Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica SL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #121
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
I wonder where did the SL2 having "microlenses being optimized for M lenses" statement come from? Doesn't seem to be explicitly mentioned by Leica anywhere.
It's not. People are just making it up to rationalize purchasing an SL2 for their M glass. Then once they acquire the SL2, they'll rationalize their purchase of SL glass on already having the SL2 body. It's all a game. Does any of this make them better photographers? Doubtful.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #122
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
It's not. People are just making it up to rationalize purchasing an SL2 for their M glass. Then once they acquire the SL2, they'll rationalize their purchase of SL glass on already having the SL2 body. It's all a game. Does any of this make them better photographers? Doubtful.

This is what I am trying to stay away from. Staying with M cameras may be for me a better route to take. Getting an SL or SL2 will most likely make me want to use SL lenses.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #123
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I am watching the interview. He stresses the importance of taking photos.
The tolerances of the SL lenses cannot be topped. Very impressive.
Raid,

Consider the Leica "S."

I went to a workshop held at the Leica Store Soho where a demonstration of using "S" glass on a SL was the program.

I was wondering who and why that would be done, so I went. Leica makes a "L" to "S" adapter, and the lens used for the demo was a 100/2.0 S-lens.

John Kreider the Leica Specialist for the S and SL took some shots of me and the SL was tethered to an Apple laptop. Then he zoomed into the corner of my eye.

Understand that I owned a SL, so I know what the camera can do, but the skin tone and detail took things to the next level.

The "Mike the Skinny Hipster" who is a working pro fashion photographer, who happens to live right above me in my building gives me a call to come up because he just borrowed a three lens Leica "S" kit from Leica.

Mike is a Canon DSLR shooter, and pretty much he knocked on a door on the Lower Eastside and this guy handed him a Pelican case like a 70's drug deal.

So it was easy to see that the SL was derived from the Leica S. Even the menus were similar. This was before the M10 was released. Pretty much the M10 is the SL as a rangefinder.

Currently there are rumors about a new S3. I'm pretty sure thereafter a SL3, and then finally a M11.

Right now the SL2 has a Maestro 3 processor. The M10 only a Maestro 2 processor, the same processor that is in my SL.

Knowing how the technology transfers down allows one to see a bigger picture. Keep an eye on the S3 announcement.

Also know that I have a friend who just acquired a Leica "S." I told him about how the SL uses the "sweet-spot" of Leica "S" glass for large format like detail.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #124
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Thanks for this information, Cal. This race for better cameras and lenses can be less inspiring to me. I long for the old times when I was using Canon FD film cameras and lenses. Life was simple then. I believe you when you say that "skin tone and detail took things to the next level;"

SL-SL2-SL3 ....who knows what will be next.

Camera technology has become like computer technology, and it is a fact that moving forward is the only direction to take for many. Once I learned of the SL2, getting an SL suddenly became less attractive. Once there will be an M11, I bet that the M10 will also become less of a target for me.

It makes sense to slow down and use again some film cameras.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #125
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks for this information, Cal. This race for better cameras and lenses can be less inspiring to me. I long for the old times when I was using Canon FD film cameras and lenses. Life was simple then. I believe you when you say that "skin tone and detail took things to the next level;"

SL-SL2-SL3 ....who knows what will be next.

Camera technology has become like computer technology, and it is a fact that moving forward is the only direction to take for many. Once I learned of the SL2, getting an SL suddenly became less attractive. Once there will be an M11, I bet that the M10 will also become less of a target for me.

It makes sense to slow down and use again some film cameras.
Raid,

I still own my MM which I bought new. I still love this camera warts and all. Still a great camera. Likely the most unforgiving digital camera: CCD sensor; no chance of recovering highlights; but then again I learned a lot about precision and became a better photographer.

I believe the MM will be a cult classic of sorts.

The way I see it, because I understood where the development of the SL came from (the Leica "S") I knew that the bigger advances would be into the SL first and at a faster pace.

I can't stress that to unwind the advancing technology there is a great consolation that in the Leica glass that they are being "future proofed" well into the future by 3-4 generations of bodies that are yet to be developed. Knowing that L-glass has long legs makes needing to upgrade L-glass unlikely, and actually in my book makes sense over the longer run and the big picture.

Now what if Leica made a SL2M. That would be a game changer. A pretty big step towards large format perhaps. A 47 MP CMOS sensor would be like a much higher resolution sensor without a Bayer Filter Array. Not so hard for Leica to develop.

This eventually will be a game changer, and know I already own the glass.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #126
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I understand what you are saying, Huss and Cal, but reality is that the M Kingdom is being set aside for the L Kingdom by Leica. Canon went through something similar whan they switched away from the FD mount. Not the same, but kinda "similar".

I wonder what is lost when using SL lenses on an M compared with using such lenses on an SL2. It leaves a negative feeling in the end, doesn't it.
Sorry Raid you are wrong. M is Leica. RF cameras are Leica. EVF cameras are there to insure the health of the company and that M can prosper.

Itís like saying Porsche will get rid of the 911 because they sell way more SUVs.
Porsche is the 911. The SUVs they sell are there to make sure the company stays healthy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #127
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,038
Raid..why not get the original SL when it goes on sale..and bargain them down further..

Maybe just..not buy into all the SL2 hype..
Use M glass on it..and when you want to put some SL giant perfect glass on it..get the 35 APO..
You will have weather proofing..and a nice video camera..
And less $$ in the bank too..lol..
Personally..I would wait for the M11..
Unless I wanted that SL glass..
Or really needed to be up to date..
Which I dont..
These do just fine..
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #128
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Sorry Raid you are wrong. M is Leica. RF cameras are Leica. EVF cameras are there to insure the health of the company and that M can prosper.

Itís like saying Porsche will get rid of the 911 because they sell way more SUVs.
Porsche is the 911. The SUVs they sell are there to make sure the company stays healthy.
Not completely accurate, Huss.
People wanting to drive a 911 usually don't consider instead getting an SUV.
Yes, Leica wants/needs to survive as a company.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #129
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Raid..why not get the original SL when it goes on sale..and bargain them down further..

Maybe just..not buy into all the SL2 hype..
Use M glass on it..and when you want to put some SL giant perfect glass on it..get the 35 APO..
You will have weather proofing..and a nice video camera..
And less $$ in the bank too..lol..
Personally..I would wait for the M11..
Unless I wanted that SL glass..
Or really needed to be up to date..
Which I dont..
These do just fine..
What you are suggesting is reasonable, Emile.

Getting an SL for right now and then waiting it out for a future buy of an SL lens.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #130
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Raid,

I still own my MM which I bought new. I still love this camera warts and all. Still a great camera. Likely the most unforgiving digital camera: CCD sensor; no chance of recovering highlights; but then again I learned a lot about precision and became a better photographer.

I believe the MM will be a cult classic of sorts.

The way I see it, because I understood where the development of the SL came from (the Leica "S") I knew that the bigger advances would be into the SL first and at a faster pace.

I can't stress that to unwind the advancing technology there is a great consolation that in the Leica glass that they are being "future proofed" well into the future by 3-4 generations of bodies that are yet to be developed. Knowing that L-glass has long legs makes needing to upgrade L-glass unlikely, and actually in my book makes sense over the longer run and the big picture.

Now what if Leica made a SL2M. That would be a game changer. A pretty big step towards large format perhaps. A 47 MP CMOS sensor would be like a much higher resolution sensor without a Bayer Filter Array. Not so hard for Leica to develop.

This eventually will be a game changer, and know I already own the glass.

Cal
You are correct here, Cal.
This is reality.

You are in a good position for future purchases to get the best for your needs.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #131
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
What you are suggesting is reasonable, Emile.

Getting an SL for right now and then waiting it out for a future buy of an SL lens.
Raid,

When I first bought my SL the only native lenses available were the zooms.

I used my M-glass and a Noct-Nikkor and 50 Lux-R "E60" as my fast primes.

In use I would depress the joystick and use the magnification to focus, then tap the shutterbutton to get the full frame.

Pretty much a SLR like experience.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #132
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
I can see myself using an SL with my M lenses. I also want to use lenses by Zeiss in QBM mount (35/1.4-50/1.4-85/1.4). Focusing the 75/1.4 Lux wide open should be easier with the SL's EVF, I think.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #133
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I can see myself using an SL with my M lenses. I also want to use lenses by Zeiss in QBM mount (35/1.4-50/1.4-85/1.4). Focusing the 75/1.4 Lux wide open should be easier with the SL's EVF, I think.
Raid,

A SL with a 75 Lux would kill. The magnification and the VF'er as I outlined above provides a high hit ratio. Also M-lenses seem small on a SL, but the 75 Lux would balance well.

You should also know that under low light conditions the electronic gain of the VF'er is a godsend for night shooting. In this regard it is better than an optical VF'er. Kinda like nightvision built into the camera.

Like I said the 75 Lux would be a killer rig. So good that I might ask, "Why would you need other lenses?" except maybe a wide.

Ely at the Leica Store SoHo mounted the 75 Noctilux on my SL. Now this lens has a very-very shallow DOF, so little that I don't think F1.2 is practical.

A 75 Lux though has this dreamy F1.4 that is magical.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #134
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Thanks Cal!
Such words make me want an SL.
I have a 35 Lux too.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #135
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks Cal!
Such words make me want an SL.
I have a 35 Lux too.
Raid,

I once owned a 75 Lux V.2 before I owned the SL.

I owned a 35 Lux-R that was "E60" like your 75 Lux, and the body of my 35 Lux-R was the same size as my 75 Lux, so I do know how a 75 Lux would feel on a SL.

Also the 35 Lux-R had that same dreamy like F1.4 with that Mandlar signature.

I can tell you that for manual focus lenses a 35 Lux-R and a 75 Lux-M would be a killer kit.

My 28 Cron is "E46" and I have the limited edition vented scalloped hood. It is a tiny bit shorter than a 35 Lux Pre-ASPH I owned. In fact this hood served both lenses. My 28 Cron V1 does well on the SL. BTW it looks evil. LOL.

I will warn you that many m-lenses that are E39 will feel too small, and the focus throw will feel awkward.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #136
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
I have to use the M Lux and not an R Lux, Cal. I also like using the Canon 1.5 trio (35-50-85). Focusing should be easier with an SL.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #137
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Not completely accurate, Huss.
People wanting to drive a 911 usually don't consider instead getting an SUV.
Yes, Leica wants/needs to survive as a company.
A lot of people go to a Porsche dealership thinking they want a 911 but end up with an SUV because it is easier, more practical but still has the Porsche badge.

Which sums up the SL. It is Leicaís SUV.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #138
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
I wonder whether the introduction of the SL2 also impacts M10 market value or not.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #139
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I wonder whether the introduction of the SL2 also impacts M10 market value or not.
Why would it? It is a very different camera. People buy the M because it is a traditional stripped down RF camera. The SL is nothing like it. The M11 will affect the value of the M10..

The SL/SL2 will not work as well as the M cameras with M lenses because it was not designed for it. The sensor does not have micro lenses, because then it would not work as well with the actual lenses designed to be used with the SL/SL2.
I wonder why people keep claiming the SL2 has micro lenses? Because someone started a rumor? Same thing happened with the original SL, then actual users saw that it did not work as well with M glass as the M cameras.

You obviously want an SL (or SL2). Nothing wrong with that. But M cameras aren't going anywhere.
If anything it will be the other way around judging by the sales of the original SL and thus Leica discounting them. Once you step up to mirrorless cameras you are competing directly with the Japanese, and they offer much more (for better or worse) for a lot less money, with far better customer service and service network than what Leica offers.

You should rent an SL. For 90mm and shorter lenses an M is much easier and faster to focus. The SL is very precise but you need to take your time (as with all EVF cameras in manual focus) as you frame, focus magnification pops up to nail focus precisely, then you go back to the full view. With an RF camera - frame, focus, done.
Some people can't get comfortable with RFs and for those EVF, SLR, or AF would be better.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #140
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The SL/SL2 will not work as well as the M cameras with M lenses because it was not designed for it. The sensor does not have micro lenses, because then it would not work as well with the actual lenses designed to be used with the SL/SL2.
I wonder why people keep claiming the SL2 has micro lenses? Because someone started a rumor? Same thing happened with the original SL, then actual users saw that it did not work as well with M glass as the M cameras.
Huss,

What you wrote above is news to me. Do you have a source to back up these claims? Specifically how is optical IQ compromised by using M-glass on a SL.

In my 4 years of use I have not taken notice of any lower IQ. The reason to buy a SL or SL2 is to use it as a multiplatform, and to utilize all kinds of Leica glass without compromise.

As for the claim of SL2 micro lenses being rumor for optimization for M-lenses goes, I kinda believe David Farkas because in his 23 minute 28 second video on The Red Dot Forum he compares the SL and SL2. Somewhere after the first minute he begins and mentions specifically how the SL2 has micro lenses to specifically to deal with the "high incedence angle" of M-glass and mentions "a unique micro lens structure."

David then mentions "weak corner performance" by other cameras made by other manufacturers and specifically mentions how this is more pronounced with wides.

Know that David Farkus is a "Leica Specialist" like my friend John Kreider. If this is a rumor, then it is coming from Leica. Perhaps Leica is making stuff up that is untrue or making false claims. LOL.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvMqGCHUSM

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #141
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
I watched that video last weekend, Cal. His discussions made sense to me.
I also view the SL or SL2 for use as a multi-platform. There are some limitations, such as non-retrofocus design lenses or the Hologon 16/8.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #142
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I watched that video last weekend, Cal. Hos discussions made sense to me.
I also view the SL or SL2 for use as a multi-platform. There are some limitations, such as non-retrofocus design lenses or the Hologon 16/8.
Raid,

No doubt that for manual focusing wides a rangefinder can't be replaced. On the SL longer lenses are easiest to focus due to magnification and the focus snap enhancement. Not so different than comparing a rangefinder and a SLR.

I will add though for shallow DOF though like Noct-Nikkor wide open, Noctilux, or 75 Lux that it is probable that you would have a higher hit ratio with a SL over a rangefinder when shooting wide open.

I do agree with Huss that rangefinders can't be replaced. I own 4 film Leica M-bodies, a MM, and a LTM.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #143
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
At the Leica Store in SoHo on Thursday December 19 will be a SL2 Launching Event that includes a model shooting event, and artist talk, and a reception/party.

RSVP required. Other events like this in other Leica Stores.

My friend Jeff at Sunday's NYC Meet-Up reported that he borrowed a Q2 from the Leica booth and was impressed at the resolution of some road signs in Madhattan that were zoomed in on that were shot from Dumbo in Brooklyn during Photoville. 47 MP sensor shot with a wide (28mm FOV).

Jeff said it crushes a "Q" and that the new sensor should really start to exploit the native glass more fully. Remember I was told that the lens on the "Q" is "future Proofed" to 80 MP.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #144
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

What you wrote above is news to me. Do you have a source to back up these claims? Specifically how is optical IQ compromised by using M-glass on a SL.

In my 4 years of use I have not taken notice of any lower IQ. The reason to buy a SL or SL2 is to use it as a multiplatform, and to utilize all kinds of Leica glass without compromise.

As for the claim of SL2 micro lenses being rumor for optimization for M-lenses goes, I kinda believe David Farkas because in his 23 minute 28 second video on The Red Dot Forum he compares the SL and SL2. Somewhere after the first minute he begins and mentions specifically how the SL2 has micro lenses to specifically to deal with the "high incedence angle" of M-glass and mentions "a unique micro lens structure."

David then mentions "weak corner performance" by other cameras made by other manufacturers and specifically mentions how this is more pronounced with wides.

Know that David Farkus is a "Leica Specialist" like my friend John Kreider. If this is a rumor, then it is coming from Leica. Perhaps Leica is making stuff up that is untrue or making false claims. LOL.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvMqGCHUSM

Cal
Just watched it. He mentions that the SL and SL2 has micro lenses to work better with M glass. And yet in tests with M normal to wides, it has been documented that M cameras work better.

Look up Sean Reid's tests.

So do micro lenses actually exist on SLs? Think about it, they are a physical non moveable item designed to accommodate the offset angle from M glass which is much closer to the sensor than SLR etc lenses. How would a sensor optimized for rangefinder lenses and their much closer glass to sensor distance work well with native lenses with a much greater lens to sensor distance?
Leica has designed the new SL lenses to work perfectly with the SLs. Putting micro lenses on the sensor would hinder that so why would they handicap their SL lens performance just so people can adapt it when they can just use an M body?

I'm wondering if an independent source has actually examined the sensor on the SL (and eventually the SL2) to see if it does has micro lenses. Otherwise it is just a marketing spin.
Has Kolari looked at it?
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #145
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post

Know that David Farkus is a "Leica Specialist" like my friend John Kreider. If this is a rumor, then it is coming from Leica. Perhaps Leica is making stuff up that is untrue or making false claims. LOL.
Well Leica did lie about the sensors on the M9 series claiming there was nothing wrong with them. While they knew this was not the case.
So there's that.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #146
oldwino
Registered User
 
oldwino is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Just watched it. He mentions that the SL and SL2 has micro lenses to work better with M glass. And yet in tests with M normal to wides, it has been documented that M cameras work better.

Look up Sean Reid's tests.

So do micro lenses actually exist on SLs? Think about it, they are a physical non moveable item designed to accommodate the offset angle from M glass which is much closer to the sensor than SLR etc lenses. How would a sensor optimized for rangefinder lenses and their much closer glass to sensor distance work well with native lenses with a much greater lens to sensor distance?
Leica has designed the new SL lenses to work perfectly with the SLs. Putting micro lenses on the sensor would hinder that so why would they handicap their SL lens performance just so people can adapt it when they can just use an M body?

I'm wondering if an independent source has actually examined the sensor on the SL (and eventually the SL2) to see if it does has micro lenses. Otherwise it is just a marketing spin.
Has Kolari looked at it?
Yeah, the SL lenses would have to be designed with the micro lenses in mind, which would probably mean that the lenses would not perform well on other L alliance cameras, which do not have the micro lenses, such as the Panasonic. And I can't imagine that Leica would like to see reports on how "Leica lenses suck on my S1R", etc. They have a certain reputation to uphold.
__________________
wandering the Earth with an Leica I conv, M2, M-D, a bunch of old lenses, and occasionally a Makina W67 or Isolette III.

beckmeyerphotographs.format.com
current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #147
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Just watched it. He mentions that the SL and SL2 has micro lenses to work better with M glass. And yet in tests with M normal to wides, it has been documented that M cameras work better.

Look up Sean Reid's tests.

So do micro lenses actually exist on SLs? Think about it, they are a physical non moveable item designed to accommodate the offset angle from M glass which is much closer to the sensor than SLR etc lenses. How would a sensor optimized for rangefinder lenses and their much closer glass to sensor distance work well with native lenses with a much greater lens to sensor distance?
Leica has designed the new SL lenses to work perfectly with the SLs. Putting micro lenses on the sensor would hinder that so why would they handicap their SL lens performance just so people can adapt it when they can just use an M body?

I'm wondering if an independent source has actually examined the sensor on the SL (and eventually the SL2) to see if it does has micro lenses. Otherwise it is just a marketing spin.
Has Kolari looked at it?
Huss,

Thanks for the response.

What you say makes sense. Optics involves precision and being precise so optimization on a system level makes sense.

The M-lenses offer the best performance when on a M-body I accept. Conversely and on a systems level the "L" lenses are like the M-lenses mentioned above, in that the L-lenses are optimized for use on a L-body, then add in profiles for even further optimum corrections.

Makes sense on a system level stay within the system for the optimum results.

I must say I own a lot of old retro single coated glass that I use for B&W films, and these lenses display character and artifacts that I don't appreciate with digital, but my Noct-Nikkor, my 50 Lux-R "E60," and my 28 Cron V.1 are all great lenses for shooting digital and I don't see a suffering of IQ.

On December 19th is the SL2 Launch at the Leica Store in SoHo. Pretty much I'll be taking off from work because it is an all day event. I'll have the opportunity to see how these above lenses work on the SL2. I'll also have my native 50 Lux and APO 35 Cron on hand.

It will be interesting...

So the M-system is mature and developed.

Meanwhile the native L-glass is perhaps "future proofed" out to maybe 3-4 generations, and of course the "L" mount is less restricted than the M-mount, and design constraints to enforce compactness do not apply.

I suspect these off-platform non native glass that work so well mentioned above on my SL might bare some weakness that I might detect on the SL2.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #148
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,051
Either way the SL2 looks fantastic and I much prefer its minimal control and menu layout over the Panasonic or pretty much anyone else's offerings.
The evf is now even higher rez but I wonder if we will soon be at the point that we can no longer tell much difference from a usability POV.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #149
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Either way the SL2 looks fantastic and I much prefer its minimal control and menu layout over the Panasonic or pretty much anyone else's offerings.
The evf is now even higher rez but I wonder if we will soon be at the point that we can no longer tell much difference from a usability POV.
Huss,

I own a CL and I love the controls and layout. So simple and uncluttered. From others they also compare the SL2 controls to the CL.

One reviewer in a Leica promotion says the EVF surpasses an optical VF'er.

I have to get past all the hype. I'm sure like any camera there will be the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I found that I could get away with only owning the one OEM battery with the SL, but the SL2 reveals that it is a power hog. Looks likely at least two batteries required for a days worth of shooting. Also $250.00 for a battery. Ouch.

My SL was a bit of a hand warmer due to power consumption. I wonder about now the body does not have so much metal exposed, and rubber I know is an insulator. Not getting too far ahead of myself, but I guess I get an opportunity to see. I'll add an edit and post the SL2 release date for you in L.A. so you can RSVP if you want. Costs nothing.

I also wonder if the AF will be speedier on my native lenses. My 50 Lux renders beautifully, the AF is deadly accurate and not vauge, but like in the reports and reviews it is slow. The zooms focus faster, and the APO Cron is downright speedy already on my SL. Will the Maestro 3 processor speed up my AF?

My hope is that the 50 Lux speeds up, this way I can really exploit the F1.4 and IBIS. Right now my photography is at a turning point. The past 3 years I have been basically working for my gal who has done well as a fashion blogger. She quit her day-job, retired and is busier than ever. Nearly 700k followers, is a Go-Daddy girl (the commercial is still running), and you might have seen her billboarded in L.A.

I did mucho B&W work documenting a disappearing NYC so that when I'm forced to leave New York I have a sense of home to take with me. Know that I'm a gentrifier who somehow became an ethnographer. This body of work that began in 2007 with the Housing Crisis is now kinda played out and now I have an archive of sorts that will take the rest of my life to sort out. About half of this work just remains negatives (135 and 120).

For me it is timely that the SL2 got released now and that it has IBIS to exploit. NYC at night will be my new obsession. I was deeply impressed with the 3 1/2 stop IS built into the 24-90 zoom that Leica lent me for 3 weeks to cover NYC Fashion week about 3 years ago. The in lens IS really was crazy.

5 1/2 stops in body with the SL2 is a dream come true, and I already own the fast primes... I suspect that with the 47 MP that I'm not so sure the non native glass I love will be as great on the SL2 as they are on the SL. We raised the bar of sorts.

BTW I'm good at handheld low light. Now it seems I'll have a deadly weapon. The native L-glass has yet to be fully exploited...

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #150
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Huss,

11/24 Leica Store L.A. A RSVP is required. PM me and I'll forward you the link.

Itinerary:

11:00-11:20 AM Photowalk Check-In

11:30-12:30 PM Guided Photowalk with SL2 on loan.*

3:00-6:00 PM Pro Discovery with on site model.

6:30-7:30 PM Artist Talk and presentation.

7:30-9:00 PM Reception and hands on demo.

* Camera loans for Photowalk are offered on a first come first serve basis. Valid ID, Credit Card, and SD Card required.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #151
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
It seems that the SL2 is for the future oriented photographer while the M10 is for the RF traditional photographer. The rest are "minor details"
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #152
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Huss,

11/24 Leica Store L.A. A RSVP is required. PM me and I'll forward you the link.

Itinerary:

11:00-11:20 AM Photowalk Check-In

11:30-12:30 PM Guided Photowalk with SL2 on loan.*

3:00-6:00 PM Pro Discovery with on site model.

6:30-7:30 PM Artist Talk and presentation.

7:30-9:00 PM Reception and hands on demo.

* Camera loans for Photowalk are offered on a first come first serve basis. Valid ID, Credit Card, and SD Card required.

Cal

I would really benefit so much from having an SL or SL2 for a day or part of a day. Else, I am not ready to buy any camera soon.

Pensacola is too small of a city to have SL2 cameras being introduced here. This is life. We have white sand beaches but no Leica Store.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #153
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
It seems that the SL2 is for the future oriented photographer while the M0 is for the RF traditional photographer. The rest are "minor details"
Raid,

I'm a CF. I thought long and hard about spending this kinda money.

Had to suffer shooting fashion with the limitations of B&W since the MM was my only digital camera. Funny thing is that because my gal's fashion blog was all in B&W it stood out and quickly gained traction 5 years ago.

Pretty much I learned a profound lesson. If you want to stand out, don't do what everyone else is doing.

When I got the SL I decided to hold out for the 50 Lux, and avoided buying the 24-90 zoom. Had to wait over two years due to Leica delays, then there was the painful waiting list...

The APO 35 Cron was easier.

At this point I can do lots of shooting with just my wide and a normal. In fact I'll likely rig the SL with my APO 35 Cron, and a SL2 with the 50 Lux.

I hope this helps. What I'm suggesting is think about the longer timeline, what your own needs are, and what is best for you. Everyone is different.

Initially I was able to be patient because both the Noct-Nikkor and 50 Lux "E60" are not only remarkably good for digital, they are also inspiring lenses.

Also buy to keep, and try to spend your money only once. All my manual focus lenses still serve my film cameras very well.

Lastly Huss was really helpful in adding clarity: nothing like an M; and if you really want to exploit a system and go all the way then stay within the system for full exploitation.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #154
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I would really benefit so much from having an SL or SL2 for a day or part of a day. Else, I am not ready to buy any camera soon.

Pensacola is too small of a city to have SL2 cameras being introduced here. This is life. We have white sand beaches but no Leica Store.
Raid,

There is an event in Miami. Let me check the date. If you want to RSVP, PM me with your e-mail and I'll forward you the link.

Costs nothing. Pretty much a one day camera vacation for free. Nerd-out and live life obsessively. LOL.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #155
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Raid,

The date for Miami is Tuesday 12/17.

My geography of FLA is not so good, but I know in Pensacola there is a Navy pilot training base located there.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #156
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Raid,

The date for Miami is Tuesday 12/17.

My geography of FLA is not so good, but I know in Pensacola there is a Navy pilot training base located there.

Cal
Thank you for your feedback, Cal. It is very useful.

As for Pensacola and Miami, it would be a 12 hour car drive. By plane, it is faster!
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #157
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Raid,

I'm a CF. I thought long and hard about spending this kinda money.

Had to suffer shooting fashion with the limitations of B&W since the MM was my only digital camera. Funny thing is that because my gal's fashion blog was all in B&W it stood out and quickly gained traction 5 years ago.

Pretty much I learned a profound lesson. If you want to stand out, don't do what everyone else is doing.

When I got the SL I decided to hold out for the 50 Lux, and avoided buying the 24-90 zoom. Had to wait over two years due to Leica delays, then there was the painful waiting list...

The APO 35 Cron was easier.

At this point I can do lots of shooting with just my wide and a normal. In fact I'll likely rig the SL with my APO 35 Cron, and a SL2 with the 50 Lux.

I hope this helps. What I'm suggesting is think about the longer timeline, what your own needs are, and what is best for you. Everyone is different.

Initially I was able to be patient because both the Noct-Nikkor and 50 Lux "E60" are not only remarkably good for digital, they are also inspiring lenses.

Also buy to keep, and try to spend your money only once. All my manual focus lenses still serve my film cameras very well.

Lastly Huss was really helpful in adding clarity: nothing like an M; and if you really want to exploit a system and go all the way then stay within the system for full exploitation.

Cal



I may favor staying within the M system for full exploitation, as you have said.

Is there a Leica M 10-X planned?
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #158
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thank you for your feedback, Cal. It is very useful.

As for Pensacola and Miami, it would be a 12 hour car drive. By plane, it is faster!
Raid,

Have one of those Navy Fly-Boys drop you off. BTW FLA is a big state.

I hitched hiked down 95 from New York in the 70"s. Only had $14.00 in my pocket, my friend Richie had $25.00. We stayed arround/near Fort Lauderdale.

What I learned on that trip is about freedom and being care free. I was 17 at the time.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #159
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I may favor staying within the M system for full exploitation, as you have said.

Is there a Leica M 10-X planned?
Raid,

That is another can of worms. Do a search on "Leica Rumors." You'll get data mined and then forwarded all this camera smut pertaining to Leica.

Already mucho M rumors. Go see for yourself.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #160
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 62
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I may favor staying within the M system for full exploitation, as you have said.

Is there a Leica M 10-X planned?
Looks like a possibility according to Leica Rumors. But the longer I use my M10-P (and M-P 240 before it) I'm thinking 24 megapixels is plenty for me (just about perfect, in fact).

Plus, I doubt anyone would get the full benefit out of a 40+ megapixel M camera without using a tripod.
__________________
Leica M10-P
Leica CL
Various Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:43.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.