Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Digital Cameras (not a rant)
Old 12-10-2006   #1
Magnus

Digital Cameras (not a rant)

I even red in some thread that Backalley had bought a digital camera, have any other "die-hard" film users bought digital cameras, and actually use them?

Me for one, have always had something against digitalism, nothing that would stand up in court just some personal thoughts.

I have a Fuji F30, a Ricoh GRD a Sony R1 and an M8, the M8 I like the least, it produces nice results but so does my Sony R1.

The camera to rave about is the little F30, taking the price into account is a great camera, shoot at 1600 ... marvelous pictures, highly transportable and as I said cheap.

The GRD is another great digicam, compact (except with the 28/21 viewfinder) but produces almost print like results, with this the noise really does look like grain.

The R1 is a digital Rolleiflex, the lens is great and you can shoot from the waste, and it is silent, I mean no noise what so ever, the noise-noise I mean.

I have actually started to enjoy using digital, I use them often and I use them "dedicated" each one has another use than the other.

I have also come to enjoy the electronic processing now that I have got some insight in CS2 and the stuff needed to print good prints....

Only draw back might be the amount of shots you can take, my sons 2nd birthday ... 1287 shots in total (1day shooting) but for the rest Digital is great

btw. I still do my 2 rolls of film a week, which I have been doing for the past 20 years, this is my pictorial diary, on avaerage about 20% is actually printed (by myself) and put into Albums. In all these years I have not shot daily on 2 occasions, for the rest every day is documented.... with B&W film

Old 12-10-2006   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Ahhh .. a thread that discusses digital without hysteria ... onya Magnus!

I have a Nikon D70s and a Canon A620, both of which are pretty well pinacles in their function/price catagories. The Canon is a go anywhere 7 megapixel wonder point and shoot that constantly amazes me and the Nikon is probably one of the finest, if a little dated now, pro-sumer digital SLR's ever made. It seems to do what a lot of digitals fail to achieve and endures in the face of constant technical upgrades from all around it! It's damned near a digital 'classic'.

I do, however, get much more pleasure from my film cameras and always feel far more involved when using them! The digitals are my Toyota Prius and the film rangefinders are my Aston Martin.....

Old 12-10-2006   #3
hitmanh
dum de dum de doo

I started with a canon 20d, which still is my main camera. However I got in rangefinders as I wanted a smaller, sturdier camera for street photgraphy and hiking/biking. I've found I enjoy the film camera as much as the digital. I'm not planning on getting rid of my 20d anytime soon though, but I am going to start developing my own b&w film.
Both formats have there advantage...

Cheers

Matt

Old 12-10-2006   #4
Magnus

No... I think Digital is starting to grow up. so no hysteria here, a couple of years back however think of the amount of over-sharpened, over saturated, over everythinged pictures of flowers, dogs, insects, cats, zoo scenes etc etc. Now theres a certain stream of good looking, and chosen digital recorder pictures to be found on the web, the macro's have died out a bit as have the tulips and feline subjects .....

Old 12-10-2006   #5
Jamie123

The only digital camera I have is a Panasonic FX9 which I like a lot but don't use that often. Oh...and my Sony Ericsson K750i . At the moment I shoot mostly medium format film.

I might buy myself a nice "full frame" dSLR like the Canon 5d one day but at the moment I simply wouldn't be using it often enough to justify the cost. After all I might aswell wait until the 5d's successor comes out and buy the 5d at half the price

Old 12-10-2006   #6
peter_n
~

I have a little Sony DSC P-100 with 5.1MP that I like a lot. I bought it because it's red. See the name on that lens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ak_dscp100r.jpg (14.3 KB, 56 views)

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-10-2006   #7
Toby
On the alert

I shoot a canon 20d and must admit it outstrips any film camera in low light which was one of any rangefinder strong points, if there was a decent P&S digi with real manual usability then I think my bessa's days would be numbered.

Old 12-10-2006   #8
Gid

I have a couple of Olympus E1s and an Epson R-D1. The Epson got me into RF. I have since acquired an M6 and a Bronica RF645 and I inherited a canon F1. I love them all and use them all, but RF is my favourite. I develop my own B&W, but scan and print digitally - may do wet prints one day when I can find the space and time. I love the immediacy of digital, but really like the film process - makes me work harder. They all bring something unique to the table. Long live diversity.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 12-10-2006   #9
back alley
IMAGES

you read right!
i have a panasonic fz20 and i quite like it.
i had a canon a620 and a canon g2 before that.
i like digital for some things. i think they make a perfect point & shoot camera for one thing.
if i could afford a drf i would buy one of those also.

Old 12-10-2006   #10
oscroft

Quote:
have any other "die-hard" film users bought digital cameras, and actually use them?
I've got a Fuji FinePix S7000 and it's very good for what I use it for - to record events and when the subject matter is all that counts, and I can shoot lots of frames at zero cost and with great convenience. (I also use it for shots of my tarantulas - it has decent macro modes - and that's really what I got it for). But I have no use for it at all when it comes to photography as art - the quality of film, and the flexibility of lens, film, and developing choice means that film cameras are the only option for me.

My Flickr

Old 12-10-2006   #11
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Yep, happily own and use an Oly C5050 and a Panasonic FZ50. I still prefer the tactile feel of a manual film camera though. They all have their place at the table and it is nice to have the choice.

Bob

Old 12-10-2006   #12
aad
Not so new now.

I'm considering a Canon G7 as sort of a rangefinder replacement-other than that, just a Nikon Coolpix 2200-2.2 megapixels. It actually works pretty well.

If the RD1 was $1000 or less, I'd likely buy one. I have trouble justifying the current cost for what I do with a camera-at least, not with all the film cameras I have.

Old 12-10-2006   #13
kuvvy

Magnus I have an F30 too and yes it is good. My XA never goes out now.
I just bought a Canon G7 and that is good too but I'm still learning to use that.

But because of digital I find myself drifting away from film and I never thought I would. As I said my XA has been taken over by the F30 and whenever I leave the house I end up taking one of the digis instead of my film options. Yet my film cams are superb. My Contax G2, bought only 5 months ago has had only 3 rolls through it. My Konica Hexar Silver has been used once in the last year. My OM-1 has been out only once this year too.

What's worse is my wife has offered to by me a DSLR and I just can't say yes as I feel so guilty about not using this super equipment I already have.

What the heck is happening to me? I'm being taken over by some evil digi-being.

Can't you guys save me?

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 12-10-2006   #14
arbib

I started with a RF when I was 15. and did my own loading and developing and printing. then I got a SLR for HS Graduation. from there it was SLR for years, I tried a RF again, a Leica M5, (to much $$$ for a mid 20 year old to keep with). Down the road, I stuck with SLR's until I fell in love ( ) and sold everything (2 bodies and a bounch of lens's) to help pay for moving to the state where she lived. (A real love story, huh)

It took about 10 years before I got back to Photography, and bought my 1st Digicam...Fuji 2800 (2mp with nice 6x zoom). Then after I got the PP of images down, I got a Oly 5050. (Very nice Camera indeed). Now I own a Canon D60 with 3 lens's.

But I have begun to get back to my roots (Film) I have a Canon EOS 1, and as my second film camera, I bought from a member here, a Very nice Kiev 4a and now I have 3 len's for that. I like both Digital and film. And I like RF's too. And as a 3rd Film camera, I just bought a Nikkormat FTN with a 50/2, and just added a 35/2 Nikkor "O" to it. Which will be the lens that stays on the 'Mat most of the time.

I have been shooting film more and more. And may still get rid of the D60.. Dono yet.

But Digital has a place, and for me, it is in the Studio. No more reshoots because I did not get it right the first time with film. (I may shoot a film dupe of the digital though).

Old 12-10-2006   #15
FrankS

Kuvvy's being assimilated by the digital Borg! Quick everyone, time for an intervention!

photography makes me happy

Old 12-10-2006   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Kuvvy's being assimilated by the digital Borg! Quick everyone, time for an intervention!

The digital Borg ... I like that seven of nine!

Old 12-10-2006   #17
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I have digital SLR's (d100's) that I find enormously helpful for event shooting, headshots, location scouting and a few other random photo jobs. Mine paid for themselves and a few toys the first weekend I had 'em. Jobs where I need images in quantity quickly, and where I won't have the option of reshooting and need a backup.

But beyond that, I almost always reach for film first. I've thought about getting a nice pocket digi, but I just can't seem to make myself give up the XA or the Rollei 35.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 12-10-2006   #18
back alley
IMAGES

i looked at a canon g7 and i liked it!

Old 12-10-2006   #19
Tin

Yes, I also have a Sony R1. Magnus - I like you description of it a s Rolleiflex. That wasd one of the reasons that I bought it. The other reasons being the 24mm equivalent wide, the Zeiss lens, and the great price. It is a bit heavy and bulky, but so is a dSLR with two zooms.

Although I haven't used it enough yet, ut for the few months that I have had it, I like the camera very much. Combined with my Bessa R2 with a wide angle lens, I can pretty much go anywhere.

Old 12-10-2006   #20
amateriat
We're all light!

I've played with high- and low-end digital cameras for several years. I shoot 95% film for my own stuff as well as for clients (who as a rule don't require results within a few hours – sometimes they need stuff overnight, but I can actually handle that via film, much to their delight and occasional amazement), but try hard to keep an open mind about digital capture.

My current (and only) digital is an old-but-decent, 2.1mp Olympus D-510 Zoom p/s, which does a pretty good job within its limits and is practically overkill for the relatively mundane tasks I call upon it for (images to accompany eBay/Craigslist postings, among other stuff). I can't deal with SLRs much anymore, whether film or digital, for a number of reasons. All-time favorite digicam so far is Olympus' C8080, which for me is the right size, right lens, right mix of capabilities, and if I can find one for not too much cash, that'll replace the 510 as the one digital I'd need for anything, including the occasional client who does need something within a few hours – it's that good. Funny thing is, this camera has the one feature I initially loathed most in digicams (EVF), but in this case I've come to tolerate it at least.

So, no, digital ain't evil. It's just not a big part of the picture for me.

First image: with D-510Z. Second image: with borrowed C8080.

- Barrett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8140018.jpg (87.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Allegra.jpg (120.8 KB, 333 views)

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Last edited by amateriat : 12-10-2006 at 14:15.

Old 12-10-2006   #21
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

While it is possible to take wildlife photos with an RF:

...it's far from ideal.

I'll keep using my dSLR and big white zoom for that, and sports and lots of other things. And I'll keep my pocket digicam as my go-everywhere camera. But for those things that RFs do well, I'll keep using and enjoying them.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 12-10-2006   #22
RObert Budding

I use a Nikon D200 to capture shots of my kids' sports games. I'm new to sports photography, so the delete button is handy. But I'll probably add a F100 eventually.

Old 12-10-2006   #23
mjflory
Accumulator

While I've read many posts scorning macrophotography, I am quite taken with it. I've tried close-up lenses on RF's, but my film setups usually consisted of a macro lens (possibly with a 1:1 extender) on a bellows on an SLR, sometimes with a ring flash, and I just hoped I'd guessed right on the exposure compensation. A few months ago I bought a Sony DSC-T5, with its tiny Zeiss lenses that focus to within 1cm, and I've had loads of fun sneaking up on bees and the like. The camera fits in my shirt pocket and takes several hundred pictures of quite acceptable resolution without reloading or recharging. It's all but useless handheld in low light and I wouldn't want to make huge prints from the images, but for that I've got my CL (which feels big by comparison).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dandelion.JPG (72.5 KB, 19 views)

Old 12-10-2006   #24
GeneW

I have a Canon S3 IS that is relatively compact (like a mini-DSLR) and very handy. It has a zoom equivalent of about 35-420mm + image stabilization. It's very lightweight and easy to carry around and a fun shooter. It accounts for maybe 40% of my shooting.

The rest goes to film -- RF and SLR. Although digi is more convenient, I like my film cams better from an aesthetic point of view. Maybe because I grew up using manual focus cameras ...

Gene

Old 12-10-2006   #25
IGMeanwell

My main event shooter is my D50 (compact and great in low light) ... then my everyday carry with me camera is the F30

haven't been disappointed at all with those

yes I am highly involved with the Digital shooting at this point

Yashica Electro 35 GS

Polaroid Model 250

Olympus 35rc (nonfunctional )

Old 12-10-2006   #26
andersju

I sold my Leica M4-P and got a Ricoh GRD w/Voigtländer 28/35 mini-finder instead and I don't regret it one bit. As is often mentioned the noise looks very good, the camera is virtually silent in snap mode (which I use most of the time), it's quite small & discrete, I can take it with me all the time.. perfect stealth camera? Perhaps.

I've used it for all the photos at http://2038.cc/ (recently started, more to come; pardon my not-yet-so-good post-processing skills). Most are ISO 800, no noise reduction.

Old 12-10-2006   #27
jody
Broke User

I use my panasonic fz20 for any photo I have to zoom for, sports where I feel digital is best, and to check exposure at times kinda like a polariod back. I shoot film rest of time because I like the challenge. I don't develop my film yet. I like rangefinders for low light and street. All my SLRs have prime lenses on them now because the zooms are crap. (that I own). The panasonic has 2.8 apeture thruout the whole zoom and is made by Leica. I also have a small minolta dimage x60 for fitting in my front pocket so that I can always have a camera if needed.

My Blog

Old 12-10-2006   #28
swoop

I use two digitals. A canon 20D SLR and an A700 P&S. The A700 I use for little things. Like pics of my camera's. Out with some friends. I loan it out occasionally. I bought it primarily to bring with me while mountain biking. Because I'll often run into interesting stuff. The video function comes in handy also.

The 20D I use for studio work and that's about it. I hardly ever take it out. I honestly can not take a digital camera seriously even if it is of professional caliber. I'll admit in a studio enviorment it comes in handy a great deal. The preview LCD is equivlant to using polaroids to check one's lighting. Also, it's an SLR, and they're simply too bulky to carry around with me for photojournalism work. Which is my major. I imagine I might be ble to cope with a digital rangefinder. But I still have my doubts.

Old 12-10-2006   #29
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

For me it's 50/50 between a Nikon D50 and a Bessa-T. They complement each other wonderfully. For multiple flash and/or macro, the DSLR is the way to go, and for portability it's the T with a 25/4 or a collapsible 50..

For as far as digi P&S are concerned, I've had 3 and have found them lacking in all kinds of respects. Image quality, build quality and handling.. they're just not worth the money when compared to a DSLR or a decent film RF..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 12-11-2006   #30
kuvvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar

For as far as digi P&S are concerned, I've had 3 and have found them lacking in all kinds of respects. Image quality, build quality and handling.. they're just not worth the money when compared to a DSLR or a decent film RF..

I think the quality of at least some digi P&S are pretty good. Here is an example from my F30. Taken of an ornate ceiling in York Minster two weeks ago, it was taken by lying the F30 on the floor and firing, the next is a 100% crop of the original. Taken on Auto, camera chose 1/15th, f2.8, 200 iso.

I don't think it's too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1741_web.jpg (562.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1741_web100.jpg (281.5 KB, 25 views)

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 12-11-2006   #31
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy
I think the quality of at least some digi P&S are pretty good. Here is an example from my F30. Taken of an ornate ceiling in York Minster two weeks ago, it was taken by lying the F30 on the floor and firing, the next is a 100% crop of the original. Taken on Auto, camera chose 1/15th, f2.8, 200 iso.

I don't think it's too bad.
No, the resolution is there, and the noise characteristics of some models is fine.

What I miss, is being able to work DOF and the smoothness of bigger formats.. but of course, this is all a matter of taste.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 12-11-2006   #32
IGMeanwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar
No, the resolution is there, and the noise characteristics of some models is fine.

What I miss, is being able to work DOF and the smoothness of bigger formats.. but of course, this is all a matter of taste.
That is my biggest complaint about working with P&S ... I love control over depth of field and as we all know digital P&S have seemingly infinite depth of field but little control over it

This is why my Fuji F30 isn't my first choice when taking a photo... but of course its great at what it does so its certainly not the last

Yashica Electro 35 GS

Polaroid Model 250

Olympus 35rc (nonfunctional )

Old 12-11-2006   #33
markinlondon
Elmar user

I have a Fuji F11 which I bought earlier this year when the end of line price cut kicked in. I chose it for its long battery life, close focus and high ISO capability. I'm slowly coming to terms with it, soon I may even be able to say I like it. I really, really hate not being in charge of the camera.

Getting on with photgraphy

My flickr

My Top Ten

Mitherings

Old 12-11-2006   #34
ZeissFan

The Canon G7 was recently reviewed by Amateur Photographer. Basically, the problem of tiny sensors continues. The primary criticisms were noise at all ISO settings, now RAW, lens distortion at wide and telephoto and narrow dynamic range.

I'm using an Olympus E-500. Nice camera, although it has a lot of creaks when you grip the body tightly. But it is what it is -- mass produced digital camera that serves a purpose -- turn out photos quickly.

The camera struggles in low light and the noise above ISO 640 isn't pleasant. I don't find digital noise to be like film grain. I really find it be quite objectionable.

My wife loves the camera with its quick zoom and ability to pop off several shots at once. So she's happy. We had to take some photos for her column, and so we popped off about 90 of them roughly 30 minutes. She was glad she could run through them all and find the one that she liked.

Quality was quite good, and the ability to white balance made a big difference.

I still have a Sony 828 and a couple of Nikons. Those are good for closeups and of course photographing classic cameras.

Old 12-11-2006   #35
femto

same to me!

beside the Olympus 35 SP I'm regular using now, I own an Olympus E-500 with some fine lenses from Olympus, the 50mm/2.0, which is a wonderful lens for macros and portraits, the 14-54mm/2.8-3.5 zoom for everyday (and holiday ) use and last but not least the marvelous 50-200mm/2.8-3.5 zoom, which is great for taking telephotos. the E-500 by it self is a small and decent digital SLR with a quite mirror and shutter noise. the low light abilities are a little bit limited, there's too much noise with higher ISO ratings.

~HD

Old 12-11-2006   #36
MelanieC

Macro photos can be fun. I took these with my old Nikon Coolpix 950 (2 megapixels). It was the shizz in 1999.

Old 12-11-2006   #37
mjflory
Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieC
Macro photos can be fun. I took these with my old Nikon Coolpix 950 (2 megapixels). It was the shizz in 1999.
I love the blue beetle -- especially the red coating on his lenses!

-- Michael