Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 08-20-2019   #41
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
... It draws them to you and makes it look like you actually care (I do..) because you have a real investment in the process.
It's not like you are just slinging around an AF digicam spraying away, deleting the majority of the images. And they do appreciate that whether unwittingly or not.
In my limited amateurish experience I had the same. Rolleiflex, Polaroid Land Camera, even the old Nikon FM2T ...of course the Rolleiflex still is the queen...

A similar thought I recently read in this article on the British journal od Photography about the work of the photographer Antony Sojka on the Halligen (North sea island) where people were quite defensive about photography, I think an interesting read.

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-20-2019   #42
David Hughes
David Hughes

Once upon a time, when we were very young, every other shop sold film and you'd see it everywhere. Nowadays they don't and there's no real camera shops about and so they think it doesn't exist any more...

Regards, David

Old 08-20-2019   #43
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
lol that is so bizarre!

It was a bit strange. I'm used to people asking about the Bronica or expressing interest in taking up film, but this was truly bizarre.

He: "Is that, like...a camera or something?"
Me: "Yeah, its an older Bronica SQ-A, a medium format camera."
"So it's like, an antique right? does it shoot film?"
"I mean, its from 1980 or so, so I guess so, and yeah, big film, 6x6, 2-and-a-quarter, what have you," and I pulled out a roll to show. He rolled up his sleeve and pointed to said tattoo.

"I've got one of these sitting on my shelf but they don't make film that fits it anymore."

I think at that point I just said 'try amazon' and made my exit.

It's interesting how the gamut runs of photography conversations on the street. I personally prefer not to be interrupted and wear headphones but have done my fair share of it to other photographers, and don't really mind spirited affirmations of the joys of shooting film. Sometimes it starts out as awkwardly explaining that, yes, film still exists before one understands the other is a photographer too.

But at the risk of sounding like an elitist or purist or some other ist, I do get a bit irritated by those whose equipment and ego outstrip their knowledge (or tact). In the last two weeks:

-I made a comment to a gentleman sitting on the bus next to me about the R8 sitting on his lap; he went on to tell me what sounded like a condensed version of a Leica brochure ("a famous brand all the top photographers use, it's really just a more pure experience of photography") but I should really try the Fuji X system since I probably wouldn't be able to afford one. I had my M5 around my neck.

-Another guy with 2 Sony A7s around his neck who, unsolicited, explained to me what a mirrorless camera was, why they're the best for street photography, and struggled to explain what an F-stop was. I was at my own exhibition reception, wearing a name tag.

-And re: bicycles. On a century ride this past weekend, I asked a rider at a rest stop how his aero-road bike was handling on such a long and hilly route. His response was something about there being not a lot of gears, but SRAM makes the best ones, and rambling on about Rapha (which, to the uninformed, is a cycling clothing brand with a mystique not unlike Leica).

In short, I like talking about cameras, or bikes for that matter. Except when all you have to say is that yours is better than mine.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 08-20-2019   #44
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
In my limited amateurish experience I had the same. Rolleiflex, Polaroid Land Camera, even the old Nikon FM2T ...of course the Rolleiflex still is the queen...

A similar thought I recently read in this article on the British journal od Photography about the work of the photographer Antony Sojka on the Halligen (North sea island) where people were quite defensive about photography, I think an interesting read.
Thanks for sharing that link. Lovely work, and an astute observation from the artist that is substantially different than the 'film is more real than digital' trope. I don't do a lot of portraiture, but when it's been asked of me, I tend toward film, either by my own choice or requested by the subject. I think people respect the craft of it, and understand it to be different than something akin to a school headshot. There is an element of the 'art vs commodity' aspect too, of course. To mix references and borrow from Ruskin, its the Spirit of Sacrifice, not necessarily the size of the camera, though that helps!

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 08-20-2019   #45
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
-I made a comment to a gentleman sitting on the bus next to me about the R8 sitting on his lap; he went on to tell me what sounded like a condensed version of a Leica brochure ("a famous brand all the top photographers use, it's really just a more pure experience of photography") but I should really try the Fuji X system since I probably wouldn't be able to afford one. I had my M5 around my neck.
Any Leicaphile worth their salt should be able to recognize a M5.

I think I've only seen one other M5 out in the wild, walking around the Ferry Building in SF with my family. I had mine slung around my shoulder, and I regret not making conversation, if only to say, "Nice camera".

flickr

Old 08-20-2019   #46
CharlesDAMorgan

Any Leicaphile should be able to recognise an M5 owner from the cricked neck!

If I saw one I'd say hi, in the same way I greet people with old cars of the type I have owned. Unless they were wrapped up in photography.

I did once have someone in my D700 days make a positive comment about good to see a 700, which I did find rather odd given I was standing by an immensely rare V12 Lagonda from the 30s, which on the whole I thought was worthy of a bit more respect!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 08-20-2019   #47
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I did once have someone in my D700 days make a positive comment about good to see a 700, which I did find rather odd given I was standing by an immensely rare V12 Lagonda from the 30s, which on the whole I thought was worthy of a bit more respect!

At a car show, I was shooting with my Ricohmatic 44... For those who have never seen one, the Ricohmatic 44 is a kind of 1950s-Googie-style modern-looking TLR that shoots 127 film. It comes painted in a utilitarian-looking gray or tan crinkle-coat paint. But the only comments I heard were "Is that a video camera?". It was funny because more than one person asked.

Old 08-20-2019   #48
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
-Another guy with 2 Sony A7s around his neck who, unsolicited, explained to me what a mirrorless camera was, why they're the best for street photography, and struggled to explain what an F-stop was. I was at my own exhibition reception, wearing a name tag....
Dood that is so funny! I had the same thing happen to me - some guy with a Sony something had no interest in looking at the photography and paintings at my gallery but was following me around trying to show me what his Sony could do!
It was so weird.

Old 08-20-2019   #49
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
At a car show, I was shooting with my Ricohmatic 44... For those who have never seen one, the Ricohmatic 44 is a kind of 1950s-Googie-style modern-looking TLR that shoots 127 film. It comes painted in a utilitarian-looking gray or tan crinkle-coat paint. But the only comments I heard were "Is that a video camera?". It was funny because more than one person asked.
Your're welcome.

Ricoh Ricohmatic 44 by Mike Novak, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-20-2019   #50
css9450

^ That's the beast! Pretty much unlike almost everything else.

Old 08-21-2019   #51
Guy Pinhas

Short story before I get to the thread’s point.

A while back I loaned my Rolleiflex f3.5a to a friend who was going to visit her dad and wanted to take some nice portraits of him. When she returned it, she gave me eight rolls of expired color film as a thank you which was super nice.
Life does its thing I forgot about the film. I recently posted some images shot with the Rolleiflex and one of the things that I mentioned is that I am going to shoot it more often as I really want to get the hang of it. Last week, as I was cleaning the fridge, I found the film all the way in the back.

Fast forward to today. Right across the street from my office there is a park. In the middle of the park there is this small nature preserve of sorts. Most people never go in there as it is gated but few people know that the gates are simply open and you can just walk in there and wander around.
So I was walking around and there were two guys who were smoking weed. I nodded and asked them if the weed was good, they gave me big smiles and approving nods and made gesture offering for me to partake. I graciously declined but one of the guys immediately chatted me up about the camera. He though it was a Polaroid but I explained what the Rolleiflex was. Anyway, I agree, Rolleiflexes are deffo conversation pieces!

Old 08-21-2019   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Pinhas View Post
Short story before I get to the thread’s point.

A while back I loaned my Rolleiflex f3.5a to a friend who was going to visit her dad and wanted to take some nice portraits of him. When she returned it, she gave me eight rolls of expired color film as a thank you which was super nice.
Life does its thing I forgot about the film. I recently posted some images shot with the Rolleiflex and one of the things that I mentioned is that I am going to shoot it more often as I really want to get the hang of it. Last week, as I was cleaning the fridge, I found the film all the way in the back.

Fast forward to today. Right across the street from my office there is a park. In the middle of the park there is this small nature preserve of sorts. Most people never go in there as it is gated but few people know that the gates are simply open and you can just walk in there and wander around.
So I was walking around and there were two guys who were smoking weed. I nodded and asked them if the weed was good, they gave me big smiles and approving nods and made gesture offering for me to partake. I graciously declined but one of the guys immediately chatted me up about the camera. He though it was a Polaroid but I explained what the Rolleiflex was. Anyway, I agree, Rolleiflexes are deffo conversation pieces!
And, apparently, weed too...

Old 08-21-2019   #53
dourbalistar

So.... nobody else is curious what kind of bike Huss rides? Bikes can be conversation starters, too.

flickr

Old 08-21-2019   #54
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
So.... nobody else is curious what kind of bike Huss rides? Bikes can be conversation starters, too.
Anything you that two people are interested in can be no?

Old 08-21-2019   #55
Ambro51

Back in the mid ‘70s I had a Rolleicird Vb and pretty well got the same “weird camera” reactions from people....back then.

Old 08-21-2019   #56
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Do they ask about sensor corrosion?

Was asked about my M4-2 yesterday. Regular street walk after work. Spend some time to explain. The person who asked pulled out XA2 from his pocket.

Old 08-23-2019   #57
Huss

Don't let their expression fool you, this couple was very friendly and happy to have their pic taken.
This is their game face.

Rolleiflex 2.8E, expired Kodak NC160. Her hair was so bright the colour reflected off her man!

He said my camera was filthy. I checked it and it looked pretty clean to me...

Old 08-24-2019   #58
jsrockit

Quote:
Her hair was so bright the colour reflected off her man!
Haha, awesome...

Old 08-24-2019   #59
gnuyork

Quote:
Today I participated in Ciclavia:

https://www.ciclavia.org/ciclavia_meet_the_hollywoods19

Which means I took some cameras and rode along..

People's reaction to my Rolleiflex was really amusing. So many came up to me to ask about it, and take pictures of it! And were very happy for me to take their photos.
TLRs are really good icebreakers if you want to take pics of strangers!
I agree. The Rolleiflex has this power.

Old 08-24-2019   #60
seagrove
Rich

This past Wednesday I was at my local coffeshop and had a local commercial/seniors photographer (that I had never met) admire my Fuji X100S. Even asked if it was a Leica!

Old 08-24-2019   #61
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
And, apparently, weed too...
Hahahahaha!