Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

wrist strap or shoulder strap?
Old 10-20-2017   #1
back alley
IMAGES

wrist strap or shoulder strap?

how do you decide which to use?
and those that use no strap at all, just hold on to the camera...how did you decide that was the route for you?
now that i have 2 tiny cameras where the straps take up as much if not more than the cameras i'm thinking about going back to wrist straps...except i might like having that free hand too much.

Old 10-20-2017   #2
BillBingham2

I used a wrist strap on GRDs and loved it. When I needed the other hand the camera either moved to the other hand or into a pocket.

On my Bessa L I used an old Nikon thin neck strap that weighed almost nothing. I was going to switch to a Gordy Strap but never got around to it.

Nothing else felt light enough.

B2 (;->

Old 10-20-2017   #3
f16sunshine

I use both. Depends on the camera and which lens it wears.
Fuji xe/27mm is wrist strap. Xt1/35mm is neck.
Sony a7/legacy lens is neck.
Rolleiflex neck. Gf670. Wrist Lanyard (long wrist strap)
Xa3/mju2 wrist. Eos rt/50/100mm neck.

For walk around cameras I keep them on my neck with one arm through the strap so they hang at hip.
Little caneras stay on the wrist. Sometimes I push the strap up my arm to my elbow to do other tasks.
Cameras have to be at the ready otherwise whats the point.
If I’m not taking pictures I don’t bother taking a camera.
If I am, lens caps are off and camera is in hand or ready on my hip or wrist.
I rarely carry a bag primarily holding cameras. If I have a bag it's full of other stuff but the camera is out. (including maybe film or battery never extra body or lens).
I'm not a "street" photographer in any way really. If I was it would be mostly wrist strap!

Old 10-20-2017   #4
summar

I like neck straps because they keep both hands free.

Old 10-20-2017   #5
barnwulf

I use neck straps but my hands are never free as I always have at least one hand wrapped around my camera. I feel more secure with a neck strap to prevent dropping the camera in case it's knocked from my hand - jim

Old 10-20-2017   #6
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I seem to like wrist straps only for the very smallest cameras. My D-Lux 6, and X10 for example. For the X100, Leica M, D700, etc., that's what neck straps are for. On the Barnacks, I may use a Tamrac hand strap that still attaches with two lugs but is short and carried in the hand. They have decoupling connectors so I can change the hand strap to a neck strap without having to remove the strap from the camera's lugs. I use only hand straps on Hasselblad 500c/m. Nothing that heavy is going around my neck!

Old 10-20-2017   #7
bhop73

If the camera can't fit into a pocket, then it gets a neck strap. Sometimes I need my hands free.

Old 10-20-2017   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I’ve bought half cases for my point and shoot cameras only to have neck straps. I’d just destroy a camera I had attached to my wrist.

Old 10-20-2017   #9
ktmrider

Use both with a wrist strap on the Fuji X70 and a neck strap on everything else. And my M2 wears a combo from Gordy. It has both neck and wrist straps incorporated into one unit and is strongly suggested. He has a great web site.

Old 10-20-2017   #10
Doug A

I need a shoulder strap to hold my camera steady for shooting. The camera is on a short strap over my right shoulder. I have to pull it tight to get the viewfinder up to my eye. Along with pressing the camera against my nose and my brow it allows me to shoot at significantly lower shutter speeds than trying to do it "freehand."

Old 10-20-2017   #11
kxl
Social Documentary

My gear:

DSLR and Sony A7R, I prefer a shoulder strap for the support

Sony RX100 - too small for anything but a wrist strap

Zeiss ZI - Gordy's wrist strap and Leicagoodies Sling. I carry extra lenses in a small shoulder bag. This set up is comfortable for me and allows quick lens changes and film loading.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-20-2017   #12
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

That's how a strap can really help, especially with a heavier camera. I learned that lesson shooting target rifles.
Wrist strap with the Leica Standard, neck strap with the M2, nothing with the Retina, it has all kinds of grippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug A View Post
I need a shoulder strap to hold my camera steady for shooting. The camera is on a short strap over my right shoulder. I have to pull it tight to get the viewfinder up to my eye. Along with pressing the camera against my nose and my brow it allows me to shoot at significantly lower shutter speeds than trying to do it "freehand."

Old 10-20-2017   #13
ruby.monkey

Usually I go strapless because having to hold my camera in hand makes me much more likely actually to take photos, and because the strap often gets in the way. The only time I use a strap is when it's likely that I'd drop the camera otherwise (swimming with my P&S, for instance) or when I'll need my hands free in a hurry (when I'm out with my kids and have to keep the little buggers under control).

Old 10-20-2017   #14
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I use WS for small digital P&S and film like Oly Trip 35.
Anything bigger - SS. Because of the weight and more secure handling.

Old 10-20-2017   #15
back alley
IMAGES

some interesting points...always like to see how others think or reason...even for small things like camera straps.
small items and wrist straps are good except for not having a free hand if pockets are too small. i always have a hand on my camera no matter which strap i use...i hate that sinking feeling as you watch and listen to your camera fall and hit the concrete sidewalk. (my old canon p)...
the fuji xe3 is so small it would be wonderful to hold naked but i would not dare...old hands. the xe3 could also easily work well with a wrist strap...when i shot rangefinders i kept 2 in the bag and exchanged them instead of changing lenses...could also work with xe3/xt20...

Old 10-20-2017   #16
maddoc
... likes film.

I use a neck-strap from Artist & Artisan that I convert to a wrist strap on the fly by making an overhand loop.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-21-2017   #17
jazzwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
If the camera can't fit into a pocket, then it gets a neck strap. Sometimes I need my hands free.
+1

I'm using wrist strap for my Ricoh GR and shoulder strap for my M or Fuji X.

~ron~

Old 10-24-2017   #18
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
how do you decide which to use?
and those that use no strap at all, just hold on to the camera...how did you decide that was the route for you?
now that i have 2 tiny cameras where the straps take up as much if not more than the cameras i'm thinking about going back to wrist straps...except i might like having that free hand too much.
I carried a wrist strap for a while and often wanted a shoulder strap while I was out.

I really like the concept of the Artisan & Artist ACAM-108 as it is a shoulder strap with a built in wrist strap, but could not buy one anywhere.

I now just wrap my shoulder strap around me wrist once or twice while walking around, works just fine for my taste.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 10-24-2017   #19
Archlich

Wrist strap for smaller cameras or for daily commute during when I'd only use the camera occasionally.

Otherwise a Nikon AN-4B shoulder strap, with the faux leather pad replaced by an ultrasuede patch. When missing the convenience of wrist strap I tie a choker hitch around my wrist.

Old 10-24-2017   #20
biomed

I use Gordy's straps on all of my cameras. GH3, GX7, LX100 have wrist straps; one other GX7 has a neck strap. The wrist straps don't get in the way like a neck strap does, IMHO. When mounting cameras on an Arca Swiss equipped tripod, I loop the wrist strap around the tripod before mounting the camera. It provides an extra security measure in case the tripod mount clamp loosens. I use the neck strap equipped camera when giving tours at the place where I volunteer. It allows both hands to be free. The big down side for neck straps for me is the weight on my neck. Back in the day when I was shooting with my medium format and Nikon F2 cameras I did not use any strap at all.

2019 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 10-24-2017   #21
MikeMGB

If I'm out with just a single camera I'll usually put a neck strap on it, unless it'll fit in a pocket then it's often on a wrist strap.

I'f I'm out with a couple of cameras and they're in a bag, it's wrist strap only, neck straps are a pain when stowing or retrieving camera from a bag.

Having said that, larger cameras like a TLR are always on a neck strap, I find wrist straps just don't work with them.

Old 10-24-2017   #22
kingjon

Have a Gordy’s on my Leica and really like it. Feels more secure in the hand. The rest of my cameras have domke’s of some sort or another.

Jon

Old 10-24-2017   #23
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I never was able to adapt to a wrist strap. I like the idea but not for me. I use Domke straps on my heavier cameras and on the lighter ones those Lance straps that I think I got from you Joe. Both instances I use them cross body when I am moving around and then if I settle in I will bring them around in front.

Old 10-24-2017   #24
michaelwj
----------------

Ideally no strap at all. The camera is in my hand ready for action (or in a bag if it's a longer outing).

How did I find no strap was for me? I suppose I got sick of dealing with a strap when the camera was in my hand. Changing cameras or getting cameras in/out of a bag is a PITA when there's a strap involved.

The exception is family outings where I don't want to take a bag but need my hands free for kid stuff. Then it's a shoulder strap, a light cloth AA one.

Old 10-24-2017   #25
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
I never was able to adapt to a wrist strap. I like the idea but not for me. I use Domke straps on my heavier cameras and on the lighter ones those Lance straps that I think I got from you Joe. Both instances I use them cross body when I am moving around and then if I settle in I will bring them around in front.
so that's where my extra straps went to!! lol

Old 10-24-2017   #26
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Quote:
so that's where my extra straps went to!! lol
If Lance makes a somewhat oval strap I'd be interested in that for the heavier gear. When these are cross body it's just as though you had one of those slider type straps. Just grab and bring it to eye. Thanks Joe, I've gotten two more to go with the ones from you.

Old 10-24-2017   #27
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
If Lance makes a somewhat oval strap I'd be interested in that for the heavier gear. When these are cross body it's just as though you had one of those slider type straps. Just grab and bring it to eye. Thanks Joe, I've gotten two more to go with the ones from you.
lance is still my favourite strap...i like the roundness and the length and yes, it's like a slider...so smooth.
also, i like that i can tie it shorter if i want a camera on my chest instead of on my hip.

Old 10-25-2017   #28
jsrockit

Very small cameras, wrist strap. More substantial cameras, neck strap. The largest I've gone wrist strap with in the X100F.

Old 10-25-2017   #29
JoeLopez

Quote:
lance is still my favourite strap...i like the roundness and the length and yes, it's like a slider...so smooth.
also, i like that i can tie it shorter if i want a camera on my chest instead of on my hip.
I find the lance cord straps I use tend to want to slide off the shoulder rather easily compared to other straps due to their shape. I'm about to order a Hawkesmill Kensington for the X100T.

Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

Old 10-25-2017   #30
dmr
Registered Abuser

Wrist for the RFs and small digital. Shoulder for the SLRs.

Old 10-25-2017   #31
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
I find the lance cord straps I use tend to want to slide off the shoulder rather easily compared to other straps due to their shape. I'm about to order a Hawkesmill Kensington for the X100T.
i wear them over the shoulder and pull the camera body up to shoot.

Old 10-25-2017   #32
JoeLopez

Quote:
i wear them over the shoulder and pull the camera body up to shoot.
Wearing cross chest works fine as well while walking, perhaps the length I chose is too short to pull it up from and shoot frequently like that.

Also, If I also have a bag with me, that doesn't work very well. Over the shoulder works better for me.

Old 10-25-2017   #33
daveleo
what?

Neck strap 80% of the time (worn bandalero style). Battery in pocket. Wrist strap with the camera, cell phone, etc in a small Domke.
Depends on my mood that day, and the size of the rig.

Old 10-25-2017   #34
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
Wearing cross chest works fine as well while walking, perhaps the length I chose is too short to pull it up from and shoot frequently like that.

Also, If I also have a bag with me, that doesn't work very well. Over the shoulder works better for me.
i ordered extra long straps...around 64 inches iirc...

Old 10-25-2017   #35
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Wrist strap for smaller cameras or for daily commute during when I'd only use the camera occasionally.

Otherwise a Nikon AN-4B shoulder strap, with the faux leather pad replaced by an ultrasuede patch. When missing the convenience of wrist strap I tie a choker hitch around my wrist.
My method exactly. Well, my old, red Panny G-1 has the rather rare wine colored AN-4W, but its functionally the same. Along with a couple of AN-4B straps, I also have an old Canon strap that is a match to the Nikon AN-4Y except it is silver grey instead of yellow and has Canon's logo woven into it. These are mostly 25-35 years old, have been used extensively, and are still in good shape.

A short, relatively narrow neck strap can function as a wrist strap by just looping around your wrist. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 10-25-2017   #36
mpaniagua

Wrist when taking a camera that I can put into my pocket or when I want camera to be discreet.

Shoulder/neck strap when using a large camera (Rolleiflex) or taking the camera for a long period of time.

By the way, camera straps get changed often on my cameras, depending on situation or mood.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 10-25-2017   #37
mdarnton

I have a bunch of 60s-style thin leather neck neck straps that I made, replicas of the Schwalberg Strapateer strap. When I want to carry a camera in my hand, I loop the strap around my wrist a couple of times until the camera hangs just right for holding in my hand. I usually only do this when I'm carrying a lens like my 50/1.1 Nokton that worries me that it might tear out the strap lugs some day, and when I'm using that I like a hand grip on the camera, too. :-)
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 10-25-2017   #38
AlexBG

I've always been an unhappy wriststrap and unhappy neck strap guy, wrist for smaller cameras, neck for larger. Always felt uncomfortable but has saved the camera a few times so stuck with it. Just got https://www.facebook.com/HyperionCameraStraps/ one of these in the longest length, perfect cross body strap for the leica. The connector loops are not the best but for the price and ease I'm very happy. Camera is very secure cross bosy and easy to get pictures with.

Old 10-26-2017   #39
Dogman

Everything I own has a neck strap except for the Ricoh GRII. It has a wrist strap that I seldom use. I just carry it in a pocket most of the time, using the wrist strap only when I remove it to make a picture or when I use the 21mm equivalent conversion lens.

I like to keep my hands free. Seems I always need to carry or handle something other than a camera. Sometimes I carry a camera with the strap over my shoulder but it needs frequent readjusting otherwise it will slide off. I hate the cross chest method of carrying a single camera--it would require an extra long strap for someone of my size anyway. Having a camera around my neck is not a great solution but it's the best compromise I've found.

Old 10-26-2017   #40
Tony Whitney

General, I prefer wrist straps for smaller cameras and have tried many. Gordy's are great and I have many on various cameras. I like the string loop attachments unless the camera is really heavy. I recently bought an X-Pro II and am using it with an Artisan & Artist wrist strap made from fabric and leather. It's very comfortable and as I would never use a camera without some kind of strap, I loop my hand through it before the camera is removed from its small Ona bag, which is worn bandolier-style. Works for me! Cheers all. Tony