Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

The Only New Rolleicord?
Old 03-27-2019   #1
Asim

The Only New Rolleicord?

Back in 1970, my uncle requested my father buy him a Rolleiflex from Germany upon his return to Pakistan from his university studies in England. My father didn't have much money at the time and ended up purchasing a Rolleicord Vb instead using his student allowance. When he presented the Cord to my uncle, my uncle declined and said that he had only wanted a Rolleiflex.

My father already had a professional photography business at the time selling E6 slides to agencies with his 35mm Voigtlander Vito CLR and had no use for the medium format camera. So the Rolleicord got packed away.

Fast forward to the 2000s. My father handed me the Rolleicord and asked if I had any use for it. As I was traveling for teaching assignments overseas, I wanted to travel light and so returned it after only putting two rolls through it. My father packed it away again.

Fast forward to 2019. My father has asked that I sell the Rolleicord or keep it since no one has used it since 1970.

I have been using a Leica MP and Contax T3 for over ten years and have been happy with this 35mm setup. With this Rolleicord now in my hands I have decided to give it another try... remembering how nice the photos were from the two rolls I had shot years earlier.

I have just gotten a roll of FP4+ and put new batteries into my hand held light meter. I'll be driving to a scenic spot in Manotick, Ontario today to take photos.

Old 03-27-2019   #2
Prest_400
Multiformat

If only! The Cord V unit I have requires an overhaul and focus is off to show the virtues of that Xenar properly.

Vb goes for a nice rate in the market, but knowing its history and by being in the family there's one reason to keep... the other is 6x6 being a nice format and under many conditions superior to 35mm.
Flexes do have better lenses (observing good condition) but the Xenar/Tessar has a different character that can be preferred, specially the softer wider open for portraits. Closing down past f8 brings the best off it. There are threads here about this.

OT but discussing about the New Mamiya 6 I do wonder what if Leica made a 6x6 RF in the heydays.

Old 03-27-2019   #3
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Funny, I was just reading about Flexicords yesterday. One of my daughters is fascinated by TLRs. But I'd rather get Vb again. My first one was just after service, it came with oily smell

Old 03-27-2019   #4
Karlovak

I've never in practice figured out why the aperture needs to change when changing the exposure time. Plus I don't like the cocking/shutter release system, would prefer a button.

The Xenar is sweet though, as Prest_400 said, nice and dreamy wide open.

Old 03-27-2019   #5
jsrockit

Lucky *******...

Old 03-27-2019   #6
Asim

Prest400... Yes, I'll be keeping the Rolleicord just because of the history.

Karlovak... the aperture and shutter are linked so that one can work with EVs. Also, my Rolleicord has a button for a shutter release. This means that a photo can be taken by pressing the button or pushing the cocking mechanism sideways. Quite nifty, I thought.

JSRockit... I can't argue with you on that one! I'd agree... lucky!

Old 03-27-2019   #7
Karlovak

^Oh yeah, you mean these short releases you can put in the cable release socket. Hadn't thought of it, should look out for one.