Sigma fp
Old 07-11-2019   #1
Black
Photographer.

Sigma fp

First! lol

Full frame mirrorless, Bayer sensor shocker!
Worlds smallest FF system offering.
Seems to be very cinema oriented.
Looks like a pre-Quattro dp, but with interchangeable lenses.
Not sure about the full time electronic shutter, but what do I know.

Opinions: GO!

Old 07-11-2019   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I looked and blinked ... I could have sworn I saw my DP Merrill.

I still have both of my DPMs and still love the little jiggers ... what an interesting little camera this appears to be and what an amazing company Sigma is.

Old 07-11-2019   #3
jbielikowski
call me Jan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5e580-K2z8

looks cool!

Old 07-11-2019   #4
nickthetasmaniac

I don't know if it's for me (not enough info yet), but I really like that it isn't another 'me too' dSLR-esque body. Reminds me of a RX1 with an interchangeable mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
Hah, they pinched my Cron Collapsible

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 07-11-2019   #5
lynnb

Reminds me of the BlackMagic. In a good way. Go Sigma!
Flickr

Old 07-11-2019   #6
Archlich

Price, price, price. Given the Panasonic S1's rather high price point this won't come cheap as well.

BTW both the EOS RP and the original a7 are just about 2 oz heavier and come with viewfinder, hotshoe and (in the RP's case) fully articulated screen. Stiff competition out there.

Old 07-11-2019   #7
shawn

Love that they kept the 21:9 mode of the SQ Quattro in it. Full frame and with adapted lenses this could be fun for panoramic shots.

Shawn

Old 07-11-2019   #8
lynnb

This is really funny - I clicked on the link to Sigma's Global Vision site about the camera... and the page is taking a wet week to load! I hope it writes images a little faster...

OK it's loaded - looks very interesting so far.

Edit: "The SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 allows SIGMA SA mount and SIGMA’s CANON EF mount interchangeable lens owners to use their lens investment on L-Mount camera bodies."
- I wonder if Canon EF lenses can be mounted on the FP (and other L-mount cameras) with this adapter?

Note also the FP appears to only have an electronic shutter (not a mechanical one).
Flickr

Old 07-11-2019   #9
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Price, price, price. Given the Panasonic S1's rather high price point this won't come cheap as well.
What does the price of the Panasonic have to do with the price of the Sigma? Other than sharing a mount they’re completely different cameras... After all, the S1 is a completely different price to the Leica SL.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 07-11-2019   #10
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post

Edit: "The SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 allows SIGMA SA mount and SIGMA’s CANON EF mount interchangeable lens owners to use their lens investment on L-Mount camera bodies."
- I wonder if Canon EF lenses can be mounted on the FP (and other L-mount cameras) with this adapter?
Should be able to. I have the Sigma MC-11 (EF to Sony E mount) and use Sigma and Canon lenses on my Sony.

Shawn

Old 07-11-2019   #11
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
What does the price of the Panasonic have to do with the price of the Sigma? Other than sharing a mount they’re completely different cameras... After all, the S1 is a completely different price to the Leica SL.
I believe the price of each brand are coordinated to a certain degree to reflect different roles they play in the L-mount alliance. If they compete fiercely with each other there won't be much chance standing against the other big boys right?

It would certainly be nice if Sigma would price the FP at a lower price point like the EOS RP's budget $1300. But lenses aside, Sigma cameras were never cheap, especially so after it re-imaged itself as a semi-premium manufacturer with a series of high quality products under Mr. Kazuto Yamaki, the young successor of the company. So until the dream eventually comes true, I won't hold my breath for it.

Old 07-11-2019   #12
retinax

A cine camera, doesn't look very practical for still photography. Unergonomic, no thumb and index finger wheels, standard shoe only as an add-on, doesn't look like it has a tilting screen and the eye-level finder is an abomination...

Old 07-11-2019   #13
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
A cine camera, doesn't look very practical for still photography. Unergonomic, no thumb and index finger wheels, standard shoe only as an add-on, doesn't look like it has a tilting screen and the eye-level finder is an abomination...
Also, despite having an external microphone jack there's no headphone monitoring jack. That seems a strange omission given how they're advertising it as a cine camera as much as a stills camera.

Another interesting thing for still photography is:
"Flash Tuning Speed Max. 1/30sec. * 1/15 sec. or less at 14bit".
Do they mean flash synchronisation speed?
Flickr

Old 07-11-2019   #14
benlees

Ummm... it has a Bayer sensor. Is it really a Sigma?

Last edited by benlees : 07-11-2019 at 07:30. Reason: spelling!

Old 07-11-2019   #15
jsrockit

This camera will be cheap-ish. I kind of like it.

Old 07-11-2019   #16
nightfly

Don't really see what the point of making such a small body when the lenses are so large. It looks neat but those L mounts are pretty big.

Old 07-11-2019   #17
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

Ok, Sigma; you've got my attention.

I look forward to seeing a lot more information about this thing before I form an opinion; but I will say this kind of size and flexibility is exactly what I've always thought COULD be some of what digital camera technology could offer, if we could just get away from being hamstrung by film-era camera designs and lens mounts. It'll be interesting to see what Sigma has here - and what they do next.

Old 07-11-2019   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Don't really see what the point of making such a small body when the lenses are so large. It looks neat but those L mounts are pretty big.
They have the new 45mm 2.8 that is small. It was released at the same time.

Old 07-11-2019   #19
B-9
Devin Bro

Love it.

I like the boxy design and the modular accessories.

Definitely beyond my budget either way.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 07-11-2019   #20
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post

Agreed. Such a small body (with, what, 9 buttons on the back) with those big Sigma lenses is an ergonomic back fire. And no viewfinder...

So small but destined for a tripod. Odd.

Old 07-11-2019   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Agreed. Such a small body (with, what, 9 buttons on the back) with those big Sigma lenses is an ergonomic back fire.
Again, the new 45mm is small.

Old 07-11-2019   #22
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Looks VERY interesting to this fella

Old 07-11-2019   #23
jsrockit

Now...with a grip...

and some other basic accessories: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/came...s/accessories/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 4.12.58 PM.jpg (14.1 KB, 37 views)

Old 07-11-2019   #24
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post

For a 45mm 2.8 it's a behemoth lol; I'm sure [hope] there are other 'small' lenses in pipeline, but if you don't want 45mm then...

Old 07-11-2019   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

As much as this fascinates me it's not the Sigma I would want but according to rumour the full frame foveon is still in the wings if you can believe that. Aside from the diminutive size I don't see what the excitement is about. There is no damned viewfinder and no mechanical shutter so no real surprise it's so tiny because all we have is a sensor surrounded by a box of electronics backed up with an LCD screen and a lens mount on the front. I like to be able to put a camera up to my eye when I take a photograph and preferably not with that accessory viewfinder they offer ... with a longish lens you have the photographic equivalent of a bazooka with that thing on!

Hopefully they will bring out something that looks like the Quattro that does actually have a full frame foveon sensor that will handle like an actual camera. That said I wish them success with this because they are a clever company and definitely think outside the box.

Old 07-11-2019   #26
jsrockit

I guess this is something that interests me for a few reasons. I've been thinking that 45mm is a perfect focal length for me. I've been wanting something small, but FF to go with my Fujis. The RX1R II was the only option and I don't like 35mm FOV. Also, I have some skin damage due to the bright sun here in Chile and on bright sunny days when I have to wear a hat... I keep hitting the brim of my hat with my camera when doing vertical shots (80% of my photos). A really nice LCD camera could do the trick. We will see. Rolling shutter?

Old 07-11-2019   #27
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It just another rare camera, which most will ignore, due to incapable battery and sluggish AF.
It is 400 + 200 weight to have AF. Nowhere near Sony RX1 weight. So, they not smallest FF camera.
With pinhole only.

Old 07-11-2019   #28
ptpdprinter

I'm old fashioned. I like viewfinders unless I'm under a dark cloth. This new camera is of no interest to me. Small camera, big lenses. What's the point?

Old 07-11-2019   #29
Samouraï

Pretty cool looking, but wake me when the Foveon version is released.

Old 07-11-2019   #30
benlees

Sigma has an underdog quality that somehow is accentuated because they never quite get it right but don't give up. When you put Sigma into google search they don't come up first. For love or money...

Old 07-11-2019   #31
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

I see all the complaints about this just being a tiny box with a sensor and a lens mount and little else, and you're right; but I think this is the POINT. It seems pretty clear that Sigma is thinking of this as a modular camera, with only the most essential parts built in so that the end users can set it up with the parts they need; so you're not paying for components you won't use (like a viewfinder or hotshoe if you're buying it to use as a video camera, or a big grip if you're going to put it on a tripod or into a steady cam rig, or microphones and sound ports if you're buying it to use as a stills camera, etc.)

This is what I was getting at with my comment above about this little box possibly representing the real flexibility that should be unlocked with modern digital camera design. If this thing offers truly excellent imaging from a top notch sensor and access to one fo the best and most versatile lens mounts out there, and everything else can be customized by the user for the exact purpose they intend, that could help keep waste, redundancy, and cost down. The argument that the box is too small to bother with if the lenses are huge is ignoring the modular intent. If you use this little box as the only part it is (sensor and lens mount) and put on the other parts you need for your purpose (as the promotional video clearly shows is their idea for this) then it's only as big as it needs to be; all the other parts get added to do what you need. Thinking about this primarily from the point of view of stills shooters, maybe this seems silly; but nobody building cameras these days (besides Leica...) thinks of these tools as only for stills. Video is, if not the primary purpose, at least needs to be a serious consideration. Have you folks looked at how video shooters set up their cameras these days? Especially pros are always using separate monitors, focusing rigs, microphones and other sound gear. From that context this design makes a lot of sense. That Sigma has also thought of using this is a stills camera, and provides add-ons for that is just icing to make this more appealing to those who might want to use a body like this for both stills and video.

Just my 2 cents. Anyway, as I said above, I look forward to more info. Once we see reviews, sample images, pricing and availability, battery life, etc. etc. etc. we can re-evaluate the purpose and the relative success of a this camera. But if they get it right, this could be a real winner for Sigma. Maybe it won't be for everyone, but if they implement this right, it could be an incredibly useful and versatile basis of a truly complete and wildly flexible shooting platform for lots of users.

Last edited by drewbarb : 07-11-2019 at 17:48. Reason: Clarity and grammar.

Old 07-11-2019   #32
nlubis

I like it. Looking forward for more details.

Old 07-11-2019   #33
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
It just another rare camera, which most will ignore, due to incapable battery and sluggish AF.
It is 400 + 200 weight to have AF. Nowhere near Sony RX1 weight. So, they not smallest FF camera.
With pinhole only.
Huh? You’ve tried it already to know how it performs? and I'm sure they mean lightest and smallest interchangeable lens mirrorless FF... which it surely is. But I don't expect anything but negativity from you anyway.

To me, lack of EVF, perhaps short battery life, rolling shutter, only one small lens, etc are fair points... but in a world of me too mirrorless cameras, I always commend Sigma for trying different ideas.

Old 07-11-2019   #34
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I'm old fashioned. I like viewfinders unless I'm under a dark cloth. This new camera is of no interest to me. Small camera, big lenses. What's the point?
Small camera and a lens mount that will allow almost any lens made to mount to it.

Shawn

Old 07-11-2019   #35
jarski

Sigma: shut up and take my money!

edit: uh oh... I want my money back. thought this was Foveon camera

Old 07-11-2019   #36
farlymac
PF McFarland

One thing that struck me as I was watching that video with all the accessories presented was the size of the flash unit. It's almost three times the size of the camera body!

If it does come in at a decent price, I'd be sticking a 35mm Cron on the front, and let 'er rip!

PF

ps: I also like that fp is the reverse of my inititals, PF

Old 07-11-2019   #37
Archiver

I sincerely hope that Sigma get this right. There are hints that they will, but some hints that it might be more cumbersome than useful.

- there's no EVF as yet, and the huge OVF clip on for the back is clunky as heck
- raw output for video is fantastic, but Cinema DNG is ludicrously large and will fill up your storage like nobody's business. Blackmagic have compressed raw as well as various flavours of ProRes, which is an industry standard for capture and editing, so hopefully Sigma will move in that direction.
- being able to adjust tone curves and Sigma's Fill Light in-camera is going to be amazing
- the modular design means that we'll see Smallrig et al make cages and everything for this very soon. Hopefully, third parties will make bolt-on grips and battery plates, maybe even a compact EVF

This is really, really appealing to me. My only concern is that it's a first generation Sigma product, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence given their track record for first gen iterations.

Old 07-12-2019   #38
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
I sincerely hope that Sigma get this right. There are hints that they will, but some hints that it might be more cumbersome than useful.
Yep, I feel the same way...

Old 07-12-2019   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post

Cumbersome as in DP Merrill cumbersome?

Those little DPMs are a serious photographic tool but they certainly challenge your patience!

Old 07-12-2019   #40
Archlich

Not very portable, at the moment at the moment, with native lenses other than the 45/2.8.

The updated spec shows the camera to have a familiar 49-point contrast detect autofocus system. So it's Panasonic again.