Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

For those who have pre-ordered the M8
Old 10-21-2006   #1
haotong

For those who have pre-ordered the M8

My pre-order was made in Feb 2006 in an authorized dealer in London, and I am currently one of the top five people in the waiting list. I called my dealer couple of times asking the "first batch" date in late September, and he told me it would be Late October, and yesterday I was told that it would be Early to Middle November.

When I was browsing most M8 topics in the forum, I found the shipping date is said to be Late November or December.... and what is more "the M8 production is "pre-ordered" into January 2007."

I am getting a bit confused and a bit out-of-patient.... : )

So could anyone, especially who are on the 'top of the waiting list" confirms me that "I can get my M8 next week!?"

thanks

Old 10-21-2006   #2
Leicabug

It seems to me that Leica has alloted a certain number of M8 to each dealer so each dealer know how exactly how many M8 he will receive on the first shipment. If you are one of the top five and the dealer is going to receive more than 5 M8, you should be among the first to receive it.
People that went to Leica in Solm saw boxes of M8 at the time 0f Photokina. They reported that Leica plans to ship all 2000 units worldwide at the same time. Allow a few weeks for softwear installation and delivery(both to Leica USA and then to dealers). My guess is at least November or later.

Old 10-21-2006   #3
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

My dealer quoted "end of October" I'm #1 on his list. The 2000 shipment worldwide seems to be a fact, but a number went to reviewers, journalists and pro's, so my guess for us mere mortals would be the first week(s) of November. Official first delivery date is November 23rd.

jaapvphotography

Old 10-21-2006   #4
Bob Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicabug
It seems to me that Leica has alloted a certain number of M8 to each dealer so each dealer know how exactly how many M8 he will receive on the first shipment. If you are one of the top five and the dealer is going to receive more than 5 M8, you should be among the first to receive it.
People that went to Leica in Solm saw boxes of M8 at the time 0f Photokina. They reported that Leica plans to ship all 2000 units worldwide at the same time. Allow a few weeks for softwear installation and delivery(both to Leica USA and then to dealers). My guess is at least November or later.
I was told br Eric at Tamarkin NY that the expected first shipment arrival in the US by air cargo was Nov 15th. The shipment would go through customs and then to Leica USA for processing and separation into shipments to dealers.
Given your info about all going out at the same time, we should start to hear from folks in Germany first, to tell us they are on their way.
Bob

Old 10-23-2006   #5
gloec

Here in Greece, the official Leica distributor told me that the first cameras will be available in the beginning of January. Also, he said that they have not any official announcement from Leica about the release date which unofficially was the middle of November....

Old 10-23-2006   #6
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloec
Here in Greece, the official Leica distributor told me that the first cameras will be available in the beginning of January. Also, he said that they have not any official announcement from Leica about the release date which unofficially was the middle of November....
That sucks. In your place I would approach a reputable dealer in Germany.

jaapvphotography

Old 10-23-2006   #7
J. Borger

Come on guys .. you make fools of yourself .. everybody is on the the top 2, top 5 etc list .. how can yo be sure of this? You have a lot of trust in dealers
I am on a list myself .. but i still see myself waiting and waiting untill i spot M8 on the shelf of a local store, where nobody knows what an M8 is, and buy it there!
Before end of the year would be fine with me .. i have fun with the R-D1 in the mean time.

Last edited by J. Borger : 10-23-2006 at 15:20.

Old 10-24-2006   #8
gloec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv
That sucks. In your place I would approach a reputable dealer in Germany.
They are very reputable here in Greece, they also run the Leica Academy, and they can sell the camera in twelve monthly interest free installments.
I visited them today and they said that there is no way the camera will be shipped earlier than January 2007. They also said that there is no official announcement of the release date by Leica Germany (this is true, isn't it?).
We just have to wait and see

Old 10-24-2006   #9
khoking

official release date of Leica M8 is late November... Currently I have one customer from USA in my waiting list at ShaShinKi.com

Old 10-27-2006   #10
StuartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Borger
Come on guys .. you make fools of yourself .. everybody is on the the top 2, top 5 etc list .. how can yo be sure of this? You have a lot of trust in dealers
I am on a list myself .. but i still see myself waiting and waiting untill i spot M8 on the shelf of a local store, where nobody knows what an M8 is, and buy it there!
Before end of the year would be fine with me .. i have fun with the R-D1 in the mean time.
Heh, for my part, my dealer said I am number 72 on his list, so we can't all be at the top! He said that he hoped that it would be available by the end of December. The DMR will keep me company until then.

Old 10-27-2006   #11
Donald Mann

They advertised it in the October 21 New York Times . . . so it must be avaialable now! :-)

Old 10-30-2006   #12
greggebhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Borger
Does not sound like YOUR dealer is reputable.

My dealer gave me a number and I have no doubts of my place in line.

Old 10-30-2006   #13
Magnus

some guy in france just wrote on leica forum that he is able to pick it up this afternoon at his dealer .... Seems rahter steep as the rest of the world has to wait at leats until nov-dec

Old 10-30-2006   #14
J. Borger

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Does not sound like YOUR dealer is reputable.

My dealer gave me a number and I have no doubts of my place in line.
It's just typical that nobody seems to be nr 6, 7 or 8 etc. on a waiting list who frequents the forums.... everybody is 1 or 2 .....
Not to mention that you can be nr 20 on the list of a large Leica dealer and have the camera sooner than somebody who is nr 1 with a small dealer .......... it's just a gamble ..!

Old 10-30-2006   #15
devils-advocate

I suspect Leica is playing the "under-promise/over-deliver" game. The cameras they have sent to reviewers are full production models, which mean they are ready. The real question is volume. I am #4 on my dealer's list (but two of those want chrome??????) so my odds aren't bad...or so I keep telling myself.

A lot will depend on how Leica choses to distribute the cameras. There will be far fewer bodies than orders in the first production run. Your relationship with your dealer might matter less than their relationship with Leica....

...it's all so very exciting. We are lining up like puppies at the food-dish....except we're waiting to give someone else $5,000 of our hard earned money!

Old 10-30-2006   #16
J. Borger

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils-advocate
IA lot will depend on how Leica choses to distribute the cameras. There will be far fewer bodies than orders in the first production run. Your relationship with your dealer might matter less than their relationship with Leica....
That's correct ..... according to my information the M8 bodys are distributed in rato to the dealers total anual Leica sales .............. sounds logical and fair to me.

Old 10-30-2006   #17
egpj
50 Summilux is da DEVIL!

hmmm... I think I am somewhere around number 50...WOOHOOO! At least I'm not 51 on the list.

Photographers work I am interested in: Jon Kral; HCB the portraits
Equipment I am using: 2 MP's an MP3 and some lenses

Gallery

My Homepage

Old 10-30-2006   #18
Gid

I spoke to Robert White a couple of days ago regarding the size of their list. I was told that if I wanted put down a deposit I would get one in the first quarter of next year - they've either got a very big list or very limited supply. I didn't put down a deposit

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 10-30-2006   #19
StuartR

I was at Leica USA today and got the chance to check out a Chrome M8. It was great to finally get my hands on one. Unfortunately it was the only one they had on hand and the battery was not charged. Evidently every single one they have has been sent out to the reps or reviewers. They said it has been crazy. Anyone in the New York area should head to Photo East this weekend though. There are going to be some there that people will be able to check out.

As for when I will get mine, who knows? I was number 2 for the DMR at Popflash Photo and I got it in September of 2005 after ordering it 9 months earlier. As number 2, I got it several months after the first person got his. Now I am number 70 something and I will probably get it a lot sooner. It's just a mess. There is no real way to tell who is going to get what when. Just sit back, relax, and wait for the M8's to sail in from Solms...

Old 10-30-2006   #20
AShearer

I'm on the list at Tamarkin. I was told the same as Bob that the cameras will hit the docks 11-15. Add about two weeks for processing, shipping etc.

I have no idea what number I am on the list, nor does it make any difference to me. Tamarkin is a high volume dealer. I would think they would get a pretty good allocation. Since I am a chrome guy, according to Eric I will probably get one of the first batch. Since I was willing to plunk down my credit card in advance, i.e. commit, that increases the chances.

It will come when it comes. In the meantime, I'm having sufficient fun with my MP and new lenses.

My Gallery

Leica MP, 35 f2 ASPH, 50 f2 Cron , 90 Elmarit-M f2.8, 28 f2 ASPH, 50 ASPH Lux. Yashica GT,

Old 10-30-2006   #21
Tony Rose
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv
My dealer quoted "end of October" I'm #1 on his list. The 2000 shipment worldwide seems to be a fact, but a number went to reviewers, journalists and pro's, so my guess for us mere mortals would be the first week(s) of November. Official first delivery date is November 23rd.

The initial shipment of 2000 M8s was cut down to 1500 before release. We should see some but few the first week of November.

TR

Old 10-31-2006   #22
Roger Willco

Is anyone on the waiting list with two different dealers?

What would you do if the UPS truck arrived with two packages?

Rog