a difference.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #162
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

11/24 Leica Store L.A. A RSVP is required. PM me and I'll forward you the link.

Itinerary:

11:00-11:20 AM Photowalk Check-In

11:30-12:30 PM Guided Photowalk with SL2 on loan.*

3:00-6:00 PM Pro Discovery with on site model.

6:30-7:30 PM Artist Talk and presentation.

7:30-9:00 PM Reception and hands on demo.

* Camera loans for Photowalk are offered on a first come first serve basis. Valid ID, Credit Card, and SD Card required.

Cal
Thanks for being so thoughtful Cal and posting this. Unfortunately I'll be out of town from 22nd until Dec 3. Figures..
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #163
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post

Plus, I doubt anyone would get the full benefit out of a 40+ megapixel M camera without using a tripod.
Bill,

What about at a crazy shutter speed like 1/40,000 of a second exposure using the "electronic shutter."

If you enable the electronic shutter on the SL and use auto you get all these shutter speeds faster than 1/4,000 second.

I'm not so sure a tripod would help if you are shooting within these ultra high shutter speeds. Not so hard at a base ISO of 400 in bright light in the summer to get into this range. Pretty seamless because I generally find out that I'm in electronic shutter range after I import into Lightroom.

I'm pretty sure though at more moderate shutter speeds you are correct.

Also don't underestimate IBIS.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #164
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Thanks for being so thoughtful Cal and posting this. Unfortunately I'll be out of town from 22nd until Dec 3. Figures..
Huss,

The NYC event worked out for me. I'll be in Europe in the front half of December.

Kinda the reason why I pulled the trigger and bought the APO 35 Cron.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #165
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

The NYC event worked out for me. I'll be in Europe in the front half of December.

Kinda the reason why I pulled the trigger and bought the APO 35 Cron.

Cal
Nice. Where in Europe in particular? Jealous.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #166
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

The NYC event worked out for me. I'll be in Europe in the front half of December.

Kinda the reason why I pulled the trigger and bought the APO 35 Cron.

Cal
Congratulations, Cal. Such APO lenses must be awesome.
Where will you be in Europe? Italy?
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #167
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Nice. Where in Europe in particular? Jealous.
Huss,

Kinda crazy a free luxury vacation/River cruize. I had mentioned that my gal is a fashion blogger with nearly 700K followers. Pretty much she has to do some posting on Instagram, so this is a gig for her, but I get to go as a "Plus-One."

Amsterdam layover at the Pulitzer Amsterdam Legend. The river cruize follows the Rhine River and starts in Cologne (4th most populated city in Germany) and stops at Koblenz, Baden-Baden (Mercedes Benz), Strausbourg (France), and ends in Basel (Switzerland). We have a layover in Basel and will be staying at the Gaia.

Of course the level of luxury is outragious. Flying is Business Class, on the cruise ship there is a "Pillow Menu," and we have our own butler.

Two years ago there was a "Plus-One" trip to Madrid. Business flight, a Mercedes limo from the hotel picked us up from the airport. We basically stayed at a palace (Palace de los Dukes) that was converted into a luxury hotel that was a few blocks from this rediculas palace for the King and Queen that has 375 rooms and is so large it makes anything we have in Washinton D.C. look like a bungalow.

Pretty much a VIP treatment that is so crazy that it is like being Jay-Z and Beyonce.

We were told to go to the Biblioteca Nacional for International Book Day. Security informed us that the place was closed, but then some women chased us down to give us our behind the scenes tour.

The phone rang and we were directed to go to this sister luxury hotel on Mad-Rid's Fifth Avenue for lunch. Pretty much the food was so good and rich that it seemed likely that I should go to the nearest emergency room to get stents installed.

The phone rang again and we were directed to go to a suite in the hotel for a magazine interview, a video shoot, and a photo shoot. Pretty much we used this luxury hotel as a studio. Stylist, hair makeup and crews.

We had a guided walk that included an entourage. We ended up at the Prado which was jammed with lines, but no lines for us. The Limo from the hotel picked us up, because that night was a black tie event.

Kinda crazy how on a Wednesday at work I get this panaced E-mail from my gal that I needed a Tux by Friday before we left for Spain. I hate the world of fashion because this is how they run. Because I'm a skinny and lanky size 38 and men's sizes start at size 40 pretty much I have to spring for either Prada or Paul Smith.

So I scramble to secure a Paul Smith tux. Although there are 4 Paul Smith stores in NYC, only one carries the formal wear, and because Paul Smith is so boutique this one store basically carries one of each size, and when that is sold pretty much it is sold out. I called and luckily they had a size 38 for me, and they put it aside for me.

Then I had to get the tux fitted within two days. It was actually a good thing buying a tux; a week later I had another black tie event held at the Grand Ballroom at the Plaza. "Maggie" at another formal event at the Sony Play Station Theater won a "Shorty Award" in fashion and basically beat Victoria Beckham.

Another funny story is somehow I have to go to Gabriella Hearst's birthday party. This is the heiress from the Rudalph Hearst newspaper empire.

It starts when "Maggie" informs me that she is expecting a courier to drop off some clothes. This happens all the time, but this time is different because the clothing is UBER expensive. When I inquire how expensive, she says, "About $20K."

So when I see the clothes I understand, Perhaps the handbag alone was $5K, then there was this silk cocktail dress that had newspaper headlines and rosebuds to riff off the Hearst newspaper empire. Of course there was a coat. Pretty much these clothes are to dress "Maggie" for an event, and these clothes have to be returned.

The celebration is a grand opening of a store on Madison Avenue, the store is within a luxury hotel, and the birthday party is in a private room within the hotel. A friend of Gabriella's happens to be a Latin Grammy Award winning performer, and he will be be doing a few songs.

I am near center stage, and somehow there is this guy with an IPAD who is the soundman. Pretty much I'm in the sweetspot. Maggie during the performance tells me that Gabriella Hearst is standing right behind me, but I can't really get out of her way.

When the birthday cake came out and we sang Happy Birthday, I tried to get out of all the shots, but basically I was in every shot. LOL. It is really weird getting into the upper strata. If they only knew who I really am...

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #168
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,618
Sometimes I wonder if I'm last walking photographer on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
You should also know that under low light conditions the electronic gain of the VF'er is a godsend for night shooting. In this regard it is better than an optical VF'er. Kinda like nightvision built into the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
In use I would depress the joystick and use the magnification to focus, then tap the shutterbutton to get the full frame.

Pretty much a SLR like experience.
If I would use all of it while I walk and take pictures, I'll be motion sick in few minutes.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #169
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Congratulations, Cal. Such APO lenses must be awesome.
Where will you be in Europe? Italy?
Raid,

Short answer: A Rhine River cruise with layovers in Amsterdam and Basel.

Kinda crazy how this for me is kind of a free trip/vacation.

Also know that Leica is one of my gal's followers.

The APO glass certainly has an interesting rendering. I sent you a few JPEGS. That guy on the walking the bike was just two fast grab shots, bang-bang exploiting the AF. The APO with the enhanced contrast in the in focus areas heightens perceived sharpness then there is this smooth OOF transition.

I can see why owners of the APO lenses shoot mostly at F2.0 with the Crons.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #170
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I'm last walking photographer on Earth.

If I would use all of it while I walk and take pictures, I'll be motion sick in few minutes.
Ko.Fe.

Sea sickness is an awful feeling. Pretty much after you throw up you just want to die.

The SL never bothered me, but then again I am an offshore fisherman and have spent lots of time in the "shipping lanes" Tuna and shark fishing. I use to go cod fishing in 25 foot swells in January-February.

There are plenty of reports though where the EVF induces headaches and sea sickness.

The EVF in low light pretty much is like "night vision." The signals get amped up so pretty much it is like day, even though it is night.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #171
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
I am impressed, Cal. Good for you "and your gal".
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #172
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Raid,

Short answer: A Rhine River cruise with layovers in Amsterdam and Basel.

Kinda crazy how this for me is kind of a free trip/vacation.

Also know that Leica is one of my gal's followers.

The APO glass certainly has an interesting rendering. I sent you a few JPEGS. That guy on the walking the bike was just two fast grab shots, bang-bang exploiting the AF. The APO with the enhanced contrast in the in focus areas heightens perceived sharpness then there is this smooth OOF transition.

I can see why owners of the APO lenses shoot mostly at F2.0 with the Crons.

Cal
As a boy, I grew up in Bonn, and I have visited many places along the Rhine. We visited Basel recently. A very nice place to visit.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #173
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

Kinda crazy a free luxury vacation/River cruize. I had mentioned that my gal is a fashion blogger with nearly 700K followers. Pretty much she has to do some posting on Instagram, so this is a gig for her, but I get to go as a "Plus-One."

Amsterdam layover at the Pulitzer Amsterdam Legend. The river cruize follows the Rhine River and starts in Cologne (4th most populated city in Germany) and stops at Koblenz, Baden-Baden (Mercedes Benz), Strausbourg (France), and ends in Basel (Switzerland). We have a layover in Basel and will be staying at the Gaia.

Of course the level of luxury is outragious. Flying is Business Class, on the cruise ship there is a "Pillow Menu," and we have our own butler.

Two years ago there was a "Plus-One" trip to Madrid. Business flight, a Mercedes limo from the hotel picked us up from the airport. We basically stayed at a palace (Palace de los Dukes) that was converted into a luxury hotel that was a few blocks from this rediculas palace for the King and Queen that has 375 rooms and is so large it makes anything we have in Washinton D.C. look like a bungalow.

Pretty much a VIP treatment that is so crazy that it is like being Jay-Z and Beyonce.

We were told to go to the Biblioteca Nacional for International Book Day. Security informed us that the place was closed, but then some women chased us down to give us our behind the scenes tour.

The phone rang and we were directed to go to this sister luxury hotel on Mad-Rid's Fifth Avenue for lunch. Pretty much the food was so good and rich that it seemed likely that I should go to the nearest emergency room to get stents installed.

The phone rang again and we were directed to go to a suite in the hotel for a magazine interview, a video shoot, and a photo shoot. Pretty much we used this luxury hotel as a studio. Stylist, hair makeup and crews.

We had a guided walk that included an entourage. We ended up at the Prado which was jammed with lines, but no lines for us. The Limo from the hotel picked us up, because that night was a black tie event.

Kinda crazy how on a Wednesday at work I get this panaced E-mail from my gal that I needed a Tux by Friday before we left for Spain. I hate the world of fashion because this is how they run. Because I'm a skinny and lanky size 38 and men's sizes start at size 40 pretty much I have to spring for either Prada or Paul Smith.

So I scramble to secure a Paul Smith tux. Although there are 4 Paul Smith stores in NYC, only one carries the formal wear, and because Paul Smith is so boutique this one store basically carries one of each size, and when that is sold pretty much it is sold out. I called and luckily they had a size 38 for me, and they put it aside for me.

Then I had to get the tux fitted within two days. It was actually a good thing buying a tux; a week later I had another black tie event held at the Grand Ballroom at the Plaza. "Maggie" at another formal event at the Sony Play Station Theater won a "Shorty Award" in fashion and basically beat Victoria Beckham.

Another funny story is somehow I have to go to Gabriella Hearst's birthday party. This is the heiress from the Rudalph Hearst newspaper empire.

It starts when "Maggie" informs me that she is expecting a courier to drop off some clothes. This happens all the time, but this time is different because the clothing is UBER expensive. When I inquire how expensive, she says, "About $20K."

So when I see the clothes I understand, Perhaps the handbag alone was $5K, then there was this silk cocktail dress that had newspaper headlines and rosebuds to riff off the Hearst newspaper empire. Of course there was a coat. Pretty much these clothes are to dress "Maggie" for an event, and these clothes have to be returned.

The celebration is a grand opening of a store on Madison Avenue, the store is within a luxury hotel, and the birthday party is in a private room within the hotel. A friend of Gabriella's happens to be a Latin Grammy Award winning performer, and he will be be doing a few songs.

I am near center stage, and somehow there is this guy with an IPAD who is the soundman. Pretty much I'm in the sweetspot. Maggie during the performance tells me that Gabriella Hearst is standing right behind me, but I can't really get out of her way.

When the birthday cake came out and we sang Happy Birthday, I tried to get out of all the shots, but basically I was in every shot. LOL. It is really weird getting into the upper strata. If they only knew who I really am...

Cal
I hate you.....

;p

Couldn't happen to a more deserving hipster doofus!
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #174
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I hate you.....

;p

Couldn't happen to a more deserving hipster doofus!
Huss,

Kinda funny how I annoy people.

Pretty much a personality flaw. LOL.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #175
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
Then I must be in "the lower strata" :{

However, I am very happy!

Good for you, Cal. Enjoy life.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #176
icebear
Registered User
 
icebear's Avatar
 
icebear is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: just west of the big apple
Posts: 3,010
Hi Cal,
the VIP level might be enjoyable but typically these Rhine river cruises are a senior citizen event for people who can walk around anymore. Entertainment and music style are accordingly ... bring your noise cancelling headphones and load some music on your phone. I hope it will be enjoyable and of course successful for Maggie - it's a business trip after all.
Bring some warm clothes, it might be freezing at the time.
__________________
Klaus
You have to see the light.
M9, MM & a bunch of glass, Q

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #177
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Hi Cal,
the VIP level might be enjoyable but typically these Rhine river cruises are a senior citizen event for people who can walk around anymore. Entertainment and music style are accordingly ... bring your noise cancelling headphones and load some music on your phone. I hope it will be enjoyable and of course successful for Maggie - it's a business trip after all.
Bring some warm clothes, it might be freezing at the time.
Klaus,

Thanks for the heads up. An interesting adventure of sorts. I kinda expect surprises.

There is one stretch along the Rhine where it is like a slideshow of castles. I think I should bring the CL along. The Noct-Nikkor with the crop factor gives me an 87mm F1.2.

Perhaps you are saying I might be the only guy with a ponytail. LOL. I always seem to end up in these interesting sich-E-A-tions.

At Baden-Baden there is a Mercedes Benz tour on the itinerary, but for the most part we will wander around on our own in the port cities when we dock.

It is being promoted as the Christmas Market Cruise, but the biggest one seems to be in Strausbourg (France).

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #178
icebear
Registered User
 
icebear's Avatar
 
icebear is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: just west of the big apple
Posts: 3,010
Oh well then it will be X-mas songs all day to get you in the mood for buying tree ornaments at every stop.
__________________
Klaus
You have to see the light.
M9, MM & a bunch of glass, Q

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #179
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Oh well then it will be X-mas songs all day to get you in the mood for buying tree ornaments at every stop.
Klaus,

Bah-Humbug. I won't leave home without the earplugs.

Kind of reminds me of when I lived in Greenpoint and I rented a row house, but in front of the row house was a fire hydrant, and in the summer an icecream truck would park there all day.

I must of heard "Pop Goes The Weasel" a million times. It was maddening. Felt like buying a shotgun to pop the weasel.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #180
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Klaus,

Thanks for the heads up. An interesting adventure of sorts. I kinda expect surprises.

There is one stretch along the Rhine where it is like a slideshow of castles. I think I should bring the CL along. The Noct-Nikkor with the crop factor gives me an 87mm F1.2.

Perhaps you are saying I might be the only guy with a ponytail. LOL. I always seem to end up in these interesting sich-E-A-tions.

At Baden-Baden there is a Mercedes Benz tour on the itinerary, but for the most part we will wander around on our own in the port cities when we dock.

It is being promoted as the Christmas Market Cruise, but the biggest one seems to be in Strausbourg (France).

Cal
It will most likely include Drachenfels and then at Koblens the Lorelei.
Take along Peptobismol for the heavy dishes!
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #181
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 59
Posts: 608
Klaus, I’m glad you mentioned the typical constituency of these river cruises. My mother and her sister did the same Rhine cruise a few years back, though not Ichiban Class, and they were both already in their eighties at the time. My mother has mobility issues too.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #182
CharlesDAMorgan
Registered User
 
CharlesDAMorgan is offline
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Plymouth, UK
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post

Perhaps you are saying I might be the only guy with a ponytail.

Cal
Your own hair probably.

Take some lederhosen for your walking frame and join in the thigh slapping fun!
__________________
De-gassing progress:

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #183
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 62
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I agree. You would need to make very large prints to see a difference.
I have a 44" x 30" framed print hanging on my wall produced from my M-P 240. I think that's plenty big enough!
__________________
Leica M10-P
Leica CL
Various Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #184
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,054
Bring your tux so you can hit up the casino in Baden Baden.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #185
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Your own hair probably.

Take some lederhosen for your walking frame and join in the thigh slapping fun!
Charles,

Pretty much I have a confused identity, and I identify as being a white boy trapped in an Asian body.

I wear knickers all the time. At work my boss kinda wrote me up, oddly after the summer was nearly over, for my wearing of knickers all summer.

One of my personality flaws is that I annoy people it seems.

Another great talent is that I seem to draw out the crazies and somehow photograph them. My friend Christian says I should riff off the book "Humans of New York" and promote a book called "Crazies of New York."

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #186
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Bring your tux so you can hit up the casino in Baden Baden.
Huss,

My grandfather was a gambler. He was executed in China for murdering a loan shark who destroyed and burned down his business. So I'm a grandson of a murderer.

My mom was an educated woman from Hong Kong. Back in her day this was remarkable, and she likely came from a very afluent family.

Meanwhile my dad was illiterate and an illegal immigrant who jumped ship in New York Harbor in the late 20's or early-early 30's.

I made a killing gaming the markets and sold all my oil stocks when oil first hit $135.00 a barrel, and I closed my account in 2007.

Later that very same day oil peaked at $147.00 a barrel and collapsed to mark the beginning of the Great Recession. If I didn't sell when I did I would have been ruined. The timing was the difference between lunchtime and early afternoon.

I did this in a margin account, so the only difference between me and a full blown hedge fund is I utilized three-to-one margin and hedge funds used up to 30-1 leverage. Pretty much the only difference was a zero.

During the credit crisis, when people needed cash and were selling their treasures, is when I started buying used Leicas as "hard assets." Previously I only owned a Nikon F3P as my only camera.

I'm pretty convinced that I have "Bankster" blood in me from my mother's side. Part of me is also gangster and criminal. I'm an interesting hybrid. How American. LOL.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #187
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Klaus, Iím glad you mentioned the typical constituency of these river cruises. My mother and her sister did the same Rhine cruise a few years back, though not Ichiban Class, and they were both already in their eighties at the time. My mother has mobility issues too.
Pete,

Jeff from the NYC Meet-Up mentioned he did a few River Cruises, and made no mention of the geriatric factor.

At the Gaia where we are staying in Basel we are booked for a full blown apartment.

So at this point not only am I confused, but also excited. LOL. Life has been a bit of an adventure for me, pretty much I never really fit in, and lots of crazy stuff you can't make up just seems to happen to me.

Oh-well.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #188
maigo
Registered User
 
maigo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

My grandfather was a gambler. He was executed in China for murdering a loan shark who destroyed and burned down his business. So I'm a grandson of a murderer.

My mom was an educated woman from Hong Kong. Back in her day this was remarkable, and she likely came from a very affluent family.

Meanwhile my dad was illiterate and an illegal immigrant who jumped ship in New York Harbor in the late 20's or early-early 30's.

I made a killing gaming the markets and sold all my oil stocks when oil first hit $135.00 a barrel, and I closed my account in 2007.

Later that very same day oil peaked at $147.00 a barrel and collapsed to mark the beginning of the Great Recession. If I didn't sell when I did I would have been ruined. The timing was the difference between lunchtime and early afternoon.

I did this in a margin account, so the only difference between me and a full blown hedge fund is I utilized three-to-one margin and hedge funds used up to 30-1 leverage. Pretty much the only difference was a zero.

During the credit crisis, when people needed cash and were selling their treasures, is when I started buying used Leicas as "hard assets." Previously I only owned a Nikon F3P as my only camera.

I'm pretty convinced that I have "Bankster" blood in me from my mother's side. Part of me is also gangster and criminal. I'm an interesting hybrid. How American. LOL.

Cal
Cal,

Half the reason I love RFF are your stories. The other half is Ko.Fe's realpolitik comments.
Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Michael.
__________________
---------------------------------
My Flickr Photostream
My Flickr Albums
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #189
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post
I have a 44" x 30" framed print hanging on my wall produced from my M-P 240. I think that's plenty big enough!
Bill,

I have a special fondness of large prints. Not easy to do and do well.

"Big prints don't lie," I say. Any imperfection, noise, or too much processing shows artifacts.

Very cool.

Cal

POSTSCRIPT: Was a tripod used?
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"

Last edited by Calzone : 3 Weeks Ago at 07:59. Reason: POSTSCRIPT
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #190
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
Cal,

Half the reason I love RFF are your stories. The other half is Ko.Fe's realpolitik comments.
Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Michael.
Michael,

Many thanks.

If you notice the above post while off topic is also photo related.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #191
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Bring your tux so you can hit up the casino in Baden Baden.
I once was invited to the Casino in Baden Baden. I was instructed to wear a suit. Unlike US casinos, they let you calculate odds while playing. They even give you a calculator and a note pad with pencil!
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #192
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 62
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
POSTSCRIPT: Was a tripod used?
FWIW, the lens was a 21mm Asph Elmarit-M. No tripod!
__________________
Leica M10-P
Leica CL
Various Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #193
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post
FWIW, the lens was a 21mm Asph Elmarit-M. No tripod!
Bill,

Thanks for the response.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #194
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 59
Posts: 608
Cal, the funny thing about those European river cruises, which are spruiked heavily here in Australia (ageing demographic, I venture) is that I find some of them very attractive sounding. I think that says more about my stage in life, which is nearing the same demographic group as my mother.
Your uber-class venture though, would be miles different from what I would undertake, and I say lap up the luxury. Wonderful opportunity.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #195
Archiver
Registered User
 
Archiver is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Cal, the funny thing about those European river cruises, which are spruiked heavily here in Australia (ageing demographic, I venture) is that I find some of them very attractive sounding. I think that says more about my stage in life, which is nearing the same demographic group as my mother.
Your uber-class venture though, would be miles different from what I would undertake, and I say lap up the luxury. Wonderful opportunity.

Decades ago, my grandparents went on a cruise, and met a young couple on their honeymoon. That young couple were about my parent's age, and they've been family friends ever since. I grew up playing with their kids, hahaha.
__________________
~Loving Every Image Captured Always~
Archiver on flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #196
maigo
Registered User
 
maigo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Michael,

Many thanks.

If you notice the above post while off topic is also photo related.

Cal
Yes, clever you!
__________________
---------------------------------
My Flickr Photostream
My Flickr Albums
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #197
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
So here is a thought. If I can get Leica to add to their menus "framelines" as an overlay then there could be "Q" Factor that is basically borrowed from the "Q" and Q2.

So if I use my 50 Lux-L with a 75mm frameline overlay on both the VF and rear display pretty much I could use my 50 Lux as a 50-75 zoom. Because the SL2 has 47 MP the loss of pixel count is pretty much not much of an issue, I gain a benefit of F1.4 in a zoom, sweet spot an already highly corrected lens, use what I already own, and pretty much eliminate the need for an APO 75 Cron.

I did a lot of research on the 50 Lux-L verses the APO 50 Cron. The best info was from the SL Forums where most of them were either very serious landscape shooters or working pro's.

Some chose the APO 50 Cron. It has a faster focus, is more compact, weighs less, is sharp across the frame at F2.0, and some for the rendering.

Others chose the 50 Lux-L. It has better bokeh, smoother OOF, and of course F1.4.

But one shooter, a pro said he has to keep both because his clients basically voted with their dollars. For landscape the APO 50 Cron is best, but for shooting people the 50 Lux makes for a better portrait lens.

Understand that the 50 Lux at F1.4 is soft in the corners and near the edges, but at F2.0 it is "almost" sharp across the frame.

So now I can see how a SL with an APO 35 Cron and a SL2 with a 50 Lux-L is a two camera kit where I don't really need more glass. Pretty much don't need an APO 75 Lux.

The extra resolution from the high count MP sensor won't be wasted due to "Q" factor. The 50 Lux could easily serve as a 50-75 zoom. If Leica is smart they should add "Q" Factor selectable frameline overlays to their menus. This would make the SL more rangefinder like and promote their brand.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:53.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.